Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trillion

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
Israel
Yep, T2 on the new Air...
if they do have a problem as well it is bad news for us (apple didn't fix the problem)
if they don't have a problem it is bad news for us (since we can't know why, is it a fixed version ? maybe the problem is not related to the T2 chip ?, who knows...)

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
To bad nothing happened on the iMac territory.

If the new machines stay KP free than I expect silent rollout of the current MBP's logic boards with repair. I would fancy buying a 15" i7 then.

As a matter of fact, I might consider buying Mac Mini with 6 core i5 or i7 and 16GB RAM. That would be portable enough for my needs.

Let's wait, watch and learn.

zavrelj

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2018
I've just ordered a new MBA after returning MBP 2018 14 days ago because of KPing. I'll test it with the same setup and let you know how it looks. My guess is that the problem is somehow connected to Touch Bar so maybe without Touch Bar, it will be different but then again, iMac Pro has not Touch Bar...

Reactions: eagerwu

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
10.14.1 released
3.62 GB on my MBP 2018 15” (That’s 300 MB more than the 2017 MBP update so maybe a new T2 Firmware).

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
T2 firmware version 16P1065 with today's 10.4.1 update on Mojave on my 2018 MB Pro. Didn't pay attention to what it was before today.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
I am downloading the update now. The version before i.e. - 10.4.0 was T2 Firmware Version 16P375

Let's see if this badboy makes a difference.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I haven't had any for awhile now ... 2018 13" MB Pro / Mojave. The most recent thing I did: Removed all 3rd party extensions in /Library/Extensions and re-installed the ones that I needed. I had a few in there from old TM Backups. No clue if this helped or not but like I said, no KPs since doing this ...

ETA: I shouldn't have said anything ... just got another one.
10.4.1 lets see what happens!

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
this thread is almost dead now...
What happened ?
Did anyone got his replaced and it didn't happen again ? or everyone just lives with it ?
I honestly don't know what to do...

do any of you work exclusively on windows with the mac ? can someone confirm the mac crashes as well when running windows ?

I started a ***NEW POLL***

Lets get the answers up there. Setting 10.4.1 as a new benchmark.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/november-2018-macbook-pro-bridge-os-kp-poll.2151092/

insol

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
Sadly for me still not fixed. Prior to installing 10.4.1, I was able to substantially reduce the occurrence by disabling BetterTouchTools touchbar customizations. Installed GM 10.4.1, re-enabled BTT touchbar buttons, went to bed after light usage, woke up 3 hours later to a rebooted MBP :(

Going to disable BTT touchbar again and see what happens. I could also fairly reliably get it KP when I ran a medium duty parsing script (see my previous posts here). I will run that later when I have a bit more time and see what happens. Will post results of that test here after.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I've just ordered a new MBA after returning MBP 2018 14 days ago because of KPing. I'll test it with the same setup and let you know how it looks. My guess is that the problem is somehow connected to Touch Bar so maybe without Touch Bar, it will be different but then again, iMac Pro has not Touch Bar...

The kernel panic issue began with the T2 chips in the iMac Pro. If the issue was somehow connected to the Touch Bar, it would seem that those would be immune rather than "patient zero."

insol

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
The kernel panic issue began with the T2 chips in the iMac Pro. If the issue was somehow connected to the Touch Bar, it would seem that those would be immune rather than "patient zero."

Actually no.... you can see from the quote here:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apple-t2-chip-brings-deeper-secuirty-to-macbook-pro/

"Other features provided by Apple’s T2 chip include an always-listening 'Hey Siri,' a first for MacBooks. The chip also controls both Touch ID and the Touch Bar..."

More than that, custom BTT touchbar buttons often have background updates; interaction with the touchbar (and thus T2) not in the forefront, and perhaps even while sleeping. Nonetheless the issue is not directly the touchbar but the T2 chip and/or kernel code that interacts with it.

So perhaps the lack of a touchbar (or other things that the T2 controls... ala apples suggestion to turn off boot security, disk encryption, etc.) will minimize/lower the probability of KPs related to this issue.

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apple-t2-chip-brings-deeper-secuirty-to-macbook-pro/

"Other features provided by Apple’s T2 chip include an always-listening 'Hey Siri,' a first for MacBooks. The chip also controls both Touch ID and the Touch Bar..."

More than that, custom BTT touchbar buttons often have background updates; interaction with the touchbar (and thus T2) not in the forefront, and perhaps even while sleeping. Nonetheless the issue is not directly the touchbar but the T2 chip and/or kernel code that interacts with it.

I am not sure how you are disproving my comment? If the Kernel Panic issue was in fact connected to the touch bar as zavrelj suggests, why is it that the kernel panic issue began with the iMac Pro, which of course has no touch bar to be related to the issue?

insol

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018

So perhaps the lack of a touchbar (or other things that the T2 controls... ala apples suggestion to turn off boot security, disk encryption, etc.) will minimize/lower the probability of KPs related to this issue.

Hahahaha.... My MPB KP-rebooted moments after I typed this message. Turning off BTT touchbar right now. Will report back after my next KP-reboot, using this post to mark timing.
[doublepost=1541075162][/doublepost]
I am not sure how you are disproving my comment? If the Kernel Panic issue was in fact connected to the touch bar as zavrelj suggests, why is it that the kernel panic issue began with the iMac Pro, which of course has no touch bar to be related to the issue?

I think I am mostly agreeing with you. Perhaps just clarifying that its the use of the T2 chip and/or its related kernel code that causes it. More code/features that use T2 = higher probability/occurrences of KP. Devices with less of those features, or activation of them in usage, will have fewer KPs. It's the combination of features and the existence of the T2 chip.

