Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
Okay, got my replacement Mac (it was also refurbished, had 9 battery cycles): 2 days fine, now KP's every time I try to record audio inside Screenflow "Record Computer Audio".

Bridge OS 3.2 (16P52534b) on that machine.
macOS 10.14.1
Macbook 13", i7, 500 GB SSD
9 battery cycles is not such a big deal, certainly less than 14 days of usage and that is what I find disturbing in your case.
This machine was purchased new and returned within 14 days. Obviously Apple hasn't got the right game plan on how to detect the cause of the KPs and the machines are given a basic check and then shipped out.

What is your take on this? Are you going to ask for a refund or another replacement?

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Okay, got my replacement Mac (it was also refurbished, had 9 battery cycles): 2 days fine, now KP's every time I try to record audio inside Screenflow "Record Computer Audio".

macOS 10.14.1

What? Apple gave you a refurbished Mac as a replacement for a 3 day old one that you were having issues with?

Or was the 3 day old one a refurbished replacement for an older one already outside the return window?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.1 (16P1065)",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.

I got this error for the first time ever yesterday. I have had my Mac book pro since they were released. This year.

Any reason why this would happen now?

How do I do a SMC reset?

Trillion

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
Israel
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.1 (16P1065)",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.

I got this error for the first time ever yesterday. I have had my Mac book pro since they were released. This year.

Any reason why this would happen now?

How do I do a SMC reset?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

but don't expect this to do anything, those problems just occur and nobody was able to find a fix for it.

the 2019 model will have the revolutionary never seen before on a Mac feature of not crushing all the time.

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2009
I did have a lot of KPs that only happens when I watch videos in IINA.

After that I tried to change T2 security boot to 'No Security' and then it KP the same day.

However, I then disabled Siri completely (not just Hey Siri) and now I didn't get any KP for over 3 weeks.

Now, I am afraid to change the T2 security boot back to normal so it won't KP again.

Last edited:

brainray

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
What? Apple gave you a refurbished Mac as a replacement for a 3 day old one that you were having issues with?

Or was the 3 day old one a refurbished replacement for an older one already outside the return window?

The original one was a refurbished Mac, the replacement also a refurbished Mac. Sorry if I was not precise on that.
[doublepost=1542383921][/doublepost]
9 battery cycles is not such a big deal, certainly less than 14 days of usage and that is what I find disturbing in your case.
This machine was purchased new and returned within 14 days. Obviously Apple hasn't got the right game plan on how to detect the cause of the KPs and the machines are given a basic check and then shipped out.

What is your take on this? Are you going to ask for a refund or another replacement?

Exactly: they just put the erratic Macs back to trade. They don't seem to care.

I'm not sure what I'll do next. Either I'll keep it or ask for a refund. Asking for another replacement doesn't seem to be a good idea, since the chance to get another erratic Macs is high, because the original MacBook was a refurbished one, and it will always be replaced by a refurbished one.

BTW: my colleague at work got a 15" Mac a week ago, and he didn't have a single KP ever since.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

but don't expect this to do anything, those problems just occur and nobody was able to find a fix for it.

the 2019 model will have the revolutionary never seen before on a Mac feature of not crushing all the time.

I'm not sure why the T2 chip is even needed. Calling it a "security chip" is not really accurate; it's a co-processor, probably a transitional chip on the way to Apple having fully ARM-based Macs. I get that that's the direction they're heading in. But if this is the test, then it has some serious kinks. Clearly if they had a fix, it'd be out by now, they have no clue how to fix it. It's probably hardware related and can't be fixed with an OS update. I'd be fine if the next Mac didn't come with a "crash chip", but all the new ones are going to include these. Guess we'll just have to wait for T3.

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
I've cancelled my Mac Mini order.
I just can't justify buying that on the opposite side of the world and not being able to get a replacement due to T2 related problems.
That's it for me. When they release Jobs edition of Macs I'll be interested.

