Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I wish there were 4-6 drivers with a chance.

there 2.

if one of them screws up then the number goes to 3...

and it isn't because lewie is the best. it's because his teammates are on a leash. a very short one at that.
Your saying Bottas is as good as Lewis? I don't think so. I think other than 2016 Lewis has always outperformed his teammate. And often by a big margin.
A bit more cooperation from Alonso when they were teammates, and a bit more reliably in 2016 and he could have been hunting down his 7th title this year.

Bottas is wasting that car. But it probably works for Wolfe and co. A quiet life!

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Verstappen or Alonso could probably win a title this year at Mercedes or Ferrari. It's a shame the field is so tilted. A few of my friends are huge Haas supporters, since it's the only American team. I get that, but they have NO chance to win a race. At best, one driver may finish 3rd one time this year. They did look solid in Australia, before their embarrassing retirements. Even still, they had no chance to even sniff a podium.

The biggest drama of the entire race was how Vettel benefited from the safety car. No crazy good driving or passing, but 100% luck and good fortune.

Must be really hard for someone at William's or haas to pour their heart and soul into their car and testing, all the while knowing they're completely overmatched and racing for 8th or 10th every race weekend.

Reactions: apolloa

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Verstappen or Alonso could probably win a title this year at Mercedes or Ferrari. It's a shame the field is so tilted. A few of my friends are huge Haas supporters, since it's the only American team. I get that, but they have NO chance to win a race. At best, one driver may finish 3rd one time this year. They did look solid in Australia, before their embarrassing retirements. Even still, they had no chance to even sniff a podium.

The biggest drama of the entire race was how Vettel benefited from the safety car. No crazy good driving or passing, but 100% luck and good fortune.

Must be really hard for someone at William's or haas to pour their heart and soul into their car and testing, all the while knowing they're completely overmatched and racing for 8th or 10th every race weekend.
Alonso could win in the Mercedes if Lewis wasn't his teammate! ;)

Actually I'd love to see the two of them going for it in equal equipment. I'm not sure Max is quite there yet, but its hard to say given his RBR set up.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Alonso could win in the Mercedes if Lewis wasn't his teammate! ;)

Actually I'd love to see the two of them going for it in equal equipment. I'm not sure Max is quite there yet, but its hard to say given his RBR set up.
Yeah, we don’t know what any of them can actually do. Lance stroll could be the best driver on the grid, but he’s in crap equipment. Not saying he is, just making a point that the cars are so far apart no one could take a Williams or toro rosso to victory right now.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Your saying Bottas is as good as Lewis? I don't think so. I think other than 2016 Lewis has always outperformed his teammate. And often by a big margin.
A bit more cooperation from Alonso when they were teammates, and a bit more reliably in 2016 and he could have been hunting down his 7th title this year.

Bottas is wasting that car. But it probably works for Wolfe and co. A quiet life!

nah. lewie is probably better than bottas. but it doesn't matter because he won't be allowed to race him.

Reactions: zagato27

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
My favorite season was when Jacques Villeneuve won the title. He was a no nonsense kind of guy and he was exciting. Way more fun than a robot like Michael Schumacher.

Reactions: pachyderm

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
My favorite season was when Jacques Villeneuve won the title. He was a no nonsense kind of guy and he was exciting. Way more fun than a robot like Michael Schumacher.

What a great season! Especially Portugal when different cars would lead the race at different stages on different strategies. So exciting.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Haha.. at Mercedes, they love having Bottas. They won't say though that and they'll continue with the one year deals as long as they have Lewie. Although I think Lewis will remain focussed this year and not hit his party streak because he wants to beat Vettel to 5 titles. But one he clinches #5, Lewis is gonna go nuts. He'll be at every fashion week, crash cars in Monaco, party in Spain.. maybe some other cool stuff :cool:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
lewie will be champ by week 7 at the latest.

Oh, mathematically Seb will still be alive, and probably Verstappen too, but it won't mean anything.

