Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

studying001

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
I can confirm this crash, thanks for your description. It took like 10 minutes in video mode until Photo Booth crashed with the "Bad magic" crash.
BTW: I did all the SMC and PRAM voodoo without any change.
Really appreciate your efforts to test it. Today I used the mbp at apple store to do test.The crash happens the same.
Actually, I don't use photo booth often, but it does affect almost all the recording. It crashes 3 times during my video interview. That's the thing I worry about most.
Do you know if it's hardware issue or software issue?

Reactions: knweiss

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
So does anyone know if it happened once I'd it's just a rare occurrence? Like could this error happen because of something the user does as the least for it to have happened once. We

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
This is the first time I've seen anyone saying they're getting a crash on the new MacBook Air.

Has anyone else seen anything?

pubmsu

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2014
Sydney, Australia
So, how frequently I am expected to experience this crash if I do get affected either by the software or hardware underlying cause?

Every time the laptop goes to sleep?

Every time any external device is connected?

Every time audio/video is recorded?

What to expect if I buy a new 2018 MBP now?

AnotherSoftwareEngineer

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2018
So, how frequently I am expected to experience this crash if I do get affected either by the software or hardware underlying cause?

I've never had a BridgeOS crash on my 2018 MBP. The only blips in an otherwise continuous uptime have been software updates.

studying001

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
I've never had a BridgeOS crash on my 2018 MBP. The only blips in an otherwise continuous uptime have been software updates.
If you never encounter crash, maybe you didn't use mbp under certain condition, such as recording. If you use photobooth to record, it will definitely crash if it's 2018 mbp. I tested 5 laptops including the one in apple store. The crash happens with 5min to 1hr, but in the end all crashed and returned bridge os error.
[doublepost=1542722946][/doublepost]

As far as I know, everytime you recording using certain software or online platform, it crashes

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Maybe, if we are lucky that is, Apple silently improved something hardware wise and at least the newer Vega MBPs will work flawlessly..

I'm doubtful of that. Instead, I think that Apple implemented a way of detecting the T2 faults during production testing and are only shipping out good units. If true, it would be interesting to know their production failure rate.

I myself am waiting on the models with a T3. Unless explicitly notified of a T2 hardware change, I'm going to assume that the T2 Bridge Error will eventually show up.
[doublepost=1542725300][/doublepost]
I did SMC reset Now it seems okay. I had no external things plugged in either and bad it since August so seemed like a fluke.

Intermittent faults are bad and will often reappear after people think that they have gone away.

The resale value of the 2018 models will probably be terrible :(.
[doublepost=1542725717][/doublepost]
Do you know if it's hardware issue or software issue?

Apple hasn't said but, if the problem is reproducible (recording in photo booth) and they haven't fixed it yet in software or firmware, you can assume it's hardware. Seeing as people aren't reporting this issue in their older T1 computers, I would say it's most likely a fabrication or design issue with the T2.

Software and firmware can only do so much to mask out a problem with hardware.

Last edited:

studying001

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
I'm doubtful of that. Instead, I think that Apple implemented a way of detecting the T2 faults during production testing and are only shipping out good units. If true, it would be interesting to know their production failure rate.

I myself am waiting on the models with a T3. Unless explicitly notified of a T2 hardware change, I'm going to assume that the T2 Bridge Error will eventually show up.
[doublepost=1542725300][/doublepost]

Intermittent faults are bad and will often reappear after people think that they have gone away.

The resale value of the 2018 models will probably be terrible :(.
[doublepost=1542725717][/doublepost]

Apple hasn't said but, if the problem is reproducible (recording in photo booth) and they haven't fixed it yet in software or firmware, you can assume it's hardware. Seeing as people aren't reporting this issue in their older T1 computers, I would say it's most likely a fabrication or design issue with the T2.

Software and firmware can only do so much to mask out a problem with hardware.
Thanks. Do you think if it's a good idea to return this 2018 mbp and buy a 2017 mbp? I need a laptop and cannot wait until 2019.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Thanks. Do you think if it's a good idea to return this 2018 mbp and buy a 2017 mbp? I need a laptop and cannot wait until 2019.

