Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
The remaining time moved up quickly. macOS is finishing it's installation already.

I was rebooted in the usual Cmd+R utility, chose Reinstall macOS and it was doing it. Will report what version of macOS I got (but will install Mojave anyway just after)

BTW the fans are spinning a lot during all this installation process..!

The fans on mine kicked in while installing Mojave. A lot going on there.

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
The remaining time moved up quickly. macOS is finishing it's installation already.

I was rebooted in the usual Cmd+R utility, chose Reinstall macOS and it was doing it. Will report what version of macOS I got (but will install Mojave anyway just after)

BTW the fans are spinning a lot during all this installation process..!
FWIW, Internet Recovery got me macOS 10.13.6 (17G2208) which I guess includes the Supplemental Update.

Reactions: Weaselboy

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
So I wasn't looking at the proper line.. and can confirm the 432W when plugging in to the upper left USB-C...
For @gsbobbyd : My replacement unit shows 86W from all 4 USB-C ports when using the charger and cable from my first MBPr. Only difference here is that it's not yet on Mojave. Are you on High Sierra or Mojave ?

I have yet to see if I am also free from the chime issue regarding charging.

Also I noticed the TouchID button isn't loose as the one of my first unit which can move a little up/down/left/right. Always felt strange to click on it because of that "looseness" but I thought this was normal for this specific key.

EDIT:
Updated to Mojave latest Public Beta, bundle 18A365a.
And the left upper USB-C reports 432W again. So we know it's a bug from the Beta, will report it.

EDIT BIS:
Every time I click on "Trackpad" icon in my System Preferences, Sys Pref app crashes. Same goes for my first unit. Another bug to report... I am lucky today...!

If anyone needs it, to activate tap to click you may use this in Terminal :
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad Clicking -bool true

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
So I have to ask all of you here that are plagued by this disaster, what are you doing to get Apple's attention?

Well, I have a replacement coming Monday. I will give a replacement a try as you did. After that its on to a Windows machine. I enjoy using Windows 10 and there is some nice hardware on the other side of the fence as well.
[doublepost=1534639284][/doublepost]
They tried that with me when I called and I told them there’s no way I’m doing that. I was told there’s no expedited shipping like you can get with replacement iOS devices but I pushed, while being friendly and polite, and was then put on hold. A few minutes later they could do it. My new one arrives on the 23rd and I still have the original.

I did the same. Stayed polite, calm and respectful, but insisted on speaking to the supervisor of the CS rep who told me that they could not do that. She begrudgingly put me on hold, but not after stating "I can get you a supervisor, but they will just tell you the same thing I just told you." But after a brief hold time, I was greeted by a supervisor who said that as a policy matter they no longer do advanced exchanges, but could understand my need to keep the machine I had and could make it happen. So another on way arriving Monday and I have until the 28th to return the old one (could be extended if necessary).

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Okay. So say using a Microsoft Surface Book 2 for a comparative example. Does dTPM 2.0 then not control the always listening “Hey Cortana,” Windows Hello, Bit Locker, NAND controller, etc. as well?

Edit: This article and section under Windows 10 features (8th heading) is what got me wondering with dTMP 2.0 standard..

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/tpm/tpm-recommendations

Sorry, I realize it’s a bit off topic, but just wondered why no issues with dTPM 2.0 and this mess with T2

TPM's can do some of those things, but they are not to the level of what the T2 is. The T2 is basically an Apple Watch SOC and kernel running what used to be run by other discreet chips.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
TPM's can do some of those things, but they are not to the level of what the T2 is. The T2 is basically an Apple Watch SOC and kernel running what used to be run by other discreet chips.

I appreciate the clarification on that. Sounds like Apple bit off a little more than they could chew maybe

Chughes

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
Happened to me for the first time today after having the computer for about 2 weeks. It happened while in sleep, attached to an OWC TB2 dock via Apple TB3>TB2 dongle, with an eizo monitor hooked up to the hub. Woke the computer a few hours after sleep and it had the Bridge OS error and had restarted.

