Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
You asked, what do you think.... I think it's heat related.... hence all the randomness.....
I think Apple's design is flawed, period. They're running all too hot.... cheers.....
If that's the case, man it's going to be a cold winter.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
You asked, what do you think.... I think it's heat related.... hence all the randomness.....
I think Apple's design is flawed, period. They're running all too hot.... cheers.....

Interesting idea! But at least in my hands, the KPs are not heat related. I've experienced KPs when the machine was not being worked hard and the CPU temperatures were in the 60C range. Also, in my hands, the 2018 MBPs, when being worked hard, their CPU temperatures rise only to 100C at which point the CPU frequencies are throttled back so that the CPU temperatures never go above 100C -- I've never seen CPU temperatures above 100C even with full utilization of 12 threads.

EDIT: Also, heat would not explain the KPs being experienced on the iMac Pros which utilize server-grade Xeon CPUs -- really, the primary common thing between the iMac Pros and the 2018 MBPs is the T2 chip.

Last edited:
Reactions: guillone

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
Well, after five trouble-free days, my replacement 2018 MacBook Pro (2.6 GHz, 32GB, 2TB, Vega 20) is now experiencing the Bridge OS error. I returned home to find it had shut down. When I opened the lid, it rebooted and gave me an error message with logs to send to Apple that begin with: {"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.2 (16P2542)","timestamp":"2018-12-12 21:36:50.44 +0000","incident_id":

So, I've purchased two of this exact same model with the same specifications (both Vega 20), and both have now experienced this error. I think this second MBP actually shut itself down once before, but there was no error report. When this error happened, the lid was shut. The only apps I was running were Pages, Safari and Console. On the first MBP, since I was not aware of any potential problems, I installed all of the apps I use right away. On this replacement MBP, the only app I've installed is Art Text 3 (it was not open when this crash happened, and I haven't used it on this MBP at all). Two things were connected to this second MBP when it crashed: an OWC Envoy Pro EX bus-powered 2TB hard drive and an OWC 14 port dock (which was only charging the MBP, nothing was connected to the dock). I don't think either of these connected devices could be the problem because my first MBP was crashing before I even bought these. @IdentityCrisis - I'm afraid this is proof that the T2 issue is still a problem with the Vega 20 equipped models. I do have FileVault turned on.

This is very disturbing. I don't know what to do now. This replacement MBP is having far fewer crashes than the first one, but I don't know if that is any reason to keep it. I've heard so many people say that Macs with the T2 chips are either affected or unaffected. If that's true, I should continue to try to get one without the problem. I guess I'll probably order another MBP equipped exactly the same and see if it has the T2/Bridge problem.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

jbg95

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
Well, after five trouble-free days, my replacement 2018 MacBook Pro (2.6 GHz, 32GB, 2TB, Vega 20) is now experiencing the Bridge OS error. I returned home to find it had shut down. When I opened the lid, it rebooted and gave me an error message with logs to send to Apple that begin with: {"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.2 (16P2542)","timestamp":"2018-12-12 21:36:50.44 +0000","incident_id":

So, I've purchased two of this exact same model with the same specifications (both Vega 20), and both have now experienced this error. I think this second MBP actually shut itself down once before, but there was no error report. When this error happened, the lid was shut. The only apps I was running were Pages, Safari and Console. On the first MBP, since I was not aware of any potential problems, I installed all of the apps I use right away. On this replacement MBP, the only app I've installed is Art Text 3 (it was not open when this crash happened, and I haven't used it on this MBP at all). Two things were connected to this second MBP when it crashed: an OWC Envoy Pro EX bus-powered 2TB hard drive and an OWC 14 port dock (which was only charging the MBP, nothing was connected to the dock). I don't think either of these connected devices could be the problem because my first MBP was crashing before I even bought these. @IdentityCrisis - I'm afraid this is proof that the T2 issue is still a problem with the Vega 20 equipped models. I do have FileVault turned on.

This is very disturbing. I don't know what to do now. This replacement MBP is having far fewer crashes than the first one, but I don't know if that is any reason to keep it. I've heard so many people say that Macs with the T2 chips are either affected or unaffected. If that's true, I should continue to try to get one without the problem. I guess I'll probably order another MBP equipped exactly the same and see if it has the T2/Bridge problem.

Bummer to hear, I was hoping you would have success with the replacement. I'm typing this reply on my new refurb 2017 that arrived yesterday. I'm sending the 2018 back. I'd like to think the upcoming Mojave update will improve the odds, but who knows. I don't know how (or if it's possible) to get any insight from Apple (short of logging a ticket, pursing trial and error fixes until it escalates to someone in engineering).

