Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
I just found this thread after searching for my same issue. I bought a 2018 MacBook Pro. No issues until I installed two moderately demanding video games (Warcraft and Guild Wars). Both games throw the Bridge OS errors. Tried multiple solutions: resets, filevault disables, graphics switching disabled, reinstall fresh Mojave with only the games installed. Still would error out. Finally decided to try the old High Sierra OS. No Errors at all. At least for my Bridge OS error I am going to assume it is a compatibility error with Mojave and software. I'm wondering if Mojave just isn't as fine tuned as it needs to be prior to release. I welcome any input as I'm new to Macs.
@relbek - If you read through all of the posts, you might come to the conclusion that this will not necessarily be resolved by software fixes. Also, just because you do not have problems now does not mean that your problems are gone. My second 2018 MBP (I returned the first one due to many KPs) worked fine for about 4 or 5 days before it started with the errors. Another poster said that his lasted for weeks with no errors. Many people here think this is a hardware issue that will never be completely resolved with updates. I did not want to risk ongoing problems. They were driving me crazy. So I gave up and bought a new 2017 MB Pro from BH Photo (it does not have the T2 chip). I did not want to do that, but I could not live with paying almost $5K for a MB Pro that might start crashing at any time. It's a different choice for everyone, of course. I'm just saying that, were I you, I would not presume your problems are at an end.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Well, I don't what's going on. I will say that I just, 30 minutes ago, opened my brand-new 2018 13" MacBook Pro, 16GB, 512GB, i7. It looked great. BUT I tried, twice, the simple task of updating Mojave from 10.14.1 to 10.14.2, and it froze dead each time. It's going back tomorrow.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Well, I don't what's going on. I will say that I just, 30 minutes ago, opened my brand-new 2018 13" MacBook Pro, 16GB, 512GB, i7. It looked great. BUT I tried, twice, the simple task of updating Mojave from 10.14.1 to 10.14.2, and it froze dead each time. It's going back tomorrow.

That's a weird one. A new one will/shoud have 10.14.2 preinstalled.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I just found this thread after searching for my same issue. I bought a 2018 MacBook Pro. No issues until I installed two moderately demanding video games (Warcraft and Guild Wars). Both games throw the Bridge OS errors. Tried multiple solutions: resets, filevault disables, graphics switching disabled, reinstall fresh Mojave with only the games installed. Still would error out. Finally decided to try the old High Sierra OS. No Errors at all. At least for my Bridge OS error I am going to assume it is a compatibility error with Mojave and software. I'm wondering if Mojave just isn't as fine tuned as it needs to be prior to release. I welcome any input as I'm new to Macs.

Sorry to hear this is your first Mac experience. This is the first Mac to have so many issues and it all comes down to Intel and the T2 chip. These aren't playing nice together. Intel was supposed to have cooler chips by now and they didn't deliver. These 14nm Coffee Lake were not good enough for slim laptops, they have throttling issues and power spikes that are screwing up app performance and attached devices.
[doublepost=1544864386][/doublepost]
I don't know how quickly that would be the case. The 2018 MBP I received last week, which was a special order with the Vega 20, came with 10.14.1.

If you want you can open the box in store and ask the assistant to install 10.14.2 directly from an image. They have that ability to wipe the internal drive and restore the latest build. It only takes 30 mins on their network.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017

Sorry to hear about your trouble - I know it can be frustrating.

I've had exactly the same experience of failing to upgrade, first on one 2018 MBP upgrading from 10.13.6 to 10.14, then on another 2018 MBP upgrading from 10.14 to 10.14.1, and finally on a third 2018 MBP going from 10.14.1 to 10.14.2. I found that the cause of these failures was a WiFi connection issue where the WiFi hardware was still working (SNR=50dBm) but the 2018 MBPs somehow loose DNS information, including in the middle of a transmission. I've had these WiFi connection issues interrupt not only Software Updates, but also rsync file transfers (errors="broken pipe"), ping (repeated failures to both Internet and intranet machines), Safari (couldn't even read my email), Chrome (failed to load pages), Firefox (same), ssh (broken pipes), Time Machine (backups over WiFi failed partway through: multiple failed first backups), AirDrop (multiple failed video transfers), and SMB mounted hard drives (improperly ejected).

