Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Knock on wood ... a few posts back, someone mentioned doing the SMC reset twice in a row. I'd done it once before to try and fix this, but no luck. Per the suggestion of the post, I did it twice in a row a couple days ago and haven't had a KP since.

My KPs only occur immediately after entering password on boot from a shutdown state. Haven't had them in any other case. Will continue following and report back either way in a week or so (or if I get another KP).

Still no issues after performing a double (I actually did triple) SMC reset ... still knocking on wood.

Reactions: iZeljko

Qaulity

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2018
Welp, I’m still getting crashes being plugged into my egpu overnight. Bridgeos 3.0. I’ve sent in 2 reports so far but turned off all power saving features since I’m running stuff over night. I’ll be sending them in ASAP though. Interestingly enough, I don’t get crashes just plugged in overnight, which used to be quite common.

brainray

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
I wonder why some have BridgeOS 3.0, some 3.1, I had 3.2? Wouldn't a system update also update the firmware in the T2? I would expect that at this point all (most) users updated to 10.14.1 and have the same bridgeOS version. Or is the firmware not updatable?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I wonder why some have BridgeOS 3.0, some 3.1, I had 3.2? Wouldn't a system update also update the firmware in the T2?
I'm probably on a low (or lower) version of the Bridge OS, because I simply will not update my machine. its stable why take a chance at this stage. I have no need to any updates, Mojave doesn't provide any incentive and the risk of making things worse is too high.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I'm probably on a low (or lower) version of the Bridge OS, because I simply will not update my machine. its stable why take a chance at this stage. I have no need to any updates, Mojave doesn't provide any incentive and the risk of making things worse is too high.

I've found Mojave to be far more stable than High Sierra. Night and day. But in your position I'd be doing exactly the same.

Reactions: n3t_runn3r

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've found Mojave to be far more stable than High Sierra. Night and day. But in your position I'd be doing exactly the same.
I am worried about upsetting the apple cart so to speak, but then I also saw threads about MBP's battery draining and a couple of other issues that seem to be related to Mojave. I forget what I saw regarding those other issues. With level of change slowing down in these updates, its less and less of a temptation for me.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I am worried about upsetting the apple cart so to speak, but then I also saw threads about MBP's battery draining and a couple of other issues that seem to be related to Mojave. I forget what I saw regarding those other issues. With level of change slowing down in these updates, its less and less of a temptation for me.

Yeah Sleep mode is useless in Mojave. Though it's "nearly useless" in High Sierra too. But still far better than Mojave.

Reactions: SDColorado

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Speaking for myself, I will NEVER confidently buy another Apple product on launch day EVER again. They have demonstrated to me (and my friends and family) that neither their product reliability, nor customer service, can be trusted. A purchase decision will only be considered after a product has been in the market for a while, and there's no systemic customer-sat issues.

Great advise but it doesn't just apply to Apple products.

It seems like most companies are asking it's customers to act as beta testers :(.

Bielsa's Bucket

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
Hi All

Long time reader, first time poster, compelled by the fact that these machines clearly have a major issue from day 1.

I myself have had multiple KPs with them being minimised by turning off Siri altogether but I still get occasional ones along with display flickering and flickering of previous videos watched on YouTube when watching Netflix in Safari.

It's concerning that when phoning Apple Support they claim to have no idea of any issue even though there are 100s of pages on this issue here and plenty more on Apple's own site, is there any way Mac Rumours can pick this up as a story to get some traction to find out what the hell is going on with our flagship pro machines that we all rely on for important creative and work related tasks.

I'm sorry to say this issue is just another symptom of the absence of Steve Jobs.

yams317

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2018
Hi All

Long time reader, first time poster, compelled by the fact that these machines clearly have a major issue from day 1.

I myself have had multiple KPs with them being minimised by turning off Siri altogether but I still get occasional ones along with display flickering and flickering of previous videos watched on YouTube when watching Netflix in Safari.

It's concerning that when phoning Apple Support they claim to have no idea of any issue even though there are 100s of pages on this issue here and plenty more on Apple's own site, is there any way Mac Rumours can pick this up as a story to get some traction to find out what the hell is going on with our flagship pro machines that we all rely on for important creative and work related tasks.

I'm sorry to say this issue is just another symptom of the absence of Steve Jobs.

Hi! New here to the forum. I have a 15" Macbook Pro 2018 w/ the hardware specs: i9 processor; 32GB RAM; 1 TB SSD running on Mojave 10.14. Similar to everyone else on this forum, I get the following error when I get a kernel panic:

"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.0 (16P375)"

The kernel panics happen about once a week when I'm using the computer and more frequently when my laptop is asleep. Unlike others in the forum, I generally do not have any accessories, so when it restarts, it occurs when I do not have anything connected to my laptop. When it crashes while the laptop is asleep, it does not generate a crash report, but when it shuts down while I'm using it, it will. I've contacted Apple Care 4 times about this issue so far and have tried the following fixes:
- Updating Mojave
- Running Malware Bytes (no viruses)
- Running Mac Diagnostics (no hardware issues detected)

I did manage to speak to a Senior Advisor after the Mac chat person was entirely unhelpful (said it was an external software problem that might be caused by too many start up programs. If my $3600 laptop can't handle a few programs, I'm going to switch back to PCs). The Senior Advisor told me that there was a ticket for the Bridge OS problem, so some people are looking into it. Maybe if more people complain, they'll create a larger team because this is unacceptable.

Reactions: knweiss and iZeljko

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
Great advise but it doesn't just apply to Apple products.

It seems like most companies are asking it's customers to act as beta testers :(.

I know, right?

