Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I am already in contact with a member of their executive relations team. I can't imagine that emailing Craig would do any more than put me right back in touch with the same department I am already dealing with. As I understand it, the engineers do not talk to people, ever... Are you sure you didn't mean a senior advisor? I have already spoken to many of them.

I dug out the email (April 2, 2013) and the issue was the "reply all" bug in Mountain Lion ... Here's a quote from the actual email... he was Terry Blanchard, an "engineering manager"... so not an actual engineer, but a guy who manages engineers... and the issue was solved... Not saying that it will absolutely work, but, well... it did for me, back in the day.

My name is Terry Blanchard and I am the Engineering Manager for OS X Mail. Craig asked me to reach out to you to see what I could do to help you out. In today’s shipping version of Mountain Lion ...

Last edited:

shawndebnath

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
[doublepost=1534532637][/doublepost]
nothing is connected.

This blog (by someone writing the new os x internals book) points to RTBuddy driver being installed by default in the Bride OS image: [LINK REMOVED BY REQUEST]. Interesting, didn't know this was pre-bundled.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcat

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Installing Mojave Public beta onto an external drive to force the BridgeOS to upgrade the to v3.0 (or newer) may be the solution? So far except from booting bootcamp on an external drive I have not yet encountered another kernel panic. Meaning I have had mine waking & sleeping and normal usage for 3-4 days without a reboot (plugging in dongles, charging etc).
Care to share the steps to doing this?
[doublepost=1534533574][/doublepost]
I dug out the email (April 2, 2013) and the issue was the "reply all" bug in Mountain Lion ... Here's a quote from the actual email... he was Terry Blanchard, an "engineering manager"... so not an actual engineer, but a guy who manages engineers... and the issue was solved... Not saying that it will absolutely work, but, well... it did for me, back in the day.
Sadly the days of that kind of support might be long gone...

Reactions: M.Rizk

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Installing Mojave Public beta onto an external drive to force the BridgeOS to upgrade the to v3.0 (or newer) may be the solution? So far except from booting bootcamp on an external drive I have not yet encountered another kernel panic. Meaning I have had mine waking & sleeping and normal usage for 3-4 days without a reboot (plugging in dongles, charging etc).
And if this is indeed a possible fix, why doesn’t Apple just release an update?

CreeptoLoser

Suspended
Jul 28, 2018
Birmingham, Alabama
Installing Mojave Public beta onto an external drive to force the BridgeOS to upgrade the to v3.0 (or newer) may be the solution?

No it doesn’t and there are no firmware updates yet.

There is talk that an all round software update for MBP 18 coming to High Sierra very soon.

New firmware usually comes out when a new OS hits gold master but might come earlier this time.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
No it doesn’t and there are no firmware updates yet.

There is talk that an all round software update for MBP 18 coming to High Sierra very soon.

New firmware usually comes out when a new OS hits gold master but might come earlier this time.
And where is such said talk about an update taking place? And I assume this would also cover the iMac Pro too? Even though I have already decided to more or less get rid of it...

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
4 weeks in and my MBP has been rock solid. I even managed a drama-free wipe and reinstall. My message is one of hope to all those unduly suffering with the issues identified in this thread.
Actually this creates some fear because it would indicate that there is a large batch of bad T2 chips floating around from as far back as the release of the iMac Pro. This would NOT be good and require a recall.

blue82

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018
Can you dig in and see if yours is AppleSMC as well? You can find how to look it up here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...bridge-os-error.2128976/page-31#post-26358890

I have had two kernel panics with my replacement computer and both have the AppleSMC message.
[doublepost=1534541809][/doublepost]I just got off the phone with a senior adviser who had me install a program called "Capture Data" which collected log files which I just uploaded. She will provide them to engineering. I guess others have been through this step as well, but the more data we can get into Apple's hands, the better.

Reactions: shawndebnath

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
In the Sound Crackling thread a few members have received news there will be an update soon for their issues. Since the sound controller is in the T2 chip I presume the update will address all T2 and Bridge OS related problems.
Have a link to this thread?

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
I have had two kernel panics with my replacement computer and both have the AppleSMC message.
[doublepost=1534541809][/doublepost]I just got off the phone with a senior adviser who had me install a program called "Capture Data" which collected log files which I just uploaded. She will provide them to engineering. I guess others have been through this step as well, but the more data we can get into Apple's hands, the better.
Well... yes and no.
I am having an issue with Apple and their "commercial" team that has been unresolved for the past days/weeks. Won't bother anyone here with it since it's not that much interesting, but I realised one thing : Apple service to customer is in the past. I had, in 15 years, one time a small issue that has been resolved the best way possible. I had to right them but it went very well in the end.

