Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleks1

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
That is very convincing for the folks who live in a reasonable reach of the Apple Store.
I still do not want to take the risk of having to book a flight just because someone is selling a computer that did not pass QC before being packed.
Makes me even more mad at Apple as they were not able to fab a test software that would allow QC to fail the machines that are clearly prone to KPing.

Yes, it’s quite inexcusable from Apple both in terms of QC and in terms support, since they are not acknowledging the issue and not replacing problematic batches in an easier and prompt way (assuming it really is a hw failure on only some batches, which is what appears to be at this point).
But I’m kind of happy that they gave me a new one after 3 months, it also feels a lot snappier some how - I would get a lot “spinning wheel of death” before.

Reactions: iZeljko

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
Screenshot_2018-09-30_at_18.52.10.jpg
Just had my third KP on Mojave. The other two happened during sleep, this is the first during usage.

Getting pretty sick of this. It didn't even save a crash log so had to take a screenshot.
Yeah. My last unplanned reboot didn't create any sort of crash log.

Which made me think the "fix" from Apple was just to hide the problem, kinda like slowing down a phone with a defective battery.

bab5139

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2016
For what it's worth, I've let my 2018 MBP sleep for long periods while running Windows (boot camp) and haven't had any crashes, but all of my work is in macOS so admittedly I haven't spent _too_ much time testing in Windows.

Also, I never had _any_ crashes during regular use--only during sleep, and only with external displays connected and in power save mode. Nowadays I just turn the displays power off at the switch, leave them connected, and I have no problems--16d uptime at the moment. In any case, it all still smells like driver stack to me...

I've been on work trip to so no access to external monitor, only external power. Only a bluetooth mouse connected. Crashes every night on wake, and just got my first running bridge os error yesterday. External devices might help but isn't the source.

dibydrams

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2018
Paris
Hey everyone!

I have the new custom 2018 MBP i7 2.7GHz (Turbo Boost 4.5GHz) with Touch Bar 16 GB RAM 512GB ROM and as all of you guys I often experience KP because of Bridge OS 3.0 (16P375) while doing random basic things: the first time I was just playing music on iTunes, then watching a video on VLC, then when the MBP was closed, then working on Excel, then writing an email on Outlook... And last time, today, it happened during a business call on Skype. Very very annoying as you guess...

I've been on Mojave since the beginning, first on beta, then on the final release. I had to restore macOS X one time as it has crashed during a Mojave update (the GM or final release I think, near the end of September) and then opening a session became impossible. KP occur with nothing plugged in or just with the official cable and charger plugged in.

I'm going to ask for a replacement to Apple. What to say exactly to the genious or senior advisor as they seem to do not know anything about it or try to make us believe it?

That poll (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ernel-panic’d-w-bridge-os-error-poll.2144620/) is very worrying...

Thank you.

(Excuse my poor English level, I'm French :D)

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
I'm going to ask for a replacement to Apple. What to say exactly to the genious or senior advisor as they seem to do not know anything about it or try to make us believe it?

Say it's a widely known issue. The advisor to me also said it's a known issue, so it's a pretty easy way to see if they're lying. I would assume they use some sort of centralised system to keep track of issues.

Reactions: SDColorado

dibydrams

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2018
Paris
Say it's a widely known issue. The advisor to me also said it's a known issue, so it's a pretty easy way to see if they're lying. I would assume they use some sort of centralised system to keep track of issues.

I've just spent half an hour with a senior advisor, he asked me to make a sysdiagnose with their Capture Data app then I've had to send them. He will come back to me next Monday morning, he said he can't garantee me a replacement if it's a hardware problem, even if I have it since day 1...

For a more than 2K euros computer, it hurts. :(

Last edited:

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
I've just spent half an hour with a senior advisor, he asked me to make a sysdiagnose with their Capture Data app then I've had to send them. He will come back to me next Monday morning, he said he can't garantee me a replacement if it's a hardware problem, even if I have it since day 0...

Keep pushing them, they'll cave in eventually. Don't get angry with him but be sure to mention your displeasure and tell it's ridiculous for a 2k euro computer. If you do it well you might even get a full refund like I had, replacing the machine likely won't do anything.

aleks1

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Further update:
SAME PROBLEM ON SECOND REPLACEMENT

After replacing my MBP 2.7 high end, I still get KPs with the new replacement, another MBP.
I’m thinking it might be a very common issue at this point... luckily they gave me the option to return it after the replacement. I think I will at this point. I know it’s sad but I don’t think my high end $4k mbp should shut off on itself every now and then.

Last edited:

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
By following some comments in this thread, it seems that in several cases the frequency of KPs increased with time (they had no KPs at the beginning, then the first KP, and then they became more common). Has anybody experienced the opposite (getting them less frequently with time) ?

I'm asking because, if it's true that frequency tends to increase, maybe we would be facing some kind of electronic damage that gets worse with time.