On my 2018, which I've had just less than a month, I never plugged it into external devices (displays, drives, etc) aside from a portable HD to grab a backup to transfer to this laptop. I used the exact same apps I used on my old 2017 but did reinstall from scratch on the 2018. So, all fresh installs of well knows apps (MS Office, FCP, browsers, nothing I haven't used for over a decade or two successfully on other laptops).

I find it interesting that 75% of users (granted not a great sample size and there is likely some sorts of bias) in the poll on this forum have experienced no issues (and I'd assume anyone here knows if they'd experienced an issue). BUT, if you look at the number of users who had a a problem pre 10.14.2 vs after, there are still 10 votes who continue to have issues and 4 who don't (or more likely haven't 'yet'). Ignoring bias, one could conclude the situation is improving, but it's not over. At that rate could take Apple a while to fix it, but they quite likely will as they have to support the T2 architecture in the log run. Personally, I'm going to stick with the 2017 for a year or more until I hear better reports of reliability and Apple works out some of the kinks. I do miss the 2018 keyboard, though. Much quieter and smoother than this 2017.

content

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2015

If it were me, I would give it one last try.
[doublepost=1544663856][/doublepost]
Bummer to hear, I was hoping you would have success with the replacement. I'm typing this reply on my new refurb 2017 that arrived yesterday. I'm sending the 2018 back. I'd like to think the upcoming Mojave update will improve the odds, but who knows. I don't know how (or if it's possible) to get any insight from Apple (short of logging a ticket, pursing trial and error fixes until it escalates to someone in engineering).

On my 2018, which I've had just less than a month, I never plugged it into external devices (displays, drives, etc) aside from a portable HD to grab a backup to transfer to this laptop. I used the exact same apps I used on my old 2017 but did reinstall from scratch on the 2018. So, all fresh installs of well knows apps (MS Office, FCP, browsers, nothing I haven't used for over a decade or two successfully on other laptops).

I find it interesting that 75% of users (granted not a great sample size and there is likely some sorts of bias) in the poll on this forum have experienced no issues (and I'd assume anyone here knows if they'd experienced an issue). BUT, if you look at the number of users who had a a problem pre 10.14.2 vs after, there are still 10 votes who continue to have issues and 4 who don't (or more likely haven't 'yet'). Ignoring bias, one could conclude the situation is improving, but it's not over. At that rate could take Apple a while to fix it, but they quite likely will as they have to support the T2 architecture in the log run. Personally, I'm going to stick with the 2017 for a year or more until I hear better reports of reliability and Apple works out some of the kinks. I do miss the 2018 keyboard, though. Much quieter and smoother than this 2017.
I am in a similar situation. I am reluctantly using a 2017 T1 without issue.

Reactions: Never mind and KDLM

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018

This is very disturbing. I don't know what to do now. This replacement MBP is having far fewer crashes than the first one, but I don't know if that is any reason to keep it. I've heard so many people say that Macs with the
T2 chips are either affected or unaffected. If that's true, I should continue to try to get one without the problem. I guess I'll probably order another MBP equipped exactly the same and see if it has the T2/Bridge problem.

Turn FileVault off. See what happens. I’m not using it and my system has been solid. Sorry you keep having issues though.

Reactions: iZeljko and KDLM

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
@jbg95 @IdentityCrisis @content - Thanks. I think I am going to order another one.

To top all of this off, I started the return process for my first MBP yesterday (I bought the second one before even beginning to return the first). For whatever reasons, Apple had difficulty locating my order (even with my order number a copy of the order I provided them). I spoke to no fewer than six people at Apple yesterday in a series of calls that lasted over 90 minutes to get a return label emailed to me. By this morning, the label had not arrived. I called again today and spent over 70 minutes on the phone talking to four more Apple representatives before I finally spoke to someone who manually emailed me the return label. This was all complete nonsense. I'm still within the returns period. They just couldn't generate the return label for some reason. That's on top of all the frustration of the two failed MBPs.

I spoke to a guy who is a tech at OWC today. He told me that they are well aware of the T2 issue. I'm sure they have to be because people buying peripherals could attribute problems to the peripherals they sell. This rep seemed certain that some T2 machines are affected, and some are not. You either get one that is, or you get one that isn't. He seemed very knowledgeable. That's not to say that I take his word as gospel, but his is another well-informed voice.

