Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I hope Vettel gets put to the back of the grid at least.

I don't hate drivers like some of you here, but I'm all for fair treatment.
I don't hate Vettel. Just got a bit bored with him winning all the time.
Plus the team orders incident with Mark Webber (who seems like a really nice bloke) probably put a lot of people off.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
I find it interesting Ferrari is unwilling to release their telemetry to FIA. Or, at least that is the claim, of two respected F1 journalists...

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I don't hate Vettel. Just got a bit bored with him winning all the time.
Plus the team orders incident with Mark Webber (who seems like a really nice bloke) probably put a lot of people off.

aahhh.. so you get bored when one guys wins all the time... aaahhh haaaa... :rolleyes:

:p

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I want Lewis to win. Just not every race and not by a country mile. I want racing, overtaking and unpredictablity.
Same for me. As a fan of Hamilton I like to see him win but don't want it to be easy. Last corner of the last lap of the last race please!! Let's have plenty of winners through the season and see a proper championship battle!

Reactions: Apple fanboy

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Seb definitely hit him on purpose. I don't see it any other way. He's been penalized so that should be the end of it.

As a Damon Hill fan I personally find it funny that none of the Hamilton fans seem to be happy with this. Were any of you following F1 in '94? Because Adelaide was a much bigger travesty. Just saying.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Seb definitely hit him on purpose. I don't see it any other way. He's been penalized so that should be the end of it.

As a Damon Hill fan I personally find it funny that none of the Hamilton fans seem to be happy with this. Were any of you following F1 in '94? Because Adelaide was a much bigger travesty. Just saying.
I was watching in 94 and was a fan of Hill too. I think calling for Seb to start from the back of the grid is consistent with my outrage 23 years ago. If Seb had damaged Hamiltons car then we could have been in a situation where the result decides the WDC this year. He didn't thankfully but driving into someone on purpose is unacceptable and regardless of who it is, I think a 10 second stop and go penalty is rather lean.

I'm not mad about this incident however, it's in the past and I want to get back to the racing.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Kvyat hit Seb twice and knocked him out of the Russian GP last year and I do not recall the stewards taking any actions against him so...

The 10 Second Stop and Go seemed appropriate to me because unlike the time penalties, it could not be added after the race so See had to come in - making that 10 second penalty more like 40 once you add Pit In and Pit Out times.

And honestly, I expect it would be as effective a penalty at denying Seb points as starting him at the back for Austria because then he would have the entire race to use the superior performance of his Ferrari to pass everyone and still finish 3rd or 4th.

It was just bad luck for Lewis that he also had to come in, as well, to fix his car otherwise he would have easily won and taken the WDC lead.

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Kvyat hit Seb twice and knocked him out of the Russian GP last year and I do not recall the stewards taking any actions against him so...

The 10 Second Stop and Go seemed appropriate to me because unlike the time penalties, it could not be added after the race so See had to come in - making that 10 second penalty more like 40 once you add Pit In and Pit Out times.

And honestly, I expect it would be as effective a penalty at denying Seb points as starting him at the back for Austria because then he would have the entire race to use the superior performance of his Ferrari to pass everyone and still finish 3rd or 4th.

It was just bad luck for Lewis that he also had to come in, as well, to fix his car otherwise he would have easily won and taken the WDC lead.
Don't worry. Lewis will by the end!

As for hitting a driver accidentally at hitting a driver on purpose they are two different things.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
The first one might have been an accident, but the second one was effectively deliberate - Seb was in his way and he just punted him.

I'm not sure I saw this the same way as you (no right/wrong is intimated.) Kyvat's move was aggressive for sure. I'll also note in most forms of motor racing it's common for people competing for championships to have moves like this made on them from a non-championship contender. It's basically a "I have nothing to lose by going for it. You can close the door if you want, however there may be significant implications to your championship quest if you do."

I contrast this with moving alongside another car for the purpose of making a gesture and causing contact. Deliberate or not it happened due to vanity and could've been avoided. The sporting regulations require no proof of intent.

Vettel has too much talent to do such things.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It depends how penalties are judged though. If stewards view wheel banging while fighting for position and ramming an opponent in frustration as the same, then the latter could be perceived as a worthwhile risk.

They've decided not to take action though so nothing can really be done. I hope Lewis gives him a nudge at some point, it could make it exciting later in the season.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It depends how penalties are judged though. If stewards view wheel banging while fighting for position and ramming an opponent in frustration as the same, then the latter could be perceived as a worthwhile risk.

They've decided not to take action though so nothing can really be done. I hope Lewis gives him a nudge at some point, it could make it exciting later in the season.
I'm glad he apologised.
I agree we need to move on as at the end of the day it wasn't this incident that cost Lewis the win (if it had that would be a travesty).
Lets get back to racing!

Upgraded Honda engine means McLaren might be competitive in Austria.....

(with the pace car)!

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
The Austrian Grand Prix will be the first race in decades without Ron Dennis being associated with McLaren. It's hard to imagine the future of F1 will continue with Racers/Management to the level of Ron Dennis and Frank Williams. Sure the Horner, Wolf, and Brown have raced, but they've come up through the sport in a more corporate world. None of their cars were built in sheds.

Sometimes massive transitions happen in front of your eyes and you don't recognise them.

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Lewis looks to have had a good days practice.

The upgraded Honda engines have given a much needed boost to McLaren. But will they last the race? Doubtful.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Lewis looks to have had a good days practice.

The upgraded Honda engines have given a much needed boost to McLaren. But will they last the race? Doubtful.

5 spot penalty for Lewie...
[doublepost=1499480970][/doublepost]
OOlGlkY.png

eFckFMq.png

alwaysbeincontact

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
USA
its all politics, look who heads the FIA? No surprise here. Vettel should atleast get a race ban in my opinion. I still love F1 but the drama...

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
its all politics, look who heads the FIA? No surprise here. Vettel should atleast get a race ban in my opinion. I still love F1 but the drama...

Well the FIA has long been quipped as "Ferrari's International Assistance". :p

IMO, Todt's been a bit of a paper tiger since assuming the Presidency. He's certainly been more laissez-faire than Mosley. So I don't really see it as him favoring Ferrari, but business as usual. Heck, Ocon's hit on Perez in Baku was much more substantial and damaging and the FIA / stewards did nothing.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Went on my annual GoodWood Festival Of Speed trip last weekend, 2 days this year and still didn't see it all haha. I have to say up close, the current F1 cars sound like overblown vacuum cleaners compared to the older V8 and V10 cars! They had a Red Bull car from a 2011, the RB7 and by God that sounded like pure luurrevliness, like an F1 car SHOULD sound!
They also had the newley restored Williams car that was the first with active suspension and traction control, I think Mansell drove that back in the day?

Some fantastic machines, and more Ferraris then you could poke a stick at including one incredible F40 racer that sounded awesome!

I missed Botas unfortunately at the top of the hill as he was singing autographs :( but I did get an official Red Bull iPhone 6S case and a cap :)

And another surprise was Mark Webber is tall! And has a funny sense of humour, he was interviewing Eccleston who did sound like an old man bless him. They were celebrating Bernie this year who love him or hate him has made F1 what it is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.