Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Thanks for the pics, I opted for the black but was bummed to see it’s not a true black like the base 15’s. I’m a little confused though, you bought 2 phones or you are returning the natural and buying a black one? I want to swap mine out for a natural but the local Apple Store said they do not do that, always thought we had 14 days??
I bought 2. I pre-ordered black after seeing NT introduced. It seemed too warm for my liking. When reviews and photos started to release, it appeared cooler.

Bought one when it became available in store. It definitely varies between warm and cool. I just don’t care for the warm variation at all. I was hoping for cool grey/silver.

I would love a truly black phone again like the 7 series. I do think this is the closest it’s gotten since then.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
people buying two phones and returning one just because the color is slightly ever greyish.

while tons of other guys still waiting for theirs to be delivered

dick move abusing the return policy
Happens every year. Entitlement is just so ingrained in our society now, people can't even recognize it anymore. Sad.

Reactions: ChinaRye and dchoco

Jeweller

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Denver
Too warm and gold or gray and boring seems to be the consensus of those who say they don't like Nat Ti. Personally, I find it a complex color that will age well and people will come to appreciate. All the other colors they released are pretty derivative of past colors. New black looks nearly identical to my black 14 Pro. White is nice and clean but basically another version of all the other silver band/white back iPhones they've released since the X. Blue is nice and subtle in it's own way but barely differentiates itself from black. It's surprising they even released black with how almost black it can appear. Reminds me of my Midnight iPhone 13. Would have loved to see them nix black this year in favor of another unique fourth option. Also, IMO nothing beats Sierra Blue in terms of a truly blue iPhone. To this day, when I see people with one I regret not upgrading to it back then. Might have skipped Nat Ti and gone another year with that color 😉

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
Saw a couple threads that inquired about the NT color way, but the pictures were few.

I took a bunch of different angles and threw in a couple different material backgrounds and lights to show the varying shades of the phone.

Initial rumors said the phone was gray. I was excited, but all the Apple material made the phone look sandy/muted beige.

Because of that I opted for launch day black titanium. Saw the NT phone in store and it was pleasantly more gray than the printed materials.

After owning NT for a couple days, my conclusion is that the back is legitimately gray with the slightest shimmer of gold in the right light.

The bands however, are tinted just a bit more gold than the back itself, but it still has an overall gray profile.

I’ll be returning the NT and sticking with black. I like cool grey/wolf grey. If the back was the same with a cooler-toned silver on the bands and camera housing, I would’ve kept it. It’s just ever-so-slightly too warm for me.

View attachment 2283262 View attachment 2283265 View attachment 2283263 View attachment 2283264 View attachment 2283266 View attachment 2283267 View attachment 2283268

View attachment 2283269 View attachment 2283270 View attachment 2283271
I wish the tone was even warmer

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Thanks for the pics, I opted for the black but was bummed to see it’s not a true black like the base 15’s. I’m a little confused though, you bought 2 phones or you are returning the natural and buying a black one? I want to swap mine out for a natural but the local Apple Store said they do not do that, always thought we had 14 days??

Did you activate via a carrier deal? That can be an issue with returns. If it wasn't; a return/buy the one you want/xfer service should work.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
@Phonzoxd Actually, I can get behind this because it doesn’t sway one way or the other. It kind of teeters in the middle. Gold here, gray there, but not truly one or the other.

If it were truly on the warm end I never would’ve considered it and if it were on the cold end, I wouldn’t have thought twice to get it.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
How do you feel about the color profile of the phone? Do you think it leans cooler, warmer or just simply gray?
The color is what it is. Varying ambient lighting will impact one's perception of cool/warm/gray. I have only had mine for a day, but I do like the Natural Titanium alloy color under all different ambient lighting. IMO the color is identical to the AW Ultra, and I have liked that for a year now.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Saw a couple threads that inquired about the NT color way, but the pictures were few.

I took a bunch of different angles and threw in a couple different material backgrounds and lights to show the varying shades of the phone.

