Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Never mind

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2018
Dunedin, Florida
4. Be ready to have the "geniuses" look at you like you have three heads. Apple is apparently not ready to acknowledge yet that there is a widespread problem with these models.

This thread started in July so it’s been about five months. Think Apple should know by now they have an issue. :(

Reactions: KDLM

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
@asiga: Yes, and that's what makes this so difficult. An intermittent hardware problem with either the T2 itself or the Bridge OS that it uses? One that can happen daily, disappear for weeks or months, or never happen at all? That's a tall order for Apple to deal with, but frankly they haven't even done Step 1, which is acknowledge that there is a problem.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
Hi everyone!
On December 3rd I have bought a MacBook Pro 15 i9 32Gb Vega20 1Tb trough pickup in store.
On December 5th while I was browsing with safari, with nothing connected, only trough battery, I experienced a reboot.
The fans started to spin very fast and the Mac shutdown.

This was the panic log:

{

"build" : "Bridge OS 3.1 (16P2088)",

"product" : "iBridge2,7",

"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.2.0: Mon Oct 8 20:03:53 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4903.221.2~13\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",

"incident" : "286D5BC4-EB02-4D09-A00F-9E6A1A65EA94",

"crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",

"date" : "2018-12-05 16:20:40.60 +0000",

"panicString" : "panic(cpu 1 caller 0xfffffff022adda00): macOS watchdog detected\nDebugger message: panic\nMemory ID: 0x6\nOS version: 16P2088\nKernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 18.2.0: Mon Oct 8 20:03:53 PDT 2018; root:xnu-4903.221.2~13\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010\nKernelCache UUID: AF138948FEAD707D71D002FAB422B44B\nKernel UUID: 5EFB3358-9B03-3179-B78B-A1F9981BD380\niBoot version: iBoot-4513.220.97\nsecure boot?: YES\nx86 EFI Boot State: 0x16\nx86 System State: 0x0\nx86 Power State: 0x0\nx86 Shutdown Cause: 0x1\nx86 Previous Power Transitions: 0x20002000200\nPCIeUp link state: 0x94721614\nPaniclog version: 11\nKernel slide: 0x000000001c400000\nKernel text base: 0xfffffff023404000\nEpoch Time: sec usec\n Boot : 0x5bfb5459 0x000537a1\n Sleep : 0x5c07f26a 0x000ac0ab\n Wake : 0x5c07f326 0x000753cf\n Calendar: 0x5c07fabb 0x000e07d7\n\nPanicked task 0xffffffe0008621c0: 3105 pages, 207 threads: pid 0: kernel_task\nPanicked thread: 0xffffffe000b759f0, backtrace: 0xffffffe0169d3530, tid: 405\n\t\t

I have checked the tid 405 on the complete log and it references to SMC.

I noticed that it happened after I installed NTFS for Mac and VirtualBox (the only two programs that 'interfere' with kernel.
The weird thing is that if this is the case that these programs are the cause why it never (or not yet) happened again?

After that event no more KPs. I even updated to 10.14.2.

In the meanwhile in this period I have tried to connect external HD, dual monitor setup, left plugged/unplugged while sleeping. Turned off. Almost every possible scenario that I could have used with my needs.

Now I have reached the end of replacement/return window.
Should I trust this period of almost 11 Kp and trouble free days or should I ask for a replacement at the store?
My heart would say 'keep it' since after that I was free of anything with all the setup I have tried but my brain suggest to ask for replacement since I have read almost 50 pages of this thread and I've understood that none knows if it is software or hardware and that some units present the issue while other don't (or not yet).

What do you suggest?

It is really a gamble. It is really sad. With a 5000$ machine I would have liked to be at peace but....nope!

At least if we only knew software/hardware issue...we could be waiting for a patch or not...

Thank you!
First, you are NOT past your returns period. The period is, I'm virtually certain, extended until January 8th for purchases made in November and December (and perhaps very late October).

I tried two 2018 MacBook Pros with the Vega 20 graphics. The first began having problems immediately. The second was seemingly fine, but then it started having problems after four or five days. That was it for me. I found a brand new 2017 MBP and bought it. Everyone has to make their own decision, but I know me and I can't deal with waiting for problems to show up.

My vote is return it, return it, return it. Nobody knows for sure what is causing this. Some say it's hardware, other say software, some a combination of both. Still others say it is something unique about how the MB is being used or in what conditions. Many have unaffected machines, but they may just not be experiencing the problem yet. One poster in this thread said that his MB was problem-free for several weeks, and then the problems began.

I couldn't pay $5K for that kind of uncertainty while Apple acts like there is no problem. Others have decided to keep theirs.

beageek

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2018
First, you are NOT past your returns period. The period is, I'm virtually certain, extended until January 8th for purchases made in November and December (and perhaps very late October).

