Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beageek

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
After last shot which is third replacement, still having KP issue on the latest official Mojave. Therefore, no longer interested in 2018 MBP line for me.

I personally think this is a critical hardware problem which Apple never wants to admit in public. Also I don't like the way they are dealing with the issue. Keep shutting their mouths, and updating T2 chip firmware which hasn't been fixed yet from iMac with T2 chip and is one of 2018 MBP's new feature that Apple promotes on the website. This is funny because many Apple technicians from Genius Bar, recommend disable all features related to T2 chip to prevent KP. (what a shame)

I am not 100% sure how many users are suffering this issue but guess that most of 2018 MBP users have no problems and are very satisfied with their product. (they might encounter it later or never with fine T2 chip if this is a hardware issue)

I saw some comments on Reddit, they think we are whining or anti-Apple users. But that's absolutely not true. It's just you got lucky but we aren't. To be honest, I really enjoyed my 2018 13'' MBP with quad core. (both 2017 13'' touch bar and non touch bar are dual core). It works like a charm, but that's it... Zero value with unstable system to me.

No regrets returning it after trying three 2018 MBPs. (all KP, and last one had even screen glitching when I open the lid from sleep mode)

I will drop by here to check how it goes sometimes and Hope you guys find the solution and enjoy KP free 2018 MBP.

ales876

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2016
Germany
After last shot which is third replacement, still having KP issue on the latest official Mojave. Therefore, no longer interested in 2018 MBP line for me.

I personally think this is a critical hardware problem which Apple never wants to admit in public. Also I don't like the way they are dealing with the issue. Keep shutting their mouths, and updating T2 chip firmware which hasn't been fixed yet from iMac with T2 chip and is one of 2018 MBP's new feature that Apple promotes on the website. This is funny because many Apple technicians from Genius Bar, recommend disable all features related to T2 chip to prevent KP. (what a shame)

I am not 100% sure how many users are suffering this issue but guess that most of 2018 MBP users have no problems and are very satisfied with their product. (they might encounter it later or never with fine T2 chip if this is a hardware issue)

I saw some comments on Reddit, they think we are whining or anti-Apple users. But that's absolutely not true. It's just you got lucky but we aren't. To be honest, I really enjoyed my 2018 13'' MBP with quad core. (both 2017 13'' touch bar and non touch bar are dual core). It works like a charm, but that's it... Zero value with unstable system to me.

No regrets returning it after trying three 2018 MBPs. (all KP, and last one had even screen glitching when I open the lid from sleep mode)

I will drop by here to check how it goes sometimes and Hope you guys find the solution and enjoy KP free 2018 MBP.

Totally understandable, after the third time I would also look for something else (maybe an older model or so). Sad to read that it seems that they care. I agree with you that most of the users (me included) are fine, but that does not help you. Let's see what the future brings.

Reactions: beageek

aleks1

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
My update is that finally Apple is holding on to my MBP for repairs and acknowledging the process. I had to insist a lot. Unfortunately it seems there is no way to “repair” it except changing mbp until you find a “good” one that doesn’t KP - if they exist.
We’ll see what happens, so far it’s been 4 days of repair time.

Reactions: beageek

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea

Fear of this issue is what kept me from purchasing one earlier and as I've mentioned it many times before - I live very far away from the Appel store where I plan on purchasing the machine.
I have an excellent project that would benefit from having a new machine, but I can not put my life on hold if I get the faulty unit and last that I need is to fly out to have my Mac fixed...

Thank you fo sharing your experience with us. I am definitely cancelling my purchase and I'm waiting for official repair before reconsidering it again.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
This topic is getting really weird. I don’t understand what’s going on with this issue. I didn’t get a KP yet on my 2018 MBP, though, but as I said I shutdown instead of making it sleep, so maybe my case doesn’t count.

Reactions: SDColorado

aleks1

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
This topic is getting really weird. I don’t understand what’s going on with this issue. I didn’t get a KP yet on my 2018 MBP, though, but as I said I shutdown instead of making it sleep, so maybe my case doesn’t count.

I used to shut down always too. I think you just got lucky and have a the “non-KP” mbp, or you maybe you will experience KP in the future. For both of us, I wish you the first option; if it’s a hardware problem only on some machines there is hope for us to get replacements.

pulch

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2018

Yeah I shutdown too instead of sleeping and still have had a KP during regular use (not a heavy load at all).

If you want to check if you've had a KP while you weren't at your computer, you can go to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge/. If you see a file panic-full-.... .ips, that was an instance of a KP associated with the BridgeOS.

lokomoto

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2018
I just experienced this crash on MB 13 2018 with Mojave 10.14. Before that, it froze twice when I was watching movie... This is seriously terrible, my old Windows machine was more reliable than this.

RossoNunzio

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2017
I just experienced this crash on MB 13 2018 with Mojave 10.14. Before that, it froze twice when I was watching movie... This is seriously terrible, my old Windows machine was more reliable than this.
If you have freeze repeatedly, contact the support, see what suggestions you give if it continues so insistently you would need to request the replacement because asking many users on Youtube do not have these problems so they may be defective lots at this point. I hope you solve :)

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I wish we had a better understanding as to why many new Macs are not suffering. The three T2-equipped Macs we own have all been rock-solid (2x MBP, 1x iMP). I keep reading this thread and expecting everything to start crashing around me.

