Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Not so much a hater, more of a *facepalm what are you doing Lewis you could be so much cooler if you were like Ricciardo or something like that
I think he brings a high profile to the sport that the others do not.
How many F1 drivers are recognisable unless it's by petrol heads like us? Not many.
Lewis had brought followers to F1.

But isn't it so typical of the press (and public opinion) these days to build someone up, then when they get there tear them down?

I'm not bothered what he does Monday-Thursday. It's the weekend's that count.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
Long time fan but finally attended my first GP this weekend. Needed to be done seeing as I only live 12 miles down the road.

Pit straight seats right outside LH garage. So many cool pics taken. Sign me up for more!

Reactions: pachyderm

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I've noticed this over this year and last year, people are becoming a lot more pee'd off with Hamilton's off-track behaviour. Perhaps it's because people are scrutinising him more because of his dominance in the last few years I don't know. He's a fantastic driver in line with the likes of Vettel, Alonso, Schumacher etc. but he's turned into a complete and utter pr**k. I think he is the most childish, pathetic, cry-baby F1 driver ever. If things don't go his way he turns into a baby and starts whinging. And all of this new "god bless you" BS. Where the hell did that come from he never used to do that? I've nothing against religion and people's beliefs but this "blessed by god" bs he's started recently is simply stupid. You're not blessed by god, your parents paid out a fortune to get you all the karting you ever wanted and got a big break with McLaren when you were a kid. He acts like he's from the ghetto, not from a middle class British family. If it wasn't for his attitude, I'd probably like him.

I agree about the god stuff and his annoying motivational social media tripe. But I don't think he's the biggest crybaby in the sport. He does tend to shout in the heat of the moment, but these competitive animals tend to do that. Vettel takes some outdoing on the whinging front of late and Rosberg was pretty known for it. I just like the ontrack stuff to be honest and I like Hamiltons far from flawless natural ability. I was a Senna fan back in the day and he was a hell of a moaner lol.

Reactions: JackRoch

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Not so much a hater, more of a *facepalm what are you doing Lewis you could be so much cooler if you were like Ricciardo or something like that
I think Hamilton has a hell of a playboy lifestyle. He just focuses too hard on portraying an image to the public that to me seems too contrived. However I couldn't tell you much about Ricciardo away from a Grand Prix weekend. Like Vettel they just seem very average and normal, something we possibly relate to a bit more being fans. As has been said though, Hamilton and his image is hugely attractive for marketeers. Mercedes, IWC love the focus he brings and for many that is cooler than being a nice average bloke with a good sense of humour.

If I was a team/manufacturer I would want to bring in results on the track with the added bonus of having a driver who is admired by millions of people worldwide and who brings in the marketing dollars.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I've noticed this over this year and last year, people are becoming a lot more pee'd off with Hamilton's off-track behaviour. Perhaps it's because people are scrutinising him more because of his dominance in the last few years I don't know. He's a fantastic driver in line with the likes of Vettel, Alonso, Schumacher etc. but he's turned into a complete and utter pr**k. I think he is the most childish, pathetic, cry-baby F1 driver ever. If things don't go his way he turns into a baby and starts whinging. And all of this new "god bless you" BS. Where the hell did that come from he never used to do that? I've nothing against religion and people's beliefs but this "blessed by god" bs he's started recently is simply stupid. You're not blessed by god, your parents paid out a fortune to get you all the karting you ever wanted and got a big break with McLaren when you were a kid. He acts like he's from the ghetto, not from a middle class British family. If it wasn't for his attitude, I'd probably like him.

i think he is a pratt.

i don't like him as a racer.

pisses and moans way too much. but they all do.

our commentators in the usa, matchett, HOBBS*, and that other english guy, fawn over him and it sickens me to hear them.

what he does outside of a race car is not an issue with me.

as a matter of fact outside the race car he seems to be a decent sort. so i kinda like him as a chap.

him skipping an event, to me, is no big deal.

*you'd think he was related to Hobbs in some way, son, grandson, significant other... :p
[doublepost=1500372870][/doublepost]
Long time fan but finally attended my first GP this weekend. Needed to be done seeing as I only live 12 miles down the road.