Reactions: dspdoc

dspdoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2017
Happened to me for the first time today after having the computer for about 2 weeks. It happened while in sleep, attached to an OWC TB2 dock via Apple TB3>TB2 dongle, with an eizo monitor hooked up to the hub. Woke the computer a few hours after sleep and it had the Bridge OS error and had restarted.
We welcome you too to the club. :(

BridgeOS

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2018
Is anyone here still in contact with those higher-up Apple support people? Are there any updates from them?

onelm

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2018
Lurker here, thought it's worth sharing my experience given how frustrating the problem is. I've been fighting this issue with a 2017 MBP for many months. I just upgraded to a 2018 and have been experiencing the same sleep/wake KP with Bridge OS.

My setup is:
2018 MBP 15" i9 Radeon 560X
Single TB3 cable to CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt Dock
2x Dell 4K displays (one via TS3 dock Displayport, the other via TS3 TB port using TB -> Displayport cable)

I experienced the sleep/wake problem with either one or both displays connected, with the lid closed as well as with the lid open (though less often when open or with a single display), and also when connecting the displays directly to the MBP without the dock.

This is the relevant info from a typical crash log, for comparison:
"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 2.4.1 (15P6703)"
"macOSPanicString" : "panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80072fab10): \"Sleep\/Wake hang detected\"@\/BuildRoot\/Library\/Caches\/com.apple.xbs

After reading the above comments regarding upgrading the Bridge OS 3.0, I wanted to give it a try, but I don't want to upgrade my machine to Mojave, so I did the following:
- Downloaded the beta utility
- Downloaded Mojave beta installer
- Used the "createinstallmedia" program in the Mojave installer to create a USB install stick (maybe not necessary?)
- Installed Mojave on an _external_ USB drive formatted APFS
- Allowed the MBP to reboot after install-- it went through a short process (firmware update?), then rebooted again
- On the second reboot, I got the "security settings do not allow this Mac to use an external startup disk" security message. I did NOT change my settings, I just reset the boot disk back to my internal High Sierra volume and rebooted, and have never booted into Mojave.

...I can't confirm that this upgraded BridgeOS, but I suspect it may have. Since this process, I have not had a sleep/wake crash, and I have let the MBP sleep for long periods. My displays are also MUCH more responsive at wake than before, when it could take 5-10 seconds for both to wake.

If anyone knows how to check the Bridge OS version, let me know and I can confirm if the above process has been sufficient to upgrade Bridge OS on a High Sierra machine. I will also post if I ultimately experience another kernel panic during sleep/wake, at which point I'll also be able to confirm the Bridge OS version.

UPDATE:
- the above process does update Bridge OS
- Unfortunately, I have since had a sleep/wake crash although with a different message, will post details in thread

Last edited:

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Lurker here, thought it's worth sharing my experience given how frustrating the problem is. I've been fighting this issue with a 2017 MBP for many months. I just upgraded to a 2018 and have been experiencing the same sleep/wake KP with Bridge OS.

My setup is:
2x Dell 4K displays (one via TS3 dock Displayport, the other via TS3 TB port using TB -> Displayport cable)

I experienced the sleep/wake problem with either one or both displays connected, with the lid closed as well as with the lid open (though less often when open or with a single display), and also when connecting the displays directly to the MBP without the dock.

After reading the above comments regarding upgrading the Bridge OS 3.0, I wanted to give it a try, but I don't want to upgrade my machine to Mojave, so I did the following:
- Used the "createinstallmedia" program in the Mojave installer to create a USB install stick (maybe not necessary?)
- Allowed the MBP to reboot after install-- it went through a short process (firmware update?), then rebooted again
- On the second reboot, I got the "security settings do not allow this Mac to use an external startup disk" security message. I did NOT change my settings, I just reset the boot disk back to my internal High Sierra volume and rebooted, and have never booted into Mojave.

...I can't confirm that this upgraded BridgeOS, but I suspect it may have. Since this process, I have not had a sleep/wake crash, and I have let the MBP sleep for long periods. My displays are also MUCH more responsive at wake than before, when it could take 5-10 seconds for both to wake.

If anyone knows how to check the Bridge OS version, let me know and I can confirm if the above process has been sufficient to upgrade Bridge OS on a High Sierra machine. I will also post if I ultimately experience another kernel panic during sleep/wake, at which point I'll also be able to confirm the Bridge OS version.
I’m pretty sure that BridgeOS is specific to the T2 chip in the iMac Pro and the 2018 MacBook Pro, and you mentioned you had the same issues on a 2017?

