Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

servo

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
I can't return it. I got it during my trip to US and I am back in Greece now.
I am really frustrated and I can't do almost nothing about it.

Can I get a replacement to another country than the one that I bought it from?

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
What I am doing in order to "consistently" reproduce it, is to download a season series (many hours of video) and leave it playing the whole season overnight.
If you wake up and your laptop is off, it means that it crashed during the night. I have found that it does for me 2/3 of the times i do this, at least. This is why I believe its media related, graphics card or sound card, firmware or hardware...

Mine would do this just by leaving it on, no video needed. If it hadn’t crashed, after 20 mins of use first thing in the morning 9/10 times it would KP, all internet would drop, finder would beachball and it would crash. Always when docked to 2 displays/power.
[doublepost=1538405391][/doublepost]
I can't return it. I got it during my trip to US and I am back in Greece now.
I am really frustrated and I can't do almost nothing about it.

Can I get a replacement to another country than the one that I bought it from?

Have you called AppleCare and asked? They do mail-in services, unsure though about country to country. Or asked in-store? Take it all with you and walk in.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Screenshot_2018-09-30_at_18.52.10.jpg
Just had my third KP on Mojave. The other two happened during sleep, this is the first during usage.

Getting pretty sick of this. It didn't even save a crash log so had to take a screenshot.

Bad magic means an identifier wasn't as excepted (magic word) and therefore the data is bad/not found (no log entry present where it should be).

Reactions: IG88

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I would love to know if anybody believes their Bridge OS KP issues have been resolved from any of the updates.

nanu146

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2018
Are these KPs happening only when Macbook Pro is connected to some device through thunderbolt 3 port ? If so can we reduce the occurrence of KP by not connecting to any device?

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I would love to know if anybody believes their Bridge OS KP issues have been resolved from any of the updates.

I don’t. I still believe that it a hardware issue with the T2 chip that may or may not be resolved through a firmware update at some point. Just my .2 though.

ALSO TO ALL PEOPLE SUFFERING ON HERE PLEASE CONTINUE TO SUBMIT YOUR KP LOG REPORTS. IT ACTUALLY HELPS THEM TO LOOK AT THOSE.

THERE WILL BE A FIX HERE GUYS. STAY STRONG.

Hopefully prior to 2019 and a T3 chip :)

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
ALSO TO ALL PEOPLE SUFFERING ON HERE PLEASE CONTINUE TO SUBMIT YOUR KP LOG REPORTS. IT ACTUALLY HELPS THEM TO LOOK AT THOSE.

THERE WILL BE A FIX HERE GUYS. STAY STRONG.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
I've been using for two days the new 15''/i9/560X/32GB/1TB/Silver that I got on Monday. No KPs for the moment. I decided to keep it in High Sierra. I disabled all the automatic sleep settings from the power saving settings (not because of KPs, but because I rarely make my Macs sleep, and when I need to, I want to do it manually). I also disabled the autoboot on opening the lid (didn't know of this "feature"... what's Apple thinking these days?).

I enabled FileVault.

Then I transferred over 120GB of data through USB. Everything fine.

Played music while transferring the data. No strange noises. No interference-like sounds.

Then I uncompressed (7z format) about 100GB of data, with Betterzip, while reading from external HD through USB. Again, no issues.

So, it looks fine for the moment. But I must say that all these years I used my old MBA like if it was a desktop (always shutdown when not in use), and I'm using this new MBP in the same way. So, this way of using the MBP can perhaps place me in a more unlikely position of getting KPs, as my MBP never sleeps, it's shutdown instead.

I'll stay at High Sierra, either for a while or permanently, depending on what I consider preferable in the future.

I must say that I would consider this 2018 MBP a superb machine if it had magsafe, well established standard ports, and they didn't introduce the stupid autoboot at opening the lid "feature" --no matter if you can disable it through nvram). All these three things are steps backwards. Apart from that, I love the rest. The keyboard is nice to type (I consider it as silent as my MBA). The fans are not that noisy as some people claim (again, a similar noise level to my MBA when fans were at full speed). The Touch Bar has good development possibilities IMHO (although limited by the fact that no other Macs have it). And the giant Trackpad is great.

