Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dornquast

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2019
Bringing my notes on iMac forward in thread. With following additions:
1. All secure boot is off / file vault off / clean wipe / install of Mac OS 10.14.4 from Apple engineers. (They claimed they refreshed all firmware as well) - still it happened
2. Apple upgrade to 10.14.5 from 10.14.4 - still happening. In fact, last night it took itself out at 1:33am while I was fast asleep. (TimeMachine you may be thinking? No.. I had that shut off before for weeks to test that theory and it still happened.)

This is starting to look like more of a hardware issue than software. Could we have defective SecureEnclave chips?

~Matthew

Update: went to beta to see if it addressed issue: 10.14.5 Beta (18F96h)

It didn't - already crashed twice so far.

{"caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_version":"Mac OS X 10.14.5 (18F96h)","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.5 (16P55095c)","macos_system_state":"running","incident_id":"533FB55E-9BD1-46B5-A665-207C6C40163F","timestamp":"2019-04-05 14:31:37.07 +0000","bug_type":"210"}

I read it might be IO related - so I shut Time Machine off to see if that helps. I will report back if it does.

Followup #2 Time Machine didn't help although frequency of error is down. Now only 2-3 times per day. I am upgrading to 10.14.5 Beta 2 to see if that helps (just released)

Followup #3:
10.14.5 Beta 2 did not help either. It's gotten worse now. Only way to power it up is to unplug for 30+ seconds and then hit power button. Crashes randomly. I've tried turning off all secure boot options from recovery and rand disk repair (no issues found). Brining in to apple service.

{"caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_version":"Mac OS X 10.14.5 (18F108f)","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.5 (16P55107b)","macos_system_state":"running","incident_id":"D34B7254-2A79-4D31-B3DF-FCF8A22112A6","timestamp":"2019-04-14 01:13:52.39 +0000","bug_type":"210"}

Followup #4:
I took my mac to Apple. I told them the issue. The insisted their diagnostics (which are more advanced than hardware test they claim) coupled with their known-how will fix it. They called back after a few days and said they couldn't reproduce the error.. and insisted that wiping the machine would solve it. I begged them not to, stating I had bootcamp and a ton of time setting things up I didn't want to loose.. but they insisted it was the only way - refusing to try booting from external drive for their testing. *sigh* So I said go ahead and got my mac back after a few more days.

Guess what? No solve. Here it is AGAIN crashing with the SAME issue. I mean, it's bridgeOS... it's not my userspace software. Anyway. Here is error.

{"caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_version":"Mac OS X 10.14.4 (18E227)","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.5 (16P55107b)","macos_system_state":"running","incident_id" ...

As you can see, they downgraded me from beta. My iMac is now crashing hard 7+ times a day in all states.. watching a video, while idle / on login screen, while typing in terminal, you name it.. So frustrating.

Followup #5:
So my hopes that OS 10.14.5 official release would clean things up are dashed. It's still crashing. While I use it, or even in the middle of the night by itself. I've escalated with apple support demanding hardware replacement. They had me run a software audit and I also submitted some of my kernel panics. *crosses finger* hope they fix this soon.

{"caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_version":"Mac OS X 10.14.5 (18F132)","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.5 (16P5125)","macos_system_state":"running","incident_id":"DEAE6542-134F-4BB7-BA51-887C6882A67B","timestamp":"2019-05-16 01:33:22.80 +0000","bug_type":"210"}

Reactions: g75d3

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
My desktop is 2017 iMac Pro, 18 core cpu, 128G DDR4 RAM, 4TB SSD and Radeon Pro Vega 64 GPU.

I thought it is the T2 problem after tried everything. But when I erased the SSD and downgrade the system to High Sierra, the problem has been totally fixed.

