Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tommy c

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2012
Pocono PA
I just got mine yesterday. I would have never known about this until reading this. I can't seem to see this ghosting at all? Maybe when I scroll up and down on a web page. but, I thought that's normal?

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
Yea, I guess I don't really notice it then. I'm glad because once you notice something, you can't unnoticeable it lol.
Are you using the computer in dark mode? Scroll this page at a medium speed in dark mode and look how the text smears.

Tommy c

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2012
Pocono PA
I do see what you mean. What is there to do tho? I don't recall trying this same thing on my iMac. I'll have to look. It is super interesting that not one reviewer mention this.

Reactions: StONE_ROdGEr

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I do see what you mean. What is there to do tho? I don't recall trying this same thing on my iMac. I'll have to look. It is super interesting that not one reviewer mention this.
Been that way for years (since 2016 at almost this degree, even before that to a lesser extent), and only a few notice. Plus most reviewers already have MBPs with similar screens, so they know what to expect.

iandk

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Oh boy, looks like I got the worst panel.

LP160WT1-SJA4

IMG_4440.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: nikster0029

MacMaze

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
Nope, you're not blind, the panel is as designed to be. There have been several comments now from people seeing the smearing issue while other consider it's no issue at all or they simply don't notice it. As far as I can see it depends from where you're coming from. According to some the smearing issue/effect appeared in the 2016 MBP and it seemed to stay this way until the latest 16" version (although some consider this panel to be even worse than it's predecessors). If you owned a pre-2016 model I think you can immediately notice the difference. It's not a bug, it's a feature ;-)

Reactions: turbineseaplane

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
I'm in love with my 16in MBP. I got it for editing drone footage and photos with some occasional school work. For a reference point, I have an iPad Pro 11in and a Dell 27in Gsync monitor hooked up to an Nvidia 1080TI as my main gaming machine.

I've seen no issues with my screen and I consider myself pretty picky.

Reactions: MacLappy

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2016
I tested the MBP 16 and different of these 16s ones and I have to day the ghosting is minimal worse in „normal“ use cases - especially on / dark background it seems stronger but it’s okay for my eyes - but still not as good as the 2017 MBP 15“ in my opinion.

But my question now:

The image of the 16 Version doesn’t look as sharp as the 15 one? How can this be? At least for me it looked sharper on the 15 screen and I compared 3 MBP 16 in the store here (Apple Store Germany Frankfurt).

Also here in Cyberpoint Local Store in Leipzig I check two MBP 16 and for doesn’t seem so clearly sharp?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
But my question now:

The image of the 16 Version doesn’t look as sharp as the 15 one? How can this be? At least for me it looked sharper on the 15 screen and I compared 3 MBP 16 in the store here (Apple Store Germany Frankfurt).

Also here in Cyberpoint Local Store in Leipzig I check two MBP 16 and for doesn’t seem so clearly sharp?
Probably a scaling difference. You can try different screen resolutions by going to System preferences > Display.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
You can make yours worse or better by changing the exposure time on your camera...

Don't even have to do that. Can just take two pictures with the same settings and still end up with a delta of like two UFOs, lmao.

serge94

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2020
Europe
So I also noticed this the first time I started using my 16" MBP. Coming from a late 2013 15" the difference is quite noticeable, so I've decided to do the UFO Ghosting test, and it's really noticeable there too. My panel is SJA1 and the manufacture date is 28th of October 2019. There's no denying that this new panels are much worse than the older panels. It's really sad to be honest, I'm thinking about selling mine and buying a fully specced 2015 15" or going the Windows route with a Lenovo X1 Carbon. It's really straining on my eyes to be honest, I can't live with this knowing that I paid €4,500+ for this AND it had to have it's logic board replaced because it was faulty from the beginning, wouldn't wake up from sleep. Here's the comparison, 1st pic is 2013 15" and second is 2019 16".

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2659.jpg

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I just hope they address this with the (hopefully) upcoming 13-14" machines with the new keyboards.

Those are the machines I'm likely to get

Reactions: StONE_ROdGEr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.