Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bennyprofane

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2015
48 Hz would enable 24 fps video playback without pulldown and the resulting motion artifacts. Perhaps useful for video editing. I can spot the motion artifacts on 60 Hz displays and it annoys me.

So, it would make sense to switch to 48Hz whenever watching a movie (which is 24fps)?

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
So, it would make sense to switch to 48Hz whenever watching a movie (which is 24fps)?

Yes. The system will automatically do do if the player is in full screen mode. Otherwise the entire desktop is composited at 60 Hz (or whatever the refresh is) by the window server.

bennyprofane

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2015
Yes. The system will automatically do do if the player is in full screen mode. Otherwise the entire desktop is composited at 60 Hz (or whatever the refresh is) by the window server.

Is that for every player in fullscreen mode (Netflix in browser, VLC etc)?

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
The player has to use the right API, so
Videos in Safari - yes
Apple TV App - yes
VLC - yes

However, other browsers may not be taking advantage. You can find out by monitoring the power drain while playing video and comaparing full screen with windowed and maximised (to ensure similar window sizes). Use the following free tool:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget

If you have iStat menus you can use that as well. Another way is run the video for a while and note the energy impact in Activity Monitor, but this is the least accurate method.

Reactions: bennyprofane

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2019
Well, not that anyone cares but my Y740 arrived and it's excellent. Build quality on midrange Windows machines has come such a long way- disabled the cheesy lighting and it's not a "loud" looking computer at all afterwards. The small battery and physical heft will almost certainly put it out of consideration for many people who would be cross-shopping with the MBP, but for me personally neither of those things matter much as I'm less of a coffee shop warrior and more of a "it will always be plugged in, I just need to be able to move it" type of person. Nice to have a user accessible 2.5" slot as well.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Well, not that anyone cares but my Y740 arrived and it's excellent. Build quality on midrange Windows machines has come such a long way- disabled the cheesy lighting and it's not a "loud" looking computer at all afterwards. The small battery and physical heft will almost certainly put it out of consideration for many people who would be cross-shopping with the MBP, but for me personally neither of those things matter much as I'm less of a coffee shop warrior and more of a "it will always be plugged in, I just need to be able to move it" type of person. Nice to have a user accessible 2.5" slot as well.

The 15" Y740 with the 500-nit display is actually a very nice machine, as you said. I had one recently but the display panel was mis-mounted (tilted slightly), so I had to send it back, but hoping to order another.

Main gripe aside from the small battery was the macro keys on the 15" keyboard. Why they couldn't use the same layout of the 17" model, I have no idea. I would go with the 17", but it only has a software-enabled HDR display at 300-nit, ugh.

However, one thing I came across that might help: you can apparently drop in the very large battery from the 17" model into the 15" if you simply dump the HDD. It's supposed to be a perfect fit. I have a replacement battery I ordered for my Y740, just waiting to order another since I had to send the original unit back.

paddylaz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012

Can you make the key lighting all one colour? Because I think bright red/crimson on a black laptop gives me knight rider vibes. And I want that.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2019
Can you make the key lighting all one colour? Because I think bright red/crimson on a black laptop gives me knight rider vibes. And I want that.

Indeed, the machine has full RGB with quite a few lighting zones.

The 15" Y740 with the 500-nit display is actually a very nice machine, as you said. I had one recently but the display panel was mis-mounted (tilted slightly), so I had to send it back, but hoping to order another.

Main gripe aside from the small battery was the macro keys on the 15" keyboard. Why they couldn't use the same layout of the 17" model, I have no idea. I would go with the 17", but it only has a software-enabled HDR display at 300-nit, ugh.

However, one thing I came across that might help: you can apparently drop in the very large battery from the 17" model into the 15" if you simply dump the HDD. It's supposed to be a perfect fit. I have a replacement battery I ordered for my Y740, just waiting to order another since I had to send the original unit back.