Reactions: dspdoc

ricky1989

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009

My setup is:

Good to see there are more people employing this temporary solution. There is a way to check BridgeOS version but its rather silly. It is to recreate a KP, my ways are 1. hot-unplugging egpu, 2. Booting into bootcamp and then reboot back into mac.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011

System Information (the app) > Hardware > Controller

onelm

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2018
I’m pretty sure that BridgeOS is specific to the T2 chip in the iMac Pro and the 2018 MacBook Pro, and you mentioned you had the same issues on a 2017?

I'm not sure about Bridge OS being specific to T2 vs non-T2 w/ Touchbar, but I absolutely had the exact same behaviour on a 2017 15" MBP i7 Radeon 560. I unfortunately don't have those logs to confirm Bridge OS was there, it was only after I started getting the error on the 2018 that I saw the reports of the potential T2 crashes and ended up in this thread.

Even if it wasn't Bridge OS (on the 2017), the manifestation of the error was the same -- lengthy periods of sleep would almost always result in a KP. The only way I could leave my 2017 MBP sleeping overnight without a KP was if I turned off the connected displays. Maybe some other underlying SMC-related issue?

Last edited:

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
Been stable for a week now, but I had a minor issue hooking it up to keyboard, mouse, power and display this morning with blackened screen and it being unable to wake. I took like a minute or two before the external display got activated, but the open MacBook Pro internal display was black. Got it to work again, by closing the MBP back to clamshell, and letting the external display be the only one activated.

Found an error in the console regarding Preview and sandbox access violation, I can´t figure out if there is a link here.

After this error, my computer has gone back to waking in its normal fashion.

Last edited:

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm not sure about Bridge OS being specific to T2 vs non-T2 w/ Touchbar, but I absolutely had the exact same behaviour on a 2017...

I don't think that there is any doubt that the T2 came to the MBP in 2018 and that it runs Bridge OS, or that its genesis was the system-on-a-chip designed for the Apple Watch under the Watch OS moniker.

onelm

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2018
I don't think that there is any doubt that the T2 came to the MBP in 2018 and that it runs Bridge OS, or that its genesis was the system-on-a-chip designed for the Apple Watch under the Watch OS moniker.

Of course, you're definitely correct about the T2 -- what I wasn't sure about was Bridge OS, and if/how any related code might be shared with the T1 on the earlier touchbar MBP's. I didn't realise only the T2's code is called "Bridge OS"

Either my 2017 MBP KPs and 2018 MBP KPs are incredibly coincidental (seems unlikely?), or there's something common that perhaps has become even more problematic with the introduction of the T2/"Bridge OS"...

m-e

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2015
This will display the firmware version, not the actual bridgeOS version.
Firmware version are linked to Bridge OS version.
See my previous posts about which firmware version I had with each Bridge OS for example :)
[doublepost=1534679364][/doublepost]
For @gsbobbyd : My replacement unit shows 86W from all 4 USB-C ports when using the charger and cable from my first MBPr. Only difference here is that it's not yet on Mojave. Are you on High Sierra or Mojave ?

I have yet to see if I am also free from the chime issue regarding charging.

Also I noticed the TouchID button isn't loose as the one of my first unit which can move a little up/down/left/right. Always felt strange to click on it because of that "looseness" but I thought this was normal for this specific key.

EDIT:
Updated to Mojave latest Public Beta, bundle 18A365a.
And the left upper USB-C reports 432W again. So we know it's a bug from the Beta, will report it.

EDIT BIS:
Every time I click on "Trackpad" icon in my System Preferences, Sys Pref app crashes. Same goes for my first unit. Another bug to report... I am lucky today...!

If anyone needs it, to activate tap to click you may use this in Terminal :
Code:
defaults write com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad Clicking -bool true
Quick feedback, the chime issue is also "available" on my replacement unit... At least my Touch ID button is properly fixed. Checked today others MBP in an AS, all are properly fixed like my new unit and unlike my first unit. So some defect here in the "quality control" at least on the hardware part...

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
I just had to try something yesterday as last resort and upgraded my MBP to Mojave beta.I finished the upgrade, used it for a while, and closed the machine to sleep for the night. This morning when I woke it up, it crashed, yes, bridge os crash, very first sleep. So..., given for how long this has been going on, possible multiple hardware (iMac, MBP), multiple versions of BridgeOS, etc, at this moment I don't see Apple coming up with a fix anytime soon. In the meantime, they continue releasing hardware and OS with the same bug. I'm returning my machine tomorrow (or do they answer the phone on Sundays?). I haven't sold yet my 2012 MBP (the original retina MBP, still useful) so will just go back to that, needed a bit more power, but can't live with a laptop that can't sleep after spending 4 grand on it.