While I agree with your observation... I don't like it at all. Its getting increasingly difficult to find a tech supplier, that doesn't abuse their customers. Seems our choices are more based on lesser of two evils, than on a stand-out superior product with good service and support.... tis a shame.

Reactions: knweiss and iZeljko

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I know, right?

While I agree with your observation... I don't like it at all. Its getting increasingly difficult to find a tech supplier, that doesn't abuse their customers. Seems our choices are more based on lesser of two evils, than on a stand-out superior product with good service and support.... tis a shame.

The solution is to wait and not buy the product when it's first released.

Apple software is even free and I learned to not install it till they are at least at rev .4 :).

Note - It may be just me but I never found the support and service more than mediocre at my local Apple store (I already had low expectations).

pulch

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2018
For anyone who saw my previous post sending the MBP to the repair center: they didn't do anything with the hardware since they could not reproduce the problem. They just did another clean install of the OS and sent it back. Not expecting to be KP-free for much longer...

Broslowski

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018
Hi lads. I must report i have 0 KP for very long time now, stil knock knocking on wood but after disabling hey siri everything is good. Stability of Mojave on MBP2018 is super awesome compared to HS... but over all still medicore conpared to 5 yo macbook pro with latest OS...

Also about system sleep on mac os... pure joke. It just does not work - when i am connected to anything and i out device in to sleep via shortcut, it goes for sleep and wake up 10 seconds later... only way how can i put my mac to sleep is by closing lid and disconnect charger.

BlueseaApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
Hi! New here to the forum. I have a 15" Macbook Pro 2018 w/ the hardware specs: i9 processor; 32GB RAM; 1 TB SSD running on Mojave 10.14. Similar to everyone else on this forum, I get the following error when I get a kernel panic:

"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.0 (16P375)"

The kernel panics happen about once a week when I'm using the computer and more frequently when my laptop is asleep. Unlike others in the forum, I generally do not have any accessories, so when it restarts, it occurs when I do not have anything connected to my laptop. When it crashes while the laptop is asleep, it does not generate a crash report, but when it shuts down while I'm using it, it will. I've contacted Apple Care 4 times about this issue so far and have tried the following fixes:
- Updating Mojave

I did manage to speak to a Senior Advisor after the Mac chat person was entirely unhelpful (said it was an external software problem that might be caused by too many start up programs. If my $3600 laptop can't handle a few programs, I'm going to switch back to PCs). The Senior Advisor told me that there was a ticket for the Bridge OS problem, so some people are looking into it. Maybe if more people complain, they'll create a larger team because this is unacceptable.

Take it back for a FULL REFUND as I did.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I've contacted Apple Care 4 times about this issue so far and have tried the following fixes:
- Updating Mojave

If my $3600 laptop can't handle a few programs, I'm going to switch back to PCs).

Bold 1: There are no viruses for macOS/OS X, no need to scan your disk, waste of time.

Bold 2: Thought you were PC user before, this explains it.

There are other things you can do, like resetting SMC and or Pram, disabling certain features, like Siri as suggested here, could be just a bug somewhere, the T2 chip isn't that old, bugs have to be ironed out, they will get it some day, hopefully sooner than later though.

Last edited:
Reactions: iZeljko

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
New VEGA GPUs are now available for CTO orders. The first tier of 15" MBP has also got an optional update bump from 555 to 560X.

I wonder if Apple took this opportunity to re designing the main logic board to add VEGA and at the same time solve the infamous kernel panic issue. Hope it is the case and we finally see stable machines coming out.

Keeping my fingers crossed this time.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
New VEGA GPUs are now available for CTO orders. The first tier of 15" MBP has also got an update bump from 555 to 560X.

I wonder if Apple took this opportunity to re designing the main logic board to add VEGA and at the same time solve the infamous kernel panic issue. Hope it is the case and we finally see stable machines coming out.

Keeping my fingers crossed this time.

That would be a welcome report if it turns out to be the case. If they could just do something with the damnable keyboard while they were at it.... too many wishes? :)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
A year is too old to still be having the issues it is still having. They should have solved it with the iMP first before releasing it in more and more models.

I don't disagree, but it was only on the iMac before, it takes time to mature..without bugs or very few bugs, I believe it will probably never be without bugs though.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I don't disagree, but it was only on the iMac before, it takes time to mature..without bugs or very few bugs, I believe it will probably never be without bugs though.

That’s my worry. Apparently there has been reports of issues with the mini now as well? I would love to think that the new Vega options will be free of the issue, but what’s to lead us to believe that will be true?

As far as not being old in terms of a chip life, all I could think about is something along the lines of ..

Sally: “Frank, I noticed little Billy is still wetting the bed. But he is young, I am sure he will outgrow it”

Frank: “Umm Sally, he is 21. We may have to face the facts that the problem is more than age”

:)

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Same. And constantly find it in my bag attempting to set itself ablaze doing god knows what when it’s supposed to be in sleep mode.

Did you find a solution to this? I'm having the same problem and spent a lot of time with senior apple support to try to resolve the problem but no luck as yet. I'd very much appreciate an update and I haven't the time to read 100+ pages of replies :) Thanks in advance.

brainray

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
Got my MBP 13 2018 3 days ago and had the first crash on first boot seeing the language selector.

Bridge OS 3.2 (16P52534b) on that machine.

I'm getting the unit replaced this week. Support asked me to do SMC reset but I did't do it. I asked them to send me a replacement or give my money back.
I'll keep you posted.

Okay, got my replacement Mac (it was also refurbished, had 9 battery cycles): 2 days fine, now KP's every time I try to record audio inside Screenflow "Record Computer Audio".

Bridge OS 3.2 (16P52534b) on that machine.
macOS 10.14.1
Macbook 13", i7, 500 GB SSD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.