Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fburatti

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2018
Hi, I have a brand new macbook pro 15 "2018 and in the first ten days of use I had 3 KB due to the "bridge os" error. They always occurred during the simple web browsing with the Chrome browser.
Since yesterday, Apple support advised me to create and use a new admin user, done!
This morning I installed the latest version of Mojave (10.14.2), fingers crossed...

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
The bridge os errors are more likely due to something going on in the background that has a more direct connection to the T2 and bridge os functions. I don't think Chrome in and of itself would be the root cause. Please report back if anyone continues to see the bridge os reports after this last update. I have been ok since the last 10.14.2 beta and forward, but my panics have been infrequent anyway.

Bielsa's Bucket

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
Just updated hoping it would solve the KP issue and after the update my music an downloads folders have just disappeared (I'm a DJ so they are pretty important folders), on with Apple Support now, no KPs as of yet though!

This sort of stuff wouldn't happen if Steve was still around!

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Just updated hoping it would solve the KP issue and after the update my music an downloads folders have just disappeared (I'm a DJ so they are pretty important folders), on with Apple Support now, no KPs as of yet though!

This sort of stuff wouldn't happen if Steve was still around!

Just stop. Apple had plenty of issues on Steve's watch.

betadecay

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
Just FYI:
BridgeOS Firmware 16P2542 after Mojave 10.14.2 update. Still have bug_type 210 KPs with panic_string "thunderbolt power on failed".

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
Its not an app, its the "system", so a great place to update could just be in the "system" preference . . I'm not saying . . I'm just saying.
Or, they could just leave it where it has been, with all the other updates, where it is sure not to be missed. By your logic, why not update each app inside that app’s preferences.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
Or, they could just leave it where it has been, with all the other updates, where it is sure not to be missed. By your logic, why not update each app inside that app’s preferences.
Apps from outside the App Store oftentimes do just that, just so you know, so it’s not as questionable as you make it sound like. But that’s besides the point. Their logic is, App updates in the App Store, system updates in the App dedicated to the system itself where you would also go for all other things concerning the OS settings in general. Makes a lot of sense to me; I never saw a good reason why the system updates should be thrown into the same bucket as ordinary app updates, it’s not the case with iOS either.

„Where it’s sure not to be missed“… eh. I’d say it’s much more „sure not to be missed“ in the System Preferences since a badge on the System Preferences Icon sticks out much more than on the App Store icon, where you also get badge indicators for app updates all the time. You don’t get any other badge indicators on the System Preferences icon usually, so when you see one, you’ll know it’s an OS update. In any case, I think this is a fairly silly thing to be outraged about - a lot of people are asking Apple to be more consistent with things, but when they actually make a change that only serves consistency, then it’s a „useless“ change. Guess you can’t please everyone.

Reactions: edenorchestra

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
Apps from outside the App Store oftentimes do just that, just so you know, so it’s not as questionable as you make it sound like. But that’s besides the point. Their logic is, App updates in the App Store, system updates in the App dedicated to the system itself where you would also go for all other things concerning the OS settings in general. Makes a lot of sense to me; I never saw a good reason why the system updates should be thrown into the same bucket as ordinary app updates, it’s not the case with iOS either.

„Where it’s sure not to be missed“… eh. I’d say it’s much more „sure not to be missed“ in the System Preferences since a badge on the System Preferences Icon sticks out much more than on the App Store icon, where you also get badge indicators for app updates all the time. You don’t get any other badge indicators on the System Preferences icon usually, so when you see one, you’ll know it’s an OS update. In any case, I think this is a fairly silly thing to be outraged about - a lot of people are asking Apple to be more consistent with things, but when they actually make a change that only serves consistency, then it’s a „useless“ change. Guess you can’t please everyone.
Pointless argument for pointless argument’s sake. Who said anything about being outraged? It’s just another useless change. It is a change that caused myself and others to not see the update. So I commented on it being a pointless change. Then a few people have to chime in for no reason as though I was trying to start some big discussion.

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore

Yes, the standard way to update an App prior to the Mac App Store was "Check for Updates" in the menu option under the app. However this requires you to restart the app in case an update was found and downloaded.

Now the Mac App Store can keep apps updated automatically.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
so do the KP continue after disabling most of the T2's functions like what was suggested by Apple? (filevault, etc..)
much less here and limited to startup or reboot now. None last few days after 10.14.2 but may be too early to tell.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
Pointless argument for pointless argument’s sake. Who said anything about being outraged? It’s just another useless change. It is a change that caused myself and others to not see the update. So I commented on it being a pointless change. Then a few people have to chime in for no reason as though I was trying to start some big discussion.
And a change that might easily help people find the update faster/easier in the long-term, so maybe not that useless to everyone as it is to you. I know some people who got their first Mac after being on iOS devices for years and to who it didn't even occur to check the update section for apps when looking for an OS update.

So if you share an opinion about it then it's you sharing your opinion, but if others equally share their opinion about the same topic that just happens to be different than yours then it's a "pointless argument for pointless argument's sake" and "chiming in for no reason"? :rolleyes: Okay then...

