Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
I honestly don't think Vettel intended to hit Hamilton, but I agree with the penalty just to send a message that if it was intentional, you're going to pay for it and if it wasn't, well keep better control of your car.
Except Vettel didn't pay for it, he had a 9 point swing against Hamilton compared to his position prior to that round of penalties. Vettel's penalty should have been larger than Hamilton's in my opinion.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Except Vettel didn't pay for it, he had a 9 point swing against Hamilton compared to his position prior to that round of penalties. Vettel's penalty should have been larger than Hamilton's in my opinion.
Hamilton didn't get a penalty. He just had to have his neck brace fitted correctly as something clearly didn't go back into place after the red flag.
Otherwise it was a Lewis win for sure.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Hamilton didn't get a penalty. He just had to have his neck brace fitted correctly as something clearly didn't go back into place after the red flag.
Otherwise it was a Lewis win for sure.

undoubtedly.

i still don't believe he's 100% innocent in the thing though. although i will say, again, vettel should have been a little more patient and he really shouldn't have hit him. if you're going to do that you should make sure you take his car out. a la his hero Schumacer. that way your opponent doesn't score any points for sure and if you get docked any it won't matter as much.

although i'd advise against any such action/reaction.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I honestly don't think Vettel intended to hit Hamilton, but I agree with the penalty just to send a message that if it was intentional, you're going to pay for it and if it wasn't, well keep better control of your car.
It sure looked deliberate and the penalty should have been much harsher. It was dangerous and juvenile. He accused Lewis of deliberately putting on the brakes to cause the initial collision only problem with that is the report from the stewards who looked at the telemetry from the cars says that Lewis did that corner exactly the same way on the previous lap. Vettel was frustrated when he rear ended Lewis in his mind it was Lewis's fault and he lost it and the next move was deliberate. You know what they say about rear end collision it is never the fault of the guy in front.

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
It sure looked deliberate and the penalty should have been much harsher. It was dangerous and juvenile. He accused Lewis of deliberately putting on the brakes to cause the initial collision only problem with that is the report from the stewards who looked at the telemetry from the cars says that Lewis did that corner exactly the same way on the previous lap. Vettel was frustrated when he rear ended Lewis in his mind it was Lewis's fault and he lost it and the next move was deliberate. You know what they say about rear end collision it is never the fault of the guy in front.

Agree, absolutely shocking that the stewards with the telemetry did not black flag Vettel.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
undoubtedly.

i still don't believe he's 100% innocent in the thing though. although i will say, again, vettel should have been a little more patient and he really shouldn't have hit him. if you're going to do that you should make sure you take his car out. a la his hero Schumacer. that way your opponent doesn't score any points for sure and if you get docked any it won't matter as much.

although i'd advise against any such action/reaction.
Haters are going to hate!
[doublepost=1498478183][/doublepost]
Agree, absolutely shocking that the stewards with the telemetry did not black flag Vettel.
If it was a rookie it would have been a black flag for sure.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
People view incidences like this based on are they Mercedes/Ferrari fans OR Hamilton/Vettel fans. It's hard to be objective.

FIA have declared Lewis was consistent restart to restart. He should've been punished IF the first restart contravened the rules. It didn't nor was there a complaint from Ferrari. Complaints to the stewards are made via e-mail, and let's just say, many teams aren't shy about letting Mr. Whiting know their views.

My speculation is Vettel was looking for a chance to make a pass on Lewis during the restart. The crazy long first straight of Baku after the restart was probably the only place he could on the track. The minute he makes contact, he goes on the radio and says "Lewis brake checked me."

I understand why Vettel may have thought it. He was trying to anticipate something. It' also easy to get distracted in the car setting the adjustments for a rocket run to the first corner. Mistakes happen, and they are forgivable. Radio gamesmanship is now a common thing in F1. Memories of Alonso and Vettel whinging about each other in Abu Dhabi? a couple of years ago is a great example.

Pulling alongside a competitor and raising your hand is ok in my book. (I still remember the Coulthard/Shumacher exchange which was more than a raised hand.)

