Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marketh

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Manchester, UK
Is there any change in T2 Firmware for the 10.14.2 beta from 10.14.1? Suppose if there is, it's a sign they're still actively working on things.

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
Just as a heads up, a user receiving the new Mac mini today has already reported 8 times BridgeOS KP in the space of 12 hours.

Absolute joke of a tech company.

Hilarious and sad at the same time. Looking at this senior advisor who told me that taking months to fix this issue is doomsday speak, it really is doomsday. Extremely happy I got a full refund for my MBP.

Baffling one of the most valuable companies in the world can be so incompetent.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Knock on wood ... a few posts back, someone mentioned doing the SMC reset twice in a row. I'd done it once before to try and fix this, but no luck. Per the suggestion of the post, I did it twice in a row a couple days ago and haven't had a KP since.

My KPs only occur immediately after entering password on boot from a shutdown state. Haven't had them in any other case. Will continue following and report back either way in a week or so (or if I get another KP).

Reactions: iZeljko

turshuanzen

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
Just made an account so that I can post in this thread. Just experienced my first KP on a brand new MBP w/ touchbar purchased last Friday. Part of the log below:

{"caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.1

Seems like the 3.1 version didn't fix the issue so I am wondering if it is indeed a hardware issue. In this case, I might just return it or have it replaced, but if the issue persists on other devices, then why bother replacing?

All in all, it happened while sleeping with the lid open and the power chord plugged in the top left usb-c port. I have seen someone mentioning this already so we start to see a pattern. However, this is so specific and why in the world such an expensive machine would restart because of this...

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
Just in case you didn't read all 100!!! pages of this thread to see my report of this previously: Same problem for me, been going on for months now. Can't use the LG UltraFine 4K with my iMac Pro, it will randomly crash. I can reliably reproduce the crash just by using Photos.app. Also had a 13" and a 15" 2018 MBP that had the same crashes, (though not with the LG display, I never connected it to those), both MBPs were returned. I have an open case with a senior advisor at Apple, nothing but crickets for weeks now, they stopped responding to my emails. I've decided enough is enough, built a Hackintosh which the LG displays work perfectly with, and I'm selling the iMac Pro. Really disappointing...
Return the iMP and get your money back man

Robotronic

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Knock on wood ... a few posts back, someone mentioned doing the SMC reset twice in a row. I'd done it once before to try and fix this, but no luck. Per the suggestion of the post, I did it twice in a row a couple days ago and haven't had a KP since.

Maybe the SMC reset needs to be performed after being updated to a very recent version of BridgeOS? To anyone that may have tried an SMC reset in the past with no improvement, try it again after updating to the latest version of Mojave.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
I was strongly convinced it was a software/firmware bug, for the reasons I wrote in the thread, but as time goes by, it’s starting to look more and more like a hardware defect affecting some units only. BTW, wasn’t the T2 the chip that Apple was so proud of because of its smallest nanometer technology behind? (I’m talking from my memory and I could be wrong, but if the smallest nanometer one was this T2 chip maybe they are having some yield issues in some T2 chips).

Reactions: SDColorado

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
From back on Oct 6.... Picked up a 4th from the local Apple store for some side by side comparison and to help make up my mind which to keep and which to return.

@SDColorado
I followed your saga for awhile, but lost track of things back in early-to-mid-October.
I think you threw in the towel after the 3rd problematic 2018 MBP, and swore you'd given up for good... but then picked up another (4th) at a local Apple store.
What ever happened with that 4th machine?

Sorry, you have so many posts, it's hard to find a post that describes the outcome of the experience with that 4th machine.

Last edited:

brainray

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
Got my MBP 13 2018 3 days ago and had the first crash on first boot seeing the language selector.

Bridge OS 3.2 (16P52534b) on that machine.

