Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SWJH

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Mine became much worse with Mojave. Computer was crashing daily, sometimes while in the middle of something, then not wanting to restart. My IT administrator wiped the drive and put a clean HS install on and it's running well so far, no KP in the last 2 days. I'm going to wait a bit to go back to Mojave.

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
If it were stably reproducible, it would've been fixed. It happens sporadically and chaotically. So... just use your laptop intensively for several weeks.
Ok well I have a 2 week return period so can't take more than that

drecc

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2014
I just came here to vent. I've had a crash every morning this week, always triggered immediately on plugging in my external monitor via a USB-C to Displayport cable. This is getting really painful.

Reactions: SDColorado

beageek

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
I've been using my last try which is 13'' MBP 2018 and working well over 10 days so far. BUT I am still unsure about this machine yet since I wasted a lot of time to configure previous MBPs with KPs and had no clue except replacing it. I'm just hoping fine T2 chip is in it or it just crashes if there's problem. Then I will just give up this expensive crap I've ever had in my life.

PS. Very disappointed to Apple that never officially mentions about the issue and still works on it (or NOT). Honestly feel like they're testing with customers not engineers. They should've fully tested it before they release new line.

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
I don't know if my 2017 mbp is suffering the issues highlighted in this thread but many of the problems sound awful familiar. I have had a hell of a time w/the thing over the past 3/4weeks..sudden shutdowns/reboots, won't react to the power button for days and then suddenly comes alive. Now, none of the ports work..can't even charge the ****ing thing. I'm really pissed and will report what the 'geniuses' say when I attend my appointment tomorrow. I'm 2/3 months out of warranty and nothing 'that I'm aware of' occurred that took my fully functioning laptop to a nightmare machine overnight.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I don't know if my 2017 mbp is suffering the issues highlighted in this thread but many of the problems sound awful familiar. I have had a hell of a time w/the thing over the past 3/4weeks..sudden shutdowns/reboots, won't react to the power button for days and then suddenly comes alive. Now, none of the ports work..can't even charge the ****ing thing. I'm really pissed and will report what the 'geniuses' say when I attend my appointment tomorrow. I'm 2/3 months out of warranty and nothing 'that I'm aware of' occurred that took my fully functioning laptop to a nightmare machine overnight.
sounds like youre having a failure, a different failure, but a part failure.

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
sounds like youre having a failure, a different failure, but a part failure.
Yeah, I don't know what the heck is going on with it. I've done everything I can think of trying to get it sorted including wiping the drive clean, reinstall, and a myriad of other things. At first, I thought Mojave fixed it but alas, no. 3K down the drain! (hopefully Apple will at least look at it and be able to diagnose what the problem is)

Coder007

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2018
I have a 2018 13" MBP with i7, 16GB, 2TB. I've had it since August 10th, but have barely used it.

Yesterday I had my first BridgeOS KP. Nothing was connected to the machine. I powered it on, selected my username, entered my password and pressed enter. Immediately after pressing enter, the screen went black and the machine rebooted. I'm on HS with all supplemental updates installed. Filevault is on.

Perhaps these KP's are tied to secure boot? I'm going to set mine to "no security" and see what happens.

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
I have a 2018 13" MBP with i7, 16GB, 2TB. I've had it since August 10th, but have barely used it.

Yesterday I had my first BridgeOS KP. Nothing was connected to the machine. I powered it on, selected my username, entered my password and pressed enter. Immediately after pressing enter, the screen went black and the machine rebooted. I'm on HS with all supplemental updates installed. Filevault is on.

Perhaps these KP's are tied to secure boot? I'm going to set mine to "no security" and see what happens.

When I first started having trouble w/my 15", the drive was secured w/file vault. One of the first things I did was turn it off and its been off since. After installing Mojave, the computer seemed to run good for a few days and then all of a sudden, problems again. I hope your reboot was an isolated incident.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

Man, sounds to me like you maybe need a new logic board. Being a 2017 model, it isn't going to have the T2 chip and you aren't getting kernel panics, but I would have it looked at ASAP.