This time I wrote them, again for the 2nd time in 15 years... so I am pretty sure I am not the most annoying customer they may have. Explained the issue and asked them to do what they promised me to do to solve the issue. But I was told that they changed their mind... a first in my whole "customer" experience with any company. I even told them I am not a bad guy, spent nearly an hour on the phone with some tech guy for a bug my MBP is having among other MBP in the world. To that they told me... I should call the tech support, ignoring the fact I was just trying to prove them I am not trying to abuse them, just not willing to get abused by their stupid customer policy.

My point being, if they don't respect anymore their customers (even on of the commercial support person from Apple I had on the phone acknowledged that their quality level of customer policy has gone down in the past few years), why would we, as customers, bother helping them work out an issue they created? I am not paid as a consultant for Apple trying to solve a bug here. Nor am I going to win some prize if my sysdiagnose file is THE one that helps them crack this issue.

I was, in a previous message, sharing how they asked me to send sysdiagnose files and telling others to try to do the same to help. Well, unless they solve my "commercial" issue, I will just ask them to work their bug on their own and will wait for them to produce a computer where the famous software/hardware combination is actually working. T2 being ARM so Apple Designed, Bridge OS being Apple designed, I would be quit ashamed if I were in Apple's shoes.

Maybe this is just me being angry... but I am pretty sure the Apple I knew a few years back, were even a small delay in any delivery on their side was immediately followed by excuses, explanations and compensations if necessary, is long gone. I always hoped the engineer part was still good. I am not sure anymore. Pretty sad all in all.

Reactions: guillone

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I can literally make my iMac Pro kernel panic every single time it goes to sleep now!!! I just had 4 in a row. This is unreal.
Console 2018-08-17 18-01-56.png

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Wow! They are all tied to AppleSMC? Yours might be a good case to demonstrate there really exists a problem.
I am just sitting here in total disgust wondering what exactly Apple engineers are doing. Working on the next iPhone, iPad, Car!?!?!?! Cause they sure aren't taking this very seriously. It is really unfortunate to think that in order to even get a response out of Apple that something has to go totally viral. It shouldn't take an act of God to move Apple, yet it does. This iMac Pro costs 3 times as much as my very first car!

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
It is pretty sad when the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing huh? And to make statements about which factory something is coming from would indicate hardware issues. That is NOT GOOD!!!
I already lost two older iMacs to these same problems. It's even bigger than you think.... Apple has ignored all of us, my kp crashes started two years ago. It ain't T2, it ain't High Sierra or Mojave, IT'S APPLE. As the problem worsens, I've already picked out a new Dell/Win10 machine.
Can't put my life on hold any more waiting on Apple. If I'm going to live in a buggy OS world, might as well do it for half the price on a win box....the days of "Apple, it just works" are over.

Last edited:
Reactions: claudio7ita

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I already lost two older iMacs to these same problems. It's even bigger than you think.... Apple has ignored all of us, my kp crashes started two years ago. It ain't T2, it ain't High Sierra or Mojave, IT'S APPLE. As the problem worsens, I've already picked out a new Dell/Win10 machine.
Can't put my life on hold any more waiting on Apple. If I'm going to live in a buggy OS world, might as well do it for half the price on a win box....the days of "Apple, it just works" are over.
Are you serious that you were having KPs on older iMacs?! Like what years? How bad was it?

d12460n

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2018
I also believe that its a software issue. The Kernel Panic bug_type 2010 has happened to the last two MBP 2018 13" that I received. My last day to return this MBP is Tomorrow but this Kernel Panic issue stopped happening in these last 3 days. I disabled Secure Boot and FileVault. Before this, it always reboot at least once a day while I'm using it.

I guess I will settle with this MBP and I hope its not a hardware issue.

Damn. it finally crashes again after 5 days.... I guess its better than daily crashes :p

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
Are you serious that you were having KPs on older iMacs?! Like what years? How bad was it?
2010 and 2011. They are both long gone, I hauled them off to the recycle service last year. My 2007 finally died this year, last OS was El Capitan and it never crashed, PS finally died so it's gone too. It was a great iMac.
I use Logic Pro a lot. I have nine years invested in that DAW. It's the best DAW I've ever used and I was fully prepared to pull the trigger on a new iMac Pro, but now that I know the same crashes are happening on it, I am convinced it's a system wide problem, ( I have no proof, just a gut feeling and two crashed iMacs) I've been 9 months downtime now for recording, so I'm a little upset(lol). When I read all your threads i pretty much knew I had to walk away from Apple. I've poured over every article and forum I can find. No fix on the horizon and cricket noises from Apple. The only way to reach Apple is buy a Dell. I hate Windows, but my son, who's way smarter than me, is running Ableton Live on Win10 and he says it's rock solid, so time for this old dog to learn new tricks. I used MSFT from 1983 to 2007, switched to MacOS, had a great run for nine years and now that run is over. If Deadmau5 can run Ableton on Win, so can I.... a lot of studios are going back to Windows 10 as well, so I know it's not just me having a problem. Apple doesn't care, I'm now convinced....
I hope you solve your problem, thanks for sharing your info, you saved me from a $5000 nightmare......

