Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
What you guys are describing about the T2’s and shipping it anyways despite problems in previous iterations …

That’s exactly what they did with the Keyboards too.

They had plenty of known problems early on with the 12 inch ones but then decided to continue ahead and put that keyboard in every one of their laptops and we have been dealing with the fallout ever since.

I personally believe the bean counter thing comes into play here also because there’s probably a strong reluctance to change course and spend the money to engineer and retool the dramatic change needed before the end of their planned out lifecycle for the current body styles.

It’s really frustrating. Apple really feels like they’ve just turned into any old computer tech company that happens to still have fancy looking designs. The magic and attention to detail just feels gone

Somebody needs to remind Johnny Ive that how it works is every bit as important as how it looks. Good design is not just one aspect

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
What is the difference, if anyone knows, between Apples T2 chip and the dTPM chips used in PC's? Basically the same, with Apples being a proprietary design? I just haven't heard stories of issues with the dTPM 2.0 used in PC's.

TPM's mostly deal with security. The T2 does security, NAND controller, Hey Siri, camera processing, and a bit more.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
TPM's mostly deal with security. The T2 does security, NAND controller, Hey Siri, camera processing, and a bit more.

Okay. So say using a Microsoft Surface Book 2 for a comparative example. Does dTPM 2.0 then not control the always listening “Hey Cortana,” Windows Hello, Bit Locker, NAND controller, etc. as well?

Edit: This article and section under Windows 10 features (8th heading) is what got me wondering with dTMP 2.0 standard..

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/tpm/tpm-recommendations

Sorry, I realize it’s a bit off topic, but just wondered why no issues with dTPM 2.0 and this mess with T2

Last edited:

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I just went 6 days without a crash. Woke it up this morning and all was fine. Put it back to sleep and came back an hour later to the password screen and error report. Nothing was connected except the power cord, no applications were running, and all the energy saver suggestions listed a few posts back were set that way.

This crash was a little different than the previous ones. All other crashes happened after the machine had been asleep for many hours. This time, the computer slept overnight and I woke it up as usual (just to see if it crashed). When it woke up normally, I put it right back to sleep and found that it crashed less within an hour. Not sure if this is relevant, but just another observation...

I would recommend those of you who still have issues to contact the editors here and ask them to run another headline. Headlines are the only thing that seems to get Apple's attention.

Last edited:

blue82

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018
I mean, if we were to speculate, you have sort of nailed it.

I installed the Mojave beta, and while it is working great with zero issues in all of my daily use, I’m scared to death to try and go back to High Sierra. I have not read one post or article where someone was able to boot to internet recovery, wipe the ssd and then re-install High Sierra. If I still had my 2016 or 2017 this would be a non-issue.

None of the Apple support articles mention turning off the “secure boot” in recovery mode. That is something I have learned from here. I totally get user security and such, but the T2 chip seems to have made everything so much more complicated. And for what?

I was able to upgrade from High Sierra to the Mohave Beta and then boot to Internet recovery, wipe the ssd and then reinstall High Sierra. I did that with the MacBook Pro that I exchanged for the one I have now. I had never turned on any of the secure boot stuff if that matters.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I just went 6 days without a crash. Woke it up this morning and all was fine. Put it back to sleep and came back an hour later to the password screen and error report. Nothing was connected except the power cord, no applications were running, and all the energy saver suggestions listed a few posts back were set that way.
The nightmare that can't be woken from, huh?

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I was able to upgrade from High Sierra to the Mohave Beta and then boot to Internet recovery, wipe the ssd and then reinstall High Sierra. I did that with the MacBook Pro that I exchanged for the one I have now. I had never turned on any of the secure boot stuff if that matters.
The secure boot is on by default, I do believe. Interesting that you were able to go back. Thanks!

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I thought it was too. And then BOOM, KP!

I'm not going to bother exchanging for another unit then. It seem pretty clear that this is either a software/firmware issue or all the T2 chips are defective. Either way, an exchange won't fix that and just requires the customer to deal with moving data over and reinstalling things. For those without problems, I'm guessing they just haven't stumbled into the "magical" combination to make this happen. Maybe they don't put their computers to sleep, maybe they don't use a certain app, or whatever.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I'm not going to bother exchanging for another unit then. It seem pretty clear that this is either a software/firmware issue or all the T2 chips are defective. Either way, an exchange won't fix that and just requires the customer to deal with moving data over and reinstalling things. For those without problems, I'm guessing they just haven't stumbled into the "magical" combination to make this happen. Maybe they don't put their computers to sleep, maybe they don't use a certain app, or whatever.
I agree completely with you and you echo exactly what I have said in a number of posts. I think this issue exists across all machines with a T2 chip and the only reason that we aren't seeing this go completely viral is probably because other users just haven't stumbled upon it yet. This could be due to any number of reasons, but I am guessing the majority or people just shut their machines down.

And yes, continuing to exchange machines is futile.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Yeah, maybe, but mine was completely fine until day 16. I was putting it to sleep when not using it and the only external thing was the same 4K LG monitor. I had the same software open every day, too. On one day, though, it just didn’t wake properly and I got the error. Difficult to know what caused it. That’s over a week ago and I’ve not had another since. Same software, same sleep patterns, etc. A replacement is coming next week but I’m not too sure it’ll be better. I took it because they offered it me on day 16 and said the new one will have its own 14 day return/refund period that can actually be 30. Let’s see. If I don’t see a software fix I imagine I’ll return and stick with my work MacBook for a bit longer. Frustrating.

kryptticAZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, maybe, but mine was completely fine until day 16. I was putting it to sleep when not using it and the only external thing was the same 4K LG monitor. I had the same software open every day, too. On one day, though, it just didn’t wake properly and I got the error. Difficult to know what caused it. That’s over a week ago and I’ve not had another since. Same software, same sleep patterns, etc. A replacement is coming next week but I’m not too sure it’ll be better. I took it because they offered it me on day 16 and said the new one will have its own 14 day return/refund period that can actually be 30. Let’s see. If I don’t see a software fix I imagine I’ll return and stick with my work MacBook for a bit longer. Frustrating.