I tried two 2018 MacBook Pros with the Vega 20 graphics. The first began having problems immediately. The second was seemingly fine, but then it started having problems after four or five days. That was it for me. I found a brand new 2017 MBP and bought it. Everyone has to make their own decision, but I know me and I can't deal with waiting for problems to show up.

My vote is return it, return it, return it. Nobody knows for sure what is causing this. Some say it's hardware, other say software, some a combination of both. Still others say it is something unique about how the MB is being used or in what conditions. Many have unaffected machines, but they may just not be experiencing the problem yet. One poster in this thread said that his MB was problem-free for several weeks, and then the problems began.

I couldn't pay $5K for that kind of uncertainty while Apple acts like there is no problem. Others have decided to keep theirs.

Exactly, that's what I did.
I ended up with 2017 MBP and it has been super great without a single crash so far.

Reactions: Plutonius and KDLM

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Don't the 2017's have the [stable] T1?
Yes they do
[doublepost=1545016193][/doublepost]I haven’t posted in this thread about my exact experience as I’m afraid to jinx myself but I haven’t had a single KP in about a month’s time with my 15 MBP 2018. I came from a 2017 machine which was replaced with the new machine due to the repair taking too long.

It leads me to believe that there really might be a hardware defect associated with some, not all, of the T2 chips. I use it for work so it gets 8+ hours of use Mon-Fri.

I haven’t gone hunting either, I refuse to do the PhotoBooth test as I feel like it might start a cycle (of T2 panics) which I have no desire to deal with.

It’d be interesting to see a poll outside of this forum about the frequency which these things are happening in the wild.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
Do I even want to know what that is? Is it buried in this thread somewhere?
@SDColorado - I can't remember who, but about 5 pages back, someone mentioned that others had been able to cause a KP by having PhotoBooth shoot video for about 2 hours. I tried it with both of my MBPs, and could not get it to happen on them. However, I had a problem with a bus-powered drive that kept dismounting randomly. I was able to get that to happen sometimes by taking many photos in PhotoBooth, or when somebody hung up after a long FaceTime call. I don't know if that was T2 related or not.

Reactions: SDColorado

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
@SDColorado - I can't remember who, but about 5 pages back, someone mentioned that others had been able to cause a KP by having PhotoBooth shoot video for about 2 hours. I tried it with both of my MBPs, and could not get it to happen on them. However, I had a problem with a bus-powered drive that kept dismounting randomly. I was able to get that to happen sometimes by taking many photos in PhotoBooth, or when somebody hung up after a long FaceTime call. I don't know if that was T2 related or not.

My 2016, which I gave to my wife, has the USB-C drive disconnect frequently if you move the laptop at all. The connections aren't tight enough or something. Doesn't matter which of the 4 ports you use. I have also used various cables aside from Apples own. I am not sure if they have addressed that since 2016, but luckily she rarely plugs in a drive so she is fine with it.

I had not heard the photobooth test thing yet. What's next? Has anyone tried the Garageband test? The iMovie Test? Just kidding ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
My 2016, which I gave to my wife, has the USB-C drive disconnect frequently if you move the laptop at all. The connections aren't tight enough or something. Doesn't matter which of the 4 ports you use. I have also used various cables aside from Apples own. I am not sure if they have addressed that since 2016, but luckily she rarely plugs in a drive so she is fine with it.

I had not heard the photobooth test thing yet. What's next? Has anyone tried the Garageband test? The iMovie Test? Just kidding ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
@SDColorado - That wasn't the issue for me. The drive and MacBook were very stable and motionless when these dismounts would happen. I even tried wiggling the plug and cord to see if I could cause a dismount, and I could not.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
@SDColorado - That wasn't the issue for me. The drive and MacBook were very stable and motionless when these dismounts would happen. I even tried wiggling the plug and cord to see if I could cause a dismount, and I could not.

Did you ever find out what was wrong with it? Sounds like it could be a loose connector inside the machine, heat-related/bad solder joint? But if that was the case then just taking photos in Photobooth shouldn't cause that to be an issue. ¯\_( ͠° ͟ʖ ͠°)_/¯

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
Did you ever find out what was wrong with it? Sounds like it could be a loose connector inside the machine, heat-related/bad solder joint? But if that was the case then just taking photos in Photobooth shouldn't cause that to be an issue. ¯\_( ͠° ͟ʖ ͠°)_/¯
@SDColorado - I suspect it may have had something to do with the T2 issue, but I don't know. I had two of the drives. One of them dismounted a lot, the other one rarely. They were bus powered. Also, they have a cable built into them, so there is only the male connector on them, which is limiting. That meant that I couldn't connect the drives to my Mac Pro because it only has TB2 connectors and the TB2/TB3 adapter can't be used when the only connection from the drive is male. I figure they made the cable built-in because longer cables could introduce power (and dismounting) problems. Ultimately I just decided they were too limited and too much hassle.

