Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Looks like a racing incident to me with nobody to blame and nobody worthy of sanction. Max was sandwiched between both Ferraris and I do not expect Vettel could see Kimi roaring up the far side of Max between his position, Max's car and all the spray.

Reactions: pachyderm

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
vettel? how is he to blame? racing incident between max and kimi and really max might be to blame.
Moving left leaving max with nowhere to go other than to hit Kimi and the concertina effect that followed in regards to all three of them crashing out. Verstappen was traveling in a straight line apart from the evasive action he had to take as Vettels side pod cut across his right front wheel. Seb was 100% at fault and thankfully paid the price for his cock up.

It's done though and he's given himself plenty of work to do in the remaining races.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Moving left leaving max with nowhere to go other than to hit Kimi and the concertina effect that followed in regards to all three of them crashing out. Verstappen was traveling in a straight line apart from the evasive action he had to take as Vettels side pod cut across his right front wheel. Seb was 100% at fault and thankfully paid the price for his cock up.

It's done though and he's given himself plenty of work to do in the remaining races.
Agree. The penalty was no points for him or his teammate.
Felt sorry for Max who is a demon in the wet. I felt the win would have been on for him.

As for Lewis (who is also no slouch in the wet either), he must have had such a big grin on his face. Three potential challengers for the win taken out.
Started the day looking at damage limitation. Ended it with a nice points buffer.
Still think there will be twists and turns to come. Engines and gearbox penalties will play there part at the end of the season for sure.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Well there will still be a twist or turn. But yes I agree with you he is the best driver ;)

But you clearly don't agree... I never said he is the best driver. ;)

He is a very good, clearly one of best, driver. He also has the best car and does what a good/great driver would do. I still don't rate him as the best in F1 today. His is among them though. ;)

P.S. Good luck vs West Brom...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
But you clearly don't agree... I never said he is the best driver. ;)

He is a very good, clearly one of best, driver. He also has the best car and does what a good/great driver would do. I still don't rate him as the best in F1 today. His is among them though. ;)

P.S. Good luck vs West Brom...
I've never been so insulted! I'm a Hammer not a Gooner.
Currently not doing very well against Spurs :(

Back on topic. It's very hard to say who the best driver is at any given time, as there is not only the car to consider but the service within the team.

So yes I'd agree Lewis is one of the best. Because he has consistently been there or there about for years. Agree his car is very good (although clearly the Mercedes advantage is much narrower this year).

Alonso is another great. But ultimately his best years are behind him.
Max should certainly do well over his career but still hasn't delivered (to quantify that I know he is not in the best car, but he doesn't dominate his team mate in qualifying and racing week in week out like great drivers do).
Ricardo is under ratted IMO. I think he is a great driver but ultimately maybe just to much of a nice guy to be a champion (a bit like Webber before him).

Then we have Vettel. He is a good driver, no doubt. But to me he only one when in the best car. He got all the support of the team behind him then at RBR. Even more blatant at Ferrari (although they have always very clearly had a number 1 and number 2 driver).

But which of them is best? Hard to know for sure.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I've never been so insulted! I'm a Hammer not a Gooner.
Currently not doing very well against Spurs :(

Back on topic. It's very hard to say who the best driver is at any given time, as there is not only the car to consider but the service within the team.

So yes I'd agree Lewis is one of the best. Because he has consistently been there or there about for years. Agree his car is very good (although clearly the Mercedes advantage is much narrower this year).

Alonso is another great. But ultimately his best years are behind him.
Max should certainly do well over his career but still hasn't delivered (to quantify that I know he is not in the best car, but he doesn't dominate his team mate in qualifying and racing week in week out like great drivers do).
Ricardo is under ratted IMO. I think he is a great driver but ultimately maybe just to much of a nice guy to be a champion (a bit like Webber before him).

Then we have Vettel. He is a good driver, no doubt. But to me he only one when in the best car. He got all the support of the team behind him then at RBR. Even more blatant at Ferrari (although they have always very clearly had a number 1 and number 2 driver).

But which of them is best? Hard to know for sure.

ha! I knew you rooted for someone else that I hated. :p

I love Chich!

Agreed on your driver comments. Mostly...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Last ever qualifying for the Malaysia Grand Prix just kicked off.
Vettel didn't have the best preparation as they are currently finishing off his engine replacement after FP3. At least he won't have any penalties as it's all used parts.
I still think reliability will influence the championship a few times yet before the end.

Ferrari had looked strong as had RBR. So could be a fun weekend. Especially if we get a bit of rain.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Lewis on pole. Vettel at the back. After practice, not what I'd have predicted.
DYiAhsr.png

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Apart from the Vettel position, the other big surprise was Alonso (with an upgrade package) was slower than his teammate.

