Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
For me, in the midwest US, the race started at 2.00 am. Not very convenient. Which seems rather unreasonable of me to be complaining about the several billion of my fellow humans who live in Asia. But there you have it.

Mixed feelings about the results. The race didn't turn out to be terribly exciting. Vettel made a noble charge through the field, but ran out of something a few laps from the end. Hamilton never really seemed that interested in chasing after Verstappen. Was that because he couldn't? Or because he would rather take the security of second place points, rather than risk his tires, his engine, and a possible crash by chasing Verstappen down?

That said, it's much better that we have at least three teams that can win a race. A vast improvement on the situation a couple of years ago. The only problem seems to be that these three potential winners never seem to all show up on the same day at the same track.

Still love Formula One. But I see an early afternoon nap to make up for the sleep I missed last night/

Race was live at 0300 EST. I didn't bother. Kind of glad I slept in. After all the bad luck Max has had, nice to see him win. Sounds like the same old race stuff though. Leader runs away and from there it's follow the leader. Sounds like Lewis wasn't interested in racing if he wasn't in the lead.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Great to see Max win, I think the calendar will be poorer for not having Sepang going forward.

The Circuit organizer's were meeting with Liberty Media over the weekend about a possible extension so it may not yet be over.

Another amusing incident involving chopper again after the race.

Yeah, that one was purely on Seb IMO. Just not paying attention.

Hamilton never really seemed that interested in chasing after Verstappen. Was that because he couldn't? Or because he would rather take the security of second place points, rather than risk his tires, his engine, and a possible crash by chasing Verstappen down?

He was complaining early on about the discharge rate of his MGU-K so I am guessing he just couldn't effectively employ it for holding Verstappen off and then catching him up.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Yyyyeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Mmmmaaaaaaxxxxxxxx!!!!!

At long last he wins a race! And very comfortably too, these new Mercedes and Ferrari power plants are’nt very good it seems..

Vettel’s incident at the end was more Strolls fault when looked from behind, but Karma and all that.

Yeah after Ferrari’s dismal attempts to turn F1 into a demolition derby event at the last race and then blame Max for it all, they got what they deserved today.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Perfectly summed up! Whilst it's definantly an improvement over wondering which of the Mercedes might finish in 2nd place, we're still not seeing any genuine on track motor racing. Baring rain and safety cars, it's pretty much decided in qualifying and the first lap, with most of the overtaking in the race through DRS.

Better than 2015-16, but only just!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
For me, in the midwest US, the race started at 2.00 am. Not very convenient. Which seems rather unreasonable of me to be complaining about the several billion of my fellow humans who live in Asia. But there you have it.

Mixed feelings about the results. The race didn't turn out to be terribly exciting. Vettel made a noble charge through the field, but ran out of something a few laps from the end. Hamilton never really seemed that interested in chasing after Verstappen. Was that because he couldn't? Or because he would rather take the security of second place points, rather than risk his tires, his engine, and a possible crash by chasing Verstappen down?

That said, it's much better that we have at least three teams that can win a race. A vast improvement on the situation a couple of years ago. The only problem seems to be that these three potential winners never seem to all show up on the same day at the same track.

Still love Formula One. But I see an early afternoon nap to make up for the sleep I missed last night/
Ran out of rubber.

Sorry to see the track go tbh. It's one where at least passing is possible.

Reactions: apolloa

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

Agreed on the ugly start time.

I'm glad they are not going back there.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
So I’ll be getting my bag of pistachio nuts and my 4 pack of larger for the race.. I find these help with the disappointment or celebration of Max hahahaha...
Just a weekend wind down treat for me really.

I se Hamilton is considering taking a knee during the national anthem at the American Grand Prix..... :confused:

Not sure it needs any more politics in the sport! But his choice I guess.

Still let’s see if he gets on the podium, and if Ferrari stuff it up again. I can’t even remember the last time a Ferrari was taken off the grid before the start permanently because of a fault?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
A Lewis win and anything other than 2nd for Vettel and I think it's pretty much done for the year.
However with new engine parts for the Ferrari's and the resurgence of RBR, means it's anything other than straightforward.
Rain is a strong possibility to.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Rain will suit Lewis, Max and Alonso.

Yup (based on their general skill in the wet).

As for FP2, only Lewis went out, along with the two Force India and Williams drivers and they were all back in. Everyone else did at best an Installation Lap and came right back into the garage. On the flip side, those five only did 3-4 laps so not like they learned anything if FP3 is dry and the race is wet.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
A Lewis win and anything other than 2nd for Vettel and I think it's pretty much done for the year.
However with new engine parts for the Ferrari's and the resurgence of RBR, means it's anything other than straightforward.
Rain is a strong possibility to.

It's been over for a while now...

Rain in Texas is different from rain anywhere else...

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Ok, no offense, but one of you said you were going to US GP and that made me think they were racing here in the states. So whomever that was I'm a little miffed at you right now. I didn't watch qualifying early this morning because I thought it would be on later... dammit.
[doublepost=1507379228][/doublepost]Wait, it was you... :mad:

I’ll be in Austin this year! Cheering hard for Vettel this weekend and a Hamilton DNF so we can have an exciting finish.

Reactions: BenTrovato
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.