Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
two options, all of them are broken or all of them that were built before xx/xx/2018 are broken.
too many customers had their computers replaced again and again without any change (including me).
on my 2nd unit now and it crashes again and again...
its not before a certain date or else mine that ive had since day 1 would have had some kind of problem

ales876

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2016
Germany
My machine turned last week on Friday 3 weeks old. No KP at all, none of the discusses issue here, FileVault is on and I have not turned it off, expect for forced restarts. I don't use it as a working machine though. When I got it, it had HS on, I made a clean install with mojave. Put it always to sleep with closing lid.

I almost don't have any additional apps expect 2 or 3.

Hope that helps somehow.

Reactions: unlogic

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
I just got a KP on the last beta of Mojave 10.14.1.

I was just looking a show on IINA. Nothing plug in.
MacBook Pro 13" 2018 bought 1 month ago.
Do you mean beta 4 with 16P51061a firmware? If affirmative, then it seems Apple engineers are as confused as we are, because not getting it fixed after so many tries is telling this issue is non-obvious.

BTW, what kind of report did you get for the crash? Does it mention BridgeOS?

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
Mojave update...

Since I'm waiting for my second replacement order (for a third 2018 MBP), I decided to make use of the time by installing Mojave. All of my earlier tests and issues were performed on HS+SU2. So yesterday I erased the SSD and installed 10.14, and an hour later the 2018 MBP experienced its first WiFi connection issue under Mojave: no ping of apple.com, no Safari Internet, and the Mac App Store failed to download several updates after successfully downloading several others. During this WiFi disconnect, the 2018 MBP's Network Pane still said that it was connected to my WiFi router and had the correct DNS servers. And while the 2018 MBP was experiencing its WiFi connection issue, all of my other computers (Macs, PCs, iPhones, etc.) still maintained WiFi Internet connections through the same WiFi router as the 2018 MBP. This is a repeat of the WiFi connection issues that I found for this machine under HS+SU2. This is discouraging.

After reading this thread's posts on the Mojave Betas, I'm not sure it's worth my time to try Beta 4. I think I'll just wait for the replacement 2018 MBP.

In summary, my second 2018 MBP experienced almost immediate WiFi connection issues under Mojave 10.14.

Broslowski

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018
solouki - in history, those Wifi issues was caused by something connected to USB port. I know it sounds crazy but i was able to reproduce it back in Sierra times every time with some USB devices.
you can google many problems with this - totally crazy.

In general - i really hate Apples error handling - everything always look ok even it is not - you can not ping literary anything - network diagnostic will be ok, Bluetooth is hell as well, very similar problems when devices appear to be connected even it is turned off for several minutes.. this is why windows will be always n.1 in my eyes - they ALWAYS show proper error message when something goes wrong. ALWAYS and immediately. It make diagnostics much easier.

If possible try out 5GHz network

Last edited:
Reactions: solouki

Vilfredo

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
France
Do you mean beta 4 with 16P51061a firmware? If affirmative, then it seems Apple engineers are as confused as we are, because not getting it fixed after so many tries is telling this issue is non-obvious.

BTW, what kind of report did you get for the crash? Does it mention BridgeOS?

Here is my actual version, last beta I've got at the end of last week.
Capture d’écran 2018-10-22 à 18.50.35.png

Code:
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.0 (16P51061a)","timestamp":"2018-10-21 18:35:04.16 +0000","incident_id":"CCFECF48-59E7-480D-AAE8-ABB809DF2AC8"}
{
  "build" : "Bridge OS 3.0 (16P51061a)",

Here is the beginning of the crash report. Yes, BridgeOS.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
solouki - in history, those Wifi issues was caused by something connected to USB port. I know it sounds crazy but i was able to reproduce it back in Sierra times every time with some USB devices.
you can google many problems with this - totally crazy.

In general - i really hate Apples error handling - everything always look ok even it is not - you can not ping literary anything - network diagnostic will be ok, Bluetooth is hell as well, very similar problems when devices appear to be connected even it is turned off for several minutes.. this is why windows will be always n.1 in my eyes - they ALWAYS show proper error message when something goes wrong. ALWAYS and immediately. It make diagnostics much easier.

If possible try out 5GHz network

Thanks for the info and suggestions...