So, a great Mac (yet not superb, because of lacking magsafe, ports, and that nonsense autoboot). I think it would be superb if Steve Jobs was alive, as he wouldn't permit magsafe to go away.

BTW, when I picked up at the shop, I asked the guy about KPs. He said they only had a girl that reported having KPs on her MBP, last Friday, and that they replaced it.

So... I don't know what to think now... maybe it's hardware, although it really smells like software/firmware. Or maybe we don't have a single issue, but different issues that seem to show the same symptoms...

I'll report back if I get KPs

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I've been using for two days the new 15''/i9/560X/32GB/1TB/Silver that I got on Monday. No KPs for the moment. I decided to keep it in High Sierra. I disabled all the automatic sleep settings from the power saving settings (not because of KPs, but because I rarely make my Macs sleep, and when I need to, I want to do it manually). I also disabled the autoboot on opening the lid (didn't know of this "feature"... what's Apple thinking these days?).

I enabled FileVault.

Then I transferred over 120GB of data through USB. Everything fine.

Played music while transferring the data. No strange noises. No interference-like sounds.

Then I uncompressed (7z format) about 100GB of data, with Betterzip, while reading from external HD through USB. Again, no issues.

So, it looks fine for the moment. But I must say that all these years I used my old MBA like if it was a desktop (always shutdown when not in use), and I'm using this new MBP in the same way. So, this way of using the MBP can perhaps place me in a more unlikely position of getting KPs, as my MBP never sleeps, it's shutdown instead.

I'll stay at High Sierra, either for a while or permanently, depending on what I consider preferable in the future.

I must say that I would consider this 2018 MBP a superb machine if it had magsafe, well established standard ports, and they didn't introduce the stupid autoboot at opening the lid "feature" --no matter if you can disable it through nvram). All these three things are steps backwards. Apart from that, I love the rest. The keyboard is nice to type (I consider it as silent as my MBA). The fans are not that noisy as some people claim (again, a similar noise level to my MBA when fans were at full speed). The Touch Bar has good development possibilities IMHO (although limited by the fact that no other Macs have it). And the giant Trackpad is great.

So, a great Mac (yet not superb, because of lacking magsafe, ports, and that nonsense autoboot). I think it would be superb if Steve Jobs was alive, as he wouldn't permit magsafe to go away.

BTW, when I picked up at the shop, I asked the guy about KPs. He said they only had a girl that reported having KPs on her MBP, last Friday, and that they replaced it.

So... I don't know what to think now... maybe it's hardware, although it really smells like software/firmware. Or maybe we don't have a single issue, but different issues that seem to show the same symptoms...

I'll report back if I get KPs
Great write up. You can get a magsafe style breakaway adapter. Not all are alike tech wise so best to read some reviews.

Reactions: asiga

n3t_runn3r

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018

I was having 1 or more wake from sleep KP's per day prior to Majave. It has been one week since installing Majave and I haven't had a single one.

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
I believe today marks one week free of KPs with regular use, the only difference is at some point I uninstalled my xbox 360 controller drivers.

Reactions: RumorConsumer

Qaulity

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2018
I had my first reboot on Mojave. No crash reporter evidently just opened my lid and it booted up like I had turned it off.

Reactions: IG88

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
I think the kernel panics are gone for me. I haven’t seen anymore since supplemental update 2. I did upgrade to Mojave and saw a couple odd issues that took a reboot to clear. No kernel panics, though. I started a thread about oddities with Mojave and the 2018 MBP if you are curious about what those actual issues were. I don’t think they are necessarily related to the T2 chip, though.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
BTW, how can I know if mine arrived with SU2 installed? App Store doesn’t find updates, so I assume it came with SU2 already, but how can I confirm it?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
BTW, how can I know if mine arrived with SU2 installed? App Store doesn’t find updates, so I assume it came with SU2 already, but how can I confirm it?