betadecay

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2018
@SDColorado - I suspect it may have had something to do with the T2 issue, but I don't know. I had two of the drives. One of them dismounted a lot, the other one rarely. They were bus powered. Also, they have a cable built into them, so there is only the male connector on them, which is limiting. That meant that I couldn't connect the drives to my Mac Pro because it only has TB2 connectors and the TB2/TB3 adapter can't be used when the only connection from the drive is male. I figure they made the cable built-in because longer cables could introduce power (and dismounting) problems. Ultimately I just decided they were too limited and too much hassle.

i have a similar problem: A 2.5" disk USB 3.0 disk connected via Apple's USB-C Multiport AV adapter dismounts randomly after sometime. Then it can't be connected again(also my thunderbolt display will not response to, e.g., adjusting of brightness anymore). When i physically dismount the peripherals they still are shown as connected in the system report. However, i can connect to the other side of the MBP and the peripherals will work correctly. But the "dead" ports only come back to life with a reboot.
I don't know if it's 100%, but after this random dismount, some minutes of sleep mode will lead to the bug_type:210 problem(reboot instead of awakening). My reports also show "thunderbolt power on failed" at "macOSPanicString:[...]" position.

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
i have a similar problem: A 2.5" disk USB 3.0 disk connected via Apple's USB-C Multiport AV adapter dismounts randomly after sometime. Then it can't be connected again(also my thunderbolt display will not response to, e.g., adjusting of brightness anymore). When i physically dismount the peripherals they still are shown as connected in the system report. However, i can connect to the other side of the MBP and the peripherals will work correctly. But the "dead" ports only come back to life with a reboot.
I don't know if it's 100%, but after this random dismount, some minutes of sleep mode will lead to the bug_type:210 problem(reboot instead of awakening). My reports also show "thunderbolt power on failed" at "macOSPanicString:[...]" position.
I don't know how concerned I would be about that. I also have an OWC USB 3.1 Gen 1 Drive Dock (it's a "toaster" that you can pop internal drives into temporarily). It worked fine for over a year, and then a new OS came out and it randomly dismounted. Macsales sent me a new one, but it did the same thing. One rep there said it was due to Apple cutting back on the signal strength to peripherals (in order to extend battery life, I guess) and that a future OS update would fix it. I realized a couple of months ago that it hasn't happened in many months, so some patch fixed it. I suspect you may be having an issue like that (and perhaps I was, too). However, it does seem strange that you can't duplicate the problem using the ports on the other side. Or have you tried?

josuu11

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2018
Hello, are you still having problems with KP or black screen and restarts? I have a MacBook Pro 2018 Silver 13". First I started with KP by Bridge Os bug type 210, and now, I just have unexpected restarts but without a message as: "your system has to restarts", just the Mac restart and open the same apps that I was using. I called to Apple Support but they "don't know nothing". And why others computers works well? (Sorry for my English I'm Spanish).

KDLM

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2018
San Diego
Hello, are you still having problems with KP or black screen and restarts? I have a MacBook Pro 2018 Silver 13". First I started with KP by Bridge Os bug type 210, and now, I just have unexpected restarts but without a message as: "your system has to restarts", just the Mac restart and open the same apps that I was using. I called to Apple Support but they "don't know nothing". And why others computers works well? (Sorry for my English I'm Spanish).
@josuu11 - Are you asking me? I returned my 2018 Macbook Pros (I tried two, both faulty) and bought a new 2017 MBP.

Beancamel

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2018
Northeast, CT
@josuu11 - Are you asking me? I returned my 2018 Macbook Pros (I tried two, both faulty) and bought a new 2017 MBP.
same here, ordered 2TB model w/ the 3.1ghz processor. Should be here real soon. Was looking forward to the 6 core models but no way in hell can i take a chance having a crash. it's literally my livelihood. i'll wait til they iron out the kinks or do a refresh. 2019-2020

Adelholzener

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2018
Bought a MacBook Pro 15" some weeks ago because I thought they fixed the issue now. Had my first "Bridge OS" kernel panic just some minutes ago. I have a Genius Bar appointment today for another problem but I will ask them about this issue too.

iZeljko

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2018
North Sea
Bought a MacBook Pro 15" some weeks ago because I thought they fixed the issue now. Had my first "Bridge OS" kernel panic just some minutes ago. I have a Genius Bar appointment today for another problem but I will ask them about this issue too.
You might wanna ask them to give you a replacement MBP as this seems to be the most convincing method of submitting a KP crash to Apple.

I’m sorry and ashamed to let my Apple minded mindset go in that direction...
Hope the MM will keep me up and running until Apple releases a decent MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.