Marketh

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Manchester, UK
I've been lucky enough to never experience a KP on my 2018 13", but been following this thread just incase. I think Apple will be actively looking for a solution to this, as every single revision of MacOS since the launch has had a change in T2 firmware. Out of curiosity - Has anyone upgraded to the Mojave 10.14.1 beta?

Also - Echoing what others have said, always submit the logs. The more they get, the more they'll prioritize it.

apiro

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
I think Apple will be actively looking for a solution to this, as every single revision of MacOS since the launch has had a change in T2 firmware.
Yup, for more than half a year prominent Apple engineering is actively looking for a solution and cannot fix it or admit it's unfixable and requires free replacement. Pardon me but this looks more and more like a replacement programme in 3..2..1... not moment, year.

Marketh

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Manchester, UK
Yup, for more than half a year prominent Apple engineering is actively looking for a solution and cannot fix it or admit it's unfixable and requires free replacement. Pardon me but this looks more and more like a replacement programme in 3..2..1... not moment, year.
It might well end in a replacement scheme, who knows. The fact it can't be replicated in a scenario 100% of the time, and if there are no glaring correlations between affected machines from the logs might be why it's still unresolved. At first, everyone thought Crypto val erros within disk utility were the sign of the issue, but apparently not.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
It’s been 90 days and they are

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
It might well end in a replacement scheme, who knows. The fact it can't be replicated in a scenario 100% of the time, and if there are no glaring correlations between affected machines from the logs might be why it's still unresolved. At first, everyone thought Crypto val erros within disk utility were the sign of the issue, but apparently not.

I think the issue is that the T2 is now such a complex beast, basically a full second computer, that makes it order of magnitude harder to debug than previous level of system integration..

Reactions: Marketh

joss.b

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
I don't believe there's a problem on the hardware level, and that would mean: no replacement program. They need to fix it on the OS or firmware level. But I agree with iMacDragon that this is a complex beast: Apple don't know how to handle this thing yet, so users have to be very careful & restrictive, at least for the time being.

Noticed one thing today: I had written before that changing the power management settings made all the bridgeOS panics at wake-from-sleep or during sleep go away. This morning, though, the 2018 i9 MBP woke from hibernation (safe sleep) with the lid still closed, but only when I inserted the USB-C charging cable, even though I had set acwake to 0 with pmset.

So it seems like there's something wrong with the interplay between the T2 and the SMC, meaning for example that the computer forgets certain power management settings in sleep or safe sleep. Just my 2¢.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
T2 had the same problem in iMac Pro and it was released much earlier. I think we've already discussed this.
We still don't know the exact nature of the issue. We know that it has something to do with Bridge OS, there has been speculation that code executing in both x86 and ARM environments might cause some kind of race condition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition) in a variety of ways. We just don't know. The best thing to do would be to continue to submit error reports. It may be correct that its both a "single issue", meaning that Bridge and x86 aren't playing together perfectly, and different issues meaning there are a variety of potential bugs a machine can experience which results in this outcome. We just do not know.
[doublepost=1538741830][/doublepost]
I don't believe there's a problem on the hardware level, and that would mean: no replacement program. They need to fix it on the OS or firmware level. But I agree with iMacDragon that this is a complex beast: Apple don't know how to handle this thing yet, so users have to be very careful & restrictive, at least for the time being.

Noticed one thing today: I had written before that changing the power management settings made all the bridgeOS panics at wake-from-sleep or during sleep go away. This morning, though, the 2018 i9 MBP woke from hibernation (safe sleep) with the lid still closed, but only when I inserted the USB-C charging cable, even though I had set acwake to 0 with pmset.

So it seems like there's something wrong with the interplay between the T2 and the SMC, meaning for example that the computer forgets certain power management settings in sleep or safe sleep. Just my 2¢.
Good noticing and in this machine the T2 *is* the SMC. https://eclecticlight.co/2018/07/17/firmware-the-smc-nvram-and-t2-chip-reset-and-maintain/ and other articles to check out!

