Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Same here now, Channel 4 or I don't bother.

Looks like F1's following in the UK is pretty much dead after next year. Terrestrial TV are losing the coverage and the British GP is finishing. I can't see any other track in the country picking it up as they don't have the infrastructure. Britain will be the home of F1 without the interest. Sad times, but it's only sport I suppose.
It's possible that the government might step in (like all the others), but I doubt it.
Too busy spending their money on other crap we don't need!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It's possible that the government might step in (like all the others), but I doubt it.
Too busy spending their money on other crap we don't need!
To be honest I'd rather our government stay out of it. It's a rich sport that has been used by many governments to show off wealth and it's driven the hosting cost through the roof. Blue ribbon tracks like Silverstone who are self sufficient more or less are now lost off the calendar due to promoters greed.

I'm glad Silverstone have pulled out in a way because it takes even more heritage out of the sport. F1 is rapidly distancing itself from its history in chase of the money and in the future I think it'll realise what it's lost.

Reactions: zagato27

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I see there is another F1 display in London tonight, with the talk inevitably turning to a possible street race there.
Not sure that would work for me.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I think the lack of a British GP and no terestrial coverage would be the nail in the coffin for me.

Although this season has started a little better, there's still very little genuine on-track racing, and more often than not I get to the end of the show questioning why I bothered, knowing perfectly well though I'll watch the next one!

I won't be subscribing to Sky though, so if I can't get some of the racing outside that I'll be hanging up my F1 hat and remembering my glory days of Senna v Prost :(

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

cbrand493

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2015
Perth, Australia
Same here now, Channel 4 or I don't bother.

Looks like F1's following in the UK is pretty much dead after next year. Terrestrial TV are losing the coverage and the British GP is finishing. I can't see any other track in the country picking it up as they don't have the infrastructure. Britain will be the home of F1 without the interest. Sad times, but it's only sport I suppose.
I reckon Liberty Media will get a new deal with Silverstone going before 2019

Reactions: Melrose

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Could London realistically have an F1 race around Piccadilly/Trafalgar Square?
I know they just did a show this week, but...

Where would the starting point be? Where would one be able to overtake, etc.? They do it in Monaco, but, they also spend a lot more, and generate a lot more money there.

I do hope they renew Silverstone, or offer an alternative to keep a UK circuit in F1.

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
A Mercedes 1-2 is just what we need on Sunday.
Looks like the Mercs should have the edge.
But practice is one thing. Qualifying/racing is another.

Second Practice
Silverstone, 14 July 2017
Driver Fastest Lap
fin.png
Bottas 1:28.496
gbr.png
Hamilton 1:28.543
fin.png
Raikkonen 1:28.828
ger.png
Vettel 1:28.956
ned.png
Verstappen 1:29.098
aus.png
Ricciardo 1:29.586
ger.png
Hulkenberg 1:29.936
brz.png
Massa 1:30.006
spa.png
Alonso 1:30.238
fra.png
Ocon 1:30.383
spa.png
Sainz Jnr 1:30.555
rus.png
Kvyat 1:30.562
mex.png
Perez 1:30.624
fra.png
Grosjean 1:30.661
can.png
Stroll 1:30.695
bel.png
Vandoorne 1:30.782
den.png
Magnussen 1:30.835
gbr.png
Palmer 1:30.879
swe.png
Ericsson 1:31.616
ger.png
Wehrlein 1:31.929
Last updated 14 July 2017 at 14:36
First Practice
Silverstone, 14 July 2017
Driver Fastest Lap
fin.png
Bottas 1:29.106
gbr.png
Hamilton 1:29.184
ned.png
Verstappen 1:29.604
aus.png
Ricciardo 1:29.942
fin.png
Raikkonen 1:30.137
ger.png
Vettel 1:30.517
rus.png
Kvyat 1:30.895
spa.png
Alonso 1:30.993
brz.png
Massa 1:30.999
bel.png
Vandoorne 1:31.041
spa.png
Sainz Jnr 1:31.200
fra.png
Ocon 1:31.210
mex.png
Perez 1:31.297
fra.png
Grosjean 1:31.610
can.png
Stroll 1:31.684
ita.png
Giovinazzi 1:32.031
ger.png
Hulkenberg 1:32.171
gbr.png
Palmer 1:32.450
ger.png
Wehrlein 1:33.029
swe.png
Ericsson 1:33.399
Last updated 14 July 2017 at 10:36

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
This assumes Mercedes wanted him - after seeing the fireworks between him and Lewis at McLaren, I am thinking not.