Definitely surprised he was slower than Vandoorne but McLaren going 7th and 10th is much higher than I would have predicted. Only one second off the Renault powered RedBulls. Did Honda make a mistake for next year? :eek:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Definitely surprised he was slower than Vandoorne but McLaren going 7th and 10th is much higher than I would have predicted. Only one second off the Renault powered RedBulls. Did Honda make a mistake for next year? :eek:
Honda or McLaren? I think it was their decision rather than Honda's.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Vettel will be in the points thanks to starting on fresh SuperSofts compared to used on the first ten, but I do not think he will make the podium. Looking more and more Lewis will cruise to his Fourth WDC.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Vettel will be in the points thanks to starting on fresh SuperSofts compared to used on the first ten, but I do not think he will make the podium. Looking more and more Lewis will cruise to his Fourth WDC.
Chance of rain could mix it up. Especially a wet/dry race.
Then it's just about being on the right tyres at the right time.
Whereas I agree it looks good for Lewis, I'd not say he was cruising to the title. One DNF and he will be second again.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Chance of rain could mix it up. Especially a wet/dry race.

Pretty much that is the only way I see Vettel being on the podium. Trick is, the race would have to start dry so he can maximize his advantage on the fresh SuperSofts then go wet so the Compound Change rule is tossed out so when it goes dry again, he could stay on fresh SuperSofts the entire time (as he has a full set, having never run on any in Qualifying).

If this was Magny-Cours, I would say pull a Schumacher 2004 and go for a four-stopper on three sets of fresh SuperSofts and one Soft, but for Sepang the Pit Delta is 24-25 seconds so I don't think that would work (Sepang is usually 2 or 3 stops in the dry).

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Pretty much that is the only way I see Vettel being on the podium. Trick is, the race would have to start dry so he can maximize his advantage on the fresh SuperSofts then go wet so the Compound Change rule is tossed out so when it goes dry again, he could stay on fresh SuperSofts the entire time (as he has a full set, having never run on any in Qualifying).

If this was Magny-Cours, I would say pull a Schumacher 2004 and go for a four-stopper on three sets of fresh SuperSofts and one Soft, but for Sepang the Pit Delta is 24-25 seconds so I don't think that would work (Sepang is usually 2 or 3 stops in the dry).

Good points. It’s not a quick pit lane over here. Definitely hope the race starts dry and hot and then rain to come right shortly after the front runners make their first stop.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Interesting race!
Kimi didn't even make the start. Come on Ferrari, this isn't good enough.
Max passes Lewis then drives off to victory.
Vettel starts at the back and was in the points in the first few laps.
If the Ferraris had started at the front, fairly sure it would have been a dull 1-2.

Prediction for Vettel was 5th. He actually made 4th. But then Kimi didn't start, so basically what the prediction was.
If Alonso had been a little more generous when he was being lapped he might have caught Ricardo.

But the strangest thing was Vettels accident after the chequered flag. Might cost him a gear box penalty to.

But despite not winning, Lewis is the big winner of the day. His lead has been stretched despite not having the outright pace over Ferrari. Even a DNF will see him maintain the lead.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Interesting result. Top 10, Not sure who has, or hasn't, seen the race yet....

Y2LFZHu.png
[doublepost=1506855622][/doublepost]And the WDC points:

9ZdseXB.png
0Wker9G.png

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Great to see Max win, I think the calendar will be poorer for not having Sepang going forward.

Another amusing incident involving chopper again after the race. Bizarre in the extreme and unsurprisingly he didn’t think it was his fault yet again lol. He’s reliving the early part of 2007 all over again. He drove well otherwise though. Get it together Seb, let’s have a thrilling title decider please!!

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
For me, in the midwest US, the race started at 2.00 am. Not very convenient. Which seems rather unreasonable of me to be complaining about the several billion of my fellow humans who live in Asia. But there you have it.

Mixed feelings about the results. The race didn't turn out to be terribly exciting. Vettel made a noble charge through the field, but ran out of something a few laps from the end. Hamilton never really seemed that interested in chasing after Verstappen. Was that because he couldn't? Or because he would rather take the security of second place points, rather than risk his tires, his engine, and a possible crash by chasing Verstappen down?

That said, it's much better that we have at least three teams that can win a race. A vast improvement on the situation a couple of years ago. The only problem seems to be that these three potential winners never seem to all show up on the same day at the same track.

Still love Formula One. But I see an early afternoon nap to make up for the sleep I missed last night/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.