I fear that if I stick with an MBP that is having problems, I'll be stuck with it forever. If the problems become worse, I'll get in a never-ending loop of Apple Care support calls, Genius Bar appointments, etc. I don't know what ultimate resolution I could even hope for. It's a $5000 computer. Will I be stuck trying to get an exchange for a newer one once they hopefully start manufacturing ones without the problem? Or would they just be pawning off refurbs that would likely still have the problem on me? This has been incredibly frustrating and disheartening.

Last edited:

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
This is my theory.
Given that people with problem keeps having the same issue after repeated replacement, while those without any problem is not having the issue right away, I believe it's something to do with types and brand of peripherals or telecommunication connection that each is using. Or too many things cramped in the small physical package is causing interferance with some vital and sensitive parts.

Or perhaps MBP with T2 chip is very sensitive to communication and/or power compliance to USB-C standard or whatever.

Of course, all this is my pure imaginery thought.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
I've found my solution. I had to get off this merry-go-round. I can't risk getting another T2 MacBook Pro only to go through days or weeks of a seeming lack of problems, only to start having them after the returns period. So I got BH Photo's site and found a mid-2017 MBP with 3.1 GHZ i7, 1TB, 16 GB, AMD Radeon Pro 560 Graphics (4GB GGDR5) and Touch Bar. It's my understanding that this MBP does not have a T2 chip.

I'm giving up 16GB of RAM, a better video card, and 1TB of hard drive space (and a lesser processor), but I'm going to save almost $2,500 when you factor in the price difference and the fact that BH does not charge sales tax when shipping to my state. I do think Apple will take care of everyone with a T2 chip computer. I think they have to. The problem will probably get better and better with each Mojave update, and it really sounds like some people will never have the problem. I just can't deal with the uncertainty.

In the end, given the price difference, this made sense for me. Also, the computer this MacBook Pro is replacing is a late 2013 27" iMac that has an earlier generation of i7 (3.5 GHz) and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB video card. I think even this 2017 MacBook Pro should kick the butt of that iMac in just about every way, except that the 2017 MBP only has 16GB of RAM. I like to keep a lot of windows open, so I don't know what effect that will have. I will only occasionally use this MBP for video editing. I edit multiple streams of 4K video (not incompressible video, however), and my 2013 iMac does fine with it. So this MBP should do even better, I'd think. My main computer that I usually edit on is a Mac Pro 2013 (the trash can) with an 8 core Xeon, dual 6GB video cards and 64GB RAM. I don't think any MacBook would touch its performance with FCP.

Reactions: content

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
So I got BH Photo's site and found a mid-2017 MBP with 3.1 GHZ i7, 1TB, 16 GB, AMD Radeon Pro 560 Graphics (4GB GGDR5) and Touch Bar.

I ordered the same one from B&H back in November. Does it say backordered on your status ?

I have been waiting on my order since black Friday / cyber Monday but recently saw they got a shipment in (maybe you timed it right). Knowing my luck, you will still receive yours before I get mine :).

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Nah. Many reports of untaxed units having problems

Last edited:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Does anyone that has updated to 10.14.2 or later still have the bridge os crash?

LogicalChaos

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2018
Does anyone that has updated to 10.14.2 or later still have the bridge os crash?

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.3 (16P53118a)","timestamp":"2018-12-13 02:46:12.19 +0000","incident_id":"..."}

10.14.3 Beta (18D21c), having the problem. Machine is 3 days old, restored from a 2016 MBP. Disabled FileVault, we'll see what happens.

Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 9 MB
Memory: 32 GB

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
My main computer that I usually edit on is a Mac Pro 2013 (the trash can) with an 8 core Xeon, dual 6GB video cards and 64GB RAM.

My main computer is a Mac Pro 5,1 with a Sapphire 7950 Mac edition and I just bricked it today installing the last Safari security update (2nd Mac Pro I lost doing Apple updates) :(. I hope B&H ships the MacBook Pro I had on order so I will have something until I figure out what to do with my bricked Mac Pro.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
I ordered the same one from B&H back in November. Does it say backordered on your status ?

I have been waiting on my order since black Friday / cyber Monday but recently saw they got a shipment in (maybe you timed it right). Knowing my luck, you will still receive yours before I get mine :).
@Plutonius - Are you sure you ordered the exact same configuration? They have it in silver and space gray, and they both are list in stock. I paid for expedited shipping. I just checked and mine has shipped and will arrive tomorrow. If yours hasn't shipped, I'd call them and ask why (if you have the same configuration).