So, back to your problem...I found that these WiFi connection issues are relatively rare, occur randomly, and are usually (but not always) intermittent (they often resolve themselves: and I've timed these resolutions to occur from under a minute all the way out to 15 hours). In my hands, by repeatedly trying the rsync file transfers, such as the Software Update of the macOS, especially when transferring large files, you will eventually have success when no WiFi disconnect interrupts the transfer midstream. This is how I eventually was successful with my upgrades from 10.13.6 to 10.14 to 10.14.1 to 10.14.2.

EDIT: Instead of waiting for these WiFi issues to fix themselves, you can manually fix them simply by cycling your WiFi off and then back on. This won't restore the "broken pipes", so you'll have to restart any rsyncs, software updates, backups, etc. that were interrupted, but it does shorten your wait time.

On the other hand, I think you are wise to return the machine, because again, in my hands, these problems only tend to increase in frequency over time, so if you are lucky enough to already be experiencing them while you can still return the machine, I think it wise to do so...my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: content

jbg95

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
I've found my solution. I had to get off this merry-go-round. I can't risk getting another T2 MacBook Pro only to go through days or weeks of a seeming lack of problems, only to start having them after the returns period. So I got BH Photo's site and found a mid-2017 MBP with 3.1 GHZ i7, 1TB, 16 GB, AMD Radeon Pro 560 Graphics (4GB GGDR5) and Touch Bar. It's my understanding that this MBP does not have a T2 chip.

I'm giving up 16GB of RAM, a better video card, and 1TB of hard drive space (and a lesser processor), but I'm going to save almost $2,500 when you factor in the price difference and the fact that BH does not charge sales tax when shipping to my state. I do think Apple will take care of everyone with a T2 chip computer. I think they have to. The problem will probably get better and better with each Mojave update, and it really sounds like some people will never have the problem. I just can't deal with the uncertainty.

In the end, given the price difference, this made sense for me. Also, the computer this MacBook Pro is replacing is a late 2013 27" iMac that has an earlier generation of i7 (3.5 GHz) and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB video card. I think even this 2017 MacBook Pro should kick the butt of that iMac in just about every way, except that the 2017 MBP only has 16GB of RAM. I like to keep a lot of windows open, so I don't know what effect that will have. I will only occasionally use this MBP for video editing. I edit multiple streams of 4K video (not incompressible video, however), and my 2013 iMac does fine with it. So this MBP should do even better, I'd think. My main computer that I usually edit on is a Mac Pro 2013 (the trash can) with an 8 core Xeon, dual 6GB video cards and 64GB RAM. I don't think any MacBook would touch its performance with FCP.

I don't blame you. I was in the same boat. I agree, I think this'll get resolved one way or another but who has time for going around in circles with support, constantly waiting for a crash, etc. I've been on my 'new' 2017 all week and life is back to normal with no weird Bridge panics and freezes. I'll revisit the next model in a year or two once the dust settles.

Reactions: KDLM and content

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
That's a weird one. A new one will/shoud have 10.14.2 preinstalled.

I actually ended up trying five times before giving up. I like to tinker and I don't mind trying to solve computer problems, but I loathe to do so on a brand new machine right out of the box that can't perform a basic operation. And with these models likely having a poorly designed or defective T2 chip sitting in there, I could just be knocking my head against the wall. My 2017 iMac and my aging 2012 Macbook Air that the new Macbook Pro was supposed to replace managed to upgrade from 10.14.1 to 10.14.2 without a hitch, but my new $2,400 (almost $2,800 with AppleCare and taxes) MBP could not.
[doublepost=1544883596][/doublepost]
EDIT: Instead of waiting for these WiFi issues to fix themselves, you can manually fix them simply by cycling your WiFi off and then back on. This won't restore the "broken pipes", so you'll have to restart any rsyncs, software updates, backups, etc. that were interrupted, but it does shorten your wait time.

