Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
It really doesn't say much when the highlight of the race was a crash going into the first corner :(

Whilst the season is looking slightly more interesting given it's a 2 horse race, the lack of any genuine on track racing and the loss of terrestrial broadcasting next season might just make this one my last for some time.

Having watched F1 from the early 80's as a small boy, it will be sad to say goodbye, but unless the sport makes some really major changes I think I'll be better off out than in.

Reactions: pachyderm

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It really doesn't say much when the highlight of the race was a crash going into the first corner :(

Whilst the season is looking slightly more interesting given it's a 2 horse race, the lack of any genuine on track racing and the loss of terrestrial broadcasting next season might just make this one my last for some time.

Having watched F1 from the early 80's as a small boy, it will be sad to say goodbye, but unless the sport makes some really major changes I think I'll be better off out than in.
I know what you mean. I was under the impression there will be highlights on terrestrial tv next year?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/f1br...to-continue-airing-formula-1-beyond-2018/amp/

The simplified front wing should help with the following and overtaking.
However one of the biggest issues for me is the tracks. Many seem to have been designed void of overtaking opportunities.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
I think there were a few things that caused problems. The long DRS made overtaking very easy, so all the cars ended up in pretty much speed order. All teams were on the same strategy (soft-super soft or super soft-soft) so there was no tactical manoeuvring. The lack of Kimi or Valteri to affect strategy at the front also played a part.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I think there were a few things that caused problems. The long DRS made overtaking very easy, so all the cars ended up in pretty much speed order. All teams were on the same strategy (soft-super soft or super soft-soft) so there was no tactical manoeuvring. The lack of Kimi or Valteri to affect strategy at the front also played a part.

All good points. It just comes down to the inequality in cars. There has always been inequality but with unreliability that made it exciting. Now the closest thing to that is when Bottas starts at the back due to an engine penalty or someone suffers a puncture and has to fight (easily overtake 15 cars) through the field.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Could not agree more. Too many DRS Zones. Should be 2 max at each track. :apple:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Nice explanation on Ferrari, and debunking Lewis the Whiner's "Trickery" hogwash. Interesting points on the "Fuel Blend" used by Ferrari. Color me ignorant. I always thought the fuel was standardized across teams? Guess not. :apple:

Last edited:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Nice explanation on Ferrari, and debunking Lewis the Whiner's "Trickery" hogwash. Interesting points on the "Fuel Blend" used by Ferrari. Color me ignorant. I always thought the fuel was standardized across teams? Guess not. :apple:

Bit tricky to call Lewis a whiner when both Peter Windsor and Craig Scarborough are saying he’s been taken out of context. :D The Ferrari is probably the faster car but it’s difficult to confirm as the Mercedes appears quicker in wet weather.

Fuel is not standardised as the oil companies sponsor the teams, so therefore they like to say their fuel is better than their rivals. Ferrari have been fortunate in that Shell appear to make more of a difference than their rivals historically have.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Bit tricky to call Lewis a whiner when both Peter Windsor and Craig Scarborough are saying he’s been taken out of context. :D The Ferrari is probably the faster car but it’s difficult to confirm as the Mercedes appears quicker in wet weather.

Fuel is not standardised as the oil companies sponsor the teams, so therefore they like to say their fuel is better than their rivals. Ferrari have been fortunate in that Shell appear to make more of a difference than their rivals historically have.
I think it's Lewis that makes the Merc quicker in the wet. He's just better at judging grip in those circumstances than Vettel.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Then Lewis should state: " They are doing something in their setup that we can't find." To say what he did just takes him back to a 2017 Max. I'm actually surprised he came back for the grid post interview with Martin "Bumble." He stormed off while Max waited patiently, then popped back out of no where. Irritated in having to participate he used the word "Trickery." Just Lewis being Lewis. As was the bottom rubbing while the camera was on him. I was just sitting there saying, "really Lewis?" I've never cared for him and never will. Nor do I care for Mercedes. Ferrari has it's Mojo back, and I'm far more into who wins the WCC than the WDC. ;)
[doublepost=1535493269][/doublepost]
I think it's Lewis that makes the Merc quicker in the wet. He's just better at judging grip in those circumstances than Vettel.

Agreed. Lewis is significantly better in the wet. :apple:

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Deleted
[doublepost=1535640683][/doublepost]
upload_2018-8-30_10-51-12.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-30_10-50-19.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-30_10-50-19.jpeg
    779.7 KB · Views: 116

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Looked pretty bad, the way the car dug in & started flipping. He seemed fined walking away but that must have been a heavy one.

Yea. That's what I was trying to understand with a DRS failure? The rear just "Dug In" as you say. Odd.

Great job by the Prancing Horse again today. Must be the "Secret Fuel." Lewis was somewhat close. Bottas pretty far back. Will it rain? ;)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yea. That's what I was trying to understand with a DRS failure? The rear just "Dug In" as you say. Odd.

Great job by the Prancing Horse again today. Must be the "Secret Fuel." Lewis was somewhat close. Bottas pretty far back. Will it rain? ;)
Ideally a wet and dry race for entertainment. If its a dry race I have bad news for the Ferrari fans....

You won't see them on TV as they will be off down the road!

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
so...

VET
HAM
BOT
RAI
ETC
ETC
ETC
ETC ?

All depends on the weather Sunday. That's what it's come down to the second half. I've been watching some F2 races. Some exciting racing. I've tried Formula E a couple of times but my god, it's a struggle to get through 2 laps.
I admit F1 can be boring these days. I just love cheering Maranello. I mainly focus on IMSA here in the US, and the WRCC when I can get it on the television. Even IMSA in the P series can be tainted by the big money teams. GTLM and GTD are still very racy. Having multiple classes on track at once also adds a different dynamic to the race. The Ferrari Challenge series is also quite racy. I attend the Sahlen's 6 hr Race and the Ferrari Challenge at Watkins Glen every year.

Laguna Seca is always a fun race. It's next weekend. If Monza turns out to be another snoozer you can always turn IMSA on. :apple:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.