But again, just wondering, because if Apple says nothing conclusive, everything is just a guess.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
The issue is that its affecting iMac users, and the problem has been improved for some people via software updates. I'm not sold that its defective hardware, but that doesn't explain why my MBP is stable,yet other people's MBP crashes. That does point to hardware, but apple seems convinced its software.

tl;dr I don't know ;)

I fell victim to those 'famous last words' but both my MBPs remain faultless. It took an iMac purchase to get my first T2-induced KP. I find it hard to believe that it is a hardware issue though. So far the iMac has done fine with sequential video encoding and other CPU and GPU intensive tasks. The KP happened when under zero stress whilst transitioning from sleep to awake.

aleks1

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
By following some comments in this thread, it seems that in several cases the frequency of KPs increased with time (they had no KPs at the beginning, then the first KP, and then they became more common). Has anybody experienced the opposite (getting them less frequently with time) ?

I'm asking because, if it's true that frequency tends to increase, maybe we would be facing some kind of electronic damage that gets worse with time.

But again, just wondering, because if Apple says nothing conclusive, everything is just a guess.

I experienced exactly that: frequency increased over time.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
sleep to awake.
I've not read the entire thread, but the commonalty it seems is the computer us failing when going into a sleep state. Perhaps its hits others while working, but from what I've read, its quite evident when the computer is in sleep or waking up. Again, since my Mac has been stable, its not a topic that I follow closely or done any indepth research. I may be speaking out of turn because of that.

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
Further update:
SAME PROBLEM ON SECOND REPLACEMENT

After replacing my MBP 2.7 high end, I still get KPs with the new replacement, another MBP.
I’m thinking it might be a very common issue at this point... luckily they gave me the option to return it after the replacement. I think I will at this point. I know it’s sad but I don’t think my high end $4k mbp should shut off on itself every now and then.
That exactly is the whole point.

I think Steve Jobs is turning in his grave because of the 2018 MBP.

Reactions: g75d3 and Queen6

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I've just spent half an hour with a senior advisor, he asked me to make a sysdiagnose with their Capture Data app then I've had to send them. He will come back to me next Monday morning, he said he can't garantee me a replacement if it's a hardware problem, even if I have it since day 0...

Europe has much better consumer protection, so don't give up. Be polite and very firm...

if the first advisor doesn't help you, ask to speak to a 2nd or 3rd tier advisor and simply keep insisting this isn't an adequate response under European consumer protection laws.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017

At some point I'll describe my experiences with two 2018 MBPs which will touch on this topic, among others...

dibydrams

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2018
Paris
I experienced exactly that: frequency increased over time.

Same here.
[doublepost=1539903556][/doublepost]
Keep pushing them, they'll cave in eventually. Don't get angry with him but be sure to mention your displeasure and tell it's ridiculous for a 2k euro computer. If you do it well you might even get a full refund like I had, replacing the machine likely won't do anything.

Europe has much better consumer protection, so don't give up. Be polite and very firm...

if the first advisor doesn't help you, ask to speak to a 2nd or 3rd tier advisor and simply keep insisting this isn't an adequate response under European consumer protection laws.

I'm always calm and very polite. :)

Apple already knows what it costs to refuse a French his European guaranty.

Let's see their answer Monday morning, I will update you guys, hope I will have some good news to share with you.

Last edited:

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
Same here.
[doublepost=1539903556][/doublepost]

I'm always calm and very polite. :)

Apple already knows what it costs to refuse a French his European guaranty.

Let's see their answer Monday morning, I will update you guys, hope I will have some good news to share with you.
Uh, that guy must have had some Kernel Panics that morning...
Sad to see it escalated to the level of destruction. But who do you blame? 3650€ for a 15”MBP 2,6GHz and then all Apple has to offer is a OS reload?

I do not need that.

wesStyle

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2018
Installed Open Beta 4. T2 firmware was updated yet again and now has a version of
16P51061a. I haven't got any KPs since the last one on Open Beta 3 10 days ago too.

Reactions: Saeloe and iZeljko

Peanutheadxx

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2018
Installed Open Beta 4. T2 firmware was updated yet again and now has a version of
16P51061a. I haven't got any KPs since the last one on Open Beta 3 10 days ago too.
I just got my first one today. How sure are you that the beta update was what fixed it?

apressas

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2018
So do you guys believe there are chances of hardware damage from these kernel panics (since I understand they happen because the T2 looses communication and effectively disconnects the SSD) or is it something that would just (worse case) cause data corruption / loss?

Trillion

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
Israel
So just had my first KP and my 2nd machine after an AASP replaced it for the bridgeOS problem.
so to summarize it happens on 2 different machines (makes it seem like software problem).
It happens on a fresh install with SU2 and latest OS version (makes it seem like a hardware problem).
Basically I am out of ideas to why this keeps happening.
One correlation I have is that it always happens when I am using audio (listing to music using iTunes or YouTube).
Does anyone have a machine that doesn't crash after say a month ?
are they all broken or only a large part of them ?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
So just had my first KP and my 2nd machine after an AASP replaced it for the bridgeOS problem.
so to summarize it happens on 2 different machines (makes it seem like software problem).
It happens on a fresh install with SU2 and latest OS version (makes it seem like a hardware problem).
Basically I am out of ideas to why this keeps happening.
One correlation I have is that it always happens when I am using audio (listing to music using iTunes or YouTube).
Does anyone have a machine that doesn't crash after say a month ?
are they all broken or only a large part of them ?
so when you are watching on youtube always happens? after how much time or how do you reproduce it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.