Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
Why did Hamilton abort at the end? He had a minute to go when he finished his final timed lap.

Diving Capers

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
That's a good idea! I caught most of the highlights of qualifying on my iPhone on the train. Kept loosing visuals though.

I know BBC iPlayer lets you download content but I'm not sure is the channel 4 player has the same functionality. If it does you can download it.

The loss of visuals must have been due to the internet connection while onthe train, I use it quite regularly at home and as long as the connection is stable I can stream at will without issues.

The channel 4 extended highlights are almost the full race, they last 90 minutes, so you don't miss much at all.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I know BBC iPlayer lets you download content but I'm not sure is the channel 4 player has the same functionality. If it does you can download it.

The loss of visuals must have been due to the internet connection while onthe train, I use it quite regularly at home and as long as the connection is stable I can stream at will without issues.

The channel 4 extended highlights are almost the full race, they last 90 minutes, so you don't miss much at all.
Agree. Highlights is sometimes the better option anyway.

Diving Capers

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
Specially when you'll be in LA , you don't want to spend 3 hours watching TV... you want to spend those hours eating burgers, TexMex and drinking chili beer on the Santa Monica pier

Edit: you can download the stream.

Last edited:

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
About time! Just wish Kimi would have won but a good result for Vettel/Kimi and Ferrari anyway. Now for the August doldrums. Yard work, car washing and detailing I guess. Well there is cars & coffee to look forward to. Gonna try a new venue, Hilton Head. Might be some exotics there.

Reactions: pachyderm

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I believe Ferrari was really lucky that Mercedes also had issues, otherwise I think this could have gone poorly for them by keeping Seb ahead of Kimi. It's one thing to try and hold on with 10 laps to go, but 30...

I also think Lewis should not have had to give the position back because Lewis was clearly faster once he was let by and while it's only three points between 3rd and 4th, the way this season has been, that could mean something at year's end.

Personally I think the 10 second penalty against Max was not warranted as it looked to me like a racing incident. Max was on the inside and had his wheel in full lock to the left so he wasn't pushing Daniel wide, but instead slid into him when he locked-up. And while Daniel had moved ahead on the run in, that was because Max had lost some momentum due to having to stand on the brakes first with Kimi and then with Valteri. That being said, it was clear Daniel was absolutely livid over it so good thing there is a full month till Spa.

And I loved the painting of Alonso sunbathing at the 2016 race in Parc Ferme - as well as Alonso grabbing a chair and re-creating the scene on top of it. Plus fastest lap!

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Oh Max Max Max Max........ :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Never mind, I dont think he meant to do that and it's a shame as the Red Bull car was right up there threataning the Mercedes! Could have been a podium win for him. I think Ricarrdo is being a bit over dramatic with his response.

I also think the 10 second penalty for Max was a joke, that's the exact same they gave Vettel when he rammed Hamilton and that's WAS out of pure arrogant stupidity, not racing at all!

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Oh Max Max Max Max........ :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Never mind, I dont think he meant to do that and it's a shame as the Red Bull car was right up there threataning the Mercedes! Could have been a podium win for him. I think Ricarrdo is being a bit over dramatic with his response.

I also think the 10 second penalty for Max was a joke, that's the exact same they gave Vettel when he rammed Hamilton and that's WAS out of pure arrogant stupidity, not racing at all!

I doubt it was on purpose...it was the opening chaos; it's unlike Daniel to respond the way he did, but he likely had high hopes with the way the weekend was going, so understandable frustration I guess.

The stewards make no sense whatsoever; Hulkenberg got away with something similar. At Monaco there was a blatant unsafe release in front of Button in the pits but they skipped right over it. The stewards being inconsistent is the single most frustrating thing for me.

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I doubt it was on purpose...it was the opening chaos; it's unlike Daniel to respond the way he did, but he likely had high hopes with the way the weekend was going, so understandable frustration I guess.