LOL. Not looking that way so far, eh? Lewis has Prancing Horses in his mind. Not a good place for the Man Child. The grid penalty is going to make him loose even more focus. He will start partying to release stress. All down hill from there. Kimi will be the 2018 F1 Campion and retire. ;)

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
LOL. Not looking that way so far, eh? Lewis has Prancing Horses in his mind. Not a good place for the Man Child. The grid penalty is going to make him loose even more focus. He will start partying to release stress. All down hill from there. Kimi will be the 2018 F1 Campion and retire. ;)

Yeah and he's gotten a 5 place grid penalty for replacing his transmission...

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Yeah and he's gotten a 5 place grid penalty for replacing his transmission...

It is the year the Prancing Horse. Kimi 2018 !!!!!!!!! ;)
[doublepost=1523117210][/doublepost]
Great to see Raikkonen on form this year. Would be nice to see him grab pole or a win this weekend!

Yes. Kimi is still P1 so far as of now. Very close in Q2 :)
[doublepost=1523117572][/doublepost]Ferrari P1, P2. Lewis the Man Child a full .50 back in P4. :eek:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
He almost did it! Great lap by Vettel though to take pole.

Blown away Pierre Gasly in the HONDA is starting 5th and both McLaren's are outside the top 10.
This is the story of qualifying! Go Honda! Alonso must be fuming.

As for penalties for changing parts, I'm not a fan. We all want to see Vettel v Lewis on the track.
I predict
Vettel
Kimi
Ricardio
Lewis
For tomorrow's race.
Sadly I'm working so can't watch live.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Bahrain*
nP3ViI5.png

ohF1xfn.png

*I think Lewis will actually start 9th because of the grid penalty for changing out his gear box.
[doublepost=1523145939][/doublepost]
This is the story of qualifying! Go Honda! Alonso must be fuming.

As for penalties for changing parts, I'm not a fan. We all want to see Vettel v Lewis on the track.
I predict
Vettel
Kimi
Ricardio
Lewis
For tomorrow's race.
Sadly I'm working so can't watch live.

Is Max going to get a penalty? He will have to change parts....

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I think Lewis will actually start 9th because of the grid penalty for changing out his gear box.

Correct.

Is Max going to get a penalty? He will have to change parts....

I am guessing he will start from Pit Lane to maximize his strategy options and minimize the chance of being run into at the Start, but yes, he likely would incur penalties for any changes arising from the accident if he chooses to start on the Grid.

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
He almost did it! Great lap by Vettel though to take pole.

Blown away Pierre Gasly in the HONDA is starting 5th and both McLaren's are outside the top 10.

The Honda/Torro pairing is completely engine focused. IMO, some of the issues at McLaren were the insistence that the engine conform to the chasis. Torro’s chasis is designed around the Honda engine. Completely opposite of the previous three years. IMO, you’ll see Honda power in Red Bull by 2020. Some of the early overheating issues in this years McLaren with Renault were from the same insistence of putting a square block in a round hole. :apple:

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
The Honda/Toro pairing is completely engine focused. IMO, some of the issues at McLaren were the insistence that the engine conform to the chasis. Toro’s chasis is designed around the Honda engine. Completely opposite of the previous three years. IMO, you’ll see Honda power in Red Bull by 2020. Some of the early overheating issues in this years McLaren with Renault were from the same insistence of putting a square block in a round hole. :apple:

I'd love to see Torro Rosso find the podium this season. Even the top 10 on regular basis would be great.

Reactions: Glideslope

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
what a great first few laps! #bahrain
Certainly better than Australia. Can't call this one. Probably Vettel, but I think Bottas might do it.
[doublepost=1523204232][/doublepost]I wouldn't want to be at the Ferrari debriefing.
Hope the guys leg is ok.
[doublepost=1523205395][/doublepost]
I'd love to see Torro Rosso find the podium this season. Even the top 10 on regular basis would be great.
They are ow so close. Just need Vettel to break down so Gassly can get third.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.