Pit straight seats right outside LH garage. So many cool pics taken. Sign me up for more!

get some pics on here. and don't be a lewie fan... :p jk

cbrand493

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2015
Perth, Australia
I agree about the god stuff and his annoying motivational social media tripe. But I don't think he's the biggest crybaby in the sport. He does tend to shout in the heat of the moment, but these competitive animals tend to do that. Vettel takes some outdoing on the whinging front of late and Rosberg was pretty known for it. I just like the ontrack stuff to be honest and I like Hamiltons far from flawless natural ability. I was a Senna fan back in the day and he was a hell of a moaner lol.
Yeah I'm a Vettel fan but recently he's been pissing me off (although he was alright in Silverstone even with the puncture). That Baku move was ridiculous no matter how much I want him to win, and the rants used to be funny but not so much any more. I hate Hamilton's "don't talk to me in the corners" bs he comes away with when he's not winning.
[doublepost=1500379000][/doublepost]
I think Hamilton has a hell of a playboy lifestyle. He just focuses too hard on portraying an image to the public that to me seems too contrived. However I couldn't tell you much about Ricciardo away from a Grand Prix weekend. Like Vettel they just seem very average and normal, something we possibly relate to a bit more being fans. As has been said though, Hamilton and his image is hugely attractive for marketeers. Mercedes, IWC love the focus he brings and for many that is cooler than being a nice average bloke with a good sense of humour.

If I was a team/manufacturer I would want to bring in results on the track with the added bonus of having a driver who is admired by millions of people worldwide and who brings in the marketing dollars.

Remember Monaco (2016?? 2015?) when Justin Bieber was hanging out in his garage *cringe. He wants to be a gangsta rapper in LA yo, but his middle class British upbringing makes him a bit of a joke. He needs to try less and he might actually be more credible! Yeah I was never a fan of Rosberg but when he won the drivers championship and said the first thing he was going to do was fly home to be with his family, respect right there. Raikkonen, Vettel, Rosberg, they all go home to their quite lives with their families, Hamilton goes to LA to hang out with the wrong crowd in LA (aka Kanye West and the Kardashians......)
[doublepost=1500379044][/doublepost]
i think he is a pratt.

i don't like him as a racer.

pisses and moans way too much. but they all do.

our commentators in the usa, matchett, HOBBS*, and that other english guy, fawn over him and it sickens me to hear them.

what he does outside of a race car is not an issue with me.

as a matter of fact outside the race car he seems to be a decent sort. so i kinda like him as a chap.

him skipping an event, to me, is no big deal.

*you'd think he was related to Hobbs in some way, son, grandson, significant other... :p
[doublepost=1500372870][/doublepost]

get some pics on here. and don't be a lewie fan... :p jk

Don't watch the Sky feed then. Brundle has his nose buried in Lewis' ass.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Odd that he's happy to go crowd surfing, yet he was the only driver who refused to do the event in London.
pfft! who cares?

If I was an F1 fan in London, I would.

The man is entitled to enjoy the fruits of his labors, but I think missing London was a mistake. Under Bernie, F1 did it's best to alienate itself from the "common fan" in favor of the more affluent ones. Now under Liberty's management the Sport seems to be really trying to re-connect with those it "left behind" and events like the one in London has been one of the biggest ways for the sport to do that and it's biggest name decided he'd rather party in Greece.

Leigh Diffey is Australian. :p

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Remember Monaco (2016?? 2015?) when Justin Bieber was hanging out in his garage *cringe. He wants to be a gangsta rapper in LA yo, but his middle class British upbringing makes him a bit of a joke. He needs to try less and he might actually be more credible! Yeah I was never a fan of Rosberg but when he won the drivers championship and said the first thing he was going to do was fly home to be with his family, respect right there. Raikkonen, Vettel, Rosberg, they all go home to their quite lives with their families, Hamilton goes to LA to hang out with the wrong crowd in LA (aka Kanye West and the Kardashians......)
The famous people hanging round don't bother me much even if they are ********s like Bieber and Kanye West. The teams love it because it brings massive exposure. They are there because it's cool hanging around with one of the best racing drivers in the world too. I think sometimes Hamilton can appear a bit desperate with the name dropping on social media, but I realised that works both ways too. Hamilton is hugely famous in his own right with immense personal wealth and a jetset lifestyle. He's an attractive marketing tool for them too I suppose.