I was having the 210 errors on an identical system. Finally isolated the problem to an external RAID disk. Since the t2 is involved in disk i/o via the mass storage controller, I guess that makes sense. Rebuilt both the internal SSD and the external RAID from scratch. No problems since.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What do you mean under "rebuild" of hard drive?
RAID rebuild

Data is then reassembled on the new drive using RAID algorithms and parity data. RAID rebuilds can also be proactive if the RAID array detects that a hard drive is about to fail. During the rebuild, the performance of some applications or processes may be negatively affected by latency

jpallarest

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2019
This has happened to me in so many situations but I've noticed it's only when there's anything connected to the thunderbolt/USB ports. Never happened when using the MBP alone.

croco_dile

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2016
I am also experiencing frequent (daily or maybe every second day) yet random crashes and the reports all point to Bridge OS. This is definitely not an acceptable behaviour as I basically can no longer rely on my mac being up and running on an extended period with files and application running, or in a sleep state.

Does anyone know how Apple is treating these cases? Mine was bought in Aug 2018 and hence still under warranty.

This is a 2018 13" TB MBP, connected to a LG 4K monitor via USB C.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What do you mean under "rebuild" of hard drive?

I had been putting off installing larger disks in my Pegasus 2, so this gave me an incentive to do the upgrade. So technically it was sort of a hardware (6 new disks disks, not controller) and a software rebuild/restore. Took 2 days to do the rebuild of the RAID 5, and almost another 2 days to repopulate it. Since there were some hardware changes I guess I can't say a wipe, rebuild and restore with the exact same hardware fixed the problem.

Rijish

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2019
UAE
CA406290-3D1E-46C4-A71B-F327A423D6BA.jpeg
Seems like this is an issue related to a failed firmware of T2 chip. Updating or restoring the firmware should fix the issue in most cases. https://eclecticlight.co/2018/07/30/recovering-from-failed-t2-firmware-updates-and-related-problems/

I am experiencing the same issue with my 2018 mac mini. But couldnt try firmware restore as i dont have another spare mac to do that. Ll be taking to apple store this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: jat80

maccer9

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
For those experiencing an increasing frequency of KPs, would you mind checking your Internal SSD?

(0) Disk Utility --> First Aid --> View --> Show All Devices
(1) Disk Utility --> First Aid --> APPLE SSD (the partition check)
(2) Disk Utility --> First Aid --> container disk (the container)
(3) Disk Utility --> First Aid --> Macintosh HD (the startup volume)

Do all three check out successfully, or do any return a corruption error?

Thanks,
Solouki
[doublepost=1558327039][/doublepost]
Disk Utility produces this error message:

Checking snapshot 1 of 19.
error: btn: invalid btn_btree.bt_key_count (expected 5391571, actual 5391628)
Snapshot is invalid.
The volume /dev/disk0s2 could not be verified completely.
Storage system check exit code is 0.

Operation successful.

When I restarted in Restore Mode, Disk Repair won't run because the container 2 is locked. How do I unlock it so repair can run.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Seems like this is an issue related to a failed firmware of T2 chip.

Wasn't the cause in my case (on an iMac Pro). Was due to problems with mass storage, most likely an external drive, but internal drive might have had an issue as well. Disk Utility showed errors on all 12 snapshots. But I suppose you could say it is a firmware issue as the t2 shouldn't crash if it encounters abnormal situations.

Last edited:

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017

Snapshot is invalid.

Operation successful.

When I restarted in Restore Mode, Disk Repair won't run because the container 2 is locked. How do I unlock it so repair can run.

Hi maccer9,

Your SSD startup volume is encrypted (FileVault), and thus in Recovery mode you must manually enter your password to mount the Macintosh HD. (In Disk Utility, highlight the Macintosh HD volume, and click on the Mount button.) Once Macintosh HD is mounted, then you will be able to run Disk Repair on the container disk as well as on the startup disk, Macintosh HD.

Your first snapshot is likewise corrupted (and perhaps the remaining 18 snapshots also). First Aid will not correct problems with snapshots, and eventually they will be deleted. But if you wish to speed this deletion process up, you can manually delete the corrupted snapshots. The following Terminal command may be helpful to you:

tmutil listlocalsnapshotdates / | grep 2019-05- | while read f; do tmutil deletelocalsnapshots $f; done

The above command will delete all snapshots for May 2019, but you can also be more specific or less specific in determining which snapshots to delete.