I'm getting the unit replaced this week. Support asked me to do SMC reset but I did't do it. I asked them to send me a replacement or give my money back.
I'll keep you posted.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I will keep you updated!
There's 84 instances of the word SMC in this thread, and perusing the usage, it seems many people have tried resetting the SMC, with little to no success. I don't think such a simple action as that will fix it for everyone since we have evidence it's not working for others.

betadecay

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
There's 84 instances of the word SMC in this thread, and perusing the usage, it seems many people have tried resetting the SMC, with little to no success. I don't think such a simple action as that will fix it for everyone since we have evidence it's not working for others.

To be honest, i also didn't believe that it will solve the issue. But there was also nothing to lose to give it a try.
And for me it seems to work(, too). I had crashes regularly after waking up my MBP from sleep( > 3 crashes a day). Also did only a single SMC reset, which did not solve the issue.
So i suggest to try it out: twice SMC resets in a row with respect to the correct procedure for T2 Macs.

Some positive/negative feedback would be nice!

Reactions: iZeljko

brainray

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
No harm in trying, but my point is that they were trying that with little to no luck

Sorry, I have no interest in trying the SMC reset, if the pristine OS on a new mac crashed on first boot on my my side.
This was a refurbished Mac, and I suspect that the pervious owner had the same problems and Apple just re-sold the Mac without fixing anything.

BTW: I just tried macOS beta for 10.14.2 and there is no change: still Bridge OS 3.2 (16P52534b) installed and still crashing.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
@SDColorado
I followed your saga for awhile, but lost track of things back in early-to-mid-October.
I think you threw in the towel after the 3rd problematic 2018 MBP, and swore you'd given up for good... but then picked up another (4th) at a local Apple store.
What ever happened with that 4th machine?

Sorry, you have so many posts, it's hard to find a post that describes the outcome of the experience with that 4th machine.

That was about the gist of it. I decided to try one more. But with the continued issues with keyboards, kernel panics, long repair times and time without their computer for repair being reported by some, I decided that I didn't feel the 2018 MacBook Pro was going t be a good, dependable machine for the long haul. Despite not having issues with the 4th, 3 out of 4 with problems is not a good track record.

I decided to return the 4th while it was still inside the 14-days. I am going to sit this round out until there is a revision. I will have another look then.

Reactions: rdubmu and iZeljko

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sorry, I have no interest in trying the SMC reset, if the pristine OS
I don't blame you and if I were in your shoes, I too would get a refund. I actually would avoid the MBP, not just get it replaced. Had I known about this problem before plunking down almost 3k, I would probably avoid it myself. I'm one of the lucky ones that has a stable machine. Overall its a great laptop but, this whole T2 issue is concerning.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

I tried to do the SMC reset twice in a row way back with unit #1. It made no difference. As you say, it is nothing that you can remedy that easily. If it could be, Apple would probably have put out some sort of bulletin about that, similar to the one they tried with the keyboard cleaning method.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
[...] Had I known about this problem before plunking down almost 3k, I would probably avoid it myself. I'm one of the lucky ones that has a stable machine [...]
I was aware of the issue, but after extending and extending the lifetime of my MacBook Air because Apple didn't release a worthy successor to it, I was in a situation where I couldn't work anymore with my (late 2010) MBA, and I really needed to buy a new MacBook. I waited as much as I could, even up to the day of the iPhone event, hoping seeing a new 14inch or 15inch MBA successor. But nothing was released, and I couldn't wait anymore, so even being aware of the issue I bought a 15inch MBP, as it was almost 100% clear that Apple wasn't going to release any MB bigger than 13inch apart from the MBP. Just like you, I've been one of the lucky ones... no KPs (at least not yet).

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
That was about the gist of it. I decided to try one more. But with the continued issues with keyboards, kernel panics, long repair times and time without their computer for repair being reported by some, I decided that I didn't feel the 2018 MacBook Pro was going t be a good, dependable machine for the long haul. Despite not having issues with the 4th, 3 out of 4 with problems is not a good track record.

I decided to return the 4th while it was still inside the 14-days. I am going to sit this round out until there is a revision. I will have another look then.

