Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Good racing thus far. Not a fan of Kvyat!

Why did they ask Hamilton to let Bottas by (after the pit stop)? Weird, I must have missed it...
They thought he might hold him up and they need Bottas to not lose time against Vettel.
Proved pointless though. Lewis got up to speed straight away.
Dont think Bottas has an awnser to Vettel unless it rains.
But that would suit Max for sure.

Reactions: circatee

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hmm well it seems a set grid now? They all seem settled now. Would have been nice to see Max in 3RD but Red Bull do need more speed, the car is set, a real challenger to anyone else and in some corners it handles better than the Ferrari or Mercedes! But the engines just isn't quite quick enough.
Really impressed with Botas and happy he just obliterated Vettel!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Wow!! Ferrari utterly mess up! Wow! I see their strategists having words with the bosses.....

Max in fourth! Oh yeah....

But I hope Max had a puncture too otherwise Red Bull just threw away third place for Max....

Racing, haha..

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Wow!! Ferrari utterly mess up! Wow! I see their strategists having words with the bosses.....

Max in fourth! Oh yeah....

But I hope Max had a puncture too otherwise Red Bull just threw away third place for Max....

Racing, haha..
Yes bringing Max in seemed strange, but I guess they could see an issue we couldn't.

Might have been the umpteenth Merc 1-2 we've seen in recent years, but anything but boring.
A great British Grand Prix.
Now only 1 point between Vettel and Lewis in the title race.
Going to go down to the wire.
[doublepost=1500212249][/doublepost]
Wonder what happened to the tyres in the last few laps...
Northamptonshire police employed a stinger due to speeding ;)

Reactions: apolloa

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Without Ferarri's misfortune at the end, it would have been a pretty boring race. Other than Verstappen v Vettel at the beginning and seeing Ricciardo and Bottas move up the field, there wasn't really much 'racing' again.

Great result from a Championship perspective though, and all to play for in the 2nd half of the season. My prediction is that Mercedes will move away from Ferarri and Red Bull will catch them up, but never really get that close. Season will finish with Mercedes 1-2 Ferarri 3-4 and Red Bull 5-6.

And the biggest news of the day - a female Dr Who?

Last edited:

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
They thought he might hold him up and they need Bottas to not lose time against Vettel.
Proved pointless though. Lewis got up to speed straight away.
Dont think Bottas has an awnser to Vettel unless it rains.
But that would suit Max for sure.

You have to add to that they wanted to pit him in a couple of laps and therefore wanted him to go for it and build up as much time as possible before the pit stop.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Odd that he's happy to go crowd surfing, yet he was the only driver who refused to do the event in London.
He was on holiday.
Basically he's said he wants to cut back on events outside of race weekends.
He's been on the circuit for a long time. It must get old after a while.
[doublepost=1500232516][/doublepost]
You have to add to that they wanted to pit him in a couple of laps and therefore wanted him to go for it and build up as much time as possible before the pit stop.
Yes but Lewis didn't hold him up. He just drove off!

Reactions: pachyderm

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Wonder what happened to the tyres in the last few laps...
Ferrari gambled and lost. They changed tyres quite early in the race and the replacements did not have enough laps in them. The tyres simply ran out of laps.
[doublepost=1500232597][/doublepost]
He was on holiday.
[doublepost=1500232516][/doublepost]

[doublepost=1500232718][/doublepost][QUOTE="Apple fanboy, post: 24805379, member: 671193"
Yes but Lewis didn't hold him up. He just drove off!

I agree, lewis never held him up. Was simply commenting on why the team even thought about letting him through.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

cbrand493

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2015
Perth, Australia
He was on holiday.

That's a terrible excuse regardless. If he's getting tired of what's expected of a Formula 1 driver (on and off the track) then he's in the wrong sport. Being good at something doesn't mean he can do whatever he pleases, especially in his home country. Even though everything he did for the fans on Sunday was great, that was a lousy showing in London and basically was him showing that he cares more about his holiday to LA to hang out with Kanye West, than his fans. Every other driver was there, and while Toto Wolff brushed it off as nothing, I bet the Mercedes PR gave Hamilton a slap on the wrist for it because that was terrible publicity for them. If anyone else did that (especially the likes of Vettel after Baku), he would be chastised for it. It really gave the image of Hamilton not caring.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
That's a terrible excuse regardless. If he's getting tired of what's expected of a Formula 1 driver (on and off the track) then he's in the wrong sport. Being good at something doesn't mean he can do whatever he pleases, especially in his home country. Even though everything he did for the fans on Sunday was great, that was a lousy showing in London and basically was him showing that he cares more about his holiday to LA to hang out with Kanye West, than his fans. Every other driver was there, and while Toto Wolff brushed it off as nothing, I bet the Mercedes PR gave Hamilton a slap on the wrist for it because that was terrible publicity for them. If anyone else did that (especially the likes of Vettel after Baku), he would be chastised for it. It really gave the image of Hamilton not caring.

It's hard as the Mercedes boss to slam your own driver so obviously Wolff had to brush it off. Anything other than that could create a riff amongst the team and not worth the trouble it could cause.

As a fan, when a driver accepts 30+ million per year in salary and chooses to party instead of attending a fan event, that comes off as arrogant. Would be awesome if Bottas can somehow win the title this year.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Perhaps we could start a petition to get him sacked? We all know Hamilton can be a bit of a knob off the track. I met him after the 2008 British GP and he was still relatively fresh in the sport and eager to do as much promo work as possible, he was also a nice approachable guy. He's a lot different these days with his vanity and famous chums but who knows? He has dogs yo walk and Instagram pics to take you know.

I know Alonso and Kimi have signed contracts with conditions for less PR stuff so Lewis isn't alone when over a decade into his F1 career. It's often quite common for number 2 drivers and reserve drivers to do this sort of publicity stunt, especially when the number 1 is a triple WDC. I remember seeing Renault F1 do an event at the Renault World Series a few years ago. Piquet Jr and Di Grassi did the doughnuts and Alonso stayed in Spain.

Perhaps Lewis will pop to Croydon and do an event and get you all to put him back in the good books?

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
KANYE WEST. That's grounds for a public hanging at the Tower of London! ;)

Last Renault World Series thing I went to we got the third string backup test driver in the newest F1 car they were allowed to run. On the upside Jean Ragnotti was immense in the R5 Turbo Group B rally car. :D

cbrand493

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2015
Perth, Australia
Hey I do! I wasn't in London myself but spent much of this week incensed that Hamilton had taken another holiday.

I've noticed this over this year and last year, people are becoming a lot more pee'd off with Hamilton's off-track behaviour. Perhaps it's because people are scrutinising him more because of his dominance in the last few years I don't know. He's a fantastic driver in line with the likes of Vettel, Alonso, Schumacher etc. but he's turned into a complete and utter pr**k. I think he is the most childish, pathetic, cry-baby F1 driver ever. If things don't go his way he turns into a baby and starts whinging. And all of this new "god bless you" BS. Where the hell did that come from he never used to do that? I've nothing against religion and people's beliefs but this "blessed by god" bs he's started recently is simply stupid. You're not blessed by god, your parents paid out a fortune to get you all the karting you ever wanted and got a big break with McLaren when you were a kid. He acts like he's from the ghetto, not from a middle class British family. If it wasn't for his attitude, I'd probably like him.

Reactions: pachyderm
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.