Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007

I wouldn't call a team like McLaren sad and busted, though. That's typical Jalopnik clickbait, and one reason I don't read them.

What will determine the bust-hood of McLaren is how they get out of it. I wouldn't be at all surprised, given the middle-eastern owners, if they junk the F1 team simply because it's not making money and the owners are not interested in heritage or culture but simply ROI.

It doesn't help that Honda, despite all their experience and resources, haven't been able to get their act together and still they keep saying "We solved it, we're rolling out power upgrades, things will improve...etc" or that McLaren itself, especially that new idiot Zak Brown, keeps coming up with typical marketing fluff like "Our chassis is equal to Mercedes, we have wealthy owners, our driver lineup is the top-notch...etc"

I don't blame Alonso for ditching a race; it sends a very clear signal to Brown & company as well as other teams: I'm not happy, my contract is up this year, I'm still at the top of my game, what can you do? His driving ability isn't questioned (especially after what he wrangled out that car in qualy), and his motives are clear.

I really, really hope the owners don't shudder the team and bank on road cars.

Was that stroll? He's a disaster. Maybe one day he'll be good, but he's in no way ready for the big time. Yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Able to watch live today and tomorrow which makes a nice change.
No avoiding all the news until the rerun!

Ferrari look quick in practice. Will see the true pace in a bit.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well done Bottas on his first pole position.
After the first two races I felt he needed to respond with a good weekend and remind people it's not just Lewis versus Vettel.

Ferrari seemed a bit off the pace today. Makes you wonder if the Mercs were holding back in practice.

Good results for the Renault team as well with both cars through to Q3.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Well done Bottas on his first pole position.
After the first two races I felt he needed to respond with a good weekend and remind people it's not just Lewis versus Vettel.
pfft.

1nc4y3.jpg

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
pfft.
I'm just waiting for when it's Vettel and Hamilton, Vettel wins, and Hamilton whine about a conspiracy, or Vettel was unfair, or something. The man is the king of the Whiners. His hard-core fans are no better, either: "He's one of the Great Drivers, unbeatable, Hammertime yeah! etc etc..." *comes out behind an underpowered car driven by a newbie* "It was aaaaaaallll Max's fault! wah wah wah."

Or bad strategy calls by Ferrari are interpreted as first-class driving from Lewis, bad strategy calls from Mercedes and it's all someone else's fault.

It's almost as entertaining as the race itself to see what excuses he and his fans make time and again. :D

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm just waiting for when it's Vettel and Hamilton, Vettel wins, and Hamilton whine about a conspiracy, or Vettel was unfair, or something. The man is the king of the Whiners. His hard-core fans are no better, either: "He's one of the Great Drivers, unbeatable, Hammertime yeah! etc etc..." *comes out behind an underpowered car driven by a newbie* "It was aaaaaaallll Max's fault! wah wah wah."

Or bad strategy calls by Ferrari are interpreted as first-class driving from Lewis, bad strategy calls from Mercedes and it's all someone else's fault.

It's almost as entertaining as the race itself to see what excuses he and his fans make time and again. :D

That sounds like the Hamilton of a few years ago but in his years against Nico it was rarely Lewis doing the whining. I think we've seen a much more mature Hamilton these last few years.

I don't think it's just hardcore fans of him that appreciate how good he is either. It's pretty indisputable within F1 that he's 'one' of the best drivers of this generation. Most of us here though are of an age where we just like the racing and the 'my driver is better than yours tripe' is a little immature.

I'm looking forward to a close battle today and although I will prefer a Brit to win, I will be happy to see Bottas get his first win or Vettel to really put the pressure on Lewis for this to be an exciting season. Enjoy these guys while we still have them in the sport, they're good!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Actually I think Vettel and Max are both worse complainers than Lewis.
But then I guess all F1 greats like cars to pull over and stop to aid them on their way!
I think Lewis has been very open and seems genuine about enjoying the challenge from Ferrari.
He is mature enough to know that if his car is so much better than everyone else's he's not going to get the recognition for being champion.
But then I'm struggling to remember many drivers who one the title in the second or third best car.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Which is crazy, because they support half the field in IndyCar

Also, great race so far.
Agree. Especially if you're a Vettel fan! Hamilton needs to make that rubber lady until the end to stand any chance.
If I was Mercedes I'd release him to go and hassle Vettel to help Bottas to the win.

Shame Max had a brake failure. He'd have been right amongst it.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Agree. Especially if you're a Vettel fan! Hamilton needs to make that rubber lady until the end to stand any chance.
If I was Mercedes I'd release him to go and hassle Vettel to help Bottas to the win.

Shame Max had a brake failure. He'd have been right amongst it.
HAM is driving with a pending 5 second penalty. I feel like VET has it, but still lots of racing left.
[doublepost=1492360572][/doublepost]McHonda at it again. What a disaster

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
HAM is driving with a pending 5 second penalty. I feel like VET has it, but still lots of racing left.
[doublepost=1492360572][/doublepost]McHonda at it again. What a disaster
Shame about the penalty. Could have seen them going wheel for wheel for the victory at the end without.
I think again we have seen how much better Lewis and Vettel are than their team mates.
And yes Alonso must be so frustrated.

But it's good to not know which team is going to win each week.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Haven't watched the Indy for years. I'll watch this year with Alonso and Andretti racing. All the carrots that Mclaren are offering Alonso won't make a difference unless they change over to Mercedes engine. Heard on the broadcast that Alonso may be talking to Renault. Hmmm.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Haven't watched the Indy for years. I'll watch this year with Alonso and Andretti racing. All the carrots that Mclaren are offering Alonso won't make a difference unless they change over to Mercedes engine. Heard on the broadcast that Alonso may be talking to Renault. Hmmm.
McLaren should never go back to Mercedes. They're dooming themselves to never win again. Throw a bone at VW and try to get them to build an Audi power unit. They're never going to beat a factory team.

Of course, I have said this for a while, if McLaren were serious about improving reliability on their engine, they would let Honda provide engines for more than one team.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
McLaren should never go back to Mercedes. They're dooming themselves to never win again. Throw a bone at VW and try to get them to build an Audi power unit. They're never going to beat a factory team.

Of course, I have said this for a while, if McLaren were serious about improving reliability on their engine, they would let Honda provide engines for more than one team.

Hmm, might have a point on the Merc engine and not being the factory team. Anything is better than what they have now though. As to Honda only supplying one team and having more data by supplying a second team. Makes sense but this engine seems so far behind can't see that it would make a difference this year...crimeny, it can't even make it through a race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.