Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eagerwu

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2018
Beijing
Don't worry, Apple will fix it in the 2019 model and abandon 2018 users, just like they did with the keyboard and every hardware macbook issue they ever had. They just replace it with a new defective part until their "extended" warranty runs out.
Very likely to happen...

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Screenshot_2018-09-30_at_18.52.10.jpg
Just had my third KP on Mojave. The other two happened during sleep, this is the first during usage.

Getting pretty sick of this. It didn't even save a crash log so had to take a screenshot.

servo

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
I had 3 at my MBP 13'' 2018 model that I recently purchased for 3100$.....
I really hoped that Mojave would fix it but it hasn't. I just had my second in Mojave now...

I am really frustrated and I don't even know if i can replace my mac or not. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue with consistency. I have only noticed that it relates to either sound or graphics, it has only happened when I had music (itunes) playing or watching a video (either utube, vlc, or iina).

It is not related to having anything plugged on it really. I only had the usb-c power cable at one or two of the 4-5 total kernel panics.

Also I noticed that the Mojave "Previous Shutdown Cause" changed from -11 that were at High Sierra to 5 or 6. I really really don't know how to even approach this **** :/

Last edited:

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
What I’ feared finally happend. Exactly 4 weeks after purchasing, woke up this morning and found my MBP had rebooted. I’ve been using it quite extensively the last four weeks with multiple dongles attached and rendered a dozen of hour long timelines from FCPX without a problem (except when I was playing C&C Generals that was crashing constantly but had nothing to do with Bridge OS). What I did different last night was downloading a game from Steam and after it was done closed the lid. Rebooted 4 hours later. Very strange and very disappointing, and now I live in fear that the next time I will use my computer it will happen again. Hopefully it will be resolved soon as it leaves a bad taste in mouth, more for not being a reliable system for it’s price than being a time consuming problem. I pray to Steve Jobs’ spirit that it will not happen again to me. For the record I run the latest public released version of Mojave (not the beta) and Bridge OS is 3.0. I don’t recollect the firmware version or anything else related as I was too angry for more digging around, but checking they other posts in this thread i believe it’s the same one.
I still believe all units are affected in the same way. The difference is that some users get more KPs, others get less KPs, and some others didn't get any KP yet, but my belief is that this is because they use the MBP in different ways, or have different settings, or even KPs depend on pseudo-random scenarios that depend on how "lucky" you are (due to weird syncing between heterogeneous chips that could cause problems similar to race conditions, for example, and that are not always easy to reproduce).

Reactions: zavrelj

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I still believe all units are affected in the same way. The difference is that some users get more KPs, others get less KPs, and some others didn't get any KP yet, but my belief is that this is because they use the MBP in different ways, or have different settings, or even KPs depend on pseudo-random scenarios that depend on how "lucky" you are (due to weird syncing between heterogeneous chips that could cause problems similar to race conditions, for example, and that are not always easy to reproduce).
Not impossible! You'd think if it was gonna happen it would be happening 90+ days from launch which is about where we are at right now. Again, I have a 2.9 unit with ZERO KPs that is being run daily with audio and video and graphics. Adobe, Final Cut, the works.

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
Eventually, this thread will die, no fix from Apple, no mention from Apple that a problem existed, problem solved....
for Apple.....
I noticed no more youtube posts on this issue, it's dying quickly...
cricket noises.
There is no fix coming, because in Apple's world, this doesn't exist.
They can deflect this for longer than you can wait on a fix.....

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Eventually, this thread will die, no fix from Apple, no mention from Apple that a problem existed, problem solved....
for Apple.....
cricket noises.
How much money will you give me if they fix it in the next month?

Reactions: Premal212

xann89

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
Just had my first KP while watching a video. The whole thing just froze and restarted itself. FML, it has just passed the return window.