Broslowski, thanks for the informative video link. It turns out that my WiFi connection issues are not "Request timeout"s as shown in this video, rather mine are "cannot resolve: ... unknown host" errors. Also, my usual setup only has one MBP T3 port being used, and it is attached to an eGPU. I'm not using any USB-C-to-USB-A dongles, in other words. In addition, I've also seen the WiFi connection problems ("unknown host") even when the 2018 MBPs were on battery power with no T3 ports in use at all.

Nevertheless, I'm very glad you pointed this video out to me, as I will keep this in mind for future reference. Thanks.

P.S. Also, I always use a 5GHz network, mostly because of its 80MHz bandwidth but also because of the relative paucity of competing 5GHz routers in the local neighborhood.

Last edited:

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Thanks for the info and suggestions...

Broslowski, thanks for the informative video link. It turns out that my WiFi connection issues are not "Request timeout"s as shown in this video, rather mine are "cannot resolve: ... unknown host" errors. Also, my usual setup only has one MBP T3 port being used, and it is attached to an eGPU. I'm not using any USB-C-to-USB-A dongles, in other words. In addition, I've also seen the WiFi connection problems ("unknown host") even when the 2018 MBPs were on battery power with no T3 ports in use at all.

Nevertheless, I'm very glad you pointed this video out to me, as I will keep this in mind for future reference. Thanks.

P.S. Also, I always use a 5GHz network, mostly because of its 80MHz bandwidth but also because of the relative paucity of competing 5GHz routers in the local neighborhood.
You tried a different WAP? New Apple WiFi chips can be finicky. Try a different router and see if issues persist.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
You tried a different WAP? New Apple WiFi chips can be finicky. Try a different router and see if issues persist.

Thanks for the suggestion RumorConsumer, and I have tried two other non-Apple WiFi routers. These WiFi problems, at least in my hands, appear to be restricted to the 2018 MBPs.

singhshary

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
In my opinion...

Now I may be completely wrong, but in my opinion, stemming from my experiences and considerable time tracking down problems on two 2018 MBPs, I believe the most likely explanation is a T2 chip (hardware) problem, with the second most likely problem being firmware code problems, and then followed by macOS kernel problems. I do not believe that these problems are related to third-party software, since they occur even when no third-party software has been installed on the 2018 MBPs. Rather, the underlying MBP problems may just be manifested when running third-party software (in other words, 3rd party software is not to blame, but it may very well demonstrate the underlying problems). Further evidence may change my mind, but for now this is what I consider are the most likely scenarios. (By the way, these are random and often intermittent problems, so they are "bear-hard" difficult to track down. They don't occur all the time, and nothing, at least in my hands, causes these problems consistently.)

If this is a hardware problem, then it might be fixable by a firmware update, and perhaps even potentially by a macOS kernel update, or both combined. For instance, if an offending T2 chip-supplied service is causing these problems, then a firmware update may be able to eliminate this service from the T2 chip and move it over to the macOS (Intel CPU). The problem is that the T2 chip has taken over so many functions of the MBP, from control of WiFi, bluetooth, touch bar, "Hey Siri", encryption/decryption of the SSD, error logging, fingerprint authorization, shutdown/secure boot, SMC, etc., that it may be difficult to impossible to simply switch off the functions of the T2 chip and move them over to the macOS running on the CPU. This may be why Apple has taken so long to "fix" these problems (it is my understanding that many of these problems originally were found on the iMac Pros last January, and apparently they have not yet been solved on the iMac Pros -- and the iMac Pros were the first Apple computers to use the T2 chips, the 2018 MBPs are the second computer to use the T2, and both have these random KP problems).