Check the build version, but if it was manufacturered basically anytime after SU2 came out, then it came pre installed. THey got it onto the factory images very fast, my machine which was shipped from china 18'th august had it on.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
if i had any issue like this? where i can look? i know there must be a folder or a file with the crash log ? where i can search for it? im asking because today i did enter my password for enable toucid and i don't know if it's because of multiple failure of someone trying to enter in my laptop, or because i had this kind of issue

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Check the build version, but if it was manufacturered basically anytime after SU2 came out, then it came pre installed. THey got it onto the factory images very fast, my machine which was shipped from china 18'th august had it on.
It turns out it came without SU2. I just installed SU2, and, to my surprise, the iBridge firmware I have is 16P375, which is the version that according to this thread was introduced in Mojave. So, either they have updated SU2, or my MBP shipped with the latest firmware from factory...(and, BTW, if they modified SU2 in some way, it must be the firmware only because they didn't change the build number: I'm at 17G2307, which is the original build number for SU2)

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
What is the best way to recreate this problem and test to see if I have it? Just got my 2018 MBP 15" 2.6ghz.

kevk74

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
New Hampshire
Thank you for the kind words. I just want to do whatever I can to help Apple become a better company for us all. What I find most troubling is the fact that 9 out 10 times when you get a 'senior' advisor on the phone from Apple that you know way more than they do. They are simply reading a script with no real world experience and having no clue how to even begin solving your issue. Having had a love/hate relationship with Apple over the past 24 years has made me realize that in all actuality it is far more love than hate. I would be devastated if the company that I and people like yourself have invested so much of themselves into tanked.

Reactions: guillone

insol

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
MBP 13" (purchased in August 2018) and never had reboots on High Sierra. I had installed the bettertouchtool touchbar option with a buttonset that polled and made changes to the touchbar (e.g. currently playing song, etc.) under High Sierra and still never had reboots. This was about 2-3 weeks prior to Mojave.

I installed Mojave and suddenly started having all the reboot problems noted here (KP reboot in my bag, overnight, while I was working) The logs reported Previous shutdown causes of -20 and an occasional -11. The logs noted the Bridge OS also. I turned off all the power saving option and still had the problem. I disabled the boot security and (unfortunately) turned off the bettertouchtool touchbar (at the same time). I should know better than change two things at once. Either way, no KP reboots for 4 days so far...

Hope this helps someone...

clutchm3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2011
Once again what is the best way to recreate this KP problem and test to see if I have it? Just got my 2018 MBP 15" 2.6ghz.

apiro

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
Once again what is the best way to recreate this KP problem and test to see if I have it? Just got my 2018 MBP 15" 2.6ghz.
If it were stably reproducible, it would've been fixed. It happens sporadically and chaotically. So... just use your laptop intensively for several weeks.

apiro

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
The more reports are published, the more likely to get the problem fixed.
Or more likely Apple will wait 2 years, issue a replacement programme saying "very few of machines are affected", will replace flawed T2 chip with refurbished flawed T2 chip for 4 years since purchase with every replacement taking at least 4-7 days for it to be enough inconvenience for the customer to just live with the problem, and then offer next year model without this flaw so that there is incentive to get 2nd trillion.
It's quite saddening how accurate this might be.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
MBP 13" (purchased in August 2018) and never had reboots on High Sierra. I had installed the bettertouchtool touchbar option with a buttonset that polled and made changes to the touchbar (e.g. currently playing song, etc.) under High Sierra and still never had reboots. This was about 2-3 weeks prior to Mojave.

I installed Mojave and suddenly started having all the reboot problems noted here (KP reboot in my bag, overnight, while I was working) The logs reported Previous shutdown causes of -20 and an occasional -11. The logs noted the Bridge OS also. I turned off all the power saving option and still had the problem. I disabled the boot security and (unfortunately) turned off the bettertouchtool touchbar (at the same time). I should know better than change two things at once. Either way, no KP reboots for 4 days so far...

Hope this helps someone...
Submit all reports

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.