Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well done Kimi. Surprised he got the tow from Vettel though. I'd have thought they'd have done it the other way around.

Hopefully we get a bit of rain to bring Lewis and Max into it. Otherwise the two Ferrari's will just drive off and it will be a big dull.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Well done Kimi. Surprised he got the tow from Vettel though. I'd have thought they'd have done it the other way around.

Hopefully we get a bit of rain to bring Lewis and Max into it. Otherwise the two Ferrari's will just drive off and it will be a big dull.

KIMI! Man I hope he gets the win.

And they all 3 broke that record in a 1,2,3 order.

Reactions: Glideslope

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Great race, much better than Belgium due to the close racing. Amazing drive by Lewis (with help from Valteri). Not sure what Max was doing at the end or in the collision; seemed like his old habits rearing their head.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Great racing today. Congratulations to Mercedes on a superbly executed strategy win.

Driver of the Day to a deserving Kimi. Across the line with no tires left. He deserves another year for a P2 out of the hole Ferrari put him in.

Unfortunate to see Max decopensate into the old “I don’t give a ****” attitude. Thought he might make it all the way to the end.

Mercedes hopefully takes Bottas out of the circuit in a vehicle with Blacked Out Windows. ;)

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Boo booooooo Lewis won haha!

So we had dodgems from Lewis, or was it Seb????

And I WAS going to say great drive by Max, yeah until he just rammed the competition, still I must say that incident resulted in some of the best racing I’ve seen from Max all season! Because he REALLY defended against Botas after!

Shame about Lewis’s ramming resulting in the trap to push Kimi into second, I also bet Ferrari don’t go and claim Mercedes cheated...

But a GREAT race today! Sooo much better then last weekend.if Kimis tyres held out he would have won easily, Mercedes do NOT have the pace to match Ferrari I think.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Boo booooooo Lewis won haha!

So we had dodgems from Lewis, or was it Seb????

And I WAS going to say great drive by Max, yeah until he just rammed the competition, still I must say that incident resulted in some of the best racing I’ve seen from Max all season! Because he REALLY defended against Botas after!

Shame about Lewis’s ramming resulting in the trap to push Kimi into second, I also bet Ferrari don’t go and claim Mercedes cheated...

But a GREAT race today! Sooo much better then last weekend.if Kimis tyres held out he would have won easily, Mercedes do NOT have the pace to match Ferrari I think.
100% Vettel was in the wrong with that crash. Lewis was in front and gave him space.

But this week was a million times better than Spa. Enjoyed seeing all the twists and turns.
I thought Mercedes had blown it not bringing Lewis in under the yellow flags.
Bottas helped Lewis for sure. Couldn't see Nico doing that!

Glad we didn't see Kimi drive off into the lead only to be told to let Vettel through which is what I'd imagined today would have delivered.

What can I say about Max? Silly boy. He was in the wrong and then gives the Stewards a long series of bleeps. Wouldn't be surprised to hear he gets another wrist slap.

Shame for the Italian crowd who thought it was their year.
But I suppose it's following a theme. No home British or German win either in 2018.
Ferrari seemed much heavier on tyres than Mercedes. Must be a result of downforce decisions.

Reactions: pachyderm

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
100% Vettel was in the wrong with that crash. Lewis was in front and gave him space.

But this week was a million times better than Spa. Enjoyed seeing all the twists and turns.

Glad we didn't see Kimi drive off into the lead only to be told to let Vettel through which is what I'd imagined today would have delivered.

What can I say about Max? Silly boy. He was in the wrong and then gives the Stewards a long series of bleeps. Wouldn't be surprised to hear he gets another wrist slap.

But I suppose it's following a theme. No home British or German win either in 2018.
Ferrari seemed much heavier on tyres than Mercedes. Must be a result of downforce decisions.

Max gave his engineer a load of swearing? He was the one who told him. I don’t think the stewards are allowed to talk to the drivers? Only the engineer can.
And IMO it was half Lewis’s fault. But he got away with it..

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Max gave his engineer a load of swearing? He was the one who told him. I don’t think the stewards are allowed to talk to the drivers? Only the engineer can.
And IMO it was half Lewis’s fault. But he got away with it..
No one else saw it as half Lewis fault. But I'm glad neither driver had a DNF or penalty.
I heard Max swearing about the penalty and saying what a stupid decision it was. I think he needs to grow up. His battle with Bottas after the penalty cost him fourth as well. His comments 'I don't care'.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
No one else saw it as half Lewis fault. But I'm glad neither driver had a DNF or penalty.
I heard Max swearing about the penalty and saying what a stupid decision it was. I think he needs to grow up. His battle with Bottas after the penalty cost him fourth as well. His comments 'I don't care'.

Yes he swore but you said at the stewards, that is wrong as it was his engineer who told him.
And it’s no worst then the way Hamilton behaves sometimes.. they both need to grow up sometimes. IMO. He defended brilliantly after though, shame he didn’t just do only that rather then ramming Bottas.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Having seen hundreds of overtakes at the 2nd Variante at Monza over the past 30 years, I think Hamilton took the perfect line. He was on the outside but on the outside edge of the track ready for the inside of the apex, Vettel simply didn’t allow enough room or went too deep whilst alongside. It’s a simple racing incident but I think drivers need to take more caution if they don’t want their championships slipping away.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Having seen hundreds of overtakes at the 2nd Variante at Monza over the past 30 years, I think Hamilton took the perfect line. He was on the outside but on the outside edge of the track ready for the inside of the apex, Vettel simply didn’t allow enough room or went too deep whilst alongside. It’s a simple racing incident but I think drivers need to take more caution if they don’t want their championships slipping away.
Agreed.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Yea. Ferrari’s tire wear was a huge contributor. Definitely running more downforce than Mercedes. Could have been far different for Kimi at the end if he could have stayed out on the Supers longer. If he had not had to push those laps waiting for Lewis he might not have had 4 blistered clumps of rubber with 8 laps left. :apple:

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Well Vandoorne to be replaced by Lando Norris and looks like Kvyat to Torro Rosso. Ocon must be worried as Williams looks like his only option of Stroll and Perez are confirmed at Force India as expected.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I agree that Vettel was at fault. I've lost a bit of respect for Seb this year. It seemed like he was hell bent on passing Kimi in the first few corners instead of sandwiching the Mercedes and using strategy to get maximum points for the championship. Instead it was Mercedes who fiddled Ferrari like a rag doll and then did the 1-2 formation lap around Monza. Whoever is running Ferrari's strategy was seriously outclassed not only yesterday but many times this season.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well Vandoorne to be replaced by Lando Norris and looks like Kvyat to Torro Rosso. Ocon must be worried as Williams looks like his only option of Stroll and Perez are confirmed at Force India as expected.
Well done Lando. Although every time I hear his name, I can't help but think of this guy!
IMG_3990.JPG

Reactions: apolloa

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Never been a huge racing fan, but after listening to Brady talk about F1 on the latest episode of Hello Internet, I thought I'd give it a watch. Fortunately, the Belgium race was on YouTube, so I watched that on Saturday, and then watch Monza on Sunday morning. Have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to watching the next race.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Never been a huge racing fan, but after listening to Brady talk about F1 on the latest episode of Hello Internet, I thought I'd give it a watch. Fortunately, the Belgium race was on YouTube, so I watched that on Saturday, and then watch Monza on Sunday morning. Have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to watching the next race.
Some races are better than others. But I've been watching for 30+ years.

Reactions: pachyderm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.