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_system_state":"running","bug_type":"210","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.0 (16P50361a)","timestamp":"2018-08-19 12:19:21.78 +0000","incident_id":"3FF6A358-7E32-4FA1-9B8C-1B99A7467B80"}

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I just had to try something yesterday as last resort and upgraded my MBP to Mojave beta.I finished the upgrade, used it for a while, and closed the machine to sleep for the night. This morning when I woke it up, it crashed, yes, bridge os crash, very first sleep. So..., given for how long this has been going on, possible multiple hardware (iMac, MBP), multiple versions of BridgeOS, etc, at this moment I don't see Apple coming up with a fix anytime soon. In the meantime, they continue releasing hardware and OS with the same bug. I'm returning my machine tomorrow (or do they answer the phone on Sundays?). I haven't sold yet my 2012 MBP (the original retina MBP, still useful) so will just go back to that, needed a bit more power, but can't live with a laptop that can't sleep after spending 4 grand on it.

That’s bad news. At least there was some hope that maybe Mojave would remedy it. That does not appear to be the case. At least not with a version up to the current version.

In answer to the Sunday question, they do pick up their phone on Sunday. I arranged to exchange my first one on a Sunday morning.

Reactions: bigcat

guillone

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
So I have to ask all of you here that are plagued by this disaster, what are you doing to get Apple's attention?
Seriously, I am not spending any more money on anything Apple. I am on open forums and comments on youtube saying out loud, I will not do business with Apple - not just Macs. No more iphones, ipads, nada. That's what I'm doing to get their attention. Let them take a big hit in quarterly earnings and they might finally take notice. You bend the will of a company by boycotting them. You talk smack about them every chance you get and keep up the pressure. That's the only thing I know how to do to get their attention. If they can't make a computer that works, why would anyone keep buying it? These guys are nobody special, they don't care about you or your problems. Why pay them for that experience? It's not just the T2 chip. Somebody at Apple has screwed up the code so bad that it crashes any Mac you can buy. I've seen this same screen on 4 different iMacs over the last two years. I had less crashes on Windows in 24 years than I've had with Apple in the last two years. I don't care why it's crashing, that's Apple's problem. They don't care that my Macs have crashed, obviously by their complete silence and ignoring all of these threads.
After two years, I don't need any more evidence that they aren't working on this. The culture of Apple has obviously changed. Their computers are over-priced and underpowered and thermally run too hot. You can buy anything Apple makes for half the price and get a better build. The ONLY reason I used them was for nine years the OS was rock solid.
Now, it's a buggy piece of garbage. Windows 10 is now a better platform than Apple. I thought that would never happen. It just did..... why do I say that? Because I've just spent the last nine months researching Apple and how to find a replacement PC and software for Logic. I don't want a PC, I now have no alternative, it's more reliable. Where's Tim Cook? cricket noises.... they owe all of us an apology and a new computer. I've invested thousands of dollars in their products. Tim, if you're listening: you just lost a really good customer...... I want Tim Cook to personally give me an iMac Pro. Then I want a follow up every month from Apple's engineering for a year to see if I've had ANY crashes. I want the Heads at Apple to make a video that will be released on Youtube for all to see whether or not their iMac Pro works for a year without a crash. I want the top guys at Apple to take responsibility for their garbage......after a year, if I've had NO crashes, I will personally apologize to Apple and pay them full price for the iMac Pro. That's the only way they get my business back. I don't trust Apple any more. Without trust, you don't have a company or customers. Trust me, I'm not expecting any response from Apple... lol......

Last edited:

Daveiggy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
UK
I am following this thread and very eager to hear of its conclusion, just want to say a lot of people are reading this and assuming this mac pro is faulty. I have had mine a month now and haven't had 1 single Bridge os crash. Its been rebooted about 3 times in this period and is constantly on sleep (lid closed) for 3/4 of the night/day. If it is a software/setting issue (and not hardware) I wonder if its because I didn't set up as a new machine, I restored from time machine from my 2012 MBpro Retina. Maybe some setting carried over that doesn't cause the mac to crash ( like some setting in el capitan that has carried through due to me installing every update over itself since then) that a fresh install of high sierra doesn't have, just an idea!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.