Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
If it's dry tomorrow Ferrari will blow by everybody.

You don't pay much attention ...
[doublepost=1504452541][/doublepost]
Ok, so just started watching it on Sky F1 HD, and Martin Brundle is an utter blithering idiot, he spent so much time on his 'grid walk' moaning to one of the F1 directors how bad engine swap penalties are, basically he was claiming the fans didn't like it because it changed the grid layout and meant the leaders weren't on the front, so he was annoyed we couldn't have yet another bore snooze fest race where it's the same old people at the front... He was really just complaining for himself..

I think if the idiot actually spoke to the fans they would say they love it, it changes it up and means the likes of Mercedes and Ferrari have to actually work for their win..

Anyway because the idiot spent so much time moaning about that, he managed to miss ALL the drivers and didn't speak to any of them!

I would sack him, get someone who isn't so political and thinks of their own opinions to speak to the drivers.

Right moan over, race is about to start and I have not read any comments so no idea who wins..

I can't stand him since he bashed Alonso.

Reactions: apolloa

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Wow! Boring Lewis, but fantastic Botas defending against Kimi fantastic defending.. Strol and Williams are going to be ones to watch if they can get a faster engine.. they I think are one of the few mid fielders to get a podium this year.. Sauber are utterly bringing it too with that Ferrari engine..

Ferrari this weekend got creamed basically.. I didn't see the qualifying but as I understand they utterly lost it in the wet, unfortunately for Ferrari Lewis a a wet driving God! More or less..

Oh man these mid fielders just need a bit more power and they can challenge third place!

Drivers of the day, Botas for his awesome defending moves and Ricardo for coming from 15 to 4th..

I want to see next year a battle between Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull, Sauber and Williams ALL for the front spots and wins.
However... if McLaren can get a good Renault engine.. they could definitely be up there, the team has the talent as does Alonso..
[doublepost=1504459829][/doublepost]Just watched the interview with Strol for Williams and they have Mercedes engines! They are getting an upgrade before the next race. I want to see Williams up there able to challenge Red Bull and the others, such a long standing team.

Sigh still doesn't match the days of Senna and McLaren for me...

Last edited:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yeah the Ferrari's were really nowhere - especially Kimi. Mercedes don't do so well in Singapore so maybe we'll see something in two weeks, but I think this is when the season changes direction and Lewis goes on to his 4th WDC.

Considering how horrible the Honda engine is, I am surprised Toro Rosso is considering taking it to allow McLaren to get Renault power. Seems counter-productive to me since TR would immediately become a back-marker just based on the projected component failure rate (DNFs and Grid Penalties) whereas they at least are mildly competitive now (if they can get a decent driver to replace Kvyat that would help).

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Yeah the Ferrari's were really nowhere - especially Kimi. Mercedes don't do so well in Singapore so maybe we'll see something in two weeks, but I think this is when the season changes direction and Lewis goes on to his 4th WDC.

Considering how horrible the Honda engine is, I am surprised Toro Rosso is considering taking it to allow McLaren to get Renault power. Seems counter-productive to me since TR would immediately become a back-marker just based on the projected component failure rate (DNFs and Grid Penalties) whereas they at least are mildly competitive now (if they can get a decent driver to replace Kvyat that would help).

Follow the money.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Had to wait for the highlights. Wasn't too many.
RBR would have been on the podium for sure without the penalties. I wonder if they can mix it up with the Mercs and Ferraris in Singapore. Hope so.
I think Palmer is off Alonso's Christmas card list!
I'd have liked to have seen Stroll or Ocon on the podium though.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Follow the money.

But as the Red Bull junior team, one would think they shouldn't need the money. I know they lost a lucrative sponsorship with Cepsa in 2015, but Dietrich Mateschitz / Red Bull is not exactly hurting for cash to fund them.

I can understand Sauber's original interest as they're just hanging on at the time and getting a free engine (plus other sponsorship considerations) could have been a life-saver for them. But Toro Rosso has been 7th in the WCC the past few years and is currently in 6th. Swapping to Honda could put them at the back now that Sauber could be getting current-spec Ferrari engines next year and McLaren becoming far more competitive with Renault power.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
But as the Red Bull junior team, one would think they shouldn't need the money. I know they lost a lucrative sponsorship with Cepsa in 2015, but Dietrich Mateschitz / Red Bull is not exactly hurting for cash to fund them.