Reactions: joss.b

apiro

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
We still don't know the exact nature of the issue. We know that it has something to do with Bridge OS, there has been speculation that code executing in both x86 and ARM environments might cause some kind of race condition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_condition) in a variety of ways. We just don't know. The best thing to do would be to continue to submit error reports. It may be correct that its both a "single issue", meaning that Bridge and x86 aren't playing together perfectly, and different issues meaning there are a variety of potential bugs a machine can experience which results in this outcome. We just do not know.
If it's a single issue then Apple cannot fix it in more than 6 months. If it's a lot of issues then Apple has bad QA/QC. What's worse? Both.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
If it's a single issue then Apple cannot fix it in more than 6 months. If it's a lot of issues then Apple has bad QA/QC. What's worse? Both.

I am guessing (a) since the two models affected are the ones with the T2 chips and that it has been going on for more than 6 months. The iMP just never got the mainstream attention of the MBP, being more of a niche model.

Reactions: eagerwu

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012

Yes, the communication between the T2 and the CPU might be a complex beast that could explain why there's such a diverse frequency of the problem across users. Of course it could also be hardware, but, if it was hardware, they would have known, at the very least by end of August, that there were faulty chips, they would have located them, and all MBPs assembled it September would be fine, but some users report seeing the problem in recently assembled MBPs, so this fact would point in the direction that it isn't hardware (my MBP was assembled after Sept 14, and I didn't get any KPs yet, though).

I remember for example the case of the G5 iMac and the infamous faulty capacitors: Apple realized about the faulty capacitors very soon, and they reacted by obviously assembling the next batches with other capacitors. In this case, if it was hardware, I assume Apple would have reacted in a similar way, and all MBPs with KPs would have been assembled within a limited range of weeks.

Of course there are other types of hardware failures which are harder to diagnose: The Silicon Graphics Indigo2 IMPACT with TRAM modules comes to mind: there was a X server crash that happened when the texture RAM (TRAM) modules were faulty, but there were also reports telling that the same crash happened in machines with good TRAMs... at the end it was very hard to affirm the real cause, but the most accepted cause was that TRAMs used to get really hot (to the point that some of them were actually fried), and perhaps such a high temperature caused the X server crash in some TRAM modules and not in others. I really hope the 2018 MBP KPs issue is different from this, because that TRAMs episode is one of the most frustrating moments I remember as a computer user (ie: you never knew if the new Indigo2 you had was going to suffer this problem or not, and when you got a X server crash but you realized that the TRAMs still functioned after the crash --because textured gfx continued to work--, then you were puzzled, disappointed, and without a clue on what to do).

However, if at some point we can affirm that MBPs assembled later than some date are no longer getting KPs, then it's obviously hardware. Otherwise, it's either software or a SGI TRAMs-like issue in the lines of "it's hardware but nobody really knows why some units fail and others don't" (and let's hope it's not this scenario).

servo

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Once again what is the best way to recreate this KP problem and test to see if I have it? Just got my 2018 MBP 15" 2.6ghz.
What I am doing in order to "consistently" reproduce it, is to download a season series (many hours of video) and leave it playing the whole season overnight.

If you wake up and your laptop is off, it means that it crashed during the night. You will see the crash message when you boot.

I have found that it does for me 2/3 of the times i do this, at least.

wesStyle

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2018
Bought a new MBP 15" i72.6/16/512 and had no problems for 2.5 days. Installed Mojave as soon as the first boot setup was finished. No FileVault.
Was at the cafe, opened the lid, stayed at the lock screen for couple of minutes, turned away for a second and when I looked back I saw a beautiful Apple logo on a black screen.
That said I plugged an empty new usb-adapter (just to see if it fits) to it once during this time but not sure if it is related.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
I don't know if they are kernel panics, but suddenly today I've had two issues forcing me to hard reset my system with the Touch ID button.

the first issue was attempting to launch after effects. it stalled, and couldn't be force quit from the dock or activity monitor. and I couldn't even restart the computer normally because the hung process prevented it.

second was just now. my computer had been lid closed asleep. when I opened it the Touch Bar was on (appeared to be logged in?), but the screen was black and no amount of hitting escape or any keys did anything.

The only prompt upon logging back in was that I'd shut down abornmally and asking if I wanted to relaunch previously running programs. are there logs somewhere I should check to diagnose what went wrong?

thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.