Brief descriptions FYI:
kernel = the basic code (modules, subroutines, drivers, program code) that controls and allocates the hardware resources of the computer (the RAM memory, the SSD disk, the bus to transfer data, the ports such as Thunderbolt 3, the network such as WiFi, device drivers, etc.) to different tasks, both root tasks as well as user tasks. The kernel software executes on the Intel CPU of the computer.

bridge = the kernel code (bridgeOS) that executes on the Apple T2 chip (its own processor). This T2 chip has taken over certain services from the Intel CPU and macOS, such as fingerprint authorization, WiFi, bluetooth, shutdown/secure boot, error logging, "Hey Siri", SSD encryption/decryption, SMC, etc. I'm of the opinion, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but just because the first line of the panic report says bridgeOS does not necessarily mean that it was the bridgeOS that panic-ed, it may be that the bridgeOS attempts to report all kernel panics, including those of the macOS. I personally investigated several of my KPs and found that the panic-ed thread ID lead back to "AppleSMC", implying that these panics were caused by the SMC which indeed is being run by the T2 chip, but this doesn't mean that all kernel panics are necessarily caused by the SMC or the T2 chip. (I only traced four of my KPs, but all four did lead to the AppleSMC -- perhaps all kernel panics pass through the SMC code?)
[doublepost=1540239119][/doublepost]
For me, the first KP occured on the very first day with no 3rd party software installed on the machine. I was watching videos on itunes and system crashed twice in 6 hours. I shared the logs with the apple support team and they have no clue on whats wrong with the machine.

Reactions: content and solouki

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Thanks for the suggestion RumorConsumer, and I have tried two other non-Apple WiFi routers. These WiFi problems, at least in my hands, appear to be restricted to the 2018 MBPs.
Ok great to know. As somebody who often has the latest hardware from Apple WiFi usually has some quirks until about 2-3 OS revisions down the line. Sorry to hear this wasn’t resolved.

BlueseaApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
KP Bridge 3.0:

1st MBP 2018 i7 temp, fan and KPs issues
But hardware tested and passed at an authorised Apple support centre!
Apple store kindly reordered a new machine
2nd MBP 2018 i7 also had recurrring KPs
Reviewed with Apple Technicians, no solution
MBP refunded
I’ll stick with my 2015 retina which is a solid machine in comparison. Frankly the 2018s are a disaster in my opinion!!
Apple did the right thing and I applaud them for it; thank you Apple

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Not a single issue here with WiFi and I have a USB 3.0 HDD connected almost all the time and connect my Xbox controller too when gaming. I would notice any latency issues when online gaming but I got none.

davidmcc669

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
I've got the same crashing every night issue with a 2-month-old 2018 MBP using USB ports for an external monitor and mouse. Very frustrating as I don't have any down time to take it in or swap it.

FlushedNotRushed

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2018
When someone's current MBP has an error / KP / BridgeOS and needs to replaced, how does Apple go about this? For example, do you get to keep the laptop until the replacement comes in? Or do you turn in the laptop and you have to wait a certain amount of days until you get the new / refurbished unit? Do you just walk into an Apple Store and they will exchange it on site?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm using a base 2015 13" and planning to upgrade to a 2018 13" 16GB due to the quad-core / decent pricing for it ($1880 brand new out the door). It's just that the 2018 13" will be my main laptop and I can't deal with it crashing / waiting a period of time without a laptop due to being a software engineer.

Thanks!

davidmcc669

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
I talked with apple support a few weeks ago when this started happening - been saving crash reports - they said that they will send and overnight box for the computer or to go to the apple store for them to check it. No loaners. You are SOL until they wipe clean and tell you it works for them or replace it with a new one.

Last edited:
Reactions: SDColorado

beageek

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
When someone's current MBP has an error / KP / BridgeOS and needs to replaced, how does Apple go about this? For example, do you get to keep the laptop until the replacement comes in? Or do you turn in the laptop and you have to wait a certain amount of days until you get the new / refurbished unit? Do you just walk into an Apple Store and they will exchange it on site?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm using a base 2015 13" and planning to upgrade to a 2018 13" 16GB due to the quad-core / decent pricing for it ($1880 brand new out the door). It's just that the 2018 13" will be my main laptop and I can't deal with it crashing / waiting a period of time without a laptop due to being a software engineer.

Thanks!

That was a tough call to me as well. For those who are pursuing 13'', definitely want to get a 2018 MBP with quad core, Especially, for some heavy stuff as 'pro'. I was one of them. I don't know you saw my threads here, I replaced it twice and all three had KPs. Even though, 2018 MBP 13'' is a decent machine. I really couldn't stand irregular KPs and freezing all functions including touch pad while just internet surfing without no USB-C connections. Doesn't matter it's a hardware or software problem. The thing is it's not stable. I'm downgrading to 2017 MBP 13'' with touch bar. I know it's ridiculous and not worth it at all but I have no better option for 13''. For the record, 2017 MBP without Touch bar has only one fan which is horrible cooling system with crazy noise. It's not even a 'pro' laptop. Personally, it's worst period to buy a MBP.