On the other hand, I think you are wise to return the machine, because again, in my hands, these problems only tend to increase in frequency over time, so if you are lucky enough to already be experiencing them while you can still return the machine, I think it wise to do so...my opinion, of course.

Thanks. But frankly, I don't see how it could be a Wifi issue. At the point in the 10.14.2 installation where the computer restarts, the update has been fully downloaded and it doesn't need or use Wifi. The machine had no Wifi issues in its first hour of use prior to the update, and there are no other Wifi problems anywhere in the house (I have a FiOS gigabit connection, with Wifi running through a flawless Synology RT2600ac router). Of course anything is possible, especially if a defective T2 chip is sitting in there with tentacles who-knows-where, but if some Wifi quirk WAS interfering with a restart under those circumstances these models are sicker than we thought, and I'm not about to start troubleshooting OTHER equipment to get this brand new machine to perform a basic task. It is gone.

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
Simple, but wrong. If heat was the issue, it wouldn't take weeks.
@mreg376 - Thanks for the reply. If you have time to check this short video out from Louis Rossmann,
I'd like to hear your thoughts. I don't know if this has something to do with these ongoing issues....
Here's the link:

Hope this all gets fixed soon. Not buying another mac until Apple fixes all of this.....

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
@mreg376 - Thanks for the reply. If you have time to check this short video out from Louis Rossmann,
I'd like to hear your thoughts. I don't know if this has something to do with these ongoing issues....
Here's the link:

Hope this all gets fixed soon. Not buying another mac until Apple fixes all of this.....

That's very interesting, although I'm not sure it's related to the current problems unless Apple instituted a similar poor design when it changed from stable T1 chips to this mess of a T2 chip. In any event like you, I won't be buying another Apple computer until they re-learn how to design computers properly.

jbg95

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
That's very interesting, although I'm not sure it's related to the current problems unless Apple instituted a similar poor design when it changed from stable T1 chips to this mess of a T2 chip. In any event like you, I won't be buying another Apple computer until they re-learn how to design computers properly.

Agreed.

Reflecting on previous laptops over the past 10 years. 2013 MacBook Pro was solid, zero issues. My wife's 2009 MacBook Pro is solid, her 2014 MacBook Pro is technically solid, but the screen is delaminating. I had a c.2007 MBP which was solid and no issues. Replacing with my old 2017 MacBook Pro which has keyboard issues but otherwise solid. I just had a 2018 which had the KP issues but the keyboard felt better than 2017. Now I'm on a 2017 MBP which is a week old and we'll see how it does. 2013 was a phenomenal year in my book..that was a great laptop (which I sold last year for a 2017 because I needed more storage - it still felt really fast and powerful). I'd have kept it if I could have found a 3rd party 1TB SSD that didn't overheat in it.

Hopefully we're due for a good vintage soon. And Apple will mature some of the technologies and techniques they're using. I appreciate the concept of where they're going but are clearly outpacing the ability of these improvements to actually work reliably.

Reactions: KDLM

doxorange

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2018
Washington DC
Hi everyone!
On December 3rd I have bought a MacBook Pro 15 i9 32Gb Vega20 1Tb trough pickup in store.
On December 5th while I was browsing with safari, with nothing connected, only trough battery, I experienced a reboot.
The fans started to spin very fast and the Mac shutdown.