Last edited:
Reactions: dspdoc

zargap

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2017
reposting here from https://discussions.apple.com/message/33766089#33766089, to solicit more feedback.

I received my brand new Macbook Pro yesterday and after letting it sleep overnight, I unfortunately ran into the same BridgeOS error when I opened it this morning. Specs: i7/32GB RAM/1TB SSD. No accessories connected via USB or Bluetooth except for USB-C power chord. Computer lid was shut overnight. This is a clean re-install with option command R combo and formatted with APFS (case sensitive, encrypted).

After a bit of digging, I believe in this particular case, the blame falls to AppleSMC. How? If you look at the panic string, you will observe:

"Panicked thread: 0xffffffe0009706e0, backtrace: 0xffffffe016b3b530, tid: 337"
ref: https://gist.github.com/sdebnath/fab15b864c09fb70312f9c13c06e03c3#file-gistfile1-txt-L38

tid: 337 in this case refers to thread ID 337. The stack frame right below it is unfortunately undecipherable as I don't have the symbols to match the addresses to function names, however, the full report does list out the processes and associated threads under "processByPid" and "threadById" respectively. You can search for the tid and in my case:

"name": "AppleSMC"
ref: https://gist.github.com/sdebnath/fab15b864c09fb70312f9c13c06e03c3#file-gistfile1-txt-L2009

I will try to reset the SMC using the instructions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 and see if that improves anything. Very curios if others are observing failures with AppleSMC as well. Would help narrow down this issue for sure!

Full panic report: https://gist.github.com/sdebnath/fab15b864c09fb70312f9c13c06e03c3
My most recent crash (just now) also points to Apple SMC.

Reactions: shawndebnath

ricky1989

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
And if this is indeed a possible fix, why doesn’t Apple just release an update?
My friend who works as Apple speculated since Mojave is close to release, essentially all macos resources have been diverted to Mojave, leaving High Sierra high and dry.

Do give it a try, I have been quite state on my High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208) w/ Bridge OS 3.0 (16P50351c) for little more than a week. The previous quote of 3-4 days of usage without a reboot are actual but I have had the BridgeOS upgraded since 10Aug.
[doublepost=1534555014][/doublepost]
I can literally make my iMac Pro kernel panic every single time it goes to sleep now!!! I just had 4 in a row. This is unreal. View attachment 776525
This is intense..... you have even moved these Error report folders onto shortcut for quick access...

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
My friend who works as Apple speculated since Mojave is close to release, essentially all macos resources have been diverted to Mojave, leaving High Sierra high and dry.

Do give it a try, I have been quite state on my High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2208) w/ Bridge OS 3.0 (16P50351c) for little more than a week. The previous quote of 3-4 days of usage without a reboot are actual but I have had the BridgeOS upgraded since 10Aug.
[doublepost=1534555014][/doublepost]
This is intense..... you have even moved these Error report folders onto shortcut for quick access...
How do you upgrade Bridge OS? And Apple better not leave High Sierra out of an update!!! I am in a professional recording studio environment and we don’t upgrade to the latest OS as soon as it comes out. It would kill much of the software we use.
[doublepost=1534560630][/doublepost]
2010 and 2011. They are both long gone, I hauled them off to the recycle service last year. My 2007 finally died this year, last OS was El Capitan and it never crashed, PS finally died so it's gone too. It was a great iMac.
I use Logic Pro a lot. I have nine years invested in that DAW. It's the best DAW I've ever used and I was fully prepared to pull the trigger on a new iMac Pro, but now that I know the same crashes are happening on it, I am convinced it's a system wide problem, ( I have no proof, just a gut feeling and two crashed iMacs) I've been 9 months downtime now for recording, so I'm a little upset(lol). When I read all your threads i pretty much knew I had to walk away from Apple. I've poured over every article and forum I can find. No fix on the horizon and cricket noises from Apple. The only way to reach Apple is buy a Dell. I hate Windows, but my son, who's way smarter than me, is running Ableton Live on Win10 and he says it's rock solid, so time for this old dog to learn new tricks. I used MSFT from 1983 to 2007, switched to MacOS, had a great run for nine years and now that run is over. If Deadmau5 can run Ableton on Win, so can I.... a lot of studios are going back to Windows 10 as well, so I know it's not just me having a problem. Apple doesn't care, I'm now convinced....
I hope you solve your problem, thanks for sharing your info, you saved me from a $5000 nightmare......
I am sorry you went through mess too. I’m so upset with Apple right now.
[doublepost=1534562523][/doublepost]Here's my "goodnight kiss" everyone. It's about my 15th Kernel panic of the day on the iMac Pro... I don't know how the Apple engineers are sleeping at night. If Steve Jobs was still alive at least a handful of them WOULD NOT be!
Problem Report for Kernel 2018-08-17 22-19-51.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.