Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
B47EE3EB-28E0-4087-840C-FF68B24AA8DC.png
@RumorConsumer Have you and/or your wife upgraded to Mojave yet? And if so, are you still KP free?
Entirely Mojave since day one it was available and entirely KP free.

Also

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...w-bridge-os-error-poll.2144620/#post-26602175

Last edited:

bo-waleed

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2009
My KP only happens when video playback with IINA and AC plugged in (on battery once)
It happens 4 times so far.

Is there any suggested fix for this ? I tried changing T2 security level to medium but no luck.

Broslowski

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018
I got crazy idea i am testing currently abou dissabling hey siri, as this is handled by t2 as well... video play audio- mbp constantly listen- possible issue? I dont know, i am trying everything

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I got crazy idea i am testing currently abou dissabling hey siri, as this is handled by t2 as well... video play audio- mbp constantly listen- possible issue? I dont know, i am trying everything
Not for nothing, but I don't have hey siri enabled. Apple imo, kind of messed up, because I can at any one time have 4 products that will respond to hey siri within ear shot, so I have to some of them off.

Reactions: IG88 and DeepIn2U

joss.b

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
I've been testing the video playback issue: no panics with IINA or VLC, AC or battery. As for Apple: they know, and they're working on it for sure. My bug report is still open, and it says "duplicate", so there are others, and they've been assigned.

Reactions: iZeljko

insol

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
MBP 13" (purchased in August 2018) and never had reboots on High Sierra. I had installed the bettertouchtool touchbar option with a buttonset that polled and made changes to the touchbar (e.g. currently playing song, etc.) under High Sierra and still never had reboots. This was about 2-3 weeks prior to Mojave.

I installed Mojave and suddenly started having all the reboot problems noted here (KP reboot in my bag, overnight, while I was working) The logs reported Previous shutdown causes of -20 and an occasional -11. The logs noted the Bridge OS also. I turned off all the power saving option and still had the problem. I disabled the boot security and (unfortunately) turned off the bettertouchtool touchbar (at the same time). I should know better than change two things at once. Either way, no KP reboots for 4 days so far...

Hope this helps someone...

*SIGH* Was doing good no KP, until today... Simply testing a long running shell script (file parsing and IO) with bash debug flag (so lots of screen output to small iterm window) and BANG! KP.

So October 1st - October 8, 2018 - no KP

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I've been testing the video playback issue: no panics with IINA or VLC, AC or battery. As for Apple: they know, and they're working on it for sure. My bug report is still open, and it says "duplicate", so there are others, and they've been assigned.
Definitely still working on it.

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
Woke up this morning to another KP. It was sleeping all night, lid down, not connected to anything or even power. The ONLY thing that I have re enabled was find my Mac a couple of days ago as I turned it off because my battery was draining quickly during sleep. Have turned it off again now, will see if I get another KP. This is only my 2nd one in around 5 weeks.

insol

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
*SIGH* Was doing good no KP, until today... Simply testing a long running shell script (file parsing and IO) with bash debug flag (so lots of screen output to small iterm window) and BANG! KP.

So October 1st - October 8, 2018 - no KP

Wow, from a shell script?! Goddamn.
Yes... and was repeatable -- using iTerm. Shell script didn't do anything but a bunch of parsing and some file IO (fileVault and other disk security is OFF, including boot security).

Ran script with bash -x (so all lines are output as they run), parsing a fairly large file (about 7000 lines, 1.5MB) and script had about 200 code-lines/input-line -- so appx. 140,000 lines of output scrolling. The script is fairly CPU intensive; about 30-40% on 4/4 I7 cores with scrolling; about 15% on 2/4 cores no scrolling.

If I run the script, so that there is no output to screen (default behavior of the script and of course, without -x switch) no KP. -x switch = KP.

Worth noting: heavy usage (coding, video play, music) since my original post (Oct 1 until this one Oct 8). No KP at all... At least I can repeat now... So when patch comes perhaps can really test.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saeloe

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Yes... and was repeatable -- using iTerm. Shell script didn't do anything but a bunch of parsing and some file IO (fileVault and other disk security is OFF, including boot security).

Ran script with bash -x (so all lines are output as they run), parsing a fairly large file (about 7000 lines, 1.5MB) and script had about 200 code-lines/input-line -- so appx. 140,000 lines of output scrolling. The script is fairly CPU intensive; about 30-40% on 4/4 I7 cores with scrolling; about 15% on 2/4 cores no scrolling.