To me though it's his on track presence that attracted me all those years ago. Watching him overtake 2 cars in Maggots and Becketts in 2006 during the GP2 race made me realise we had a great British driver coming through. I find his aggressive style appealing and have no problem putting him and a few other current champions with the greats of the sport.

I have to correct you on the Middle Class statement though. Hamilton came from a traditional working class background. His families income was low with his father working 80 odd hours a week, sometimes doing 3 jobs to fund his sons karting activities. I'm not even a Middle Class despite having a middle class upbringing and earning over £30k a year. The Middle Class is quite a small group these days and they to my knowledge never extended to modest suburban housing estates in Stevenage. Hamiltons story is unique though. If he was crap, all the money in the world wouldn't have brought him the success he's achieved. McLaren took a punt and it payed off, especially for Mercedes Benz. :)

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I don't get all the love for Louie Hamilton

• He's been in a fairly great car for his entire career
  • He often says he will stop racing soon as there are other things to focus on in life (I agree, but when you're in F1, be in F1)
  • He skips out on fan events to party in Mykonos
  • Tries way too hard to be everything but a race care driver, but yet he is a race car driver
  • Deteriorated relationships with how many teammates now?
  • This list could go on forever
I actually like the side of Hamilton that wants to be different. Just saying, you're cashing in large from fans, give back don't go party. I don't know how you recover from that one. If he truly came from the working class, he would go to an event that the working class go to and not drop a half mill on villas, boats, and party favours for 50 people on the day that fans took off work to go see him. Nothing about those actions make me think "wow, what a great guy".

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I don't get all the love for Louie Hamilton

• He's been in a fairly great car for his entire career
  • He often says he will stop racing soon as there are other things to focus on in life (I agree, but when you're in F1, be in F1)
  • He skips out on fan events to party in Mykonos
  • Tries way too hard to be everything but a race care driver, but yet he is a race car driver
  • Deteriorated relationships with how many teammates now?
  • This list could go on forever
I actually like the side of Hamilton that wants to be different. Just saying, you're cashing in large from fans, give back don't go party. I don't know how you recover from that one. If he truly came from the working class, he would go to an event that the working class go to and not drop a half mill on villas, boats, and party favours for 50 people on the day that fans took off work to go see him. Nothing about those actions make me think "wow, what a great guy".

f*cking arsenal fan to boot.

Reactions: BenTrovato

alwaysbeincontact

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
USA
Its interesting you bring up those points. On the other side he more open and 'Nice' compared to Vettel and Rosberg who do things to hurt themselves in the end. Rosberg runs Hamilton off the road, stops the car at monaco etc. The fans don't appreciate those antics and Rosberg gets booed. Vettel goes nuts if he cant his way. Just last week he runs Max off track and then Max runs him off Track and Vettel gets all agitated and waving fists. Then look at the crash into Lewis. The fans don't appreciate that kind of stuff. I'm not a big fan of F1 anymore, but II really want to see Max race cause I think he's the best driver out there with pure talent. Now that this Halo thing is coming, I think it will hurt the sport.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I think the halo is more in response to the Jules Bianchi incident, which tragic as it was, should have never happened in the first place as there should have been a safety car out.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think the halo is more in response to the Jules Bianchi incident, which tragic as it was, should have never happened in the first place as there should have been a safety car out.
Pretty sure the Halo would have had no affect in that tragedy. F1 car verses tractor is always going to end in tragedy.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
I don't see how the halo could possibly be strong enough to have saved Bianchi. I'm not sure even a full cockpit like an an LMP2/3 car would have made a difference. I also note that if the halo breaks at its mount points and is pushed backwards on impact the front vertical bar starts looking like a blade targeted directly at the driver's head.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Pretty sure the Halo would have had no affect in that tragedy. F1 car verses tractor is always going to end in tragedy.

I agree.. plus not all the drivers even want it. I feel like in an advanced engineering sport like F1, the halo is a terrible attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.