Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chumps52

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2013
Scotland
I can verify that the 10.14.5 Supplemental Update (May 22nd) did not fix my Macintosh HD corruption problem nor did it fix my WiFi disconnect problem. About 4 hours after installing the Supplemental Update my WiFi disconnected from the Internet (while the WiFi hardware was still working with an RSSI=-45dBm and a Noise=-90dBm) with nothing attached to the 2018 15" MBP and none of my code/files/iCloud/TeX/Time Machine/third-party apps downloaded onto the 2018 MBP. In other words, it is a pristine machine with only a few Mac App Store apps installed after the 2nd Apple repair replacing the logic board and Touch ID board. My other computers all had Internet connections using the same router as the 2018 MBP when it didn't have Internet connection (it looses its DNS information, a rare, random, and often intermittent problem). I also executed "sysdiagnose" while the 2018 MBP didn't have WiFi connection and uploaded the sysdiagnose gzipped tar archive to Apple Support.

Regards,
Solouki
Have you had any further Bridge OS crashes/reboots though? I'm hoping that may now be fixed but not holding my breath...

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
Have you had any further Bridge OS crashes/reboots though? I'm hoping that may now be fixed but not holding my breath...

I've been running the 10.14.5 Supplemental Update for less than 24 hours, and my KPs were less frequent than that, so I don't have any data at this time.

But even more importantly, since I can't trust the 2018 MBP to not corrupt my files, I'm not actually using it for my work...I only periodically read a news article on the 2018 MBP while I am primarily working on an iMac and a 2016 MBP as well as a couple PC running flavors of Linux. Thus it is difficult for me to find the rare, random, and often intermittent errors since I'm not using the 2018 MBP much. I was just lucky that I found the WiFi disconnect about 4 hours after installing the T2 firmware update, as I just happened to attempt to read a news article on Safari only to find that the 2018 MBP had suffered a WiFi disconnection. In fact, for about 12 hours of the 24 hours since the Supplemental Update I had shutdown the machine ... I saw no reason to leave it on since I don't actually use the 2018 MBP for my work.

Sorry that I have no data as to the frequency of KPs since the 10.14.5 Supplemental Update...

Regards,
Solouki

gorik

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2019
hurray! just crashed :)
I thought this is it, after updated about 8 hours ago, but now again :((

chumps52

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2013
Scotland
I've been running the 10.14.5 Supplemental Update for less than 24 hours, and my KPs were less frequent than that, so I don't have any data at this time.

But even more importantly, since I can't trust the 2018 MBP to not corrupt my files, I'm not actually using it for my work...I only periodically read a news article on the 2018 MBP while I am primarily working on an iMac and a 2016 MBP as well as a couple PC running flavors of Linux. Thus it is difficult for me to find the rare, random, and often intermittent errors since I'm not using the 2018 MBP much. I was just lucky that I found the WiFi disconnect about 4 hours after installing the T2 firmware update, as I just happened to attempt to read a news article on Safari only to find that the 2018 MBP had suffered a WiFi disconnection. In fact, for about 12 hours of the 24 hours since the Supplemental Update I had shutdown the machine ... I saw no reason to leave it on since I don't actually use the 2018 MBP for my work.

Sorry that I have no data as to the frequency of KPs since the 10.14.5 Supplemental Update...

Regards,
Solouki

hurray! just crashed :)
I thought this is it, after updated about 8 hours ago, but now again :((

Mine just crashed too, using the supplemental update.
Same issue as always, so no fixes with the update for me at least. Oh well.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
So sorry to hear about the crashes from gorik and chumps52, I was hoping that the May 22nd T2 firmware supplemental update to 10.14.5 was a proper fix for the KPs...but apparently not. This supplemental update did not solve my WiFi disconnect problems either.

Solouki

Dave Post

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2019
Keep us posted, and good luck!