This was the panic log:

{

"build" : "Bridge OS 3.1 (16P2088)",

"product" : "iBridge2,7",

"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.2.0: Mon Oct 8 20:03:53 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4903.221.2~13\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",

"incident" : "286D5BC4-EB02-4D09-A00F-9E6A1A65EA94",

"crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",

"date" : "2018-12-05 16:20:40.60 +0000",

"panicString" : "panic(cpu 1 caller 0xfffffff022adda00): macOS watchdog detected\nDebugger message: panic\nMemory ID: 0x6\nOS version: 16P2088\nKernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 18.2.0: Mon Oct 8 20:03:53 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4903.221.2~13\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010\nKernelCache UUID: AF138948FEAD707D71D002FAB422B44B\nKernel UUID: 5EFB3358-9B03-3179-B78B-A1F9981BD380\niBoot version: iBoot-4513.220.97\nsecure boot?: YES\nx86 EFI Boot State: 0x16\nx86 System State: 0x0\nx86 Power State: 0x0\nx86 Shutdown Cause: 0x1\nx86 Previous Power Transitions: 0x20002000200\nPCIeUp link state: 0x94721614\nPaniclog version: 11\nKernel slide: 0x000000001c400000\nKernel text base: 0xfffffff023404000\nEpoch Time: sec usec\n Boot : 0x5bfb5459 0x000537a1\n Sleep : 0x5c07f26a 0x000ac0ab\n Wake : 0x5c07f326 0x000753cf\n Calendar: 0x5c07fabb 0x000e07d7\n\nPanicked task 0xffffffe0008621c0: 3105 pages, 207 threads: pid 0: kernel_task\nPanicked thread: 0xffffffe000b759f0, backtrace: 0xffffffe0169d3530, tid: 405\n\t\t

I have checked the tid 405 on the complete log and it references to SMC.

I noticed that it happened after I installed NTFS for Mac and VirtualBox (the only two programs that 'interfere' with kernel.
The weird thing is that if this is the case that these programs are the cause why it never (or not yet) happened again?

After that event no more KPs. I even updated to 10.14.2.

In the meanwhile in this period I have tried to connect external HD, dual monitor setup, left plugged/unplugged while sleeping. Turned off. Almost every possible scenario that I could have used with my needs.

Now I have reached the end of replacement/return window.
Should I trust this period of almost 11 Kp and trouble free days or should I ask for a replacement at the store?
My heart would say 'keep it' since after that I was free of anything with all the setup I have tried but my brain suggest to ask for replacement since I have read almost 50 pages of this thread and I've understood that none knows if it is software or hardware and that some units present the issue while other don't (or not yet).

What do you suggest?

It is really a gamble. It is really sad. With a 5000$ machine I would have liked to be at peace but....nope!

At least if we only knew software/hardware issue...we could be waiting for a patch or not...

Thank you!

Pcf94

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
I have three Macbook pro 2018 (13 inch). Two returned, one still using.
As for the first two Macbook pro, I returned them because there were bridge os errors which I couldn't tolerate. However, the one I'm currently using has never crashed before(about 30 days). It is probably because of some different setups and softwares I installed...may not be true.. I'm just hoping that it may help you.
For the first two Macbook pro, I used to install Waves plugins and some third party apps, but when I received this Macbook pro, I decided to install those key application only..On top of that, every time after I installed certain plugins etc I would check the third party kernel extension, make sure there was nothing, because prior to this I saw a post that said third party apps etc may be the cause of all these crashes.

If you want to check the third party kernel extensions.. you can just copy and paste this into your terminal.

kextstat | grep -v com.apple

I'm not a engineer or technician, im just a normal user.. this method turn out to be useful for me... I hope it will help you.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
To the OP: I reluctantly advise you to return it and sit out this product cycle. Too many on this forum have gone trouble-free for a period of time and then seen problems return. Plus, even if you do a swap I think that does not change your original return window, and there is certainly no guarantee the replacement will be trouble free. All of that being said, you might be one of the lucky ones who never sees another T2-related problem. The question is do you want to bet $5,000 that your use of the machine will not be repeatedly interrupted and that you won't have to spend a good part of your life at the "Genius" bar? Not a bet I would make. Not with Apple's track record on these 2018 models.