Trillion

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2018
Israel
I don't understand why people don't just return their MBPs if they're unhappy with it. It's over $3000 for a laptop you can't even work properly on. And this crash is just one of the many problems of the 2018 MBP.

because we can't, some out of the return window and others don't live in places with apple stores and are at the mercy of third party service providers.

If I could I would return this piece of junk in a heart beat.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
for Apple.....
cricket noises.
If it was a hardware defect, you might be correct. But it seems to be software/firmware, and the MBP is a product that sells quite a number of units, so I think it's quite possible that it will be fixed in the next months. The sad thing is that Apple invests more in the products they sell most. If there were the same number of engineers working on MacOS as on iOS, this would be fixed already. Also, some iMac Pro users say their T2-related KPs have not been fixed yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if the MBP 2018 KPs get fixed before the iMac Pro (just for the reason above: more units sold, more people shouting).

Reactions: guillone

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
because we can't, some out of the return window and others don't live in places with apple stores and are at the mercy of third party service providers.

You could always sell it and take a couple of hundred dollar hit.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
I don't understand why people don't just return their MBPs if they're unhappy with it. It's over $3000 for a laptop you can't even work properly on. And this crash is just one of the many problems of the 2018 MBP.
I'm getting ready to leave Apple in the future, but for the moment I cannot do it yet. And I really need a new MacBook right now, as I extended the life of my late 2010 MBA beyond what most people would consider reasonable... waiting until Apple released a new MacBook worthy of being the successor to the late 2010 MBA. I hoped for the MBA successor to have been presented in September, but it wasn't. I cannot wait more (I need to run a VM with Autodesk Revit and Robot on it, and that's not possible to achieve with my 4GB MBA anymore). Also, the MBP lets you configure it with 32GB RAM, and this will extend its life, so I went for it.

BTW, I just got an email telling my 15''/i9/560X/32GB/1TB/Silver is ready for pick up (it was delayed to next Wednesday, but it already arrived, so they finally were only 1 day late --it was initially for last Friday). I have mixed feelings... very happy but also scared to get KPs... I'll go to the shop 3 hours from now... will it have Mojave or HS? (ordered in Sept 14)... hmmm....

Reactions: mdnz

servo

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
What I am doing in order to "consistently" reproduce it, is to download a season series (many hours of video) and leave it playing the whole season overnight.
If you wake up and your laptop is off, it means that it crashed during the night. I have found that it does for me 2/3 of the times i do this, at least. This is why I believe its media related, graphics card or sound card, firmware or hardware...

Reactions: iZeljko

ales876

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2016
Germany
I'm getting ready to leave Apple in the future, but for the moment I cannot do it yet. And I really need a new MacBook right now, as I extended the life of my late 2010 MBA beyond what most people would consider reasonable... waiting until Apple released a new MacBook worthy of being the successor to the late 2010 MBA. I hoped for the MBA successor to have been presented in September, but it wasn't. I cannot wait more (I need to run a VM with Autodesk Revit and Robot on it, and that's not possible to achieve with my 4GB MBA anymore). Also, the MBP lets you configure it with 32GB RAM, and this will extend its life, so I went for it.

BTW, I just got an email telling my 15''/i9/560X/32GB/1TB/Silver is ready for pick up (it was delayed to next Wednesday, but it already arrived, so they finally were only 1 day late --it was initially for last Friday). I have mixed feelings... very happy but also scared to get KPs... I'll go to the shop 3 hours from now... will it have Mojave or HS? (ordered in Sept 14)... hmmm....

No It won't. I bought mine last friday and it had High Sierra on it, even though I expected Mojave. My adivce: Don't do a clean install with the current situation. The T2 Chip won't let you install something from USB.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
What I am doing in order to "consistently" reproduce it, is to download a season series (many hours of video) and leave it playing the whole season overnight.
If you wake up and your laptop is off, it means that it crashed during the night. I have found that it does for me 2/3 of the times i do this, at least. This is why I believe its media related, graphics card or sound card, firmware or hardware...
If the issue you are able to reproduce is actually media related, then I believe it's not the same issue as the BridgeOS KPs (even if you get a BridgeOS KP, I believe it was triggered after some other fault). The "genuine BridgeOS KP" (TM) that people are reporting is related to T2 tasks: sleep, wake from sleep, and disk I/O -because of encryption.