So far in the last 3 weeks I have not had too many issues. I have had it crash a few times in Premiere but that could just be Premiere. Only one total crash and restart but I did not get an error log. I have not stressed this iMac pro yet. We did a couple small projects and had it make proxies, but now it is in the hands of my GFX guy hopefully this one is not in the 30% that has T2 chip issues.
[doublepost=1558732806][/doublepost]
So far in the last 3 weeks I have not had too many issues. I have had it crash a few times in Premiere but that could just be Premiere. Only one total crash and restart but I did not get an error log. I have not stressed this iMac pro yet. We did a couple small projects and had it make proxies, but now it is in the hands of my GFX guy hopefully this one is not in the 30% that has T2 chip issues.

Of course right after I post this. And I Have the new 10.14.5 update

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_version":"Mac OS X 10.14.5 (18F132)","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.5 (16P5125)","macos_system_state":"running","incident_id":"2040A01D-18D1-4A33-B28F-9ED9AAAAC5CA","timestamp":"2019-05-24 20:07:07.94 +0000","bug_type":"210"}

Last edited:

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
[doublepost=1558732806][/doublepost]

Of course right after I post this. And I Have the new 10.14.5 update

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_version":"Mac OS X 10.14.5 (18F132)","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.5 (16P5125)","macos_system_state":"running","incident_id":"2040A01D-18D1-4A33-B28F-9ED9AAAAC5CA","timestamp":"2019-05-24 20:07:07.94 +0000","bug_type":"210"}

@Dave Post, your thoughts on the new iMac 2019 without the T2 chip? I've avoided all new Macs until they fix this,
I recently picked up a 2013 27" iMac 3.5GHz Haswell, 32Gb ram, 3TB Fusion drive with an old GTX 780M 4gb video card that runs MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 and Logic Pro X really well, got it for under $800. It's plenty fast enough for my audio needs, a little light in the video editing dept, but I'm running DaVinci on my 6-core Dell / GTX 1070 laptop, works just fine.... I haven't heard of any crashes on the new iMac 2019, is the solution to just buy one of those and skip all the T2 machines? cheers....

chumps52

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2013
Scotland
@Dave Post, your thoughts on the new iMac 2019 without the T2 chip? I've avoided all new Macs until they fix this,
I recently picked up a 2013 27" iMac 3.5GHz Haswell, 32Gb ram, 3TB Fusion drive with an old GTX 780M 4gb video card that runs MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 and Logic Pro X really well, got it for under $800. It's plenty fast enough for my audio needs, a little light in the video editing dept, but I'm running DaVinci on my 6-core Dell / GTX 1070 laptop, works just fine.... I haven't heard of any crashes on the new iMac 2019, is the solution to just buy one of those and skip all the T2 machines? cheers....
I believe everyone has come to the conclusion that this crash is due to the T2 chip, and thus the iMac sans T2 would be fine.

Reactions: guillone

Dave Post

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2019

I have an iMac pro I bought when they first came out it has been great no issues whatsoever. It blows away our 2013 mac pros plus I do not have the video artifacts that the mac pros get when they over heat. The last 2 iMac pros I bought are both having the T2 issue. My newest one so far has only had the crashing after being away from the computer for a half hour or more and it has gone dark this is annoying but not game breaking. Other wise using Resolve to do 1080 Proxies it does something like 40 frames a second on 8k footage so faster than real time which is great. And my AE exports are about 50% faster than on my 2013 mac pro for the same comp so that has been good. My other iMac pro that had the T2 issue was unusable because it would crash 4-8 times a day doing anything and was returned to apple.

Reactions: guillone

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
That is interesting Dave, but it is hard to even imagine what differences there would be between that unit and the ones with the issue. Especially since that is an early one. I really would like to know though. That said, I seriously don't think they are giving any more thought to this issue. If so it would have been fixed by now. probably such a small percentage of reports overall that they just moved on. My own theory is that the chip and related B-OS just isn't really up to snuff and prone to flakiness and that's that. Nothing they can do at the moment.

Reactions: g75d3

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
My other iMac pro that had the T2 issue was unusable because it would crash 4-8 times a day doing anything and was returned to apple.