If I run the script, so that there is no output to screen (default behavior of the script and of course, without -x switch) no KP. -x switch = KP.

Worth noting: heavy usage (coding, video play, music) since my original post (Oct 1 until this one Oct 8). No KP at all... At least I can repeat now... So when patch comes perhaps can really test.
Submit every last crash report

Reactions: Saeloe

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I just had my very first KP since installing the second supplemental update. The computer crashed during sleep again and I was greeting with the "Your Mac was restarted due to a problem" message when I went to use it today. My last KP before today was 8/21, so it's been a good 6 weeks. I hope this doesn't mean they'll be starting up again. I'm still on High Sierra. Maybe I'll update to Mojave now.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Not for nothing, but I don't have hey siri enabled. Apple imo, kind of messed up, because I can at any one time have 4 products that will respond to hey siri within ear shot, so I have to some of them off.

And yet some 2 months ago so many people on the boards here were telling me Siri knows your voice and will NOT respond to My Voice on another device owned by someone else by saying "Hey Siri" ... hmm.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
And yet some 2 months ago so many people on the boards here were telling me Siri knows your voice and will NOT respond to My Voice on another device owned by someone else by saying "Hey Siri" ... hmm.

I am not sure that it will respond to your voice on another device. Have you found that to be the case? I believe what Maflynn was referring to is that if you have 3 or 4 devices that you own all within earshot, they will all respond when you say "Hey Siri."

Even more annoying for me, is that Apple can't seem to tell the difference between Siri and Sara, which is my wife's name. So if I say "Hey Sara," 3 or 4 devices will respond :)

wesStyle

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2018
Installing Open Beta 3 right now. So far I had no KP since Friday on Open Beta 2 with my mbp playing youtube videos constantly and doing 10 sleeps/wakes every day.

Updated. T2 Firmware is now 16P51055b (was 16P51048a)

Last edited:

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
You can add me to the list of 2018 rMBP users with T2 related Kernel Panics. "Thankfully" (I guess) it's really only happened while sleeping connected to external displays (ok, maybe once while sleeping normally but...) , so it's not like I've lost important work, but needless to say it's a less than impressive "feature" on an otherwise excellent machine.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I am not sure that it will respond to your voice on another device. Have you found that to be the case? I believe what Maflynn was referring to is that if you have 3 or 4 devices that you own all within earshot, they will all respond when you say "Hey Siri."

Even more annoying for me, is that Apple can't seem to tell the difference between Siri and Sara, which is my wife's name. So if I say "Hey Sara," 3 or 4 devices will respond :)

Maflynn Was indeed talking about multiple devices one owns. And yes I have found that when I say Hey Siri another iPhone (placed ont he same coffee table right beside mine indeed invokes Siri).

Both devices beside one another, same distance in front of me. Both on same 5ghz home network, I’ve signed into iCloud and register Hey Siri only on my iPhone 8. My ex’s iPhone 8 (one I previously owned, completely signed out and. It is NOT on my list of devices via iCloud in iOS or the main website). Both devices responded several times right away and both where locked with Touch ID Hey Siri enabled when device is locked. Nobody believes me and if I get a chance I’ll record it with a 3rd device with other peoples iOS devices.

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
Installing Open Beta 3 right now. So far I had no KP since Friday on Open Beta 2 with my mbp playing youtube videos constantly and doing 10 sleeps/wakes every day.

Updated. T2 Firmware is now 16P51055b (was 16P51048a)
Hope it finally works well. Keep us informed of the further development on this topic!

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Both devices responded several times right away and both where locked with Touch ID Hey Siri enabled when device is locked. Nobody believes me and if I get a chance I’ll record it with a 3rd device with other peoples iOS devices.

I believe you. I don't think Siri is that accurate at determining your own voice only. That may be by design since it does include the feature that if you find someones iPhone you can ask "Hey Siri, whose phone is this?" or "Hey Siri, who owns this phone?" or "Hey Siri, Who does this phone belong to?" It will then display the contact card for the owner of the phone. If it responded to your voice only, I suppose it would not be able to do that.

Microsoft with Cortona only lists the similar feature as "Try to respond only to me." So they don't make any guarantees about it either.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.