I can understand Sauber's original interest as they're just hanging on at the time and getting a free engine (plus other sponsorship considerations) could have been a life-saver for them. But Toro Rosso has been 7th in the WCC the past few years and is currently in 6th. Swapping to Honda could put them at the back now that Sauber could be getting current-spec Ferrari engines next year.
The Honda engines come with about £100 million sponsorship. And let's be honest, they are going to get it right at some point (or pull out)!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
TR might see it as a worthwhile exercise. If Honda do become a decent package, they would easily be able to switch the RBR team to that package. With Renault out classed by Mercedes and Ferrari engines, it could be a gamble RBR might be prepared to take with TR.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
TR might see it as a worthwhile exercise. If Honda do become a decent package, they would easily be able to switch the RBR team to that package. With Renault out classed by Mercedes and Ferrari engines, it could be a gamble RBR might be prepared to take with TR.

What spec of Renault engine is TR running? The same as the factory team or the "tweaked" units that RBR is running under the Tag Heuer brand?

And would Honda be interested in working with RBR's engine guys to improve performance reliability?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
What spec of Renault engine is TR running? The same as the factory team or the "tweaked" units that RBR is running under the Tag Heuer brand?

And would Honda be interested in working with RBR's engine guys to improve performance reliability?
Honda wouldn't want to work with RBR engine guys (Renault). But if Honda became competitive, it would suit RBR as they have been looking for a competitive engine for a while. A RBR with a Mercedes team would most likely beat the factory team. They no that which is why they won't supply them.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Honda wouldn't want to work with RBR engine guys (Renault). But if Honda became competitive, it would suit RBR as they have been looking for a competitive engine for a while. A RBR with a Mercedes team would most likely beat the factory team. They no that which is why they won't supply them.

strong statement... why can't they get the renault to win?

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
You don't pay much attention ...
I made that prediction under the assumption that Ferrari's lack of qualifying pace was because Mercedes was gambling on a wet-optimized setup and Ferrari wasn't, and that gamble is usually a horrid failure on a high-speed track like Monza if it's dry on race day. The prediction turned out to be wrong, at Monza Ferrari appeared to be much slower in all conditions than Mercedes, which I had not expected due to their competitiveness in earlier races.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
So who won?

uGKGmqM.png

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Given the circuit and conditions, the race was unlikely to be won at the first corner, and the racing line was the other way.

A decision I think he'll live to regret.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Vettel fully deserves to have a race ban for what he's done, every single person or commentator has stated he had NO reason to pull over like that and take everyone out, and then to reverse up the track spitting fluids everywhere is just downright dangerous and totally careless and wreck less. That could of taken others out alone!
I do not like him. More fool him though as his chance of winning this year is even further away now.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Given the circuit and conditions, the race was unlikely to be won at the first corner, and the racing line was the other way.

And yet that is what happened. :)

Vettel really had to do a hero lap to take pole from the RBRs in the dry and I would not at all surprised that with the rain he felt that if Max got ahead of him he would stay ahead of him.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Well no action is to be taken against the Ferrari driver for taking everyone out...

If the crash was caused by Max, going by the history this year of penalties I feel confident in saying they would of punished him. Vettel however apparently already has several points on his racing license and once you reach 12 I think, you get a racing ban.

Oh well he has pointlessly further removed himself from winning this year, idiot, commentators said Kimi would now need to take points of Lewis for Vettel to have a chance, and considering he's no where near as fast as Lewis, unless he rams him off the track, I can't see that happening.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Some crazy driving from Vettel at the start and he apologised pretty quickly on the radio. Ferrari must have discussed the incident with him when he got back though before we heard the truly bizarre accusation levelled at Max.

I've watched the incident a few times now and I'm with just about everybody on the planet apart from Ferrari when I say I can't see a single element that suggests Verstappen did anything wrong? Vettel has quite a history chopping across people and he often comes off worse yet every so often he does it. He did it to his teammate in turkey and crashed out. He did it to Hamilton at Silverstone in copse and had his rear tyre slashed pitting him to the back of he field. He did it to Alonso at Monza and had a very bumpy high speed run across he dirt. I think it's about time the lad learned from this.

Anyway, an interesting race with a lucky but welcome outcome for Hamilton. Hopefully this will drive Vettel to try harder and we end up with a proper championship showdown!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.