Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Very close in qualifying. Especially between Bottas and Vettel. Ferrari have made a definitive improvement this winter.
You can argue that it was Mercedes strategy cost them in Australia, but Ferrari pushed them into that mistake.
Just hope we see some overtaking.
Even a spot of rain could make things interesting. Especially with Max out of position.

Either way. 2017 is so much faster than 2016! 3.5 seconds quicker. That's an age in F1.

Reactions: pachyderm

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
hat it was Mercedes strategy cost them in Australia, but Ferrari pushed them into that mistake.
Just hope we see some overtaking.
Even a spot of rain could make things interesting. E

Will be interesting to see how the race plays out. I think with weather, it always spices things up. I think they are waiting to see how China and Bahrain are for overtaking before sounding the alarm and making some changes.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Difficult to tell again with the wet start and safety car, but it still looked like overtaking is going to be the biggest issue this season. I think it should be more interesting than the last few as Ferarri clearly have a car to compete with Mercedes, but the lack of overtaking still makes me worry that we'll be watching cars follow each other around with the odd pass.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
So 2017 will be the final Grand Prix of Malaysia, but in 2018 Germany now looks stable and the French Grand Prix will make it's return (at Circuit Paul Ricard).

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38210811

GOOD! Malaysian GP sucks!
Rain then dry, rain then dry with him picking the right tyres at the right time and a 19 car pile up. :p

AAAAnnnnnd that is exactly what is gonna have to happen. :)
[doublepost=1491736237][/doublepost]....and it didn't. :(
[doublepost=1491736420][/doublepost]also, season over.

We're about to see a steady run of Hamilton wins.

The only thing different will be pics of Bottas pouting instead of Nico.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

Meh, Ferrari with VET is still close, honestly. I will agree it's a two horse race, however.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I disagree. I think Ferrari are well placed to trade blows this season.
I thought it was an exciting race. Could have used some more rain at the end to spice it up.
Great result for RBR as well. 3rd and fourth ahead of a Ferrari and Mercedes is pretty impressive. Especially as neither had any problems and Max started 16th.

Bottas needs to get a good result to show he can use that car to the best of its ability. But put a good driver like him up against a great driver like Lewis (who obviously knows the car and team better), and the difference shows.
Anyway at least it's not two Mercedes driving off into the distance.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I disagree. I think Ferrari are well placed to trade blows this season.
I thought it was an exciting race. Could have used some more rain at the end to spice it up.
Great result for RBR as well. 3rd and fourth ahead of a Ferrari and Mercedes is pretty impressive. Especially as neither had any problems and Max started 16th.

Bottas needs to get a good result to show he can use that car to the best of its ability. But put a good driver like him up against a great driver like Lewis (who obviously knows the car and team better), and the difference shows.
Anyway at least it's not two Mercedes driving off into the distance.
VET would have seriously closed the gap if Ferrari gave an order to have RAI move. Kimi severely hurt his team defending against Vettel

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
VET would have seriously closed the gap if Ferrari gave an order to have RAI move. Kimi severely hurt his team defending against Vettel
That and the Virtual SC did him no favours. That's why it was 6 seconds between them.
Not sure why Ferrari didn't give that order. They don't usually mind.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That and the Virtual SC did him no favours. That's why it was 6 seconds between them.
Not sure why Ferrari didn't give that order. They don't usually mind.
There was a good three or four laps at least where Kimi was complaining on the radio about his car and had Vettel stuck behind him. The point is, I'm with you. I think Ferrari with Vettel as a driver has a chance to at least keep the races interesting.

The middle of the pack is also pretty interesting. I think Haas and Renault really have a chance to be the fastest of the middle of the pack.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill

Agree on the season over and steady run of Hamilton wins. Yup, Bottas pouting instead of Nico too. Ferrari is better but they still can't go wheel to wheel with Merc. To do that they have to be able to catch up and that's just not the case. The only thing interesting for the rest of the season will be Alonso and what will he do. Mclaren and Honda don't have any chemistry and Honda's engine doesn't have enough power or reliability. Give Alonso credit he's still trying but for how long?

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Agree on the season over and steady run of Hamilton wins. Yup, Bottas pouting instead of Nico too. Ferrari is better but they still can't go wheel to wheel with Merc. To do that they have to be able to catch up and that's just not the case. The only thing interesting for the rest of the season will be Alonso and what will he do. Mclaren and Honda don't have any chemistry and Honda's engine doesn't have enough power or reliability. Give Alonso credit he's still trying but for how long?

I agree. Ferrari look better but still not on Mercs level.

Alonso is pretty much done for but he feels he has another title in him that's why he's still here hanging around until a better opportunity presents itself.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I'm very glad to see that Ferrari has moved to within inches of matching Mercedes performance. On totally equal terms, it probably comes down to driver skill, which is what I look for in racing.

Further down the pack - it looks like Red Bull is also a contender. I have to say I'm not a huge fan of Max Verstappen. I thought his whining about getting a back-marker out of the way was poor form. I also think his overly aggressive driving style is going to cause problems, potentially serious ones, sooner or later. He's obviously very talented, but he needs more maturity.

The problem, as I see it, is that most races will have the potential to be decided by tire strategy. Rain, a safety car, or just a bad guess on track conditions or the durability of a particular compound can sink an otherwise flawless drive by a top driver in a great car. It's probably always been the case in F1, to a greater or lesser extent.

But overall, I think China is to be congratulated on putting on a world-class GP. Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull and the drivers did a great job. And kudos, of a sort, to F1 itself for tweaking the rules to give us cars that seem incredibly fast, and to races that seem competitive and exciting.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Jenson Button is under contract and may be asked to return for the one race. That is the rumour doing the rounds anyway. It's not like Monaco is an ideal circuit for testing new young drivers.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I'm was glad to read Max moved out, away from his dad. Hopefully this will help his attitude.

I'm starting to really admire his ability to find traction and overtake. He just needs to get his erratic defending toned down a bit.

I'm very glad to see that Ferrari has moved to within inches of matching Mercedes performance. On totally equal terms, it probably comes down to driver skill, which is what I look for in racing.

Unfortunately for the Scuderia, it also comes down to team strategy. Ferrari have tossed away good finishes so many times recently.

---

In other news, I hope next year Alonso moves to Mercedes. Bottas can move to Force India or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.