Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
I just got another KP on a fresh Mojave install....

Did they basically tell you "we can see by the logs your computer crashes all the time but because it didn't happen now we won't do anything to fix it " ?

Complicated cuz I brought it in having JUST installed Mojave, they basically said bring it back if it happens again. I haven't gotten one yet myself but of course it's going right back if I do. It was disheartening that Apple has no procedures or even acknowledgement of this issue for Genius Bar techs. Basically, whatever this issue is, it's 100% opaque and non-user diagnosible and that's incredibly frustrating. Like a bunch of you, I'm a ""super user"" and I've brought my computers back from the brink many times with my own diagnosis and fixing skills, but you just hit a wall so quickly with this. It's a check engine light. They were nice and did believe me and did encourage me to bring it back, not so encouraging on a replacement.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Complicated cuz I brought it in having JUST installed Mojave, they basically said bring it back if it happens again. I haven't gotten one yet myself but of course it's going right back if I do. It was disheartening that Apple has no procedures or even acknowledgement of this issue for Genius Bar techs. Basically, whatever this issue is, it's 100% opaque and non-user diagnosible and that's incredibly frustrating. Like a bunch of you, I'm a ""super user"" and I've brought my computers back from the brink many times with my own diagnosis and fixing skills, but you just hit a wall so quickly with this. It's a check engine light. They were nice and did believe me and did encourage me to bring it back, not so encouraging on a replacement.
I say for the last time. Do not waste your time with retail. Go the AppleCare route.

Reactions: zargap

zavrelj

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2018
I've gone three days in a row without a crash since I unplugged my TB3->TB2 adapter from my 2018 MacBook Pro. I used to let it sleep with the adapter attached (but nothing attached to it was powered on) and it crashed with the Bridge OS error 5 nights out of the first 7 of ownership during sleep.

It's weird, because the error report says "running" even though the computer was sleeping. Does this mean the adapter wakes up the computer and causes a crash? I used to also just let my LG 34UM95 monitor sleep when attached to this adapter, but it would power on briefly with a gray "no signal" screen several times during the night while the computer was supposed to be sleeping so I started turning it off overnight. Coincidence?

I've read that others have experienced crashes with nothing but the power adapter attached, but I haven't seen this on mine yet. However, I'm only on day three of unplugging everything before sleeping the computer so that may change.

Thanks for this insight. I got my MBP 2018 for three days. Today was the first day I connected it via TB3 -> TB2 adapter to Thunderbolt Display. Everything was fine, but in the evening after waking up, the system warning appeared that I have just 1,9 GB of free memory. This is nonsense because I wasn't able to fill 1 TB so quickly, actually 700 GB is free. Suddenly the laptop turned off. Once turned on, it showed to free storage correctly and there was a message about Bridge OS 3.0. Now I'm just wondering if this is software issue and I should wait for fix or hardware issue and I should return it while I still can...

Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 18.26.55.png

And yes, I'm running Mojave.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Thanks for this insight. I got my MBP 2018 for three days. Today was the first day I connected it via TB3 -> TB2 adapter to Thunderbolt Display. Everything was fine, but in the evening after waking up, the system warning appeared that I have just 1,9 GB of free memory. This is nonsense because I wasn't able to fill 1 TB so quickly, actually 700 GB is free. Suddenly the laptop turned off. Once turned on, it showed to free storage correctly and there was a message about Bridge OS 3.0. Now I'm just wondering if this is software issue and I should wait for fix or hardware issue and I should return it while I still can...

View attachment 790460

And yes, I'm running Mojave.
Id return it. If you have one KPing in the return window Id get rid of it the easy way.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Don't worry, Apple will fix it in the 2019 model and abandon 2018 users, just like they did with the keyboard and every hardware macbook issue they ever had. They just replace it with a new defective part until their "extended" warranty runs out.

Reactions: eagerwu and apiro

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
I believe the logs you submit to engineers are evidence of what was happening during the crash and the log files are loaded into a machine simulator (a virtual Mac) that lets the engineers experience the crash visually.
A simulator?
They just need to unbox one... And if it runs well I'll come to pick it up!

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
What I’ feared finally happend. Exactly 4 weeks after purchasing, woke up this morning and found my MBP had rebooted. I’ve been using it quite extensively the last four weeks with multiple dongles attached and rendered a dozen of hour long timelines from FCPX without a problem (except when I was playing C&C Generals that was crashing constantly but had nothing to do with Bridge OS). What I did different last night was downloading a game from Steam and after it was done closed the lid. Rebooted 4 hours later. Very strange and very disappointing, and now I live in fear that the next time I will use my computer it will happen again. Hopefully it will be resolved soon as it leaves a bad taste in mouth, more for not being a reliable system for it’s price than being a time consuming problem. I pray to Steve Jobs’ spirit that it will not happen again to me. For the record I run the latest public released version of Mojave (not the beta) and Bridge OS is 3.0. I don’t recollect the firmware version or anything else related as I was too angry for more digging around, but checking they other posts in this thread i believe it’s the same one.

appleino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
That user would be me. She continues to have Zero KPs and I’ve had one on my lesser 2.6ghz.

Thanks for confirming - what‘s the size of your hard drive, is it smaller than 2TB by any chance?

Edit: Just found your original post and saw that both machines you have are 1TB. It‘s probably not the hard drive, then...

Last edited:

appleino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
I guess, Apple changed it for him if it was indeed soldered on in his machine. They are probably able to do that (given that you can get the soldered on storage in iPhones easily replaced at corner shops in China).

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I guess, Apple changed it for him if it was indeed soldered on in his machine. They are probably able to do that (given that you can get the soldered on storage in iPhones easily replaced at corner shops in China).

It isn’t as simple as the phone. The flash memory and controller are soldered to the logic board and would require the logic board to be replaced. So if they replaced the SSD, they would have also replaced CPU, GPU, Thunderbolt controllers, T2 chip, etc. Not sure how that guy determined that swapping the SSD was the only fix when so much else would have also been swapped with it.

* Orange - Flash Storage
* Red - Apple Custom Controller

37c8242d5e2fd8698d984d15fd65b3ea.jpg

Last edited:

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
I'm under impression that the guy is talking about 2015 MPBR which was running unstable and that he was fault finding the machine for quite some time until he replaced the SSD... And that scenario is technically possible.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm under impression that the guy is talking about 2015 MPBR which was running unstable and that he was fault finding the machine for quite some time until he replaced the SSD... And that scenario is technically possible.

Not sure. I know appleino mentioned that he had a 2015, but didn't see where there was any mention of what year/model the guy who had the hard drive replaced had. Unfortunately, it is not really an option to replace the hard drive only with the new models.

appleino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2017
I can’t find the blog post anymore where the author claims swapping the hard drive fixed the problem for him, sorry. Had looked into this a few weeks ago but just accepted that my 2015 MBPr reboots every night (my main machine is the new 2018 model wherefore I don’t care as much anymore). The author of the blog might as well have taken his laptop to Apple and they stated that the HD was changed. The theory doesn’t hold anyhow, since apparently there are 1TB machines that crash while others don’t. I think it’s safe to assume that Apple uses the same 1TB drives in all 2018 machines, so they are very likely not the source of the problem.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I think it’s safe to assume that Apple uses the same 1TB drives in all 2018 machines, so they are very likely not the source of the problem.

That is a good question, that I don't know the answer to for certain, but likely correct since they appear to use a proprietary controller. Other brands will source from 2 or 3 vendors when using standard m.2 nvme drives, but I would not be surprised if it was not an option for Apple. It likely has to be consistent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.