Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srikat

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
This is probably what 98% of people do lol... Everyone gets all worked up in to a tizzy over colors only to immediately slap a case on it as soon as it arrives.

The main reason for me going with NT color is for a better (hopefully) resale value.

Reactions: NickYanakiev

Jeweller

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Denver
The Natural potentially does depending on the lighting conditions (some pics here seem to show it as identical), but it color shifts into these light sandy golden hues, and I've never seen the Ultra do that. Sometimes I see these grayish blue hues with it. I was in 2 different Apple Stores, and Nat Titanium looked completely different in both of those Stores since the lighting was different in each one.

I think it looks maybe 5+ different ways depending on the environment? It's quite an interesting finish. It even picks up differently in many different videos and pictures I've seen.

MKBHD from YT compared the Nat Titanium more to Starlight and I think that was a good comparison but only one way this color picks up.

The Nat Ti finish of the phone is brushed and slightly glossier than the Ultra. Add to that it's edges are relatively flat compared to the Ultra's curvy frame and so it therefore has a tendency to more noticeably reflect soft lighting. That said, I've seen Starlight and it's definitely no Starlight.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
The Nat Ti finish of the phone is brushed and slightly glossier than the Ultra. Add to that it's edges are relatively flat compared to the Ultra's curvy frame and so it therefore has a tendency to more noticeably reflect soft lighting. That said, I've seen Starlight and it's definitely no Starlight.

In certain lighting with the M2 MBA Starlight I could see some resemblance to the 15 Pro Nat, but definitely not the iPhone version which looks closer to a white.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I didn’t get the PM in Natural because I read many say they could see gold hues at times. In the store, it looked gray with no gold at all which appealed to me. In the end I chose Blue, but the Natural looked much better than I’d expected.

emeka09

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2023
Natural titanium is probably my favourite iPhone ever. Perfect mix of black and white + some warm gold(ish) hues in certain lighting. It overtakes the gold 12 pro as my previous favourite

maverick786us

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
I was initially interested in Natural Titanium color, because I thought its palladium gold. But when I saw some demo pieces in the stores, I realized that it looks like silver color, and no where closer to Gold. So I decided to go for Titanium Blue color and I love it. It closely resembles deep see blue color of iPhone 12 PM, which I considered to be a very good alternative to class gold.

This is the first time I ever bought an iPhone that wasn't gold color. My first iPhone was 6s Plus, with Rose Gold color. XS Max and 12 Pro Max were true classic gold and 15 PM is deep sea blue.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Titanium isn’t the easiest to color
Apple did well with the four colors it has
Hopefully Next year we see a Matte black color like the iPhone 7. Apple received a patent on the process

Lex404

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US, JP)
For me it's the best color iPhone ever had.

It's not gray. It's not gold. It's not a specific color, the perception changes based on environment light. Cold light (like in apple store) will make it look gray. Natural light will make it look champagne/ light brown ish. Indoor warm light can make it look like anything incl goldish (but subtle) :))

I've seen some very gray pictures, even 1:1 to macbook's gray color. But it's not in reality

Attachments

• IMG_9946.jpeg
    IMG_9946.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_9945.jpeg
    IMG_9945.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 279

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
This picture actually made me decide to keep my Nat iPhone 15 Pro. I had ordered a black PM because I was having second thoughts about my Pro. The more I've used it though the more I appreciate its smaller size so I cancelled my order. Made me appreciate what I had.
The black is also quite nice, but it shows lots of smudges if you us the phone without a case. Probably a good move on keeping the Pro. If you are having to talk yourself into the Max, it’s probably not the right choice for you. I know this because this has been me for several different iPhone launches. Tried the big phone and ended up going back.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
The black is also quite nice, but it shows lots of smudges if you us the phone without a case. Probably a good move on keeping the Pro. If you are having to talk yourself into the Max, it’s probably not the right choice for you. I know this because this has been me for several different iPhone launches. Tried the big phone and ended up going back.
The smudges are an overblown issue. I have the blue and it’s no different than fingerprints on the stainless steel phones: barely noticeable, but easily wiped off on your shirt or pants. Unless maybe I just don’t grab my electronics when my hands are greasy, and everybody else does 🤷🏻‍♂️

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
The smudges are an overblown issue. I have the blue and it’s no different than fingerprints on the stainless steel phones: barely noticeable, but easily wiped off on your shirt or pants. Unless maybe I just don’t grab my electronics when my hands are greasy, and everybody else does 🤷🏻‍♂️
No, you’re absolutely right that it’s no worse than on the stainless steel models (and I would say it is slightly better with the brushed finish). It really pissed me off that all the tech reviewers acted like this was the first iPhone to ever show fingerprints and this hasn’t been an ongoing thing every year since the iPhone X. But, it still remains true that the lighter finishes show the fingerprints far less than the darker finishes.

Reactions: phillytim

Pepperfection

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2017
is it just me or it looks like Starlight? I think if Apple named it Starlight with the exact same color, less people would buy it.

emeka09

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2023
For me it's the best color iPhone ever had.

It's not gray. It's not gold. It's not a specific color, the perception changes based on environment light. Cold light (like in apple store) will make it look gray. Natural light will make it look champagne/ light brown ish. Indoor warm light can make it look like anything incl goldish (but subtle) :))

I've seen some very gray pictures, even 1:1 to macbook's gray color. But it's not in reality
100% agree. Well said!

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
is it just me or it looks like Starlight? I think if Apple named it Starlight with the exact same color, less people would buy it.
I don't see starlight at all. I definitely see more of a grayish silvery titanium tint. my wife has a starlight MBA and holding my 15PM next to it, it looks like a completely different shade. I have not seen the gold/champagne tint that others are claiming in any lighting or situation.

Reactions: dms_91

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Saw a couple threads that inquired about the NT color way, but the pictures were few.

I took a bunch of different angles and threw in a couple different material backgrounds and lights to show the varying shades of the phone.

Initial rumors said the phone was gray. I was excited, but all the Apple material made the phone look sandy/muted beige.

Because of that I opted for launch day black titanium. Saw the NT phone in store and it was pleasantly more gray than the printed materials.

After owning NT for a couple days, my conclusion is that the back is legitimately gray with the slightest shimmer of gold in the right light.

The bands however, are tinted just a bit more gold than the back itself, but it still has an overall gray profile.

I’ll be returning the NT and sticking with black. I like cool grey/wolf grey. If the back was the same with a cooler-toned silver on the bands and camera housing, I would’ve kept it. It’s just ever-so-slightly too warm for me.

View attachment 2283262 View attachment 2283265 View attachment 2283263 View attachment 2283264 View attachment 2283266 View attachment 2283267 View attachment 2283268

View attachment 2283269 View attachment 2283270 View attachment 2283271
Do you have a close up of the antenna bands? I’ve noticed on my black there is a small discolouration on a couple of the bands and wasn’t sure if it’s a manufacturing defect

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Do you have a close up of the antenna bands? I’ve noticed on my black there is a small discolouration on a couple of the bands and wasn’t sure if it’s a manufacturing defect
I haven’t noticed any discoloration. My understanding is the antenna bands match the back plate color rather than the frame itself.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpeg
    IMG_0196.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0195.jpeg
    IMG_0195.jpeg
    661 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0197.jpeg
    IMG_0197.jpeg
    646.4 KB · Views: 197
Reactions: bigjnyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.