Once you repair your SSD partition, container disk, and Macintosh HD in Recovery mode, then reboot to User mode and rerun the Disk Utility's First Aid on the SSD partition, the container disk, and the Macintosh HD to make certain that the error has been repaired.

Good luck,
Solouki

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
guys, software updates is not going to fix this issue. You are wasting your time hunting for a solution. Reinstalling will not help either. (nor will calling Apple) Face it, the t2 chip is just a crappy immature chip. The only way to minimize this is to disable file vault, disable (in recovery mode) secure boot, disable siri if you don't mind that, disable touch id if possible. Do all that and you should see the bridge os crashes at a minimum. that said, certain connections to your mac might affect things, especially any i/o TB adapters and maybe certain usb connections, but I think the above suggestions are worth trying. They helped me.

Last edited:
Reactions: gyunter

Ael_MR

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2018
guys, software updates is not going to fix this issue. You are wasting your time hunting for a solution. Reinstalling will not help either. (nor will calling Apple) Face it, the t2 chip is just a crappy immature chip.
But that’s exactly how I fixed my machine by wiping and reinstalling the os. I have not had a panic since.
My pet theory was bad ram as I occasionally get corrupted downloads but I’ve never actually taken the time to test it.

chumps52

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2013
Scotland
But that’s exactly how I fixed my machine by wiping and reinstalling the os. I have not had a panic since.
My pet theory was bad ram as I occasionally get corrupted downloads but I’ve never actually taken the time to test it.
Probably will be short-lived, I've had my full logic board replaced as well as multiple clean reinstalls (both from a USB and the built in recovery partition), and had my most recent panic last night.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017

Snapshot is invalid.

Operation successful.

Hi maccer9,

I was just wondering if you have had time to rerun the three Recovery mode First Aids followed by the three User mode First Aids, and what your results were?

Thanks,
Solouki

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
I am wondering the same too...

Since the problems that the iMac Pros (first T2 chip machine) and the 2018 MBPs (second T2 chip machine) have yet to be solved by Apple, I think it is risky to assume that the new MBPs will not suffer the same problems.

Just my opinion,
Solouki

markedlymac

macrumors member
May 24, 2018
I have had it with this ****ing T2 Kernel panic bug on my 2018 MBP. I get it this every 2-3 days and it's an unacceptable failure on a business machine that costs so much.

It just happened to me yet again (this time the force trackpad stopped working and everything froze for a solid minute before shutting down and blowing out the fan, it felt like a dead useless brick), wasting my time, losing my work, when I'm trying to DO my work.

If the 2019 model is shown to NOT have this problem, I am having this 2018 swapped for a 2019.

I somehow doubt it will be different though. How could it, it's the same infrastructure. Still, I await any news with bated breath. Apple is known to be hush about their manufacturer defect 'fixes', so they could have fixed it.

Reactions: Zeke13137

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
I can verify that the 10.14.5 Supplemental Update (May 22nd) did not fix my Macintosh HD corruption problem nor did it fix my WiFi disconnect problem. About 4 hours after installing the Supplemental Update my WiFi disconnected from the Internet (while the WiFi hardware was still working with an RSSI=-45dBm and a Noise=-90dBm) with nothing attached to the 2018 15" MBP and none of my code/files/iCloud/TeX/Time Machine/third-party apps downloaded onto the 2018 MBP. In other words, it is a pristine machine with only a few Mac App Store apps installed after the 2nd Apple repair replacing the logic board and Touch ID board. My other computers all had Internet connections using the same router as the 2018 MBP when it didn't have Internet connection (it looses its DNS information, a rare, random, and often intermittent problem). I also executed "sysdiagnose" while the 2018 MBP didn't have WiFi connection and uploaded the sysdiagnose gzipped tar archive to Apple Support.

Regards,
Solouki

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.