...if Lewis takes a powder when Bottas wins the title, he might just up and leave. Empty seat, Fernando?

You guys know I'm no fan of Lewis, and don't read anything into this other than what I say: It is really cool to see Bottas coming alive this year. I'm quite pleased that it's not simply a two-man show; I have to eat my words and admit Bottas is a much better driver than I anticipated. Plus, you can feel the hunger he has to win that Raikonnen and Button lost.

And seeing the honey badger on the podium so much is always awesome to watch. I love seeing him do well, esp. in a car that's down on power as it is.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Not a chance.
If Lewis doesn't win it will be Vettel who does. This is a two horse race.

Statistically, that's incorrect. Bottas is 15pts behind Hamilton, who can't even manage to get by a Red Bull. What changed my mind about Bottas was seeing him hunt from the back these last two races; he doesn't settle for less...that finish line pass on Stroll was amazing.

Actually, statistically, it's too early to tell. But we're not going to argue about it. I'm just enjoying the show.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Statistically, that's incorrect. Bottas is 15pts behind Hamilton, who can't even manage to get by a Red Bull. What changed my mind about Bottas was seeing him hunt from the back these last two races; he doesn't settle for less...that finish line pass on Stroll was amazing.

Actually, statistically, it's too early to tell. But we're not going to argue about it. I'm just enjoying the show.
Agree there are plenty of points left up for grabs. But whatever happens you can bet Vettel will get a good chunk of them.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
...if Lewis takes a powder when Bottas wins the title, he might just up and leave. Empty seat, Fernando?

Yes, if Lewis for some reason leaves Mercedes, then I would see them snapping up Fernando. But not while Lewis is still there - and doubly so if Lewis wins the WDC this year.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

You guys know I'm no fan of Lewis, and don't read anything into this other than what I say: It is really cool to see Bottas coming alive this year. I'm quite pleased that it's not simply a two-man show; I have to eat my words and admit Bottas is a much better driver than I anticipated. Plus, you can feel the hunger he has to win that Raikonnen and Button lost.

And seeing the honey badger on the podium so much is always awesome to watch. I love seeing him do well, esp. in a car that's down on power as it is.

Nor am I.
I like Bottas but he seems to do well when Lewie is distracted or penalized. I hope you'er correct but I don't see it.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Agree there are plenty of points left up for grabs. But whatever happens you can bet Vettel will get a good chunk of them.

Well, it's not going to be an easy fight. Neither Lewis nor Sebastien are easy marks; but he can certainly handle the pressure from both. It's just cool to see driver regarded as less experience or less talented do so well. And he's setting up well so far this weekend...well, penalty excepted.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
For some reason, I don't feel as if Lewis is 100% focused. Yes, he's had a few issues the last two races, time for him to get back to it.

However, if Bottas keeps this up, it will be a three horse race - Lewis, Vettel and Bottas. Anyway, up next, Silverstone...!

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
30 spot grid penalty?lol
[doublepost=1500085461][/doublepost]
For some reason, I don't feel as if Lewis is 100% focused. Yes, he's had a few issues the last two races, time for him to get back to it.

However, if Bottas keeps this up, it will be a three horse race - Lewis, Vettel and Bottas. Anyway, up next, Silverstone...!

it's GB. i can't see lewis not winning this race.

that said, if bottas wins(fingers crossed) and lewis, through some miracle(fingering my rosary madly as we speak) doesn't score any points... he'll be 10 points behind bottas... he he he he he.. aahhhh... he he he he...

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada

It does seem that way. Being the only driver who skips out on an event in his home country is really strange. All the while he's partying in Mykonos and making sure the entire world knows about it.

Toto Wolff showing up at Vettels birthday party.. things are definitely afoot at Mercedes!

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
...seriously, and all those fans that CAN'T make it to Silverstone, and Lewis is off in Greece. Ugh!?!

It does seem that way. Being the only driver who skips out on an event in his home country is really strange. All the while he's partying in Mykonos and making sure the entire world knows about it.

Toto Wolff showing up at Vettels birthday party.. things are definitely afoot at Mercedes!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Bottas for me has done well in certain scenarios but is yet to convince me he is as good as Rosberg. Hamilton hasn't been on the ball of late and needs to wake up and give us a decent fight for the sake of keeping F1 interesting.

I'm not like many of you wishing for misfortune on drivers as I like them all. I want to see a fierce title from guy this year. It feels like we've had pretty much 8 years of foregone conclusions mixed up occasionally by unreliability. Let's have another 2007 please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.