So, patient zero definitely is the first machine with the T2 that had OS features that used it. As features were added to subsequent "patients," problems became worse/more frequent (for those that used them). If features are removed or don't exist (e.g. new MBA without a touchbar), in theory the problem may still be there, just less likely/frequent to show itself.

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hahahaha..../ My MPB KP-rebooted moments after I typed this message. Turning off BTT touchbar right now. Will report back after my next KP-reboot, using this post to mark timing.
[doublepost=1541075162][/doublepost]

I think I am mostly agreeing with you. Perhaps just clarifying that it the use of the T2 chip and/or its related kernel code that causes it. More code/features that use T2 = higher probability/occurrences of KP. Devices with less of those features, or activation of them in usage, will have fewer KPs. It's the combination of features and the existence of the T2 chip.

So, patient zero definitely is the first machine with the T2 that had OS features that used it. As features were added to subsequent "patients," problems became worse/more frequent (for those that used them).

Gotcha. I don't disagree that the more tasks and layers you add to the T2 chip, the more likely it is to panic. But to be honest I am not sure if the issues are more common/frequent with the MBP or if they just are more front and center because the MBP significantly outsells the iMac Pro. The iMac Pro is definitely more of a niche purchase, but it does illustrate that even without the presense of a touchbar, it is not immune from the kernel panics. I am not sure that a model without a touchbar will necessarily be a predictor of whether or not it will panic, since the iMac Pro still has yet to be resolved to the best of my knowledge.

marchellow

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
After upgrading to 10.14.1 yesterday, I just had a reboot. I'm not sure if it was a kernel panic, because there was no kernel panic screen, no crash report, the screen just turned black and it restarted. The last one I encountered was approx. 2 weeks ago. I'm also using BTT. There are some entries in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports from the time around the reboot, but it is mostly gibberish. I also checked sensor data from iStat menus. They all stopped gathering data 5 minutes before the reboot, 1st one is CPU temp, 2nd is SSD temp, 3rd one is fan speed. All sensor data shows this 5 minute gap. I always put the machine to sleep by closing the lid, I don't know if it has anything to do with this. I don't use any peripherals either. (I'm using the '13 base model with touchbar from 2018)
Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 14.41.02.png
Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 14.41.12.png
Screenshot 2018-11-01 at 14.41.21.png

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
But to be honest I am not sure if the issues are more common/frequent with the MBP or if they just are more front and center because the MBP significantly outsells the iMac Pro. The iMac Pro is definitely more of a niche purchase, but it does illustrate that even without the presense of a touchbar, it is not immune from the kernel panics.

I agree with that logic and so far my one and only T2 KP was in the last month on my iMP. So far both my MBPs have been fine but there are considerably more MBPs out there and not all is well.

Regarding the niche status of the iMP, well as the regular iMac has not been updated and the price for the high-spec version remains rather large my move to a refurb iMP seemed to offer the best value. Given the march upwards in prices with the latest Macs the price of the basic iMP doesn't look as bad as it once did, albeit for the wrong reasons.

thermobee

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
Hello everyone,

Can I clarify that the KP issues that people are referring to here are the same as the issues I am experiencing?

Are people having their MBPs reboot while they are asleep or are their MBPs rebooting upon wakeup after a deep sleep?

I have a few 2018 15inch MBPs that are experiencing the latter and its driving me nuts.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Regarding the niche status of the iMP, well as the regular iMac has not been updated and the price for the high-spec version remains rather large my move to a refurb iMP seemed to offer the best value. Given the march upwards in prices with the latest Macs the price of the basic iMP doesn't look as bad as it once did, albeit for the wrong reasons.

I agree. I only intended "niche status" to mean that not everyone needs the specs that the iMP has to offer and therefore it doesn't sell nearly as well as even the non-pro iMac, let alone the MBP. As a result, we don't really hear all that much about the iMP. The same percentage of KPing iMP's may be less or may be exactly in-line with the percentage of MBP's, but Apple has sold far fewer iMP units, which makes it hard to determine.

What I think would be interesting is if the MBA and Mac Mini do not KP at all, while the iMP and MBP units sold to date do. Would that then indicate that Apple has silently rolled out an updated version of the T2?

pulch

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2018
Yep still not fixed. Just KP'ed on a 2018 13 inch tbMBP with 10.14.1

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar later this week. Has anyone had success swapping out for a new machine? Or does Apple Support try to diagnose it as a hardware issue and idk try to get you to swap the logic board as a solution? I have AppleCare, but it has been about 2.5 months since I purchased this.

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
I agree. I only intended "niche status" to mean that not everyone needs the specs that the iMP has to offer and therefore it doesn't sell nearly as well as even the non-pro iMac, let alone the MBP. As a result, we don't really hear all that much about the iMP. The same percentage of KPing iMP's may be less or may be exactly in-line with the percentage of MBP's, but Apple has sold far fewer iMP units, which makes it hard to determine.

What I think would be interesting is if the MBA and Mac Mini do not KP at all, while the iMP and MBP units sold to date do. Would that then indicate that Apple has silently rolled out an updated version of the T2?
I do have a feeling that this is very probable scenario.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Hello everyone,

Can I clarify that the KP issues that people are referring to here are the same as the issues I am experiencing?

Are people having their MBPs reboot while they are asleep or are their MBPs rebooting upon wakeup after a deep sleep?

I have a few 2018 15inch MBPs that are experiencing the latter and its driving me nuts.
how do you know your mac reboot while asleep?

thermobee

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2018
how do you know your mac reboot while asleep?
I dont. The machines I am having issues with have a different issue. After a deep sleep, they ask for a login, it starts the loading process and right before it finishes it goes into a full reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.