That’s great to know

Ok, I knew that would jinx it - just had my new iMP crash on me. It went to sleep with just Moneydance and iMessages as the only open apps and never woke-up. Looked at the logs and there was system activity after the crash but it did a full boot when trying to wake from its slumber.

Crash Report submitted, top lines:

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"shutdown","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.0 (16P375)","timestamp":"2018-10-12 11:16:58.76 +0000","incident_id":"379D8F5F-FA2D-4656-B683-B6131DD886E2"}
{
"build" : "Bridge OS 3.0 (16P375)",
"product" : "iBridge2,1",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.0.0: Thu Sep 6 18:24:30 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4903.201.2~72\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",
"incident" : "379D8F5F-FA2D-4656-B683-B6131DD886E2",
"crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",
"date" : "2018-10-12 11:16:58.69 +0000",
"panicString" : "panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffffff01c4269f4): x86 global reset detected\nDebugger message: panic\nMemory ID: 0x6\nOS version: 16P375\nKernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 18.0.0: Thu Sep 6 18:24:30 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4903.201.2~72\/[\QUOTE]

Both my MBPs are still fine (and I have had them the longest) but the iMP is only a week old.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Ok, I knew that would jinx it - just had my new iMP crash on me. It went to sleep with just Moneydance and iMessages as the only open apps and never woke-up. Looked at the logs and there was system activity after the crash but it did a full boot when trying to wake from its slumber.

Crash Report submitted, top lines:

Both my MBPs are still fine (and I have had them the longest) but the iMP is only a week old.
Return it!

pulch

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2018
Is it worth returning it if the problem may not be hardware?
Honestly, it's a nuisance even if it's only happening once or twice a day. Up to you if you can live with it and save your work frequently if you use the MacBook Pro at a professional capacity.

ALSO this is still early stages for solution, but I was recommended by Apple Support to make a new user account on the Mac and test it out to see if the problems stem from importing my user from my old MacBook Pro. Today is day two and so far no KP's. Crossing my fingers that this is a long-lasting solution.

As for those who have KP issues, did you import your old user from Time Machine or Migration Assistant? Wondering if that might be part of the cause.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Once in 7 days (so far) so I can live with it if Apple is still trying to produce a proper fix.

1x MBP clean installation, 1x MBP migrated (both fine) and the irksome iMP was also migrated.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Yeah I shutdown too instead of sleeping and still have had a KP during regular use (not a heavy load at all).

If you want to check if you've had a KP while you weren't at your computer, you can go to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge/. If you see a file panic-full-.... .ips, that was an instance of a KP associated with the BridgeOS.

sudo ls /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge/panic*
ls: /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge/panic*: No such file or directory

Note: There are other files in that directory, but none of them start with 'panic'.

So, I can confirm it: No KPs so far on 10.13.6 with SU2 (but note that my MBP shipped with a newer firmware version: the same as in 10.14.0). Let's hope it continues this way!

vitamin-b

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
Mojave, MBP 13' 2018, no encryption on SSD, kernel panic twice a day (when I use it throughout the day), mostly on battery or on charger (with nothing else attached).

roblin

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
It usually happens around video playback for me. I would guess since getting my MBP in July I have had maybe 10 kernel panics, would guesstimate
1: VLC
7: youtube+safari
2: twitch+safari

I haven't lost anything important and no friends has seen it, but I am a bit disappointed with Apple on this one.

They seems to happen less frequently with updates, but still happens, just had one.

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
Unfortunately, I had a KP on open beta 3 earlier this week.

Same here.

Have you already tried a total reinstallation?

It usually happens around video playback for me. I would guess since getting my MBP in July I have had maybe 10 kernel panics, would guesstimate
1: VLC
7: youtube+safari
2: twitch+safari

I haven't lost anything important and no friends has seen it, but I am a bit disappointed with Apple on this one.

They seems to happen less frequently with updates, but still happens, just had one.

So sad to read that.

KPs don't seem to like video playback.

On a sad side, imagine loosing few productive hours of CAD work... I do not think I would be able to cope with that. Still waiting for new updates to be tested before purchasing any new Mac equipment. I'm even suspicious to new iMac as it will also have a T kind of system controller.

Come on Apple! Take my money... but bring a product that is built like a Mac.

Last edited by a moderator:

lukasinko

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2018
I've made registration only to add comment here. I had MBP 2017 15" few months ago. Lot of KP (during sleep, during work), i've sent it to our IT support - they changed logic board, then it started with KP again after few days. So sent to another apple servis - changed logic board again, they said it passed all their tests. And KP were continuing - so i've replaced with 2018 model. I was happy, no KPs for a while, but then at the morning i was asked for password instead of touchid - KP during the night again. And what i found, i have no KP if i put MBP into sleep via menu or via touch bar without closing the lid (display). Plus i've set "Turn on Do Not Disturb" (under System Preferences -> Notifications) to "When the display is sleeping" recently - i've read it helped to someone - but i'm still afraid of closing the lid.
EDIT: i have High Sierra

Reactions: giffut and iZeljko

bab5139

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2016

Mine only dies when waking from sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.