Last edited:

doxorange

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2018
Washington DC
Thank you for your opinions!

@Pcf94 I did what you suggested in terminal:

com.paragon-software.filesystems.ntfs
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetFlt
org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxNetAdp

and I've obtained what I imagined. Paragon NTFS and VirtualBox.
So it would be wise not use these kind of applications since they interfere with kernel?

@mreg376 I have understood that every replacement have its own 14 days window of return! Otherwise It doesn't make sense. Am I wrong? But the point is that... from what you have said and the whole forum... the sad is that this it is not the right moment (to tell you the truth: years) to but a MacBook especially an expensive one! Deep down I know.. but I got only a MacBook Air of 2013 with 4gb of ram and I prefer MacOS to windows! :(((( I know! Why Apple why???

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
So you're going to have to avoid using certain "kinds of applications" with your $5,000 computer? Is that not ridiculous??

Look, I love macOS too, and I will not go back to Windows. If you desperately need an upgrade from your 2013 Air, you can always get one of the 2017 MBP's which do not have these problems. My only reluctance with that route is that the 2017's are not that much cheaper than the 2018's and the 2018's are so much more powerful. Between an Apple Rock and an Apple Hard Place.

(As to the return, maybe someone else can chime in here, but I think the only way to "extend" the return window is to fully return the previous MBP, get a refund or Apple gift card, and then make an entirely new purchase. I think if you simply swap the machines under the warranty you still have the original return window.)

Reactions: Never mind

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hi everyone!
On December 3rd I have bought a MacBook Pro 15 i9 32Gb Vega20 1Tb trough pickup in store....

....Now I have reached the end of replacement/return window.

Are you sure about that? With the Holiday Return Period products purchased from November 14, 2018 to December 25, 2018 have until January 8, 2019 to be returned/exchanged.

Check with the store you purchased from, but you should have additional time.

doxorange

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2018
Washington DC
@mreg376 Yes It is ridiculous that one should avoid certain apps with such a machine. I considered the 2017 MacBook as you said (but the new ones are 'potentially' beasts compared to those ones!)
For the return window I'll wait someone that knows more than me! I was thinking so because I read in the first 30 pages of the thread that someone order a replacement and it had its own 14 days return window! But what you say makes sense too, so I eventually ask in the store directly if none will reply here.

Anyway it is really unfortunate all this happening to a such number of customers ! Let's hope that they'll fix the situation as soon as possible. (at least let us know if it is something that is fixable with a software patch or not).

Thank you again
[doublepost=1544972068][/doublepost]@SDColorado ... I know what... you should be right! I just remembered that I have read somewhere!
Eventually I will test this Mac more but.. in the end I will have the same dilemma!
At this point let's hope to have more KPs so I will be more sure about a return/replacement instead of keeping this one that, for now, seems to work perfectly fine as one would expect after that initial incident!

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Are you sure about that? With the Holiday Return Period products purchased from November 14, 2018 to December 25, 2018 have until January 8, 2019 to be returned/exchanged.

Check with the store you purchased from, but you should have additional time.

Not sure where the OP was from. But I think the extended holiday return window is just in the U.S.

Reactions: SDColorado

doxorange

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2018
Washington DC
No prob. I am in Washington D.C.
[doublepost=1544974557][/doublepost]Just one thing to be sure.
When I walk in the Apple store do I have to bring with me the Macbook already cleaned with MacOS freshly installed and then tell them that I had the KPs (eventually bring with me a screenshot in my phone as proof) or the MacBook as I have at home and clean it there ?

Can they refuse to replace it with another leaving me the only possibility being the refund? I am asking this since I bought it during the Black Friday and I had the gift card with it as bonus. I would hate to lose it. I think if I am forced to return I will lose the gift card as it is bound to my purchase.
I am asking just to know what are my options when I walk in and speak with Apple personnel.

