Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
This crash says that the camera <-> T2 connection seems to have a problem. You can also test the camera by recording the camera signal to Quicktime. My second MacBook only seemed to have this camera flaw, everything else was fine. I sent it back for a refund.

Is it acceptable for a 2000 Euro/Dollar++ computer to have a broken camera on arrival? IMHO not. This seems to be a common problem, that's why I mentioned it.
brainray - I haven't had any luck getting Photo Booth to cause an issue, but I have been able to replicate a video issue. I have an Envoy Pro EX 2TB portable, bus-powered SSD connected to my MacBook Pro. It dismounts sometimes randomly, and I have been able to get it to dismount three times now when a friend hangs up at the end of a long Face Time call (more than 15 or 20 minutes). I suspect all of these drive dismounts are related to this T2 chip/Bridge OS issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: brainray

arturo902018

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
I am also having these problems. Except mine are nightly reboots:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2.9 GHz Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 M

Reactions: KDLM

slicktromboner

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2018
I'm glad I found this thread. Opened a chat and cancelled my order for a 13-inch 2.3/16/512 refurb. No one is sure if it is a hardware problem or software problem, or a combination of the two. That this has been a problem for nearly a year and affects their entire product line makes the MacBook keyboard issue look quaint in comparison.

One thing is for sure, I don't want it to become my problem.

I think I'll wait, or start looking for a 15-inch, 2015 in good condition.

marchellow

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2012
I stopped using Safari and the last reboot I had was more than a month ago.
Maybe it is totally unrelated, but that is the case.
Most of my reboots were not kernel panic though, just "regular" reboots...

bobdob

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Mojave 10.14.2 is out..lets see if something is fixed

I don't see anything in the change log for it, but I probably wouldn't really expect there to be, even if they did fix it. It would be good for people to update and chime in if there is any improvement on this fiasco.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
I don't see anything in the change log for it, but I probably wouldn't really expect there to be, even if they did fix it. It would be good for people to update and chime in if there is any improvement on this fiasco.
Yeah, how would they put that. "Fixes a cornucopia of issues with the T2 chip that we kept selling even though we knew it was causing all kinds of problems."

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Just got it installed ... appears the T2 firmware was updated to "16P2542" on my machine (2018 13" MBP). Fingers crossed ...

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
As in you were just updated to it on this new mojave update or thats an older firmware that you have already had?
I just checked my MBP that I special-ordered about three weeks ago, and it has firmware version 16P2088 on the T2 chip. So they were using that firmware when this was built (about two weeks ago).

On a separate note, for some reason I don't see the new Mojave update in the App Store when I go to Updates. I've tried refreshing it. Maybe they stagger the availability to prevent heavy demand all at once?

CrashTestWalrus

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
I just checked my MBP that I special-ordered about three weeks ago, and it has firmware version 16P2088 on the T2 chip. So they were using that firmware when this was built (about two weeks ago).

On a separate note, for some reason I don't see the new Mojave update in the App Store when I go to Updates. I've tried refreshing it. Maybe they stagger the availability to prevent heavy demand all at once?
For Mojave you have to look in system preferences for MacOS Updates. I think they did that to make it more like iOS.

Marketh

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2018
Manchester, UK

This shows that they are actively working on this at least, if they are/were shipping new models with 10.14.1 but with a later version of T2 firmware. Plus if there are new builds at least every 2 weeks, promising sign for those affected.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
As in you were just updated to it on this new mojave update or thats an older firmware that you have already had?

I believe it updated to 16P2542 today when I went to Mojave 10.14.2
EDIT: Yes I just checked my records, I was on 16P2088 prior to today's update.

Last edited:

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Thanks! I did not know they had changed that. Another useless change that somebody could suggest and implement to justify their salary.
Personally I think it makes a lot more sense to update your operating system in ‘System Preferences’ vs the App Store...

Last edited:

bobdob

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
I guess only time will tell if this fixed much. For those that were affected by bridge OS errors and just updated, any status updates throughout the next week or so would be helpful. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Plutonius

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
BTW: have you done the Photo Booth test? Open PB, switch to video mode and start recording. Let the computer record like 2 hours. Many of us have crashes/KP within this time. If you have this one, I'd return it without talking to the GB guy.
Well, so much for this update fixing everything. After updating to Mojave 10.4.2 (and the new T2 firmware), I was able to duplicate a problem I've been having, but with Photo Booth this time. With my Envoy Pro XE external, bus-powered hard drive connected to my 2018 MBP, it spontaneously dismounted (causing the Mac OS warning for not properly ejecting) when I took several photos with Photo Booth.

Before I have been able to get this dismounting to happen when the other person on a FaceTime call hangs up. From what I've read here, this may well be T2 related. I'll test it with FaceTime, too, later. Of course, I guess this might not be the same issue as these KPs and spontaneous reboots.

I tried the Photo Booth test you recommended (recording video for 2 hours). I let it run for 2 hours and 20 minutes, and it did not cause any problems (no KPs and no drive dismounts). In fact, I haven't had any kernel panics or random reboots in at least around 48 hours, I think.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
I guess only time will tell if this fixed much. For those that were affected by bridge OS errors and just updated, any status updates throughout the next week or so would be helpful. Fingers crossed.
Right? We'll see...

tcador

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
NYC
I just received 2018 15” MBP, 2.6/32g/512gb and got first KP this morning on Mojave at work with no accessories attached. I plan to update to 10.14.2 in the morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.