Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
It is interesting that Bottas is on a one year deal. You don't even see rumours of him being re-signed yet.

I would say, based on past records, Mclaren fans want Alonso to leave. Why? Every team Alonso leaves suddenly gets much better a year/two years out!

(That's a joke. I'm not trying to imply causation. Alonso does seem to be unlucky picking the timing of his team/drives.)

Reactions: pachyderm

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It is interesting that Bottas is on a one year deal. You don't even see rumours of him being re-signed yet.

I would say, based on past records, Mclaren fans want Alonso to leave. Why? Every team Alonso leaves suddenly gets much better a year/two years out!

(That's a joke. I'm not trying to imply causation. Alonso does seem to be unlucky picking the timing of his team/drives.)

He's like a double WDC Jean Alesi. An awesome driver that deserves more than he has but just makes unlucky team choices.

He does have two world championships though and a lot of drivers would kill for that. We just know he's been arguably the best on the grid and we've been pretty much robbed this last decade with not seeing him fight the likes of Hamilton and Vettel.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

Well, he won two titles with Benneton Renault, He nearly won a title with McClaren the first time there ... so...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
FIA released the 2018 Provisional F1 calendar and it will now grow to 21 races, with the French, Austrian and British Grands Prix running on consecutive weekends. Germany and France are back, while Malaysia has been dropped.

Reactions: pachyderm

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I don't really know about Max doing Mercedes mainly because it would be complicated. I believe he re-negotiated his salary in order to commit to his term. He would have to break contract to leave next season and presumably he would lose out financially. Bottas has an option on his contract for next year so he is likely to stay at Mercedes. Don't forget, Toto Wolff used to be Bottas' manager. He couldn't wait to bring him to Merc. Highly unlikely he leaves.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I don't really know about Max doing Mercedes mainly because it would be complicated. I believe he re-negotiated his salary in order to commit to his term. He would have to break contract to leave next season and presumably he would lose out financially. Bottas has an option on his contract for next year so he is likely to stay at Mercedes. Don't forget, Toto Wolff used to be Bottas' manager. He couldn't wait to bring him to Merc. Highly unlikely he leaves.
I could imagine the contract negotiations.

Totto we want Max
Christian we will exchange him for some engines!

A RB with a Merc engine would be the car to be in.

Reactions: BenTrovato

trsblader

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Sorry to break up the real talk, but just wondering if anyone could recommend a good live stream/on demand service for F1. Seems like I always miss the races, if they're even on a channel I have. I've seen maybe 1 all season and it sucks having to read about it and watch highlights on YouTube days later. Would be great to find a good source, free or subscription based, that I can bookmark and watch this year, and next year, and presumably for years to come (as opposed to a 3 months then it's taken down service).

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
As I understand it, RBR does a fair bit of their own tweaking to the Renault engines they contract for so I wonder if they really would want Mercedes customer engines as it could impact their design flexibility.

As for watching F1, the races are handled by NBCSN in the US so if your cable subscriber carries the channel, you can watch it On Demand via the NBC Sports app and webpage.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
FIA released the 2018 Provisional F1 calendar and it will now grow to 21 races, with the French, Austrian and British Grands Prix running on consecutive weekends. Germany and France are back, while Malaysia has been dropped.

ugh.

nurbergring...please? not the bastardized hockenheim...

YAY!!!

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
Sorry to break up the real talk, but just wondering if anyone could recommend a good live stream/on demand service for F1. Seems like I always miss the races, if they're even on a channel I have. I've seen maybe 1 all season and it sucks having to read about it and watch highlights on YouTube days later. Would be great to find a good source, free or subscription based, that I can bookmark and watch this year, and next year, and presumably for years to come (as opposed to a 3 months then it's taken down service).

Channel 4 in the uk has practice/qualification/race streaming after only a few hours delay. They stay out there for a while (Monaco is out there now, and you can download them in app.) Hint: VPN allows you access the All 4 app -- I've been pleased with PIA. You have to be careful to disable all your location stuff/cookies for the VPN to work.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Be interesting to see how Lewis gets on this weekend. He had a nightmare first Baku Grand Prix last year.

Max has been running well so will be interesting to see how that gets translated into qualifying.
Thankfully I get a live race this weekend.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Verstappen and Vettels cars being fully worked on an hour before qualifying. Mercedes looking good before getting underway.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Red flag in Q3 will make the last 3:33 challenging! If nobody can improve Vettel will be starting 6th.
I'm sure Bottas is hoping it proves futile as he is currently sat at the top of the pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.