Deliberately crashing into another driver is wholly inexcusable. If I were FIA (and I'm not) I would disqualify Vettel from the race and give him a two race ban. Ferrari would appeal, and I'd reduce it to one. (I love in the old days of F1 if you appealed a decision looking for a lesser punishment, you may receive additional punishment for appealing!) I doubt this will happen. Schumacher was once given a one-race ban for simulating a start and jumping ahead of Damon Hill prior to the green flag of a grand prix.

Perhaps you think I'm overly Draconian in my view. If there were video of Perez/Grosjean/Palmer deliberately crashing into another car, people would be screaming for long bans.

Reactions: nebo1ss

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
As pachyderm noted, if the goal was to knock Lewis out of the race, it would make more sense for Vettel to just shove Lewis into the wall ala Schumacher / Hill in Adelaide. Or just wait until the end of the straight and plow into him ala Senna / Prost at Suzuka.

I just feel it wasn't deliberate because his left hand wasn't on the wheel when the car turned in. It also doesn't make much sense to me to try and hit Lewis due to the risk of damage to his car (he'd already damaged his wing rear-ending him, so why make it worse?).

I think Vettel was accelerating hard to get next to Lewis, had his left hand up to gesture to him as he pulled alongside, and the torque jump to the rear wheels pushed the car out of alignment. With only one hand on the wheel, he couldn't control it. *shrug*

Reactions: pachyderm

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
I think Vettel was accelerating hard to get next to Lewis, had his left hand up to gesture to him as he pulled alongside, and the torque jump to the rear wheels pushed the car out of alignment. With only one hand on the wheel, he couldn't control it. *shrug*
So your excuse is Vettel is incompetent? A driver must maintain control of his car at all times. Even if I grant that it wasn't deliberate, stupidity that affects other drivers should be penalized. I am very surprised that both cars didn't break their front suspensions. If Vettel had taken both cars out a 10 point or so penalty, or perhaps a 1 race ban, would have been appropriate.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't think Vettel meant to take Lewis out of the race. He assumed Lewis would accelerate out of the corner but he didn't, which is his right, therefore Vettel shunted him. Red mist descended on him and he barged him with his car to make a point and that is totally unacceptable.

Today I would imagine Vettel has reviewed the incident and realised he made himself look like a total tool. Will he apologise? I doubt it, he made too many accusations and would look silly conceding.

As the season hots up, Hamilton appears to be beating Vettel in the psychological battle.

Reactions: apolloa

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So your excuse is Vettel is incompetent? A driver must maintain control of his car at all times. Even if I grant that it wasn't deliberate, stupidity that affects other drivers should be penalized. I am very surprised that both cars didn't break their front suspensions. If Vettel had taken both cars out a 10 point or so penalty, or perhaps a 1 race ban, would have been appropriate.

It's not an excuse, it's an observation. And I agree that a driver should maintain control of their car at all times and stated that handing down a penalty was an appropriate action by the stewards even if it was not an intentional act because Vettel should have maintained control.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I don't think Vettel meant to take Lewis out of the race. He assumed Lewis would accelerate out of the corner but he didn't, which is his right, therefore Vettel shunted him. Red mist descended on him and he barged him with his car to make a point and that is totally unacceptable.

Today I would imagine Vettel has reviewed the incident and realised he made himself look like a total tool. Will he apologise? I doubt it, he made too many accusations and would look silly conceding.

As the season hots up, Hamilton appears to be beating Vettel in the psychological battle.

Yeah, but I saw Hamilton act like an immature spoilt brat when his team messed up in Monaco last year and he came in third instead of first, when he parked his car in the winners spot for instance he rammed the number 3 sign, and then took ages to get out.

I have a feeling one of the reasons the race was stopped, bar the debris, was to make the drivers calm down as a lot of them were getting hot headed.

So I'm just saying Hamilton is definitely not immune to being affected phsycologically.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
With race stopped I was thinking/hoping we'd have a NASCAR moment between Vettel and Hamilton. Maybe those two need to let off some steam outside the car. Hamilton looks like he's in great shape, Vettel is probably in good shape too but I might give the edge to Hamilton.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yeah, but I saw Hamilton act like an immature spoilt brat when his team messed up in Monaco last year and he came in third instead of first, when he parked his car in the winners spot for instance he rammed the number 3 sign, and then took ages to get out.

I have a feeling one of the reasons the race was stopped, bar the debris, was to make the drivers calm down as a lot of them were getting hot headed.

