Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
What I am doing in order to "consistently" reproduce it, is to download a season series (many hours of video) and leave it playing the whole season overnight.

If you wake up and your laptop is off, it means that it crashed during the night. You will see the crash message when you boot.

I have found that it does for me 2/3 of the times i do this, at least.
Where do you download from? Or do I just need to play video overnight? What file format is the video you are playing?

wesStyle

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2018
I just installed Mojave open beta 2. Gonna leave youtube videos playing overnight for a couple of days and see how it goes.

Is anyone also having KP with the open beta builds? They seem to update the firmware.

beageek

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
I just installed Mojave open beta 2. Gonna leave youtube videos playing overnight for a couple of days and see how it goes.

Is anyone also having KP with the open beta builds? They seem to update the firmware.

Can you check the firmware version, if you don't mind?

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
It's very sad when one needs to check this thread on a daily bases to find out if it is worth buying a 2018 MBP far away from home, cause return within 14 days is not an option...

Just so you know folks, I'm as excited to see your posts here as I'm excited about the next iMac release.
Thanks for your drive to share information.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
It's very sad when one needs to check this thread on a daily bases to find out if it is worth buying a 2018 MBP far away from home, cause return within 14 days is not an option...

Just so you know folks, I'm as excited to see your posts here as I'm excited about the next iMac release.

its an unideal situation to be sure. mine hadn't had any crashing issues for the first 14 days, and now its started having strange issues out of the blue with things as simple as waking from sleep :(

Reactions: iZeljko

aleks1

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Just to add a voice to the choir, I have a map 13', 2.7Ghz i7.
Had a bunch of KPs before and after Mojave.
Yesterday 4 times in a day, today nothing so far. Totally erratic - I use my computer a lot.
So many little things seem off (sometimes I get the spinning wheel of death while doing very little).

I had my MBP since early August, it was always like that.
I have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow in NYC.

Do they replace it?
I know it could be a software issues, but some models seem to be immune if I understand it right.

EDIT, fyi, I also tried deactivating secure boot and/or deselecting all energy saver options, nothing seem to change the KPs much.

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
Just to add a voice to the choir, I have a map 13', 2.7Ghz i7.
Had a bunch of KPs before and after Mojave.
Yesterday 4 times in a day, today nothing so far. Totally erratic - I use my computer a lot.
So many little things seem off (sometimes I get the spinning wheel of death while doing very little).

I had my MBP since early August, it was always like that.
I have a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow in NYC.

Do they replace it?
I know it could be a software issues, but some models seem to be immune if I understand it right.

EDIT, fyi, I also tried deactivating secure boot and/or deselecting all energy saver options, nothing seem to change the KPs much.
That is exactly why I cant afford to buy one. I've got my money ready, but I'm not living in a country with Apple Store. Even tho I travel a lot it takes me 20 days between passing via a closest Apple Store city. I want something that screams Mac Bullet Proof out of the box in order to let the money out.
[doublepost=1538810676][/doublepost]
its an unideal situation to be sure. mine hadn't had any crashing issues for the first 14 days, and now its started having strange issues out of the blue with things as simple as waking from sleep :(
Yeah, that is what I am afraid of.

Reactions: knweiss

8SlaiN8

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018

take the whole forum with a grain of suspiciousness, I have 2018 15" model and had 0 crashes/Kernel panics for more than a month. I'd have to admit that due to my workflow and personal needs I reboot my laptop at least once every 2 days.

8SlaiN8

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018
Suspiciousness? Really? Not sure why anyone would think that. It isn’t a conspiracy, it’s a discussion thread.
Believe me, I understand that you're on the limit right now and I admit that these new macs aren't flawless, I've just mentioned that not everyone that's owning this laptop is constantly running into these issues. For example I don't. And I wouldn't say that I just watch netflix on my 4k$ laptop.

aleks1

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Believe me, I understand that you're on the limit right now and I admit that these new macs aren't flawless, I've just mentioned that not everyone that's owning this laptop is constantly running into these issues. For example I don't. And I wouldn't say that I just watch netflix on my 4k$ laptop.

That makes me think that it could be partially a hardware issue on some models, I have on average 1-2 KP a day. So yeah, I reboot my computer every day. I do a lot of coding (which is basically typing in an editor, with nothing attached to the computer, no extra screen etc, and still get KP - sometimes while typing, sometimes while literally looking at a bit of code in a text editor and doing nothing, sometimes while the computer is asleep or the lid closed).

Will go to the Store today and report back to you guys. Today no KP so far!

