Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RossoNunzio

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2017
I got a new computer, and the issue was fixed. Still got flickers on external display on some apps that are not from an identified developer like SoundCleod.
are you not having problems with these crashes and with the famous croaking sound?How long have you been using the new mac?

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
are you not having problems with these crashes and with the famous croaking sound?How long have you been using the new mac?

45 days. Both on Mojave (10.14 & 10.14.1) and High Sierra (Supplemental update 2). Have actually been a breeze to own a Mac. Have used it for everything. Different cables to external display. Wakes up every time. Have had a few crashes due to software from unidentified developers, but everything official and Apple approved has been a success.

MBP 2018 2.2GHz hex 555x radeon.

Had 6-7 2016 models, both 13 and 15, and they produced the errors in this thread. So did also my first 2018 baseline 15". Got a second batch and installed Mojave, and everything went smooth.

Einkoro

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Canada
Still seeing KPs under 10.14.1 sadly. Flickering and graphics corruption seems worse than ever across applications and particularly bad in Xcode.

Dealing with support has been not fun. They expect me to drive 587km to the nearest Apple Store which includes a $79 ferry (one way so $158 out the window before fuel) and considering the length of the trip it’s at least one nights stay at a hotel to deal with it. Whatever happened to Advanced RMAs and sending a replacement out?

pubmsu

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2014
Sydney, Australia
What's the very latest response from Apple regarding this? I mean what are they saying when users are going to Genius Bars?

I am hesitating to buy a 2018 just due to this.

marchellow

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
It just happened again. It never does while working on it, I leave it for a couple of minutes and when I come back it is rebooted. I don't get crash report screen, so I am not sure it is a kernel panic. Logs (/Library/DiagnosticReports) are full of this nonsense:

Code:
ø¼£í, (ç$0:MacBookPro15,2B18B75ZUser`hzC ˜È£í,(€€è0т€À/˜È£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC ºóÊ£í,(€€è0т€À/ºóÊ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC ÕþÏ£í,(€€è0т€À/ÓþÏ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC šÍÒ£í,(€€è0т€À/šÍÒ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC —´Õ£í,(€€è0т€À/—´Õ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC «å×£í,(€€è0т€À/ªå×£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC áëÜ£í,(€€è0т€À/áëÜ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC ëòá£í,(€€è0т€À/ëòá£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC éûã£í,(€€è0т€À/çûã£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC ìûã£í,(€€è0т€À/

BlueseaApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
It just happened again. It never does while working on it, I leave it for a couple of minutes and when I come back it is rebooted. I don't get crash report screen, so I am not sure it is a kernel panic. Logs (/Library/DiagnosticReports) are full of this nonsense:

Code:
ø¼£í, (ç$0:MacBookPro15,2B18B75ZUser`hzC ˜È£í,(€€è0т€À/˜È£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC ºóÊ£í,(€€è0т€À/ºóÊ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC ÕþÏ£í,(€€è0т€À/ÓþÏ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC šÍÒ£í,(€€è0т€À/šÍÒ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC —´Õ£í,(€€è0т€À/—´Õ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC «å×£í,(€€è0т€À/ªå×£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC áëÜ£í,(€€è0т€À/áëÜ£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC ëòá£í,(€€è0т€À/ëòá£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC éûã£í,(€€è0т€À/çûã£í,
unknownNSUserActivityTypeBrowsingWebzC ìûã£í,(€€è0т€À/
[doublepost=1541268463][/doublepost]
Take it back and seek a refund. Wait until this issue is properly fixed. Try the new MBA, perhaps it’s different! Wait until Apple declare a recall programme and then confidence will be higher they’ve identified and fixed the issue.

marchellow

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
[doublepost=1541268463][/doublepost]

Take it back and seek a refund. Wait until this issue is properly fixed. Try the new MBA, perhaps it’s different! Wait until Apple declare a recall programme and then confidence will be higher they’ve identified and fixed the issue.

Thanks, but I'm out of the refund period and I am not interested in the Air. I'll just want to keep things updated here, maybe it is useful for someone, until there's a fix.

vitamin-b

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
I can now confirm that turning off Siri completely removed KPs for me. Before they occurred mostly when on running youtube in foreground or background.

Thus I am just wondering is anyone uses youtube extensively and has hey siri turned on and does not experience KPs.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
I can now confirm that turning off Siri completely removed KPs for me. Before they occurred mostly when on running youtube in foreground or background.

Thus I am just wondering is anyone uses youtube extensively and has hey siri turned on and does not experience KPs.