Reactions: ressac and solouki

brainray

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
Clearly if they had a fix, it'd be out by now, they have no clue how to fix it. It's probably hardware related and can't be fixed with an OS update

Thats my impression as well. There are Macs with faulty T2 chips IMHO. Apple has no idea how to clearly test this and are not helpful in handing out replacements. I guess we are a small percentage and they just try to get away with it.

Reactions: solouki

content

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2015
...are not helpful in handing out replacements.
The fact that they are now, as of late, being uncooperative in replacing these machines makes the situation compounded. I suppose it's because they cannot clearly identify the problem or reproduce it consistently, even though they know something is not right.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Has anyone seem reports of similar crashes on the new MacBook Air? I had a quick look on here and while there's a thread about the T2 I didn't see anyone reporting crashes. Hmm.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Not just here, but pretty much all over the internet I have not seen a single MBA T2 KP report.

That's good, I guess, but not good for the 2018 MacBook Pro. I bought a 13" just after these new models came out (and I loved it!) but after about a month I sent it back due to the crashing and got a refund (yes, they let me get a refund after the 14 day window). I was lucky enough to be able to fall back to using my older work MacBook Pro for a few months but I'm now almost in the situation where I need my own MacBook Pro (for working while doing some longer-term travelling) and I'm kind of worried that I don't have any choice other than to get one of the 2018 models again. I left this thread about 40 pages ago and I was hoping that when coming back today I'd be hearing it's no longer an issue. Damn.

AvengerNX08

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2015
Germany
That's good, I guess, but not good for the 2018 MacBook Pro. I bought a 13" just after these new models came out (and I loved it!) but after about a month I sent it back due to the crashing and got a refund (yes, they let me get a refund after the 14 day window). I was lucky enough to be able to fall back to using my older work MacBook Pro for a few months but I'm now almost in the situation where I need my own MacBook Pro (for working while doing some longer-term travelling) and I'm kind of worried that I don't have any choice other than to get one of the 2018 models again. I left this thread about 40 pages ago and I was hoping that when coming back today I'd be hearing it's no longer an issue. Damn.

Maybe, if we are lucky that is, Apple silently improved something hardware wise and at least the newer Vega MBPs will work flawlessly..

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I myself bought a 2015 15" right after the 2016 touch bar announcement as I know I needed the ports, no nonsense function keys, and a KB with good travel. So far it had served me well as a portable workstation but the weight class is exceedingly unacceptable whenever I take it for long haul, so I have been seriously considering the 2018 13" since it got a quad core update. Technically even up to 2018 MBP it is still the same design just iteration of the 2016, and will probably go well into 2020 if past design cycles are to be referenced... as with all the design's flaws. And then Apple managed to make it stickier by the KB reliability and now T2 kernel panics. Every day passes and I am more and more glad I made the 2015 15" decision.

The MBA 2018 KB that I have tried in store tells me it is not the same Butterfly gen3 on the MBP 2018, and if its T2 chip does prove to be kernel panic free, it will ironically be my lightweight choice for running macOS. Despite me needing the extra power in the 13" and that a refurb of it only cost few hundreds more than the Air, its questionable reliably is such a deal breaker. And I don't have to deal with the TouchBar while still get Touch ID on the Air.

Reactions: content

brainray

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018

macOS 10.14.1

Here is an actual state report on my MacBook:
I only had these Screenflow KPs described above, none else. The version is Screenflow 6, which is like 2 years old. This version works without any problem on my other Macs. The Telestream/Screenflow driver is the actual one. So I downloaded the actual version of Screenflow which is 8 - and now I get no KPs when recordings audio.

So, thats a 'fix'. But I'm currently not willing to shell out €150 for the new AppStore version..

Yesterday I did some intense testing, trying to force other KPs like I had with my previous MacBook - didn't get a single one.

This leads me to a conclusion:
1. there might be hardware related 'Bridge OS KPs' like on the previous MacBook. These typically happen when awaking from sleep, working with external USB-C or Thunderbolt adapters etc.
2. and software related 'Bridge OS KPs'. Like my Screenflow 6 KP. Someone else described that KPs started after he installed Flash.
In the first case it's caused by a faulty hardware component, in the second by software things that are not compatible with T2. Does that make sense?