It's unacceptable that Apple sells a 4k$ laptop that is so unreliable with poor QC, if they don't replace it I think for the next time I will reconsider buying a Mac. I used to have an iBook G4 in the 90s that never crashed in 5 years of use! Good times :)

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

I agree that not everyone owning these laptops is having problems. Likely the majority aren't. But "suspiciousness" seemed like a strange term to use for a discussion thread :)

There are definitely some folks having problems and have been since the iMP was released. And there is frustration because there has been little said or done by Apple on it. Not even an official recognition that anyone is having a problem.

I get that maybe they don't want to make an official acknowledgment until they feel they have a solution. But perhaps it is becoming a bit of a trust issue at this point with the high price tags of the machines.

Reactions: guillone

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
take the whole forum with a grain of suspiciousness, I have 2018 15" model and had 0 crashes/Kernel panics for more than a month. I'd have to admit that due to my workflow and personal needs I reboot my laptop at least once every 2 days.
I understand that the ones that have KPs are either having their MBPs replaces or they are gravitating to the forums for information. The “healthy ones” are not gravitating here.

I do not need KP drama in my life. I can not afford to have KP at 4K€ for a laptop.

8SlaiN8

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018
I agree that not everyone owning these laptops is having problems. Likely the majority aren't. But "suspiciousness" seemed like a strange term to use for a discussion thread :)

There are definitely some folks having problems and have been since the iMP was released. And there is frustration because there has been little said or done by Apple on it. Not even an official recognition that anyone is having a problem.

I get that maybe they don't want to make an official acknowledgment until they feel they have a solution. But perhaps it is becoming a bit of a trust issue at this point with the high price tags of the machines.
Perhaps it was just my bad english mate, it's not my main language and it was the best word I could find to express myself at that moment, what I wanted to say is that if someone is having these issues it doesn't necessary mean that everyone will have them, so far, I can tell that there are software issues and hardware issues:

Hardware - Keyboard still isn't perfect BUT I can't find the pattern that makes it break. The issue with dust getting stuck under the key is solved because even if some of it gets in - much easier to open (without breaking) and membrane does help. Doublestrikes or non-functioning beside mechanism working perfectly - something below, in the membrane construction, and it might be that it's better than before but still not perfect. I'm monitoring that everyday and trying strike/space into notes app almost every day.

Software - Audio glitches, before - really severe, now once an hour or so and barely noticeable (but for me as audio engineer still very important) T2 chip might be the problem but that's not a sure thing.
Kernel panics, personally happened to me only once or twice, never happened after sup update 2, neither on Mojave release (I've never installed any beta software on my mac)

P.S. To all folks, before tellin R.I.P. to ur macbook and going to apple store (this tip is just to help to save some time, do what u want) and getting a new one (that's only for kernel panics) Try to back up your data, make clean install of macos and your software (not just restoring backup) and then merging user data files, can't guarantee anything but I can definitely tell that sometimes updates and some software corrupt the system and it's not fixable with update or smth, so it might be that issue is solved all you need to do is start over and nice and clean.
Peace

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Perhaps it was just my bad english mate, it's not my main language and it was the best word I could find to express myself at that moment, what I wanted to say is that if someone is having these issues it doesn't necessary mean that everyone will have them, so far, I can tell that there are software issues and hardware issues:

Hardware - Keyboard still isn't perfect BUT I can't find the pattern that makes it break. The issue with dust getting stuck under the key is solved because even if some of it gets in - much easier to open (without breaking) and membrane does help. Doublestrikes or non-functioning beside mechanism working perfectly - something below, in the membrane construction, and it might be that it's better than before but still not perfect. I'm monitoring that everyday and trying strike/space into notes app almost every day.

Software - Audio glitches, before - really severe, now once an hour or so and barely noticeable (but for me as audio engineer still very important) T2 chip might be the problem but that's not a sure thing.
Kernel panics, personally happened to me only once or twice, never happened after sup update 2, neither on Mojave release (I've never installed any beta software on my mac)

P.S. To all folks, before tellin R.I.P. to ur macbook and going to apple store (this tip is just to help to save some time, do what u want) and getting a new one (that's only for kernel panics) Try to back up your data, make clean install of macos and your software (not just restoring backup) and then merging user data files, can't guarantee anything but I can definitely tell that sometimes updates and some software corrupt the system and it's not fixable with update or smth, so it might be that issue is solved all you need to do is start over and nice and clean.
Peace

Gotcha. That definitely explains the word usage

My first MBP was KP’ing constantly, I had a second one that arrived with physical damage that I sent back without even trying. 3rd one had severe heat and keyboard issues . Trying #4 now because I S̶u̶c̶k̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ convinced myself that the 2nd one didn’t count in the “Three strike rule.”

So far, no problems with #4 in 2 whole days

Never had the audio glitches or the light leaking around the gasket or some of the other issues. But also have yet to have one last more than 10 days without an issue.

Let’s see how this one does.

