Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Apple needs to get it in gear for 2020. My old 16" MBP from launch and another that came badly beaten up both went back as the inner package was so badly impacted from even the outside. No telling how badly the unit had been mishandled.

The one unit I have kept from Last Tuesday that I received for the most part appears to be ok, but will reserve final judgement until later. The backlight on the display is certainly more uniform even under full brightness.

Arste

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Apple needs to get it in gear for 2020. My old 16" MBP from launch and another that came badly beaten up both went back as the inner package was so badly impacted from even the outside. No telling how badly the unit had been mishandled.

The one unit I have kept from Last Tuesday that I received for the most part appears to be ok, but will reserve final judgement until later. The backlight on the display is certainly more uniform even under full brightness.
How to check if my screen is uniform?

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
As a general counterpoint here, I'm about a month in now and couldn't be happier. Screen is great, backlight is even, no other issues to report. The thing absolutely slays footage in Premiere and Davinci Resolve and has smoothed out my workflow tenfold. The ghosting is there, but I don't run in dark mode 24/7 and feel that the ghosting is not noticeably worse than my 2016 or late 2013 retina 15" models.

I've probably got 300 matches on Halo Reach at this point on my laptop, and another 300+ on my gaming PC setup (4k 60hz). I can perform a bit better on a proper desktop monitor as the MBP has a worse response time, but the fact that I can comfortably game on the go on a machine I bought to get work done on is awesome.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2019

To be fair, I wouldn't hold Apple solely responsible for shipping carrier damage.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2019
I need 100% brightness in options to test this?

To test it, you would turn off auto-brightness and True Tone, then set the screen to max brightness. Navigate to a uniform dark gray background in Safari and then full-screen it.

To be honest, though- you shouldn't really be worrying about it in the first place unless you notice something egregious. Even the best LCD panels in the world will have bleed or inconsistency to some degree. My Vizio PQX has it, hell even the ProDisplay XDR has it.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
To be fair, I wouldn't hold Apple solely responsible for shipping carrier damage.

They chose to use the Brown Clown. Get fedex again and we had less issues. UPS is horrid.
[automerge]1579480716[/automerge]
Look at it on an all-black background. No laptop will show a 100% solid black background, you will get areas of gray where the light shows through.

Also, take a black image, screen capture it, then move it into photos and go full screen. zoom in if you need to and you will have a solid black screen. Same for white.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2019
They chose to use the Brown Clown. Get fedex again and we had less issues. UPS is horrid.

This is entirely based on your/the sender's location. For me, FedEx has absolutely mangled stuff before whereas UPS is more consistently mediocre but never completely unacceptable.

Viamusic10000

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2019
My only issue is the graphics card for the 5500 is so much better than the trash 460 in my current machine. It's just not even in the same league and I like the new keyboard more. Once you go back you gradually forget about it, but man, I wish these things could be replaced independent of one another and by the user at that. Such as the display.
[automerge]1578938760[/automerge]

Yes, and also refresh rate. Look at the 60hz to 120hz iPad Pro comparison videos in slow mo. Likely both. But that's my point, a iPad Pro can do it, yes it's ARM based, but these have bigger batteries and so the impact should be marginal at best. Especially given we have more thickness to work with and this has the largest FAA allowed battery. Any other gaming machine will also have a smaller battery or the same.

If given the option of moving the display to a higher refresh and degraded battery or longer and slower refresh, these options could be toggled if Apple wanted to work with LG for example.
But the iPad Pro has a slow response time as well, just a higher refresh rate. They are probably saving money with a lower refresh rate, but the iPad Pro screen response time isn’t better. More expensive gaming tier screen means the laptop price goes up.

BoingoBongo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
Take this for what it’s worth...

I bought a 16” MBP back in November. It has ghosting, but I didn’t notice it until I saw this thread and looked for it specifically.

But more importantly, we received 10 of the 13“ Touch Bar MacBooks at work. I set them up, and every single one of them has the same ghosting “issue”. I don’t know what that means, but it seems like it’s just the way the displays are right now.

Last edited:

Andrioshe

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
Bonn, Germany
My MacBook Pro with 32 GB RAM arrived today. I immediately checked the ghosting issue and can confirm that the MacBook has ghosting but not that terrible like all of you telling. I compared it to my other notebook (lenovo p51) and have to admit that my lenovo is a way more ghosting than the macbook.

I only see the ghosting when I focus on it... you guys must have very good eyes.

paddylaz

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
My MacBook Pro with 32 GB RAM arrived today. I immediately checked the ghosting issue and can confirm that the MacBook has ghosting but not that terrible like all of you telling. I compared it to my other notebook (lenovo p51) and have to admit that my lenovo is a way more ghosting than the macbook.

I only see the ghosting when I focus on it... you guys must have very good eyes.
what model of Lenovo do you have?

adgoodma

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
Boulder
The ghosting I experienced was so obvious when I would scroll through a website. It was hard to miss. I would also say that when the computer was cold, it was MUCH worse.

I am reading that some people dont notice it until the look for it. I must believe that my copy was a bad one, perhaps I will reorder and see if the next one works better.

StONE_ROdGEr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2019
The ghosting I experienced was so obvious when I would scroll through a website. It was hard to miss. I would also say that when the computer was cold, it was MUCH worse.

I am reading that some people dont notice it until the look for it. I must believe that my copy was a bad one, perhaps I will reorder and see if the next one works better.

I got 2 and both as bad as each other.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
That's ok how LCD's work

you should see my cars infotainment when its 10 below zero!

Psyclism

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010

That's like complaining that your water is defective when it stops pouring quickly after hitting 32 degrees F or 0 celsius

adgoodma

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
Boulder
That's like complaining that your water is defective when it stops pouring quickly after hitting 32 degrees F or 0 celsius

Thanks, great comments-

I am just comparing it to my 2015 mbp, and the ghosting is MUCH worse in comparable conditions.

Psyclism

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Thanks, great comments-

I am just comparing it to my 2015 mbp, and the ghosting is MUCH worse in comparable conditions.

Sorry to be snarky, but there have been a substantial number of people who have complained that their LCD response times have been horrible when they've been using their laptop out in near to sub-freezing conditions and using that as evidence of screen ghosting. Liquid Crystals (the "LC" in LCD) respond/flow slower when it gets cold. It's physics. Apple can do some amazing stuff, but breaking fundamental laws of physics ain't one of 'em.

adgoodma

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
Boulder
Sorry to be snarky, but there have been a substantial number of people who have complained that their LCD response times have been horrible when they've been using their laptop out in near to sub-freezing conditions and using that as evidence of screen ghosting. Liquid Crystals (the "LC" in LCD) respond/flow slower when it gets cold. It's physics. Apple can do some amazing stuff, but breaking fundamental laws of physics ain't one of 'em.

Haha, it's ok, snarky is what the internet is all about!

I was just surprised how bad it was compared to my 2015...

Reactions: sat24 and Psyclism

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017

It's especially noticeable if the computer is below 35c... Once it heats up it gets a little better but not really much improvement in general

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2019
It's especially noticeable if the computer is below 35c... Once it heats up it gets a little better but not really much improvement in general

I think this thread has officially jumped the shark, no matter how good intentions are we've basically come full circle and are now complaining about... the inherent properties of LCD technology? No shade at any posters who don't realize this has already been discussed, I wouldn't want to catch up on 24 pages either. Honestly the OP may want to consider updating the first post with some FAQ or something lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.