Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
They tried this out at the last race. Vettel ran it on his car for one lap and complained it made him dizzy.
Apparently visual distortion was a problem. It is possible to minimize such distortion but it would require variable thickness polycarbonate (I assume they aren't using real glass as that's very heavy) which creates weak points for impact tests.

Reactions: pachyderm

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I say scrap it. Part of the excitement and buzz is the risk. Stirling Moss used to say the major buzz for him was knowing there was a chance he could die every time he stepped in the car. Driving it close to the limit and on the edge of danger was the thrill.

I love road racing and the fact health and safety hasn't interfered. I support certain safety measures for F1 but open cockpit racing should be just that IMO.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
They tried this out at the last race. Vettel ran it on his car for one lap and complained it made him dizzy.
The curved glass was the problem, even a non-expert in optics could understood that. Or if you driven a bike with curved windshield. It was just bad design which is surprising coming from F1 engineers.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So I'm travelling to the US this weekend. Will arrive in LA Sunday evening. What are my chances of finding the Hungry GP on my hotel TV? Zero I'm guessing! I guess I'll record it and try and avoid the result for a week! Like that would happen.
Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 23.26.28.png

Looks like Daniel is going well. Topped FP1 and FP2! I'd love to see them mix it up with Ferrari and Mercedes.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
So I'm travelling to the US this weekend. Will arrive in LA Sunday evening. What are my chances of finding the Hungry GP on my hotel TV? Zero I'm guessing! I guess I'll record it and try and avoid the result for a week! Like that would happen.
View attachment 710629
Looks like Daniel is going well. Topped FP1 and FP2! I'd love to see them mix it up with Ferrari and Mercedes.

Could be rough seeing it on Sunday evening. Check FOX Sports or FOX 1 or NBCSN. Should get those channels in a hotel in LA, San Franciso might be a different story. You might be able to see a repeat of it on one of those channels. When in doubt...GOOGLE is your friend. Well, you might get Siri to answer but I live on the Android side. Hey, I had a IIc and still have a G5 (collecting dust). Good Luck.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So I'm travelling to the US this weekend. Will arrive in LA Sunday evening. What are my chances of finding the Hungry GP on my hotel TV?

Qualifying and the Race are on NBCSN (NBC Sports Network). Probably depends on the hotel - I find the "business hotels" (Hilton Garden Inn | Courtyard by Marriott) tend to use DirectTV or local cable and have a pretty big selection of channels so you might get lucky.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Qualifying and the Race are on NBCSN (NBC Sports Network). Probably depends on the hotel - I find the "business hotels" (Hilton Garden Inn | Courtyard by Marriott) tend to use DirectTV or local cable and have a pretty big selection of channels so you might get lucky.
Fingers crossed then! It's a quality hotel (I hope!).

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
The new flip flop or sandles head safety system lol!! Looks ridiculous..

Anyway my boy Max will be in fourth or third, and will be hit off the track on corner 1 or his car will break down on lap 2, that's my prediction based on the season so far haha...

I'll laugh even harder if McLaren finish in the top 3...

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
why is massa out?

di resta is in for him.

ok, answered my own questions: felipe is/was feeling dizzy after a couple of the practice sessions.

raise your hand if you knew that di resta was scottish....

and does anyone remember who he is related to?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So Sauber's new Team Manager has ended talks with Honda for running their Power Unit in 2018 and will instead continue with Ferrari, attempting to get current-season engines (as opposed to the last-season engines they are running in 2017).

So I guess that means McLaren will be sticking with Honda? Or will they too switch to Mercedes and Honda will leave F1?

I also see Palmer is still at Renault (and Sainz at Torro Rosso) and it appears that his seat has been confirmed as safe for 2017 by Renault's management.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Hmm interesting qualifying, daft Merc des are complaining about their cars over steering or something when they are in the top 4 still! And Red Bull up there and McLaren are mid field... let's see if any of my predictions come true tomorrow, will see if a Ferrari risk it all again like the last race.

Diving Capers

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
View attachment 710629

You could use VPN and watch the extended highlights on 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.