Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It wasn't the driver. Vettel is a better driver than Hamilton. I'm wondering if it was something else.
????
I and a good percentage of the world disagree with that.
I think they are both good. Alonso might be better (in the right car). Max might end up being better (a bit early to say).
But we can probably agree on this one is going to go down to the wire.
Just hope it doesn't end up getting decided on stupid penalties.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Huhh sigh.... well... what can I say? Another mechanical failure for Max.. fantastic diving by Ricardo though to get third!
As for those Force India guys! What the hell.... I mean theirs racing and theirs sheer stupidity! I think the one who drove all the way round the track with no rear tyre should be penalised for doing so! Your supposed to park up immediately!

At least it's still going to the wire with Vettel and Hamilton neither of which are my driver of the day. And Alonso, the oh Alonso, haha I've seen him play dirty before so this is karma! But I think that they've gotta dump Honda who just don't seem interested in it anymore?

And and my message to Lewis, please just stop winging on and on... get over it man, the safety car hardly dented your performance!
[doublepost=1503857594][/doublepost]
????
I think they are both good. Alonso might be better (in the right car). Max might end up being better (a bit early to say).

Actually he's right, it's a team effort, not just the drivers. But as for drivers, hmm I think Lewis has it.

ONLY SEVEN POINTS IN IT!!!!
[doublepost=1503858010][/doublepost]Oh and Kimi FULLY DESERVED his penalty! You do NOT chose to ignore a double yellow!

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Force India drivers should be sat down for a couple of races, maybe the rest of the year.
Perez is to blame imo. Can't believe there was no further action decision by the stewards.

I think it was equally on both - Perez clearly was pinching him, but after the first lap (not to mention Montreal and Baku) it should have been clear to Ocon that Perez was not going to let him by on the inside and he should have backed off rather than stick his nose in there and lose his wing / puncture Perez's tire.

I think it comes down to Perez trying to both keep his #1 driver position in the team against Ocon as well as trying to improve his standing with other teams (Ferrari) with Ocon trying to put his own stamp of authority as the new guy to ensure he gets re-signed and not shuffled out in favor of one of the F2 drivers.

And I agree that no action by the stewards was inexcusable - especially after penalizing Verstappen at Hungary for his incident with Daniel. Perez should have gotten a 5 second time penalty for blocking and Ocon a stop-and-go for dangerous driving.

Good win for Lewis. Vettel was so close, but Lewis was able to deal with the pressure.

Yeah I'm surprised Vettel's only shot was at the re-start as he had been in touch with Lewis on the Ultras at the start and the Softs on the second stint so he should have been able to catch him.

Nice to see Ricardo on the podium as well in a car that really had no place taking third.

Well he was gifted the spot by Kimi's Stop and Go (which was a major brain fade moment).

Shame again for Max. His reliability is likely to see him thinking about different options.

Realistically, I believe he's "stuck" at Red Bull. If Mercedes or Ferrari sign him, it will be with the expectation he becomes the eventual Number One when Lewis/Seb retire, but will he be willing to wait 2-3 years for that to happen (assuming Lewis re-signs beyond 2018)? And going anywhere but Red Bull would be a step down.

Personally, I wonder if the problem is the car or Max's "always attack" driving style abusing the car/engine. Daniel doesn't seem to have anywhere near as many problems in what should be identical machinery and he is a much smoother / less aggressive driver.

Did Alonso have a problem or just decide he had been embarrassed enough?

He asked the team if there was any chance of rain and when they said "no", he immediately reported an "engine power issue". So he clearly just decided he no longer wanted to race (and considering his position, there was nothing to race for). I believe if you retire due to a technical issue that helps alleviate any power unit change penalties so if true, there would have been a tactical side to retiring a working car.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Whilst the competition between Hamilton and Vettel is interesting, and makes a nice change to see it between 2 teams rather than 2 drivers of the same car, the racing continues to be fairly dull.

Other than passes using DRS down the straight at the top of the hill, there can't have been any more than a handful of genuine racing moments. Vettel couldn't even put any pressue on Hamilton after the safety car, other than for a brief moment down that same straight.

Watching cars drive around another because one has an open wing is hardly entertaining.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
I thought Hamilton was done after they went with softs (no supersofts available?) when they knew Vettel had new ultrasofts ready. I'm surprised that Vettel's tire advantage meant nothing at the end. He couldn't even attempt a pass after the first corner. That's a definite weakness in Ferrari's package.

I've noticed that Mercedes goes with the hardest tire a lot even though standard tactics says use the softest tire. They clearly know something the rest of us don't.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
????
You swap Vettel and Hamilton and Rosberg is championship-less. Hamilton is a good driver in a great car. Vettel is a better driver in a slightly lesser car. Hamilton laid an egg last year to a lesser driver.

Last edited:
Reactions: F1Mac

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
You swap Vettel and Hamilton and Rosberg is championship-less. Hamilton is a good driver in a great car. Vettel is a better driver in a slightly lesser car. Hamilton laid an egg last year to a lesser driver.
Well didn't Ricardo outshine Vettel in their last year at RBR together?
We all know Rosberg only won due to reliability with Lewis's car.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
It took almost three hours, but Q1 is complete. :eek:

Also saw Eddie Cue next to FIAT boss Marchione in the Ferrari garage.

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Well that was an amazing Q3. Lewis on pole with his 69th (new record) and once the penalties are taken into account, Stroll in 2nd and Ocon in 3rd. Ferrari were nowhere in the extreme wet so I am guessing they are set-up for the dry.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Had to wait for highlights this evening.
Hamilton once again proves the master.
Record holder now.
Shame about the penalties. Max is great in the wet. Of course assuming his car gets to the end!

Great for Stroll and Ocon. I'm sure Ocon will especially enjoy being nowhere near Perez at the start! I'm sure the team will sleep a bit easier too :D

But come on Ferrari. It's your home race. I'd hate to see them finish 7th and 8th :p

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
If it's dry tomorrow Ferrari will blow by everybody.

Yes they look like they are set-up for a dry race considering they were vaguely competitive on Inters in Q1 and Q2 with a generally-dry track and nowhere on Full Wets in Q3 when the track was inundated.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yes I think there should be plenty of overtaking today with plenty of people out of position.
Should hopefully make for a good race.
Due to be dry, but you never know. RBR and McLaren will be hoping for some rain I'm sure.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
i expect a mess at the first turn...
[doublepost=1504440784][/doublepost]i'm just gonna say it...

IMHO, Ocon is a pretty decent racer...
[doublepost=1504441067][/doublepost]....also

CONGRATS @Apple fanboy the race, and the WDC title, are already decided for Lewie.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Ok, so just started watching it on Sky F1 HD, and Martin Brundle is an utter blithering idiot, he spent so much time on his 'grid walk' moaning to one of the F1 directors how bad engine swap penalties are, basically he was claiming the fans didn't like it because it changed the grid layout and meant the leaders weren't on the front, so he was annoyed we couldn't have yet another bore snooze fest race where it's the same old people at the front... He was really just complaining for himself..

I think if the idiot actually spoke to the fans they would say they love it, it changes it up and means the likes of Mercedes and Ferrari have to actually work for their win..

Anyway because the idiot spent so much time moaning about that, he managed to miss ALL the drivers and didn't speak to any of them!

I would sack him, get someone who isn't so political and thinks of their own opinions to speak to the drivers.

Right moan over, race is about to start and I have not read any comments so no idea who wins..

Reactions: pachyderm
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.