I use YouTube a lot and have Hey Siri on and never had a KP (yet!).

Broslowski

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018

Hey mate - same here

imax89

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2018
Russia
Found a solution for me. All I did was resetting SMC twice (turn off MBP -> hold pwr button for 10 seconds -> turn off MBP -> hold pwr button for 10 seconds). Now I can confirm that I hadn't had KPs for 3 weeks. Something tells me that it's a necessary thing to reset SMC right after you buy a new MBP 2018. Hope it'll help Y'all.

Reactions: iZeljko

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
Found a solution for me. All I did was resetting SMC twice (turn off MBP -> hold pwr button for 10 seconds -> turn off MBP -> hold pwr button for 10 seconds). Now I can confirm that I hadn't had KPs for 3 weeks. Something tells me that it's a necessary thing to reset SMC right after you buy a new MBP 2018. Hope it'll help Y'all.
Wow - if this is a fix we all have been waiting for then you deserve a MacRumor medal of honour !

Reactions: g75d3

pulch

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2018
Hi everyone,

Glad to hear some people have found solutions independently on the software side of things. I'm just coming back from the Apple Store, and some good-ish news.

They took my laptop back without hesitation after showing them the kernel panic log files. They're going to give me a new logic board and based on what the Genius Bar tech told me, Apple is aware of this issue with the hardware on some 2018 MBPs. I also believe this since my tech had said they had seen something regarding hardware issues on 2018 MBPs recently. They were very amenable and the replacement comes at no charge since it's still under warranty.

Will update once I get the machine back if there's still issues.

As background, this appointment was set up after several chat sessions and phone calls. with Apple Support.

Reactions: eagerwu and pubmsu

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017

Imax89, glad to hear that you have found a solution for your machine...this is great news!

I can verify, however, that for two different 2018 MBPs, multiple SMC resets, multiple NVRAM resets, and multiple fresh macOS reinstalls did not end the KPs. It appears that perhaps some 2018 MBPs behave differently than others.

Last edited:

Man4ester

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
Hi everyone

Did you thinks about different modification macbook pro 2018 with this panic crash?

There are several modifications base, Z0V7, Z0V8, MR9T2LL this model + they are produced for different countries.

Could there be problem for example only for of the country (like US) and configuration?

I think, that will be good if who doesn’t have panic crash here will post they models for new buyers.

Reactions: pubmsu

Man4ester

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2018
Imax89, glad to hear that you have found a solution for your machine...this is great news!

I can verify, however, that for two different 2018 MBPs, multiple SMC resets, multiple NVRAM resets, and multiple fresh maxOS reinstalls did not end the KPs. It appears that perhaps some 2018 MBPs behave differently than others.

What is modification and country for these MacBook Pro?

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
Hi everyone

Did you thinks about different modification macbook pro 2018 with this panic crash?

There are several modifications base, Z0V7, Z0V8, MR9T2LL this model + they are produced for different countries.

Could there be problem for example only for of the country (like US) and configuration?

I think, that will be good if who doesn’t have panic crash here will post they models for new buyers.
Good point. I’ve talked to my local apple sellers and they are saying that all new Macs are working flawlessly (Croatian keyboard models). I am a little skeptical about their statement.
Anyhow, I am not interested at buying Cro keyboard Mac...

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Yes it'll be great if a pattern could be found - like specific country or anything else.
I doubt there's a pattern. Otherwise, the issue wouldn't have happened in MBPs purchased more than 2 months after the release day, because the affected batches would have been retired by the first month or even earlier. I think it's either software/firmware, or a random defective fabrication process that has taken too much time to diagnose (or even they are still diagnosing/tracing it).

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Mine was imported from Turkey (I took advantage of the exchange rate when TRY dropped to lowest point and saved around $200)

Mine has an English/Arabic keyboard
2.6 GHz i7
32 GB RAM
1 TB SSD
560X GPU

Never had a KP.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I got a new computer, and the issue was fixed. Still got flickers on external display on some apps that are not from an identified developer like SoundCleod.
Could you expand on the external display flickering for me? My 4k UltraFine started doing this very thing right after I updated to 14.1. It doesn't do it every time it's plugged in, and it really only seems to do it when you're typing and the screen is refreshing.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
What is modification and country for these MacBook Pro?

Both were 2018 15" core i9 MBPs CTO for USA. Since I no longer have these two 2018 MBPs (as I am still waiting, since Oct 10th, on a replacement - my 3rd 2018 MBP), I don't know the modifications. By the way, where do you find the modifications? Thanks.

Reactions: RossoNunzio
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.