Good luck!

Last edited:

davidmcc669

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
So far my MBP only crashes when peripherals are left plugged in overnight. I've got the LG 27" Ultra Display monitor and as I stated, a breakout USB 2 device for a mouse, keyboard and Apogee One. If I unplug everything at night before sleeping it seems not to crash. This is tedious and not optimal so hopefully, they work it out.

FlushedNotRushed

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2018
That was a tough call to me as well. For those who are pursuing 13'', definitely want to get a 2018 MBP with quad core, Especially, for some heavy stuff as 'pro'. I was one of them. I don't know you saw my threads here, I replaced it twice and all three had KPs. Even though, 2018 MBP 13'' is a decent machine. I really couldn't stand irregular KPs and freezing all functions including touch pad while just internet surfing without no USB-C connections. Doesn't matter it's a hardware or software problem. The thing is it's not stable. I'm downgrading to 2017 MBP 13'' with touch bar. I know it's ridiculous and not worth it at all but I have no better option for 13''. For the record, 2017 MBP without Touch bar has only one fan which is horrible cooling system with crazy noise. It's not even a 'pro' laptop. Personally, it's worst period to buy a MBP.

Good luck!
That's funny. I'm actually looking into getting the 2017 15" MBP TB instead of the 2018 13". This is due to avoiding the BridgeOS / throttling issue the 2018 is dealing with right now.

On the downside, we have to worry about our keyboards failing. But from what I've been reading, the 2018s are still dealing with the KB failures as well. So its an iffy situation.

Coder007

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2018
If you need a "loaner" MBP, just buy one they have in stock and then return it within 14 days.

Underhanded a little, maybe. But it makes Apple pay for it's mistakes.

drdaz

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
Here is my actual version, last beta I've got at the end of last week.
View attachment 797402
Code:
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.0 (16P51061a)","timestamp":"2018-10-21 18:35:04.16 +0000","incident_id":"CCFECF48-59E7-480D-AAE8-ABB809DF2AC8"}
{
  "build" : "Bridge OS 3.0 (16P51061a)",

Here is the beginning of the crash report. Yes, BridgeOS.

This crash isn't caused by BridgeOS. It's a macOS kernel panic, you can see where it says 'caused_by'. *All* kernel panics are reported by BridgeOS now; it's how the new machines work.

So this has nothing to do with the original issue.

Apple should probably hide 'BridgeOS' in the panic log, because the fact that it says 'BridgeOS' means literally nothing. Yet it's all people see it seems.

Ael_MR

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2018
This is now happening every time I leave the lid closed overnight. I am extremely disappointed that I have no recourse at this point except to sell the machine at a loss. :(

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.0 (16P375)","timestamp":"2018-10-22 12:32:52.79 +0000","incident_id":"2FFB5DF2-8CBA-4782-B2E0-71DC7404D3BC"}
{
"binaryImages" : [
[
"834fd638-ceb9-5664-a35e-b86dc49df634",
"U"
],
[
"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000",
"A"
],
[
"f1e4e7eb-d326-3fe5-b9d5-78a7ef251f3e",
"S"
]
],
"build" : "Bridge OS 3.0 (16P375)",
"crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",
"date" : "2018-10-22 12:32:52.60 +0000",
"incident" : "2FFB5DF2-8CBA-4782-B2E0-71DC7404D3BC",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.0.0: Thu Sep 6 18:24:30 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4903.201.2~72\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",
"macOSOtherString" : "\n** In Memory Panic Stackshot Succeeded ** Bytes Traced 545728 **\n",
"macOSPanicFlags" : "0x4",
"macOSPanicString" : "panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800ccc313f): UUID: 5A2DBE9F-4C3A-41A3-9A23-450F18B6BF28\nStackshot Reason: Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while creating hibernation file or while calling rootDomain's clients about upcoming rootDomain's state changes. Thread 0x356b6.\nBacktracing specified thread\nBacktrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.