Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacMaze

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
As a reference point, maybe good to check the figures posted on Notebookcheck https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple...5500M-powered-multimedia-laptop.445902.0.html

- Response time black to white: 34.9ms (in comparison 90% of all devices tested at Notebookcheck have a better response time)

Unfortunately the response times for pre-2016 models aren't available on this site so I can't tell how big the difference is. To me it seems a certain threshold has passed on the MBP 16 and the smearing is quite visible, at least when you compare it to the early retina displays which seemed to have a better response time. For those coming from 2016 models and later it might seem less visible because, as far as I read in the threads, it has been this way for a while now.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
If anything, for me, this thread has highlighted how many people don't perceive this stuff naturally ?

Or that they're not aware you can get better or what better looks like (though anyone who's used an iPad Pro should have an idea).

The screen is now the number one thing that needs improving for Apple's top-of-the line MacBooks. They really need to jump a generation or two with OLED or MicroLED and ProMotion technology.

Overall I'm still happy with the laptop because there simply isn't a better well-rounded laptop that suits my needs. Believe me: I was looking for 3-4 years during the Butterfly keyboard fiasco. The keyboard is (finally) good again, the speakers are awesome. The screen is fine (and at least colourful). Battery life is fantastic, portability is excellent, performance is excellent (for its size). Track pad, well is still great, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: tkermit

MacMaze

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
Just wondering after 2 months this issue was raised, has anyone swapped the Macbook 16" for another one and if so, did this fix the ghosting issue. If so, did you get another revision of the panel?

Reactions: nmaxcom

-Shock-

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Just wondering after 2 months this issue was raised, has anyone swapped the Macbook 16" for another one and if so, did this fix the ghosting issue. If so, did you get another revision of the panel?

Yes, long story, but I repurchased after a significant price drop. New panel is SJA4. No difference at all.

Anecdotally, machines I have checked for same:
2019 Macbook air, best of current generation, still not fantastic
2019 Macbook pro 13- ghosting is about as bad as 16", but "seems" less because screen is smaller (?)
2018 Macbook pro 15- seemed slightly better than 16"
2015 Macbook pro 13 (my previous machine) better than all of the above, would never think twice about it.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
This thread is conclusive at this point. If you don't like the motion you won't like the product. If you can be ok with it then you will be happy with the machine. No lottery here on this one sadly or thankfully depending on how you view it.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I thought I would stop noticing it at some point but the ghosting remains fairly annoying after two months of using the machine, especially in Dark Mode. It's the only thing that makes me regret getting rid of the 2015 MBP whose display I much preferred, even though the 16" MBP feels close to perfect in all other respects.

MacMaze

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2019
I couldn't agree more, actually I have to confess I am still using my MBP 2012 from time to time because the ghosting is pretty bad on the MBP 16 which is really a step backwards for an otherwise fabulous machine. Why Apple, oh why, it's like buying a new car from your favourite car brand and noticing that it revs up noticeable slower than your previous car. Not a real issue, but annoying as it's part of the pleasure to drive the car.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Mine has noticeable ghosting, as I think all the 16"ers do, but it's not enough to consider downgrading personally. If it was too distracting I would've returned it within the return window. Also, if I did downgrade, I'd be trading some visible ghosting for a degradation in nearly everything else. It's mainly just a problem when focusing on white text when scrolling, or focussing on app icons in Launchpad when flicking pages; and a little bit in games.

I agree these are complaints we shouldn't be having on Apple's most high-end laptop when they want to sell it for premium prices. It's unfortunate, but I have to accept it for what it is. Most of the rest of the laptop (including the keyboard) are great.

Apple will have to lift their game in screen-quality and consider switching to OLED, which have fast response times I think, along with benefits to contrast, moving forward. There's not a lot else that needs to be done anyway (maybe improve Touch Bar resolution and quality).

Reactions: tkermit

iandk

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Just picked up my 16" after some time running in clamshell mode and I have to say, the ghosting is terrible.
Scrolling on a dark background with text hurts.
But unfortunately there are no other options.
Currently trying to decide if I should return It and get a windows laptop

jyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
FWIW others have mentioned changing the refresh to 59.94. This seems to be a big improvement, and performance seems similar to my old rMBP late 2013 with 59.94. Try it out if you haven't.

iandk

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
I don't want to switch, but this is currently my only option.
Every time I have to work on the MBP 16 it's a pain.

I have no clue why not a single reviewer has pointed this out.

I'm a few days outside the return window, but I hope, I'm still able to return it.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I have no clue why not a single reviewer has pointed this out.
Notebookcheck pointed it out because they always measure. Other didn't because mediocre response times have been normal for MBPs for a long time. For Notebookcheck their 16" was about 10% slower than the average for the last few years.

iandk

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
Thats right, but I'm wondering why no reviewer on YouTube has pointed it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.