Does this system have any external drives attached? I've seen the BridgeOS error 210 caused by a mounted hard disk array and by an optical drive that was giving hardware errors.

jat80

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
View attachment 837864 Seems like this is an issue related to a failed firmware of T2 chip. Updating or restoring the firmware should fix the issue in most cases. https://eclecticlight.co/2018/07/30/recovering-from-failed-t2-firmware-updates-and-related-problems/

I am experiencing the same issue with my 2018 mac mini. But couldnt try firmware restore as i dont have another spare mac to do that. Ll be taking to apple store this week.

Did you end up trying the firmware update for the T2?

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Hi again, old friends. I was hoping I wouldn't be back but here I am after my 2018 13" MacBook Pro has crashed twice in the past few days. Once while writing code in Visual Studio Code and the other while watching a video on YouTube.

Nothing attached. :rolleyes:

kzoojason76

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Hi again, old friends. I was hoping I wouldn't be back but here I am after my 2018 13" MacBook Pro has crashed twice in the past few days. Once while writing code in Visual Studio Code and the other while watching a video on YouTube.

Nothing attached. :rolleyes:

Did you try to reboot?? Oh wait.. it does that for you!! See... self-healing!! Nothing to see here!.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I had one last night out of the blue. I wonder how people who buy the new $13,000 mac pro will feel about it when their T2 does this....

Reactions: g75d3

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I haven’t had a crash for a few months and I’ve had 4 in the past 2 days! Yesterday, it happened and the MacBook restarted. Then, a minute or so later it crashed again. I wasn’t even doing anything.

bgalakazam

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Germany
Brand new MacBook Pro 13.3" base model. Just updated to Mojave 10.14.5. (18F132). Pretty much every other lid close causes a reboot. Not sure about the Wifi but that may be restarting as well. I have Disk Vault disabled thinking it may be the cause. I will look into this update.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
Hi all,

This may be a little premature, as the 2019 MBPs have only been available for a short time and potentially too short for the following to already have manifested themselves, but I was wondering if any of the early adopters of the 2019 MBPs have seen any of the troubles that the 2018 MBPs have experienced, i.e., has any 2019 MBP had kernel panics, WiFi disconnects, bluetooth disconnects, keyboard problems, external LG monitor disconnects, crackling speakers, corrupted internal SSDs, Software Update failures, Mac App Store failures, AirDrop failures, ping failures, rsync failures, git failures, subversion failures, improperly ejected SMB-mounted external HDDs, Time Machine failures, etc.?

If your 2019 MBP has had any of these problems or others, please list your 2019 machine's specifications and the problems you have experienced.

Thanks,
Solouki

P.S. Since it appears that all of the Mojave updates, both firmware and macOS, have not solved some of these problems for some individuals, I am hoping that the 2019 MBPs do not have these issues.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I dont have this issue on my 2018 model...so they are hit and miss...but my friend that has the 13" mbp 2018, always had 1/day, and tried to go Catalina, 3 days in a row without any errors related to this, just bugs of the new OS....so is still looks like a software thing

Reactions: Premium1

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
I dont have this issue on my 2018 model...so they are hit and miss...but my friend that has the 13" mbp 2018, always had 1/day, and tried to go Catalina, 3 days in a row without any errors related to this, just bugs of the new OS....so is still looks like a software thing

Thanks, fokmik. Let us know if your friend continues to be KP free (for many individuals it appears that new updates to the macOS/firmware lower the frequency of KPs, at least initially, but that the KPs eventually return, and sometimes months later).

Also, I'm not sure that eliminating KPs by updating to a new macOS/firmware necessarily means that the KPs are a software thing. In other words, the software/firmware can mitigate a hardware bug too, so these problems could still be a T2 chip problem that are being partially mitigated by a firmware update, don't you think? (I guess the prototypical example of this is the recent 10.14.5 macOS/firmware updates that included partial mitigation against the Zombieload Intel CPU side channel security bug.)

Let us know about any problems your friend has under 10.15, thanks.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Nothing until now,no bridge error but catalina has a lot of little iessues,some already reported here.
Now he cant decide to go back to polish mojave with bridge errors or stay with catalina without this issue
Very frustrating for him last days ..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.