In my opinion you'll have even more trouble with the 2017 based on the keyboard issues. Those are the default laptops in my office and a lot of people have had issues with one or more keys sticking. It's sad that it's come to this, huh? I'm in a similar situation. I bought a 2018 when they first came out but had the crashing so returned it and got a refund as I had a backup computer. In the next month or so, however, I won't have that computer so I'll need to buy something.

studying001

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
In my opinion you'll have even more trouble with the 2017 based on the keyboard issues. Those are the default laptops in my office and a lot of people have had issues with one or more keys sticking. It's sad that it's come to this, huh? I'm in a similar situation. I bought a 2018 when they first came out but had the crashing so returned it and got a refund as I had a backup computer. In the next month or so, however, I won't have that computer so I'll need to buy something.
Do you have suggestions on any other laptops or other brand? I am also ok with windows.

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
Do you have suggestions on any other laptops or other brand?

Surface book 2 from Microsoft:
- heavier
- very good but not great trackpad that is a bit hard to press
- unusual weight distribution (the screen/tablet is quite heavy so be careful when you have it on your laps :D )
- no Thunderboltolt 3
- less powerful CPU

+ insane battery life (12-16 hours of light usage)
+ GTX 1050/1060
+ one of the best keyboards ever
+ MagSafe
+ 3:2 aspect ratio is great for productivity
+ gorgeous screen
+ touchscreen
+ windows hello
+ 2 in 1 so you also have a tablet
+ phenomenal build quality
+ USB A port
+ SD card slot
+ Microsoft pen that is surprisingly nice to use
+ can actually game

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
- heavier
- unusual weight distribution (the screen/tablet is quite heavy so be careful when you have it on your laps :D )
- no Thunderboltolt 3
- less powerful CPU

+ GTX 1050/1060
+ MagSafe
+ gorgeous screen
+ touchscreen
+ windows hello
+ USB A port
+ SD card slot
+ can actually game

It also has a 15W CPU, so a lot weaker. It has various other issues as well (Reddit/forum them). I wouldn't recommend the Book 2 as a product personally.

studying001

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
- heavier
- no Thunderboltolt 3
- less powerful CPU

+ GTX 1050/1060
+ MagSafe
+ gorgeous screen
+ touchscreen
+ windows hello
+ USB A port
+ SD card slot
+ can actually game
Thanks! I am thinking about it too. Just concerning about the weight. Do you have any idea about Thinkpad carbon X1 and Surface laptop(instead of surface book)?
[doublepost=1542736918][/doublepost]
It also has a 15W CPU, so a lot weaker. It has various other issues as well (Reddit/forum them). I wouldn't recommend the Book 2 as a product personally.
So do you have any recommendation for other laptops?

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Thanks! I am thinking about it too. Just concerning about the weight. Do you have any idea about Thinkpad carbon X1 and Surface laptop(instead of surface book)?
[doublepost=1542736918][/doublepost]
So do you have any recommendation for other laptops?

None are perfect but these are what I’d buy over the Surface;

15 inch (45w CPU):

Razer Blade 15
XPS 9570
HP Spectre x360 15
X1 Extreme
Aero 15X

13 inch (15w CPU):

XPS 9370
Surface Laptop 2 if you don’t mind the ports
Lenovo S730/C930
Lenovo X1 Carbon
HP Spectre x360 (2018 Whiskey Lake)

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
It has various other issues as well (Reddit/forum them)

As does every single laptop. But they are far less numerous than the Macbook.

Depends on your work. If just general productivity then X1 or Surface Laptop will be more than fine for you. If you need some power then the Surface Book.

studying001

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
By the way, do you guys think apple will call back the 2018 model because of T2 chip problem? Is there any precedent example?

And is anybody has dual systems (windows and mojave) installed? If so, can you check recording function under windows system?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.