Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Kimi leaving Ferrari and moving to Sauber for the next two seasons.

https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/09/11/raikkonen-to-quit-ferrari-at-the-end-of-2018/
https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/09/11/raikkonen-to-join-sauber/

I didn't see that coming! :eek:
[doublepost=1536655932][/doublepost]Leclerc confirmed at Ferrari for 2019.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-announces-leclerc-replacing-raikkonen/3174725/

Back where he started if I remember correctly? Thought he might retire and follow Alonso into a sport where he might win something. Strange unless it’s for money.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Could be a way to move Sauber up in the Constructor's Championship in 2019 and 2020 to bolster their finances to better position them for the 2021 rules change, which will be expensive.

We know Sergio wanted to let Kimi go and hire LeClerc and after he passed, there was speculation Kimi would now stay. I wonder if the decision had been made to hire LeClerc earlier in the season and a contract to that effect signed, but Kimi's improved performance was enough to trigger some sort of "renewal clause" that would have precluded LeClerc coming in 2019 without Ferrari buying out his contract. If this was the case, Ferrari effectively swapping him for LeClerc and perhaps adding a second year (at a similar salary to 2019) could have been how they worked it out.

I would agree with the majority of this argument. :apple:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Back where he started if I remember correctly? Thought he might retire and follow Alonso into a sport where he might win something. Strange unless it’s for money.
Can't imagine he's short of a few quid!

I was surprised he didn't just retire as well though! Maybe he wants to be a number 1 driver again!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Can't imagine he's short of a few quid!

I was surprised he didn't just retire as well though! Maybe he wants to be a number 1 driver again!
Oh he’s not short of a few quid. When David Robertson was his manager he negotiated a Ferrari contract in 2006 that was close to $50m a season. They paid him that again in 2010 not to go to another team and spend a year rallying whilst he got paid for that too!

This is why it’s puzzling? Two years picking up 5th places in a Sauber if he’s lucky? I think I’d be looking at endurance racing or an American series if I still had the single seater buzz.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Oh he’s not short of a few quid. When David Robertson was his manager he negotiated a Ferrari contract in 2006 that was close to $50m a season. They paid him that again in 2010 not to go to another team and spend a year rallying whilst he got paid for that too!

This is why it’s puzzling? Two years picking up 5th places in a Sauber if he’s lucky? I think I’d be looking at endurance racing or an American series if I still had the single seater buzz.
I think F1 is the pinnacle. Dropping down a division might not give him the same buzz.

Reactions: Glideslope

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

I just think there is a lot we simply do not know about this deal yet. I was also convinced he would walk away if they honored Sergio’s plans.

He will most likely call it a career in F1 after the Sauber stint. :apple:

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think F1 is the pinnacle. Dropping down a division might not give him the same buzz.
It’s the same as any sport though and depending on the driver they tend to know when the chance of winning is less due to age or opportunities. Alonso in my opinion is still capable of winning in the right car but has chosen to leave F1 while he is still able to win in another category. I think he has chosen the right time even if F1 will be a lot poorer without him on the grid. Raikkonen might still have it in him as he was awesome on his return to Lotus a few years ago and his form changed as soon as that Ferrari contract was on the table. I just don’t think he’ll win in a Sauber but welcome to be proven wrong.

F1 is the pinnacle for car racing in terms of technology and development but I have to say in terms of pure racing I follow road racing lol. Not that any F1 driver would dare do that! :p

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It’s the same as any sport though and depending on the driver they tend to know when the chance of winning is less due to age or opportunities. Alonso in my opinion is still capable of winning in the right car but has chosen to leave F1 while he is still able to win in another category. I think he has chosen the right time even if F1 will be a lot poorer without him on the grid. Raikkonen might still have it in him as he was awesome on his return to Lotus a few years ago and his form changed as soon as that Ferrari contract was on the table. I just don’t think he’ll win in a Sauber but welcome to be proven wrong.

F1 is the pinnacle for car racing in terms of technology and development but I have to say in terms of pure racing I follow road racing lol. Not that any F1 driver would dare do that! :p
I think the lifestyle for an F1 driver is a bit more extravagant than a rally driver!

But yes I think Alonso will enjoy his time away. But if the right deal came along he might come back. I bet he gets linked to every available seat for the next 4 years!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Sauber has far deeper connections to Maranello than Haas. IMO, Sauber has a better setup for 2019. Their current 2018 chassis is making very good progress. I’m sure there were internal factors we don’t know of. I’m actually shocked he is not walking away. 2 years with another team was not on my list of outcomes. Kimi must have been offered a very lucrative deal, and still wants to compete. Giving his “Family Guy” aura this season it’s interesting. Nigel won at 43 so we will see.

IMO, this makes Ferrari less of a factor in 2019. I don’t see Vettel and Leclerc getting along. Sauber will be a contender in 2019 now.
I'll believe it when it happens. As long as Haas stays within the rules, they have the second best Ferrari car out there and there is no evidence to support your claim their setup will be better in 2019

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I'll believe it when it happens. As long as Haas stays within the rules, they have the second best Ferrari car out there and there is no evidence to support your claim their setup will be better in 2019

Time will tell. We need to learn more details of the agreement sending Kimi to Sauber for 2 years. Given his stellar performance this season having to give way to honoring Sergio’s wishes for Leclerc I’m willing to assume Sauber will be the #2 Ferrari Team in 2019. Their chassis will be equal to Haas. I’m not going to simply overlook the political component simply because Haas is a US based team.