The stewards make no sense whatsoever; Hulkenberg got away with something similar. At Monaco there was a blatant unsafe release in front of Button in the pits but they skipped right over it. The stewards being inconsistent is the single most frustrating thing for me.

I know, it was a pure racing accident and not on purpose at all yet he and the team are heavily punished for it.. not impressed with the stewards at all.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I know, it was a pure racing accident and not on purpose at all yet he and the team are heavily punished for it.. not impressed with the stewards at all.

...my question is: Who penalizes the stewards for failing to do their job properly? :?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
it won't be a true engine manufactured by Alfa Romeo. it will be a ferrari with an Alfa Romeo badge... so same watered down power plant we've already seen dragging around the back of, or middle of, the pack.

While Sauber currently runs 2016 engines, Haas is only one specification behind the 2017 engine installed in the factory car. And Sauber is negotiating to upgrade to the 2018 engine next year, as well.

Also, the SF cars themselves have the Alfa Romeo badge and name on the engine cover so badging the Haas and Sauber machines as Alfas...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So couldn't see the race until today, but managed to avoid hearing the results.

Not the most exciting race. A wounded Vettel keeping everyone at bay as the track is so hard to pass on.
What a difference between teams though.
Ferrari happy to put the 1-2 at risk as they wouldn't let Kimi pass Vettel.
Mercedes let there fastest driver past the slower one to try and get the win.
Fair play to Lewis letting Bottas back in front. Not many team mates would do that. Given his radio issues, he could have pretended to not hear!
Still I guess the Lewis haters on here will still find a way to hate him for it!

And great progress for McLaren. Two drivers in the points and a fastest lap! Loved the Alonso painting as well!

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
How on earth did you manage to go a whole week without hearing the result?

I usually struggle to avoid the result before the highlights start that evening when I don't watch it live!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
How on earth did you manage to go a whole week without hearing the result?

I usually struggle to avoid the result before the highlights start that evening when I don't watch it live!
Well not being on FB or Twitter helps. Staying off sports apps etc.
Plus being in the US they don't mention F1 on news all that often.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
alonso also had the fastest lap of the race...
[doublepost=1502019402][/doublepost]
1.Ferrari happy to put the 1-2 at risk as they wouldn't let Kimi pass Vettel.

2.Fair play to Lewis letting Bottas back in front. Not many team mates would do that. Given his radio issues, he could have pretended to not hear!
Still I guess the Lewis haters on here will still find a way to hate him for it!

1.huh? did you mean not happy?

2.but why? such a stupid moot point. he needed the points for the title? minuscule as they were.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
alonso also had the fastest lap of the race...
[doublepost=1502019402][/doublepost]

1.huh? did you mean not happy?

2.but why? such a stupid moot point. he needed the points for the title? minuscule as they were.
No I mean they we're happy to risk the race win rather than let Kimi in front. It worked out in the end but if Lewis had passed Kimi it would have been a bad decision process.
Mercedes have a policy to let their drivers race (which is good for us).
However Ferrari have always had a clear No1 and No2 driver.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
No I mean they we're happy to risk the race win rather than let Kimi in front. It worked out in the end but if Lewis had passed Kimi it would have been a bad decision process.
Mercedes have a policy to let their drivers race (which is good for us).
However Ferrari have always had a clear No1 and No2 driver.

aaahhh...

strongly disagree on both ;) I do believe if that were the case we'd see much better racing though. and that goes for all the teams. but i just don't think it is the case.

also, good morning...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So what do F1 drivers do in the summer break and why is Lewis Hamilton always jetting off to LA?
IMG_3430.JPG

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
We might get Mercedes this time. The car is solid, we just need that the management doesn't screw it out!
The biggest advantage Ferrari have is unless he gets a dnf Vettel will always earn more points than Kimi. They will make sure that happens. Even like last time when Vettel's car was not running well.
Whereas Mercedes points will be divided between their drivers depending on who does best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.