I will keep the Mac for another week since I'm still in the 14 days period. But if the Screenflow thing stays the only problem, I tend to keep the MacBook - it's a really great machine.

studying001

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
Here is an actual state report on my MacBook:
I only had these Screenflow KPs described above, none else. The version is Screenflow 6, which is like 2 years old. This version works without any problem on my other Macs. The Telestream/Screenflow driver is the actual one. So I downloaded the actual version of Screenflow which is 8 - and now I get no KPs when recordings audio.

So, thats a 'fix'. But I'm currently not willing to shell out €150 for the new AppStore version..

Yesterday I did some intense testing, trying to force other KPs like I had with my previous MacBook - didn't get a single one.

This leads me to a conclusion:
1. there might be hardware related 'Bridge OS KPs' like on the previous MacBook. These typically happen when awaking from sleep, working with external USB-C or Thunderbolt adapters etc.
2. and software related 'Bridge OS KPs'. Like my Screenflow 6 KP. Someone else described that KPs started after he installed Flash.
In the first case it's caused by a faulty hardware component, in the second by software things that are not compatible with T2. Does that make sense?

I will keep the Mac for another week since I'm still in the 14 days period. But if the Screenflow thing stays the only problem, I tend to keep the MacBook - it's a really great machine.

My MacBook Pro also crashes everytime when I record audio or video. It crashes when I do video interview. If you turn on Photo Booth and record, it will definitely crash sooner or later. (I have tried 3 laptops. They all crash when recording)

Reactions: knweiss

brainray

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
My MacBook Pro also crashes everytime when I record audio or video. It crashes when I do video interview. If you turn on Photo Booth and record, it will definitely crash sooner or later. (I have tried 3 laptops. They all crash when recording)

Interesting - just tried it, but didn't get a crash. Maybe I didn't try hard enough :)
Yesterday I did audio recording with Ableton Live 9 and an external Zoom U 24 interface. Worked. I also power-cycled the interface while recording and did similar disturbances. No crash.

What do you use to record audio and video apart using Photo Booth?
Thanks

studying001

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
Interesting - just tried it, but didn't get a crash. Maybe I didn't try hard enough :)
Yesterday I did audio recording with Ableton Live 9 and an external Zoom U 24 interface. Worked. I also power-cycled the interface while recording and did similar disturbances. No crash.

What do you use to record audio and video apart using Photo Booth?
Thanks

I use Hire Vue, which is an online video interview system that many large companies are using for hiring. It always crashes during the interview. I realized it might be audio system problem. So I used Photo Booth video recording to test. It will not immediately crash after you start recording, but if you keep the recording on, it will finally crash (just a matter of time). All my previous three mbp 2018 laptops crashed when using Photo Booth to record.

Now I am thinking if I should return it back and buy a 2017 mbp.

If anyone has dual systems in MacBook (both Mojave and windows), can you test recording under windows too?

Last edited:

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Could installing Adobe flash caused my crash. That's only thing I recently installed. Is Adobe flash even needed on new Mac books?
[doublepost=1542589627][/doublepost]I did SMC reset Now it seems okay. I had no external things plugged in either and bad it since August so seemed like a fluke.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Maybe, if we are lucky that is, Apple silently improved something hardware wise and at least the newer Vega MBPs will work flawlessly..

That'd be nice but it's only the 15" models that have the Vega option and this issue is on both the 13" and the 15".

brainray

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
So I used Photo Booth video recording to test. It will not immediately crash after you start recording, but if you keep the recording on, it will finally crash (just a matter of time). All my previous three mbp 2018 laptops crashed when using Photo Booth to record.

I can confirm this crash, thanks for your description. It took like 10 minutes in video mode until Photo Booth crashed with the "Bad magic" crash.
BTW: I did all the SMC and PRAM voodoo without any change.

Reactions: knweiss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.