However, your media playback depends heavily on encrypted disk I/O, so even you think it's media related, it could actually be T2-related.
[doublepost=1538390961][/doublepost]
No It won't. I bought mine last friday and it had High Sierra on it, even though I expected Mojave. My adivce: Don't do a clean install with the current situation. The T2 Chip won't let you install something from USB.
So, if it has HS, would you suggest to stay in HS, or to update from HS to Mojave without doing a clean install?

servo

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
If the issue you are able to reproduce is actually media related, then I believe it's not the same issue as the BridgeOS KPs (even if you get a BridgeOS KP, I believe it was triggered after some other fault). The "genuine BridgeOS KP" (TM) that people are reporting is related to T2 tasks: sleep, wake from sleep, and disk I/O -because of encryption.

However, your media playback depends heavily on encrypted disk I/O, so even you think it's media related, it could actually be T2-related.
So, if it has HS, would you suggest to stay in HS, or to update from HS to Mojave without doing a clean install?

Yes I get BridgeOS KPs. These are the same ones as many of them have pasted here. What you are saying this be the case, about the encrypted disk i/o. I didn't think about it this way.
However, the Kernel Panics I am getting report Bridge OS errors, I actually googled the first line of the KP and found this post, it should be the same. It's just that I have found a more "consistent" way to trigger it, since it is not that often.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

That’s the route I took. If they get it fixed down the road I may have another look, but I had too many issues with the 3 units that I had, from KP’s to keys failing to register consistently when pressed. I fear that there are some things with this model that will never be truly fixed until 2019 or beyond. But time will tell.

Reactions: guillone

joss.b

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
Haven't had any bridgeOS panics for weeks, after tweaking the pm settings on my 2018 i9 MBP, but there's definitely something wrong with the T2; can't upgrade to Mojave, and others seem to have the same issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8551507 Would love to test bridgeOS behavior on Mojave, but no can do. Apple has become a total sh*tshow.

ales876

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2016
Germany

Well normally when I do a clean install it takes 1-2h maximums. Due to the fact that I was unaware of the security of the T2, it took me about 4-5h not even having installed it.

The way which worked for me was to enter the recovery mode during boot process CMD+OPTION+R. Then Wipe it and then Install the new OS, without USB and stuff. At the first time he loaded like forever, after 3h I cancelled all and did it the next day and somehow it worked.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Well normally when I do a clean install it takes 1-2h maximums. Due to the fact that I was unaware of the security of the T2, it took me about 4-5h not even having installed it.

The way which worked for me was to enter the recovery mode during boot process CMD+OPTION+R. Then Wipe it and then Install the new OS, without USB and stuff. At the first time he loaded like forever, after 3h I cancelled all and did it the next day and somehow it worked.
What would do if you could travel back in time? Would you still install from scratch? Would you update instead? Or would you keep HS for a while? (because today I'm actually in the same situation as you last week, so I'd like to know what would you do if you had this chance...)

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016

I’d still call AppleCare and raise hell to at least get a replacement unit. Based on the facts it seems only right. They may want to service it first so let them and if it doesn’t work out then nuclear.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
After 4 weeks of blood, sweat and tears they approved my replacement today.. but I have to wait 2 weeks to get it (custom). Painful. What’s more disappointing was the tech, first day on the floor, had no care about the last 4 weeks, stepped through diagnostics (all fine), then said we need to reinstall Mojave - advised I’ve done all of this twice. Oh ok well we can replace maybe the logic board? (highly doubt this is the issue - diagnostics were fine) - or order a new one. Done. Hopefully there’s no round 2, it’s not looking promising but I’ll try to remain optimistic, it’s just so much money ($5k!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.