Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdnz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The Netherlands
Bought a MacBook Pro 15" some weeks ago because I thought they fixed the issue now. Had my first "Bridge OS" kernel panic just some minutes ago. I have a Genius Bar appointment today for another problem but I will ask them about this issue too.

Return it if the second has has the same issues. Don't try to troubleshoot it and just buy a different laptop.

Reactions: Never mind

Adelholzener

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2018
Genius Bar checked my kernel panic log file and they told me this is a software issue, they can't help me right now.

Adelholzener

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2018
Wow. I'm out of the timeframe I could give it back. I didn't have a kernel panic in the first weeks and thought there are no T2-errors anymore.

Apple told me they will reset the whole MacBook and install a new firmware. This should fix the issue. So they are aware of a problem and I can't do anything else right now.

BlueseaApple

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
You can succeed. I had 2 orders via Apple and in the end they decided to refund the money, all of which was outside the 14 day period. 2 different made to order machines with the same issue and without any clear fix it was the correct action. If they have identified the issue and are fixing imminently then fine, but if not, you should not have to waste your time trying to understand why you are having kernel panics!

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Apple told me they will reset the whole MacBook and install a new firmware. This should fix the issue. So they are aware of a problem and I can't do anything else right now.

They have been aware of the problem since the iMac Pro came out in 2017 and have come out with multiple firmware fixes :).

The problem has been getting better and some people are no longer experiencing it but, in general, the best cure seems to be replacing the MacBook Pro with another.

If you can't replace it, at least find out from Apple the details on when you can expect the new firmware and what version it is. Otherwise, it's always the next firmware update.

Worst comes to worst, document the crashes (logs) and keep going back to the Apple store until they do something :).

Reactions: Never mind

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
The only thing they ever told me was to wipe and start over. Really Apple? I told them just close my case and never mind. Useless! Their idea of a problem is to drive around it.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
Hi all, looking for some advice. I purchased new base model 13" MBP w/ Touch Bar yesterday. This morning I left the house for a few hours and the computer was turned on. When I returned I turned on PC and saw error logs that the system crashed. I chatted with Apple tech who helped men reinstall the system and everything appears ok now. Should I check my logs to see if this is the T2 chip or bridge problem that you are all referring to? If it's going to be glitchy will take it back while I still can. Any advice appreciated!

Beancamel

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2018
Northeast, CT
Hi all, looking for some advice. I purchased new base model 13" MBP w/ Touch Bar yesterday. This morning I left the house for a few hours and the computer was turned on. When I returned I turned on PC and saw error logs that the system crashed. I chatted with Apple tech who helped men reinstall the system and everything appears ok now. Should I check my logs to see if this is the T2 chip or bridge problem that you are all referring to? If it's going to be glitchy will take it back while I still can. Any advice appreciated!

return it, ive had my 2017 model for 4 days... been beating and flogging it for 4 days straight trying to get it to crash... running 20+ apps at once while the music software is playing. So far so good.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
Well, at this point I've left it idle a number of times without any issues. I've got more than 10 days till it has to be returned. Will just hope that it was a one-off if the problem doesn't appear again,

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Folks, I don't have a t2-equipped Mac yet.
But for all those who are still having t2-related boot problems, I'd like to offer a suggestion.
Try things "my way" for a period of one week, then go back if you like.

Here's what I suggest:
- Boot to the recovery partition
- Open the Startup Security Utility
- Under "secure boot", choose "No security"
- Under "external boot", choose "Allow booting from external media"
- Close Startup Security and reboot.

Yes, I realize this disables the t2 (insofar as it CAN BE "disabled" through user software).
But... again... give it a try this way for a week and see if it changes anything.

After all...
Macs ran well enough for 30 years without a t2 chip inside.
Speaking only for myself, I have no need for one now.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
Well, at this point I've left it idle a number of times without any issues. I've got more than 10 days till it has to be returned. Will just hope that it was a one-off if the problem doesn't appear again,
Skeptical!
Folks, I don't have a t2-equipped Mac yet.
But for all those who are still having t2-related boot problems, I'd like to offer a suggestion.
Try things "my way" for a period of one week, then go back if you like.

Here's what I suggest:
- Boot to the recovery partition
- Open the Startup Security Utility
- Under "secure boot", choose "No security"
- Under "external boot", choose "Allow booting from external media"
- Close Startup Security and reboot.

Yes, I realize this disables the t2 (insofar as it CAN BE "disabled" through user software).
But... again... give it a try this way for a week and see if it changes anything.

After all...
Macs ran well enough for 30 years without a t2 chip inside.
Speaking only for myself, I have no need for one now.
Many have tried, including myself. Didn't help. In fact got my first crash on one unit AFTER doing this. And yeah the T2 handles a lot of stuff so this is just one feature while it runs the rest of the computer.

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I've been running my Mac constantly and leaving it on idle to see if any other problems. Nothing yet. My initial error, I think, was an installation error. I might just be over scrutinizing the problem from being afraid of the dreaded T2 bug. This being said, it's not bent like the iPhone 6+ or the new iPad Pro, so I've got that going for me.

Reactions: Plutonius

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
I've been running my Mac constantly and leaving it on idle to see if any other problems. Nothing yet. My initial error, I think, was an installation error. I might just be over scrutinizing the problem from being afraid of the dreaded T2 bug. This being said, it's not bent like the iPhone 6+ or the new iPad Pro, so I've got that going for me.

My 15" 2018 is like that. The first day I got it, it locked up during updates. Two weeks later nothing. I have until Jan. 8th to decide to keep it or not. If it doesn't crash prior to then I'm keeping it.

Reactions: dotzero123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.