How did you ruin a Mac Pro installing an update? I've never heard of ruining any Mac by updating it. I take it it's not covered by Apple Care? Shouldn't you be able to take it somewhere and get it fixed? You can't boot from time machine or do a fresh install?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
@Plutonius - Are you sure you ordered the exact same configuration? They have it in silver and space gray, and they both are list in stock. I paid for expedited shipping. I just checked and mine has shipped and will arrive tomorrow. If yours hasn't shipped, I'd call them and ask why (if you have the same configuration).

How did you ruin a Mac Pro installing an update? I've never heard of ruining any Mac by updating it. I take it it's not covered by Apple Care? Shouldn't you be able to take it somewhere and get it fixed? You can't boot from time machine or do a fresh install?

Must be first in last out :). I ordered the silver one and didn't select expedited shipping when I ordered it.

I think that the update probably tried updating the flash on the motherboard. I always worry when the flash is updated since the computer will probably be bricked if the update fails for any reason. Looking through the forums, I have seen a few different threads on people's 2012 Mac Pros that were recently bricked during an update.

Talking with other people in the MacRumors Mac Pro section, it looks like it's a logic board issue (either hardware or corrupted firmware (BootOS)). It will not boot up from time machine or any drive I try. I just get a black screen and an unresponsive keyboard. The Mac Pro 5,1 (2012) is on the vintage list and Apple will not even touch it.

One suggestion that I will probably do is order a small card that you plug into the diagnostic port on the logic board. The card replaces the flash chip on the logic board and allows the computer to boot up if was a BootOS firmware issue. You are then able to fix your original BootOS firmware. If it doesn't boot, the logic board is faulty and needs replacing.

I'm hoping that B&H will ship me my MacBook Pro soon and it has no problems. My old 2010 MacBook Pro works but I can't do much on it. Let me know how yours works out and if you see the same issues in your 2017 that the 2018 MacBook Pros have (minus any T2 issues).

Reactions: KDLM

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
Must be first in last out :). I ordered the silver one and didn't select expedited shipping when I ordered it.

I think that the update probably tried updating the flash on the motherboard. I always worry when the flash is updated since the computer will probably be bricked if the update fails for any reason. Looking through the forums, I have seen a few different threads on people's 2012 Mac Pros that were recently bricked during an update.

Talking with other people in the MacRumors Mac Pro section, it looks like it's a logic board issue (either hardware or corrupted firmware (BootOS)). It will not boot up from time machine or any drive I try. I just get a black screen and an unresponsive keyboard. The Mac Pro 5,1 (2012) is on the vintage list and Apple will not even touch it.

One suggestion that I will probably do is order a small card that you plug into the diagnostic port on the logic board. The card replaces the flash chip on the logic board and allows the computer to boot up if was a BootOS firmware issue. You are then able to fix your original BootOS firmware. If it doesn't boot, the logic board is faulty and needs replacing.

I'm hoping that B&H will ship me my MacBook Pro soon and it has no problems. My old 2010 MacBook Pro works but I can't do much on it. Let me know how yours works out and if you see the same issues in your 2017 that the 2018 MacBook Pros have (minus any T2 issues).
Oh, I didn't catch that you're Mac Pro is the Tower that was made before the current design. I guess those Mac Pro towers are pretty close to obsolete in a lot of ways now? I don't think a 2017 MBP can have these same issues discussed in this thread. I'm pretty sure the 2017 MBP does not have the T2 chip.

betadecay

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.3 (16P53118a)","timestamp":"2018-12-13 02:46:12.19 +0000","incident_id":"..."}

10.14.3 Beta (18D21c), having the problem. Machine is 3 days old, restored from a 2016 MBP. Disabled FileVault, we'll see what happens.

Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 9 MB
Memory: 32 GB

I would like to see the MacOsPanicString from your KP logo_O

relbek

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2018
I just found this thread after searching for my same issue. I bought a 2018 MacBook Pro. No issues until I installed two moderately demanding video games (Warcraft and Guild Wars). Both games throw the Bridge OS errors. Tried multiple solutions: resets, filevault disables, graphics switching disabled, reinstall fresh Mojave with only the games installed. Still would error out. Finally decided to try the old High Sierra OS. No Errors at all. At least for my Bridge OS error I am going to assume it is a compatibility error with Mojave and software. I'm wondering if Mojave just isn't as fine tuned as it needs to be prior to release. I welcome any input as I'm new to Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.