Initial rumors said the phone was gray. I was excited, but all the Apple material made the phone look sandy/muted beige.

Because of that I opted for launch day black titanium. Saw the NT phone in store and it was pleasantly more gray than the printed materials.

After owning NT for a couple days, my conclusion is that the back is legitimately gray with the slightest shimmer of gold in the right light.

The bands however, are tinted just a bit more gold than the back itself, but it still has an overall gray profile.

I’ll be returning the NT and sticking with black. I like cool grey/wolf grey. If the back was the same with a cooler-toned silver on the bands and camera housing, I would’ve kept it. It’s just ever-so-slightly too warm for me.

View attachment 2283262 View attachment 2283265 View attachment 2283263 View attachment 2283264 View attachment 2283266 View attachment 2283267 View attachment 2283268

View attachment 2283269 View attachment 2283270 View attachment 2283271
Good pix. But wait, where are all the fingerprints? Did MR give up on fingerprints as the silly clickbait du jour?

• Haha
Reactions: MisterMillz

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
The color is what it is. Varying ambient lighting will impact one's perception of cool/warm/gray. I have only had mine for a day, but I do like the Natural Titanium alloy color under all different ambient lighting. IMO the color is identical to the AW Ultra, and I have liked that for a year now.

Can you make some pics of it?

jcp007

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Third Rock From the Sun
My three previous iPhones starting with the 12 Pro Max to the 14 Pro Max have been Space Gray/Graphite to Space Black. Until I saw the Natural Titanium, I was set on the Black Titanium but now I'm looking forward to seeing our Natural Titanium Pro Max models late next week. It's going into an Otterbox Defender Pro case immediately but the new color will be a nice change of pace with the camera and glass showing through the cutout.

Reactions: MisterMillz

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Too warm and gold or gray and boring seems to be the consensus of those who say they don't like Nat Ti. Personally, I find it a complex color that will age well and people will come to appreciate. All the other colors they released are pretty derivative of past colors. New black looks nearly identical to my black 14 Pro. White is nice and clean but basically another version of all the other silver band/white back iPhones they've released since the X. Blue is nice and subtle in it's own way but barely differentiates itself from black. It's surprising they even released black with how almost black it can appear. Reminds me of my Midnight iPhone 13. Would have loved to see them nix black this year in favor of another unique fourth option. Also, IMO nothing beats Sierra Blue in terms of a truly blue iPhone. To this day, when I see people with one I regret not upgrading to it back then. Might have skipped Nat Ti and gone another year with that color 😉
I didn’t have it but always thought the sierra blue was the best blue, hopefully it comes back on a future model

Icealicy

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
The natural titanium is basically a shade of gray. Ask yourself: if the phone was called gray would you have bought it vs other colors? I got white and am so happy.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68040
Dec 3, 2016
USA
My personal conspiracy theory is that Natural Titanium was supposed to be this year’s gold, but they couldn’t get the PVD coating right and this was the best they could do. so they leaned into the “natural” angle as a plan B.
Not likely, since Natural Titanium is what has been on the Apple Watch Ultra for a year and very well received. My guess is that they started with the Natural Titanium alloy as first choice and added the other colors. Plus demand for the Natural Titanium has always been reported as relatively high.

Reactions: chubbychicken

DrFunkelstein

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2021
Not likely, since Natural Titanium is what has been on the Apple Watch Ultra for a year and very well received. My guess is that they started with the Natural Titanium alloy as first choice and added the other colors. Plus demand for the Natural Titanium has always been reported as relatively high.
Look I never claimed to be right

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
OP in fairness you are only showing it in warm lighting. Looks completely different under white light or outdoors, especially the bands. But that's what I personally love about the color.
I actually thought it looked very dull outside for some reason, in both shade and direct sunlight. Couldn’t pinpoint it but I just did not like it at all. Returned it on launch day and kept the blue instead, which still surprises me every day with how unexpectedly amazing it looks. I really thought I was going to like the natural better, but nope. White was way better in person. But the blue though, I’m just really loving it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.