Reactions: whg

8SlaiN8

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018
Gotcha. That definitely explains the word usage

My first MBP was KP’ing constantly, I had a second one that arrived with physical damage that I sent back without even trying. 3rd one had severe heat and keyboard issues . Trying #4 now because I S̶u̶c̶k̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ convinced myself that the 2nd one didn’t count in the “Three strike rule.”

So far, no problems with #4 in 2 whole days

Never had the audio glitches or the light leaking around the gasket or some of the other issues. But also have yet to have one last more than 10 days without an issue.

Let’s see how this one does.
If I can ask you, which is your primary usage of it? and is it a 13 or 15" laptop?
I've seen over the internet that some 13" have hardware defect of kbrd but 15" don't have it. (that would explain a lot)

Broslowski

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018
After 25 days of no problems, here we go again:
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.0 (16P375)","timestamp":"2018-10-06 21:10:23.99 +0000","incident_id":"073EC2E1-0A09-452E-B959-72827220EB7E"}
{
"build" : "Bridge OS 3.0 (16P375)",
"product" : "iBridge2,4",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.0.0: Thu Sep 6 18:24:30 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4903.201.2~72\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",

I was just watching video, machine was not even connected to internet this time... no dongle, no 3rd party sw running instead of elmedia video player (from app store), no charger connected. wow, just wow apple. I am so amazed. What a machine ..

i will go for public beta 2 i guess there is nothing to loose

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
If I can ask you, which is your primary usage of it? and is it a 13 or 15" laptop?
I've seen over the internet that some 13" have hardware defect of kbrd but 15" don't have it. (that would explain a lot)

Primary is a tough thing. Not a programmer or developer who uses it primarily for one thing. Some photo work, some video work, office apps primarily PowerPoint, Excell, Publisher. Some appraisal software through bootcamp or VM, some video conferencing, some Citrix, some route planning for motorcycle tours.

So basically a little of this, a little of that. Nothing that would or should cause undue hardship or stress to the machine.

First would crash almost consistently when waking from sleep. Apple wanted to collect that unit and arranged for a swap. Swapped unit arrived with sharp nicks along the left edge near the speaker grill and they swapped it again. 3rd would have random runaway heat issues even doing the simplest of things and would frequently miss certain keys, requiring you to have to press them 2 or 3 times in order to register . The 8 would also tend to stick.

Gave it a 3 week break while looking at some alternatives. Picked up a 4th from the local Apple store for some side by side comparison and to help make up my mind which to keep and which to return.

Really Like the MBP and I have had nothing but Macs for the past 12 years, but I don’t trust the MBP further than I could throw it :)

All have been the 15” model.

8SlaiN8

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2018
After 25 days of no problems, here we go again:
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.0 (16P375)","timestamp":"2018-10-06 21:10:23.99 +0000","incident_id":"073EC2E1-0A09-452E-B959-72827220EB7E"}
{
"build" : "Bridge OS 3.0 (16P375)",
"product" : "iBridge2,4",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.0.0: Thu Sep 6 18:24:30 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4903.201.2~72\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",

I was just watching video, machine was not even connected to internet this time... no dongle, no 3rd party sw running instead of elmedia video player (from app store), no charger connected. wow, just wow apple. I am so amazed. What a machine ..

i will go for public beta 2 i guess there is nothing to loose
I'd try clean reinstall first if it occurs at such random manner

Primary is a tough thing. Not a programmer or developer who uses it primarily for one thing. Some photo work, some video work, office apps primarily PowerPoint, Excell, Publisher. Some appraisal software through bootcamp or VM, some video conferencing, some Citrix, some route planning for motorcycle tours.

So basically a little of this, a little of that. Nothing that would or should cause undue hardship or stress to the machine.

First would crash almost consistently when waking from sleep. Apple wanted to collect that unit and arranged for a swap. Swapped unit arrived with sharp nicks along the left edge near the speaker grill and they swapped it again. 3rd would have random runaway heat issues even doing the simplest of things and would frequently miss certain keys, requiring you to have to press them 2 or 3 times in order to register . The 8 would also tend to stick.

Gave it a 3 week break while looking at some alternatives. Picked up a 4th from the local Apple store for some side by side comparison and to help make up my mind which to keep and which to return.

Really Like the MBP and I have had nothing but Macs for the past 12 years, but I don’t trust the MBP further than I could throw it :)

All have been the 15” model.

That's a big list man, btw, so you know it, if apple has to repair your machine 3 times, on 4th they should swap it to you with the newest generation (when it will come) for free, so as it has happened to me with my 2016 15" :D and so far, yes, it isn't perfect (neither 2016 was) but that performance boost and newest macbook for free actually bought me :D I'd guess that I'll still be able to force them to make me 3 repairs or so in 3 years of apple care warranty and arrange the last one for myself. again. lmao.

Reactions: SDColorado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.