When I got mine, it crashed two times in three days. Then I went a full 6 days without a crash without changing anything.

Luckily, it has only ever crashed (albeit 9 times) when sleeping. I'm now making sure to close all applications before sleeping to avoid data loss. I also turn off my monitor and disconnect everything except for the power adapter just in case this minimizes crashes.

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
So I have to ask all of you here that are plagued by this disaster, what are you doing to get Apple's attention?

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I can no longer trust my machine. On previous Macs, I never had an issue with working on something, closing the machine and not having to worry about wether or not the project I was just working on would be there the next time I opened the machine. Overall very displeased with the lack of support I have received for this machine on AppleCare's end and the lack of care that went into this machine before it was released. It seems they spent this model year's entire budget on 'fixing' the keyboard and forgot to do any other QC on the rest of the product.

I wish I had returned this pile when I was still within the return window. I was stupid for thinking that Apple would fix the kernel panicking issue in a timely manner.

Reactions: Queen6 and dspdoc

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I wish I had returned this pile when I was still within the return window. I was stupid for thinking that Apple would fix the kernel panicking issue in a timely manner.

Call Apple and tell them you want to return it regardless of the 14 day window. From everything I know, and have seen myself, they'll honour it for 30 days. It's worth a try. I had no problem on day 16. As many have pointed out, just be polite and tell them how disappointed you are with your new computer.

Reactions: dspdoc

Qaulity

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2018
Well, I have a replacement MBP on the way, arriving Monday, and have until the 28th to ship the current one back. They said they could extend that period if I needed. So, I could maybe try it and report back the result.

The T2 chip is a little funny when you consider Apple is also the company that had an 18th month old security bug and then later some sort of password bug where if you typed anything at all in as a "password hint" it would instead display your actual password, rather than the hint. Now they are ultra worried about security, even if they have to force it with a flawed chip?

Wtf. You got a replacement before you sent the old one back??? I had to ship mine back first. I’ve been out a laptop for 2 weeks. ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Wtf. You got a replacement before you sent the old one back??? I had to ship mine back first. I’ve been out a laptop for 2 weeks. Fack.

They tried that with me when I called and I told them there’s no way I’m doing that. I was told there’s no expedited shipping like you can get with replacement iOS devices but I pushed, while being friendly and polite, and was then put on hold. A few minutes later they could do it. My new one arrives on the 23rd and I still have the original.

Reactions: SDColorado

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I agree completely with you and you echo exactly what I have said in a number of posts. I think this issue exists across all machines with a T2 chip and the only reason that we aren't seeing this go completely viral is probably because other users just haven't stumbled upon it yet. This could be due to any number of reasons, but I am guessing the majority or people just shut their machines down.

And yes, continuing to exchange machines is futile.
There have been articles written about this, back towards the end of July on many Mac news sites.

Reactions: dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
I can no longer trust my machine. On previous Macs, I never had an issue with working on something, closing the machine and not having to worry about wether or not the project I was just working on would be there the next time I opened the machine. Overall very displeased with the lack of support I have received for this machine on AppleCare's end and the lack of care that went into this machine before it was released. It seems they spent this model year's entire budget on 'fixing' the keyboard and forgot to do any other QC on the rest of the product.

They will take it back. Especially given the circumstances. Push the issue.

Qaulity

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2018
They tried that with me when I called and I told them there’s no way I’m doing that. I was told there’s no expedited shipping like you can get with replacement iOS devices but I pushed, while being friendly and polite, and was then put on hold. A few minutes later they could do it. My new one arrives on the 23rd and I still have the original.

I thought my heavy sighing and saying I need this ASAP because I do work on it would be sufficient. I guess not. Man that irritates me. They even told me it was going to be expedited shipping...7 business days doesn’t feel too expedited to me....

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
I got my replacement unit with macOS 10.13.6 bundle 17G2112 with the crypto_val errors obviously.
So I wiped the drive (Disk Utility from Cmd+R at boot), messed it up by doing it with APFS Encrypted so was asked a password at first boot.
Wiped it again and... got a message saying it wasn't able to contact Apple Server.

Reboot, and I guess I am now in Internet Recovery as you can see :
IMG_1439.jpeg

So... waiting to see what's the next step of this Internet Recovery.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I got my replacement unit with macOS 10.13.6 bundle 17G2112 with the crypto_val errors obviously.
So I wiped the drive (Disk Utility from Cmd+R at boot), messed it up by doing it with APFS Encrypted so was asked a password at first boot.
Wiped it again and... got a message saying it wasn't able to contact Apple Server.

Reboot, and I guess I am now in Internet Recovery as you can see :
View attachment 776693

So... waiting to see what's the next step of this Internet Recovery.

Good luck! If that is 29 minutes to boot internet recovery it seems very excessive!

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
Good luck! If that is 29 minutes to boot internet recovery it seems very excessive!
The remaining time moved up quickly. macOS is finishing it's installation already.

I was rebooted in the usual Cmd+R utility, chose Reinstall macOS and it was doing it. Will report what version of macOS I got (but will install Mojave anyway just after)

BTW the fans are spinning a lot during all this installation process..!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.