Reactions: SDColorado

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
When I walk in the Apple store do I have to bring with me the Macbook already cleaned with MacOS freshly installed and then tell them that I had the KPs (eventually bring with me a screenshot in my phone as proof) or the MacBook as I have at home and clean it there ?

Can they refuse to replace it with another leaving me the only possibility being the refund? I am asking this since I bought it during the Black Friday and I had the gift card with it as bonus. I would hate to lose it. I think if I am forced to return I will lose the gift card as it is bound to my purchase.
I am asking just to know what are my options when I walk in and speak with Apple personnel.

1. Ok, good, then your return window should end on 1/8.

2. You don't have to clean anything. Just remove any personal info you don't want them to have.

3. I think, but can't swear, that they give you another gift card back for the gift card amount. But check.

4. Be ready to have the "geniuses" look at you like you have three heads. Apple is apparently not ready to acknowledge yet that there is a widespread problem with these models.

That's why the return window is your biggest bargaining chip. Otherwise you may have to rent a bedroom at the Apple store since you may be there so often until they acknowledge these problems and figure them out.

Reactions: lali

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

What I did when I was in your situation was I ordered another one for pickup at the store. When I got the notification that it was ready for pickup, I walked in with my old machine and the receipt and told them that I needed to pick up 1 and return one. However, that of course only works if you have the funds available to buy the new one prior to returning the old.

If you do go that route and for some reasons, there is an issue with the return on the old one, you can refuse to accept the new one, but I was in and out of the store in 5 minutes with no hassles.

Reactions: lali and Plutonius

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
I am working with Apple on this case right now and I really get the feeling that they don't really know what the problem is, what causes it or remotely how to fix it.
That's my feeling as well.

i cant stress enough how important enough during live play that i cannot have a crash.
I use mine for lecture presentations, and didn't have any KP yet (bought it in October). If I had a crash in the middle of a lecture, of course it wouldn't be as critical as in your case, but it would be uncomfortable anyway. But, as I said, no KPs nor other issues yet.

so do the KP continue after disabling most of the T2's functions like what was suggested by Apple? (filevault, etc..)

I use it with FileVault enabled, and I really doubt FileVault makes a change here, because new 2018 MBPs always encrypt the disk no matter if FileVault is enabled or not. So, it seems that the T2 has to do the same amount of work for reading and writing the disk, no matter if you enable FileVault of not.

Mine is i9/32GB/560X/1TB/Silver, bought in October.

Some stuff that might play a role:

- Siri disabled (not because of this thread, but because I hate Siri to the bone).
- The MBP never sleeps (I always shutdown when not in use, because that's the way I've always used MacBooks and all laptops... I never liked the sleep feature, specially for SSDs).
- FileVault enabled, as I said.
- High Sierra with SU2 (I didn't try Mojave: When I update it's always in the Summer, when they arrive to the 10.x.6 release).
- I didn't perform the "Photo Booth test" suggested in this thread (and I don't feel like doing it, because people tend to report that once you get your first KP, they tend to come back again).

Software used:

- A lot of work with VMware virtual machines.
- A lot of software building with LLVM.
- A lot of source code editing with TextWrangler.
- Frequent LaTeX document creation.
- Frequent external drive syncing with rsync.
- Frequent Youtube videos watching.
- Frequently playing music with the Vox player (the good old days version, I mean).
- A lot of Safari navigation.
- Frequent use of Preview for PDF reading.
- Frequent use of Microsoft Office 2016.
- And more things I don't remember now.

My guess after reading many of the issues reported in this thread, and considering that I'm not getting KPs after more than 2 months after purchase, is that I tend to believe that at least some of the KPs are related to T2 fabrication issues. And this guess comes from the fact that some users report having a different experience on different units. If it was software, the same person wouldn't feel a different experience across several units.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.