Reactions: Trey M and HenryDJP

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
And a change that might easily help people find the update faster/easier in the long-term, so maybe not that useless to everyone as it is to you. I know some people who got their first Mac after being on iOS devices for years and to who it didn't even occur to check the update section for apps when looking for an OS update.

So if you share an opinion about it then it's you sharing your opinion, but if others equally share their opinion about the same topic that just happens to be different than yours then it's a "pointless argument for pointless argument's sake" and "chiming in for no reason"? :rolleyes: Okay then...
Debating whether this change is good was not the point of my post, and you're beating this to death. Obviously I was expressing my opinion, and obviously other people are bound to have other opinions. I say chiming in for no reason because that doesn't need to be pointed out, and it is not the point of this thread. You are dragging this thread off of its very important topic.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Debating whether this change is good was not the point of my post, and you're beating this to death. Obviously I was expressing my opinion, and obviously other people are bound to have other opinions. I say chiming in for no reason because that doesn't need to be pointed out, and it is not the point of this thread. You are dragging this thread off of its very important topic.

And obviously, this endless prattle has derailed a once-useful thread. Can we get back "on topic"?

edenorchestra

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
Pennsylvania
It's not an app!
[doublepost=1544217038][/doublepost]
No no, you made a point, I and others did as well . . . it's called a forum.
[doublepost=1544217075][/doublepost]
And obviously, this endless prattle has derailed a once-useful thread. Can we get back "on topic"?
That's my fault . . sorry

Reactions: afir93

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
It's not an app!
[doublepost=1544217038][/doublepost]
No no, you made a point, I and others did as well . . . it's called a forum.
[doublepost=1544217075][/doublepost]
That's my fault . . sorry
That it is not an app is irrelevant to my point. It was always in the App Store. The App Store is still where Apple keeps prompting me to upgrade my iMacs and Mac Pro to Mojave. Is Mojave an app? This is a forum, but this thread is not about how updating is done. A debate about the wisdom of the change would be a topic for another thread. You are making a whole debate of it within this thread. It does not belong here. I only ever mentioned it in this thread because I was sitting around waiting for the update to 10.4.2 to appear in the App Store, which was the only logical place for someone who had never used Mojave to look for it.
[doublepost=1544247672][/doublepost]The first day with my replacement MacBook Pro is over, and I haven't had a single malfunction. Apple got it to me very quickly (I ordered it Monday morning, and it arrived Friday morning). I did everything I could think of that made it malfunction before. I took a few long Face Time calls which, on the original 2018 MacBook Pro I bought, were causing my external bus-powered SSD drive to dismount without ejecting. This time no problems. I took many photos with Photo Booth (which also were causing the drive to eject on my original MacBook Pro) and, again, no problem. Some have reported getting an error to occur by shooting around 2 hours of video with Photo Booth. I shot 2 hours and 30 minutes, no problem.

I've only installed one app so far (Art Text 3), and I only installed it because when I installed it on my original MacBook Pro, that MacBook Pro crashed. I set my original MacBook Pro (that I received 2 weeks ago) up completely with all my apps as soon as I received it (I did not use Migration Assistant). This time I'm only going to install what I need when I need it so I can see if any Apps make the problems start.

Even though my original MacBook Pro started having problems almost immediately and this new one isn't, I know it's far too soon to say the new one is problem-free. I'll have to go weeks without problems before I even start to think it isn't going to have the Bridge OS KPs. I'll be happy to try anything within reason to duplicate any circumstances others have found are allowing them to replicate the KP issue.

The configuration of this new MacBook Pro is the same as my original one: 2018 MB Pro, i7 2.6 GHz, 32GB RAM, 2TB internal hard drive, Vega 20 card. I tried to use the same setting when I set it up (file vault on, touch ID on, Siri on, no Apple Pay). But I didn't choose Dark Mode this time. I updated Mojave right away (which I couldn't do the first time, of course).

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
That it is not an app is irrelevant to my point. It was always in the App Store. The App Store is still where Apple keeps prompting me to upgrade my iMacs and Mac Pro to Mojave. Is Mojave an app? This is a forum, but this thread is not about how updating is done. A debate about the wisdom of the change would be a topic for another thread. You are making a whole debate of it within this thread. It does not belong here. I only ever mentioned it in this thread because I was sitting around waiting for the update to 10.4.2 to appear in the App Store, which was the only logical place for someone who had never used Mojave to look for it.

Let. It. Go.

Last edited:

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
I'm testing my replacement 2018 MacBook Pro. I think when I closed the lid, it shut down. I mean that when I opened the lid, it restarted (black screen with white Apple Logo), and I am all but certain I had not shut it down. I think this is one of the issues people are reporting that are attributed to this T2/Bridge OS issue.

Is this one of the ways this problem is manifesting? I didn't get an error message stating that my MBP had to restart, and no error logs to send to Apple (I did get that at least once on my original MBP that this new one replaced).

Is there a way to check to see if an error occurred? Are there some sort of reports or error logs I can check in Console or something? Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.