So I'm just saying Hamilton is definitely not immune to being affected phsycologically.
I wasn't suggesting Hamilton is. If these guys didn't get upset and show frustration then I don't think they'd be at the level they are. Give me a spoilt brat racing driver over a calm PR robot any day of the week.

Reactions: F1Mac

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
With race stopped I was thinking/hoping we'd have a NASCAR moment between Vettel and Hamilton. Maybe those two need to let off some steam outside the car. Hamilton looks like he's in great shape, Vettel is probably in good shape too but I might give the edge to Hamilton.
Hamilton is black belt. Vettel is a father, if he engage in physical altercation it would be a further bad role model, leave that kind of behavior for Jos Verstappen. FIA stewards were gutless and missed the opportunity to make an example here, this will have future precedent for more incidents.

Honestly Hamilton head is in a better place right now and I think he is too mature for off track altercation, despite ridiculous things he says which lost me as a fan. When it come to lashing out, it seems to be Vettel lately, before Hamilton it was with Kvyat, Verstappen and Whiting too. On the plus side, if this gets bad, it may create an opportunity for Ferrari to reconsider Alonso.

Yes, Hamilton will use this as his advantage, his typical tactic.

As for NASCAR, with the forced safety car they're doing, F1 is going to be NASCAR pretty soon.

Last edited:

F1Mac

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Honestly Hamilton head is in a better place right now and I think he is too mature for off track altercation, despite ridiculous things he says which lost me as a fan. When it come to lashing out, it seems to be Vettel lately, before Hamilton it was with Kvyat, Verstappen and Whiting too. On the plus side, if this gets bad, it may create an opportunity for Ferrari to reconsider Alonso.

Nah nothing will happen. They are both mature enough to let it go and move on (and even if they weren't, their bosses will help them get to their senses in no time). It will happen on the track. A good rivalry is what we all ask for after all, it's racing! Reminds me of the good old days of Prost and Senna, who even were teammates!

Yes, Hamilton will use this as his advantage, his typical tactic.

Yes but the season is far from over, and Ferrari is in a much better place that in the past years.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Nah nothing will happen. They are both mature enough to let it go and move on (and even if they weren't, their bosses will help them get to their senses in no time). It will happen on the track. A good rivalry is what we all ask for after all, it's racing! Reminds me of the good old days of Prost and Senna, who even were teammates!

Yes but the season is far from over, and Ferrari is in a much better place that in the past years.
Senna and Prost were never teammates. They might have driven for the same team, but never teammates.

F1Mac

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Senna and Prost were never teammates. They might have driven for the same team, but never teammates.

Both part of the same team, therefore teammates, unless there's a new definition. Anyways, I didn't say they were buddies, but you know what I meant.

MachCrit

Suspended
Jun 5, 2017
Lurking About the Planet
....only problem with that is the report from the stewards who looked at the telemetry from the cars says that Lewis did that corner exactly the same way on the previous lap. ...

So the Little Diva braked checked Vettel on the previous lap as well? ;)

Glad Riccardo got the win. One of the few decent blokes driving in F1 today.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
So Vettel may face further sanctions for his actions in Baku. To be announced prior to the Austrian Grand Prix.
I bet he gets off because he is a former WC and drives for Ferrari.

lol

i hope so.

the worst thing that can happen is that vettel gets a race ban or loses more points.

it would virtually hand your little tw*t the title. and that would be even worse for f1.

ferrari winning is better for the sport.

not that i care, really anyone winning it other than a repeat(read back to back) winner is better for the whole of f1.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
lol

i hope so.

the worst thing that can happen is that vettel gets a race ban or loses more points.

it would virtually hand your little tw*t the title. and that would be even worse for f1.

ferrari winning is better for the sport.

not that i care, really anyone winning it other than a repeat(read back to back) winner is better for the whole of f1.
Pretty sure Nico isn't going to win it this year ;)

TBH I just think Ferrari get better treatment than others. Imagine if Sauber had done it! Instant black flag.

But I agree. Not knowing that only 2 different cars can win each time does make the sport more interesting. Nobody wants to see just one team dominate. Even if their number one driver is a really great bloke!
LewisHamiltonEditorialistSpringSummere-0LVWi0M9px-750x501.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.