That battery idea is tempting... I was also thinking a 2tb sata SSD in that 2.5 slot, though, so I’d have to make a choice. Can you elaborate about your panel QC issue? I definitely am trying to check mine out fully before the return period is up. The only thing I’ve noticed so far is the usual backlight bleed around the edges a bit when displaying a full black screen (like the post splash) but it doesn’t really bother me enough to return and play the panel lottery.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
My company ordered 26 MBP 16” before Christmas for new staff and I personally checked them one by one today just by fast scrolling the privacy policy very fast on the welcome page. As I can tell based on my eyes, all of them have ghosting problem. I have contacted Apple via their regular customer support and ACPS department by email. Hope I can get some replies.

Lol - you expect them to acknowledge this is an issue with all 26 machines? This is well within normal spec - if you want crystal clear scrolling go find a laptop that offers a 120hz display.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2019
Interested as well. Is the backlight per key or zone based?

Per key as far as I can tell- it goes through Corsair’s iCUE software which is a bit buggy it seems. I can try it out and get back to you if you’re interested. Just let me know and I can PM you to keep off-topic chat on this thread to a minimum. :)

Reactions: topcat001

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
My full device ID is LP160WT1-SJA2. Mentioned earlier more generally but absolutely no issues with this one, ghosting is 100 percent how it's been on my Late 2013 15" rMBP and my Late 2016 15" TB and the brightness is noticeably a couple notches higher than my outgoing 2016 model. True Tone off, auto brightness off, and no night shift.

sat24

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2019
@MacMaze Great points and summary there..
Perhaps this panel choice falls shorts in some ways while allowing for other benefits (like the refresh rate optionality)?

I just don’t get it.
I believe it has a lot to do with power consumption / battery life. Going from 50% to 75% power for e.g. just consumes 2-3 extra watts! At that rate, I can run the screen at full brightness with an insignificant reduction to battery life.

shivaswrath

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2019
Just opened and set my new MBP up...maxed everything (graphics card, RAM etc).

No ghosting for me, just came from China via FedEx.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Just opened and set my new MBP up...maxed everything (graphics card, RAM etc).

No ghosting for me, just came from China via FedEx.

No ghosting what so ever? Can you test the input lag and the ufos?
[automerge]1578056525[/automerge]
I read that Mini LED also doesn't have the best response time. Will it be potentially better than this?

Well at the end of the day you can't have it all... Good calibration alongside good colours and lower input lag... I mean there are some good IPS panels out there but really expensive.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

emraha06

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2017
This issue is NOT universal to all 16 inch models. Mine is absolutely fine and compares well against my 2016 15 inch.

It has to be a display supplier issue or something else. For what it’s worth I run both of my MBPs with True Tone and auto brightness disabled. If you disable auto brightness while at maximum brightness, you can see the display slowly increase in brightness even though it’s maxed out.

could you please prove that with taking and sharing a photo of ufo ghosting test. https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

every one here may claim that he has a . perfect display but the important thing is to prove it

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
could you please prove that with taking and sharing a photo of ufo ghosting test. https://www.testufo.com/ghosting

every one here may claim that he has a . perfect display but the important thing is to prove it

What settings? Just default? And I'm not stating there's NO ghosting, but that the amount of ghosting is absolutely normal for these displays. I will try and get a test on both machines.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
What settings? Just default? And I'm not stating there's NO ghosting, but that the amount of ghosting is absolutely normal for these displays. I will try and get a test on both machines.

Alright, 2016 15":
2016.png

2019 16 SJA2:
2019.png

Looks to be within spec to me, if not a tiny bit better on the new machine.

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Looks to be within spec to me, if not a tiny bit better on the new machine.

In your test I can see 5 versions of the UFO on the 16" but only 4 on the 15", albeit the 5th is quite faint.

The 16" has a slightly slower response time than the previous model as measured by at least one reviewer.

I'm convinced, for now, that this is due to the extra size of the panel needing slower specs in order for Apple to keep the 10 hour battery claim.

It doesn't bother me at all. It's a great machine regardless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.