Ferrari has historically treated their WDC winning drivers differently. Sauber will be getting the A Package for Kimi at least for 2019.

We will simply be required to observe and fact find over the off season. ;)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Good news for us UK cheapskates!
Channel4 and Sky have agreed a deal to keep F1 highlights free to air on C4 (also British GP live.)
Just hope the highlight shows are the same length as they are now.

Details
http://f1.channel4.com/news/channel-four-and-sky-agree-formula-one-deal-2019/
I know a lot of people stopped watching completely when half the season went to highlights so I think this will pretty much kill it off in terms of being popular. Sad but at least there is some presence on TV.

Reactions: BenTrovato

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
We know Kimi will tow the line. No guarantee Le Clerc will if he thinks he can beat Vettel. Especially if a WDC is on the line.
I would expect LeClerc sees what happened with Max and RBR. He should do exactly that (with fewer crashes) and he should be fine at the Scuderia. At some point, if he races well, LeClerc will pass or replace Vettel.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I think the minute Vettel is being shown up by any team mate, he'll be off. Just like at RB.

I'll go further. I can see a repeat of Senna/Prost at McLaren, Hamilton/Rosberg at Mercedes. Vettel and Leclerc will be like oil and water. Vettel is his own worst enemy. He admits this publicly. I see no change. I just feel bad for Maurizio and all in Maranello. I predict 2019 will be his last year as Team Principle at Ferrari. F1.com had a poll up. 71% agreed Kimi should have stayed one more year.

I think Mercedes Team Orders will be very interesting in 2019 if Lewis wins #5 this year. Will Bottas be unleashed?

Last edited:

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
I'll go further. I can see a repeat of Senna/Prost at McLaren, Hamilton/Rosberg at Mercedes. Vettel and Leclerc will be like oil and water. Vettel is his own worst enemy. He admits this publicly. I see no change. I just feel bad for Maurizio and all in Maranello. I predict 2019 will be his last year as Team Principle at Ferrari. F1.com had a poll up. 71% agreed Kimi should have stayed one more year.

I think Mercedes Team Orders will be very interesting in 2019 if Lewis wins #5 this year. Will Bottas be unleashed?

I’m still holding off on putting Leclerc in the Prost/Senna category. I also feel that Prost/Senna in the Ferrari would win the championship hands down whereas Vettel is still great but continues to lag just slightly behind Lewis. Because of that .. IF Charles is really that good, then I agree there will be fireworks.

How do you feel things might change at Mercedes if Lewis wins #5?

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I’m still holding off on putting Leclerc in the Prost/Senna category. I also feel that Prost/Senna in the Ferrari would win the championship hands down whereas Vettel is still great but continues to lag just slightly behind Lewis. Because of that .. IF Charles is really that good, then I agree there will be fireworks.

How do you feel things might change at Mercedes if Lewis wins #5?

I would hope Bottas would be treated as an equal and allowed to race Lewis as Rosberg did. He obviously has been used as a Tailgunner this season. I like Bottas. I would like to see if given the green light he can take it to the Man Child.

But as always, it’s really about the WCC for me. Always has been. I have drivers I’ve liked and obviously those I detest. I’m all about Ferrari winning a WCC. If the WDC is driving a Ferrari then all the better I guess. I’m far more into the technical aspect of the cars, how the technology eventually makes its way into our daily drivers down the road, and the history of the Prancing Horse.

Many love to tout that F1 drivers are unparalleled in motor sports. Obviously one needs skill, but it’s truly the complete car package that enables them to appear super human. F1 is unrivaled in cutting edge tech, and pushing the envelope. I can drink that all day. :apple:

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’d like to see Bottas given a chance to race Lewis but from what I’ve seen he’s just not as good as Rosberg. He’s a solid number two driver and from a tram point of view that’s what they need. It’s great for viewers seeing team mate battles but it’s a huge headache for the team to manage.

My dream would be to see a British driver once again winning in a Williams! The greatest team on the grid for me, the only true privateer.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I’d like to see Bottas given a chance to race Lewis but from what I’ve seen he’s just not as good as Rosberg. He’s a solid number two driver and from a tram point of view that’s what they need. It’s great for viewers seeing team mate battles but it’s a huge headache for the team to manage.

My dream would be to see a British driver once again winning in a Williams! The greatest team on the grid for me, the only true privateer.

I agree he may not be a Rosberg. Nigel will always be my favorite British Driver in my time with F1. His time at Williams during the period of the "Active Suspension" was very exciting. It's unfortunate, but understandable why it was banned given the huge advantage.

It will be interesting to see with Alonso if he goes to Indy Car full time. Nigel won a WDC in both F1 and Indy Car.

I agree with you though it would be wonderful to see Williams competitive again from a WCC standpoint. Just hard to see it materializing. :apple:

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Real-Deal82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.