This has been an interesting set of events to watch unfold. This may someday become another case-study in how screwing over long-time-loyal customers eventually causes significant erosion of the bottom line. I hope Apple pulls their heads out of their *** soon. Their arrogance (or maybe it's just plain ignorance) has got to be showing up in attainment of overall revenue targets eventually.

Speaking for myself, I will NEVER confidently buy another Apple product on launch day EVER again. They have demonstrated to me (and my friends and family) that neither their product reliability, nor customer service, can be trusted. A purchase decision will only be considered after a product has been in the market for a while, and there's no systemic customer-sat issues.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
This has been an interesting set of events to watch unfold. This may someday become another case-study in how screwing over long-time-loyal customers eventually causes significant erosion of the bottom line. I hope Apple pulls their heads out of their *** soon. Their arrogance (or maybe it's just plain ignorance) has got to be showing up in attainment of overall revenue targets eventually.

Speaking for myself, I will NEVER confidently buy another Apple product on launch day EVER again. They have demonstrated to me (and my friends and family) that neither their product reliability, nor customer service, can be trusted. A purchase decision will only be considered after a product has been in the market for a while, and there's no systemic customer-sat issues.

I agree. As a die hard Apple fan, who has bled Apple Juice for the last 12+ years to give up on this model is a bit heart breaking to say the least. I am really hoping that they get their **** together for a serious revision in the near future. It isn’t just the casual buyer and occasional punter they are losing these days, it’s their loyal repeat customers.

felixthehumancat

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2018
It just happened again. It never does while working on it, I leave it for a couple of minutes and when I come back it is rebooted. I don't get crash report screen, so I am not sure it is a kernel panic. Logs (/Library/DiagnosticReports) are full of this nonsense:

Code:
ø¼£í, (ç$0:MacBookPro15,2B18B75ZUser`hzC ˜È£í,(€€è0т€À/˜È£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC ºóÊ£í,(€€è0т€À/ºóÊ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC ÕþÏ£í,(€€è0т€À/ÓþÏ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC šÍÒ£í,(€€è0т€À/šÍÒ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC —´Õ£í,(€€è0т€À/—´Õ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC «å×£í,(€€è0т€À/ªå×£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC áëÜ£í,(€€è0т€À/áëÜ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC ëòá£í,(€€è0т€À/ëòá£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC éûã£í,(€€è0т€À/çûã£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC ìûã£í,(€€è0т€À/

I have a brand new MacBook Pro 2018 since 10 days: it has been a nightmare. In my kernel report I also get mentions op 'MacBookPro15' ... Why is that? Apple support has been not a great help, the Apple shop where I bought it from refuses to take it back or replace it unless it's a proven hardware problem. They did a clean install of the OS and considered the issue as fixed??? I still have 6 crash reports in a timespan of not even 3 hours. Have been using Mac's since 1994 and feel like I'm totally been taken for a ride.
[doublepost=1542055805][/doublepost]
Just made an account so that I can post in this thread. Just experienced my first KP on a brand new MBP w/ touchbar purchased last Friday. Part of the log below:

{"caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.1

Seems like the 3.1 version didn't fix the issue so I am wondering if it is indeed a hardware issue. In this case, I might just return it or have it replaced, but if the issue persists on other devices, then why bother replacing?

All in all, it happened while sleeping with the lid open and the power chord plugged in the top left usb-c port. I have seen someone mentioning this already so we start to see a pattern. However, this is so specific and why in the world such an expensive machine would restart because of this...

I have the same issues. I have a brand new MacBook Pro 2018 since 10 days: it has been a nightmare. Apple support has not been a great help, the Apple shop where I bought it from refuses to take it back or replace it unless it's a proven hardware problem. They did a clean install of the OS and considered the issue as fixed??? I still have 6 crash reports in a timespan of not even 3 hours. Have been using Mac's since 1994 and feel like I'm totally been taken for a ride.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.